Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Drashin posted:

For the guy that finished the game already is there a new game + and if so does the game automatically start it after you beat the game or does it allow you to play after the final boss?

Also has anyone managed to get any of Poppi's tech manuals from playing Tiger Tiger? I heard sometimes the big chest drops them but I have not seen anyone say they actually got one from it.

Yeah, I've gotten Lucky and Ether 1 through 3
Also I understand there's codes and secrets in tiger tiger? Where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think I got to the krabble core farming point everyone has been talking about but does succeeding/failing the QTEs for salvaging affect if enemies will spawn with your salvage or not?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Internet Kraken posted:

No its pretty bad. Like, even if you think all the voice acting is perfectly fine, lines being repeated extremely frequently is obviously a problem. Also none of lines sync up with the actual models mouths which creates a huge disconnect.

The constant combat chatter is really not the dub's fault, and the lip flap doesn't really match in the JP version either.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lakbay posted:

I think I got to the krabble core farming point everyone has been talking about but does succeeding/failing the QTEs for salvaging affect if enemies will spawn with your salvage or not?

Apparently you're supposed to gently caress up every prompt to increase the likelihood of getting the krabble

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm assuming that if you can bind a blade to someone, you get to keep them as a party member?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I finished chapter 4 and how does this game manage to keep getting more and more anime

Also the second Zeke scene with the bitchslap, lmao

Damone
May 3, 2009
You can charge up arts really fast by constantly canceling your auto attack it turns out. Do a swing, move, do a swing and move. Works pretty well with medium speed weapons. Handy if you need that topple/launch/smash reaction to finish charging now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Rex with a spear is :discourse:. Takes a bit to charge your arts but once you do it's nonstop combos

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Echophonic posted:

I'm assuming that if you can bind a blade to someone, you get to keep them as a party member?

Yes, Morag's permanent.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, Morag's permanent.

Sweet. I may or may not have gotten said character like 4 unique blades.

Is there a benefit to having two weapons of the same type on a character? I assume they don't share cooldowns or the like? I got two hammers on someone and I just realized they had the same arts, but different elements.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Internet Kraken posted:

No its pretty bad. Like, even if you think all the voice acting is perfectly fine, lines being repeated extremely frequently is obviously a problem. Also none of lines sync up with the actual models mouths which creates a huge disconnect.

From what I see the Japanese voices don’t match either. :nignog:

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
Oh cool, I level enough to try and kill the bird that randomly swoops in on me and while I'm fighting that, Another bird 4 levels above THAT one randomly joins in and wipes me.

Seriously who thought this was a good idea?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Christ on a crutch, my body was not ready for Brushy Crushy or whatever it's called. Tora is such a weeb.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lodin posted:

Christ on a crutch, my body was not ready for Brushy Crushy or whatever it's called. Tora is such a weeb.

Brotjer
You don't know the half of it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lodin posted:

I can at least tell you that that is probably the worst the game gets in that regard. Nia's reaction seems to be the intended one for the audience.

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!

Lodin posted:

For those that said translating Japanese to English is easy I give you exhibit A; the result of trying to localize the concept of moe.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Lol so I'm doing the big fight in Temperantia and the first form still confuses me. Attacking the vulnerable target after half-health resulted in in doing rather sizable damage back to me, unless I just used my super ultra light blast attack. That's basically how I beat it, swapping off that target to the other one, then attacking it once my combo was built up, but I feel like I did that fight wrong.

Similarly, in the fight afterwards, are enemies launching my whole party gonna be commonplace? How do I stop being launched?

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
So what I'm hearing is that the problems that people have with the dub are the same as they are in Japanese.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Yummy Dead Cow posted:

For those that said translating Japanese to English is easy I give you exhibit A; the result of trying to localize the concept of moe.
Honestly, to me, the entire problem is that they translated it just fine and the concept itself is creepy

(they did good work on Tora, I think.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Party Meiser posted:

So what I'm hearing is that the problems that people have with the dub are the same as they are in Japanese.

Some people can't handle 2 being more anime.

Some people can't stand how poor the quality of voice direction and general acting there is among key characters. These are not the same two groups.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I'd complain about some of the worse bits of the voice acting, but the grumpy scottish cat more than makes up for it in my book.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'd complain about some of the worse bits of the voice acting, but the grumpy scottish cat more than makes up for it in my book.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Some people don't know what all the fuss is about and are rather enjoying themselves. Most, even, if I were to guess.

That blushy crushy scene was loving amazing because Nia's just sitting there representing how utterly uncomfortable any normal person would be (and likely the audience). I can appreciate that Tora's just like, living life, man. It's still cringey. But the good kind.

Pretend Tora is Michael Scott in that scene and Nia is Pam.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I thought I understood the blade route system but Roc is teaching me I apparently don't. Some routes want a level 2 wind element so I swap to him and I just don't get the prompt to continue the combo.

Sometimes I swap to usula for ice and it has a chance of actually showing up. I really don't get it.

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!

Party Meiser posted:

Where did you get this idea? There are lip sync issues, but they aren't nearly as bad as the English dub and the JP VAs are solid.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What role is the beastly core crystal/who should I bind it to?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lakbay posted:

What role is the beastly core crystal/who should I bind it to?

Earth Attacker, its one of the best Blades in the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That Zeke intro is possibly the worst editing I've seen, outside of like Tales of Zestiria. There's bad lip synching, and then there's literally being behind 3 seconds of the actual scene. That seems more like a bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg59oaCcvJQ&t=60s

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I thought I understood the blade route system but Roc is teaching me I apparently don't. Some routes want a level 2 wind element so I swap to him and I just don't get the prompt to continue the combo.

Sometimes I swap to usula for ice and it has a chance of actually showing up. I really don't get it.

Are you sure it wants wind and not ice? The colors are very similar.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How do you pause the game when you're fighting something? Outside of putting your Switch to sleep

VVV Oh :downs:

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 5, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lakbay posted:

How do you pause the game when you're fighting something? Outside of putting your Switch to sleep

Hit the Home button.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bland posted:

So I found this little Nopon chap with a trophy icon hiding in a hard to get to area in Argentum who disappeared after I spoke to him. I then found him again in Gormott where he pulled the same trick. I'm assuming he's a reoccuring side quest dealie but I've searched all over Uraya as far as I can tell and not found him again, anybody else spotted this guy?

There are several of them, IIRC they are members of the Twelvebrothersister Nopon shop you find in the first salvager hub you begin the game within. No idea where it's going to lead to but I always like finding another of them off on their adventure.

Game is pretty great so far. The combat took a while to acclimate to with the combo and cancelling but I do like it so far. The areas are beautiful and the music is fantastic, definitely worthy of succeeding XC1. So far the characters and story are merely "ok" since Shulk/Reyn/Sharla/Dunban are an infinitely better and more capable bunch than Rex/Nia/Tora/Gramps and whoever comes next. The game's party so far just feels like we're a bunch of doofuses who somehow can fight these ungodly warriors mainly through luck and our deus ex monado.

My big complaints so far:
1) The loving map system. Holy poo poo this is the third iteration of the series and the navigation is somehow just as bad as ever. The wonder and awe of stepping into a new area is mitigated by realizing "gently caress, I'm gonna get lost like a dozen times, aren't I?" Getting anywhere seems to follow the repetitious act of going down several paths into dead ends and only after like half an hour seeing how to get up a certain incline or object. It is shockingly bad and is a huge frustration to deal with when you need to make story progress or find something.

2) Tiger Tiger is the worst loving mingame you could devise for mandatory upgrades of this Blade companion. Even worse is that I'm in the midst of Chapter 4 and Tora still doesn't have the next forme of Poppi. Having only one blade is absolutely miserable--at least having 3 for Rex/Nia at this juncture guarantees you'll always have fresh Arts to swap to and lots of elements to combo with. Right now there's just no reason to play as Tora due to this. It's also almost suicide to not be controlling the prime DPS (Rex) or healer (Nia)

3) Enemies have way too much health. I'm at level 26 and these level 23 knee-high roadrunner fuckers are still taking forever to kill. These things are lower level, let alone are tiny loving chickens, how am I not murdering them? Even slightly-lower enemies just take forever to kill. Worse is that if more than 3 of any non-human enemy crowds you, you're hosed. I have the Aegis of Eternity yet I'm getting destroyed by two loving chicken things.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I do appreciate how literally everyone, both protagonist and antagonist, is capable of dodging attacks super fast but simultaneously also spitting out entire sentences while in mid-sword-slash. Time works weird in the Xenoblade universe.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Whoever mentioned the sidestepping to build up arts really fast, thank you. That's a genius suggestion.

I really really like the battle system in this game!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I do appreciate how literally everyone, both protagonist and antagonist, is capable of dodging attacks super fast but simultaneously also spitting out entire sentences while in mid-sword-slash. Time works weird in the Xenoblade universe.

Also beating a boss then in the immediate cutscene getting your rear end kicked

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like Tora and Poppi (and all the characters I've met so far, really) but I cannot wait until I get a fourth permanent party member (who can hopefully tank) so I can have someone with three blades of differing elements.

Speaking of which, I have a couple questions regarding overdrives. Is there ever a point where they're farmable/purchasable or are they a finite resource? I've got a couple rare blades that I want to use but have them on the "wrong" character. Also, if I use an overdrive does that reset their affinity chart? I don't want to lose all the progress I've made via merc missions on some of them if I do decide to change them.

Also I assume this is the case but do I get all the passive combat bonuses from my equipped blades even if they aren't the currently active ones?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been playing this and enjoying it quite a bit, giant titties aside. I really like the blade collection/switching gimmick, and the zones/cities are just as cool as the ones in the original Xenoblade. The cutscenes are anime as gently caress, but in a way that is really entertaining and pretty well choreographed. The track they play during some of them is a good successor to Xenoblade 1's "Engage the Enemy" (in general it's a huge relief that they got the same guy to do the music). I've also noticed that not as many side quests seem to be on obnoxious schedules like in Xenoblade 1, though the game does have its share of dumb things that almost require the internet (like figuring out a blade's favorite pouch items, for example).

One thing that confuses me is why they "translated" so many names. Like, with the original Japanese voices turned on I noticed that most of the blades seemed to be named after various Japanese mythological things. Dromarch is Byakko, Azurda is Seiryuu, glasses dude's blade is Kamui, Brighid is Kagutsuchi, Pyra is Homura (okay, Homura isn't a mythological thing as far as I know, but still a strange change), etc. The reason I changed to Japanese is that I didn't really like the English VA as much as the English VA in Xenoblade 1 (which I liked even more than the Japanese). The mix of accents is kind of strange, and the timing is often really weird, with certain lines feeling awkwardly rushed.

edit: Oh, I forgot another strange name change - "Poppi" was apparently originally "Hana." Hana doesn't even sound strange in English and isn't hard to pronounce at all, so I have no idea why they changed that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DLC Inc posted:

There are several of them, IIRC they are members of the Twelvebrothersister Nopon shop you find in the first salvager hub you begin the game within. No idea where it's going to lead to but I always like finding another of them off on their adventure.

Game is pretty great so far. The combat took a while to acclimate to with the combo and cancelling but I do like it so far. The areas are beautiful and the music is fantastic, definitely worthy of succeeding XC1. So far the characters and story are merely "ok" since Shulk/Reyn/Sharla/Dunban are an infinitely better and more capable bunch than Rex/Nia/Tora/Gramps and whoever comes next. The game's party so far just feels like we're a bunch of doofuses who somehow can fight these ungodly warriors mainly through luck and our deus ex monado.

My big complaints so far:
1) The loving map system. Holy poo poo this is the third iteration of the series and the navigation is somehow just as bad as ever. The wonder and awe of stepping into a new area is mitigated by realizing "gently caress, I'm gonna get lost like a dozen times, aren't I?" Getting anywhere seems to follow the repetitious act of going down several paths into dead ends and only after like half an hour seeing how to get up a certain incline or object. It is shockingly bad and is a huge frustration to deal with when you need to make story progress or find something.

2) Tiger Tiger is the worst loving mingame you could devise for mandatory upgrades of this Blade companion. Even worse is that I'm in the midst of Chapter 4 and Tora still doesn't have the next forme of Poppi. Having only one blade is absolutely miserable--at least having 3 for Rex/Nia at this juncture guarantees you'll always have fresh Arts to swap to and lots of elements to combo with. Right now there's just no reason to play as Tora due to this. It's also almost suicide to not be controlling the prime DPS (Rex) or healer (Nia)

3) Enemies have way too much health. I'm at level 26 and these level 23 knee-high roadrunner fuckers are still taking forever to kill. These things are lower level, let alone are tiny loving chickens, how am I not murdering them? Even slightly-lower enemies just take forever to kill. Worse is that if more than 3 of any non-human enemy crowds you, you're hosed. I have the Aegis of Eternity yet I'm getting destroyed by two loving chicken things.

1) Yeah, map isn’t great. Can’t defend that.

2) You get the 2nd form in that very chapter. The 3rd is a sidequest afterward. Other than, I sorta like Tiger! Tiger! But I can see the annoyance.

3) I dunno what to say here, because I don’t feel that way. Are you making use of elemental combos vigorously? You won’t be killing stuff super fast with 3 swings unless you’re like 20 levels above the enemy, like how level 80 monsters wipe the floor with you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Homura sort of invokes fire in my mind so pyra makes sense when hear even though it's weird. Didn't know poppi was named Hana in japan. I know that's flower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Homura sort of invokes fire in my mind so pyra makes sense when hear even though it's weird. Didn't know poppi was named Hana in japan. I know that's flower.

Yes, they changed Poppi’s name for the flower reference. People outside Japan would not understand the reference. Tora remains in Japanese, but it’s Tiger in their language though they don’t use the characters for the actual animal, so you can understand why the game is called Tiger! Tiger!

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 5, 2017