Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lid posted:

Demetrious Johnson > KID Yamamoto > Genki Sudo > Eric "Butterbean" Esch > Zuluzinho > Minowaman > Hong-man Choi

This is likely true without all the stuff in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is it a weird request?

Gold Sexy Body
Nov 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

I mean, he DID just knockout the #1 contender with a comedy jack in the box uppercut so yeah

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

To be fair every single heavyweight is 1-2 fights away from a title shot at any given time. I'm ready for the Dmitry Poberezhets* era.

*A real, not made up heavyweight.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Overeems chin is dust, which is why hes been running away from everyone, from Stipe to Hunto. He can't take the heavyweight shots anymore. I thought Ngannou would be able to close with him and connect, considering he nullifies alot of Reems big physical advantages. I think if Reem could have stayed on the outside long enough Francie would have gassed, he was burning serious energy in there against one of the best strikers ever. Would be looking forward to Stipe - Francie though. That would be exceptionally sick.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pretty much every heavyweight is just one punch away from death at all times though.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Memento posted:

I fuckin' love how ridiculous MMAth can get. From another forum:

Nate Diaz> Conor Mcgregor > Max Holloway

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Josuke Higashikata posted:

In all the hype, it's easy to forget how good Miocic is and how Ngannou has only shown one extremely strong string to his bow.

To make Francis favourite is pretty crazy, even if it wouldn't be surprising if he just lamped Stipe inside a round.

Ngannou has more than just a punch. He's still very much green, but he's learning by leaps and bounds. Don't forget he pulled off one of the nastiest kimuras i've seen in the cage after basically learning the technique back stage.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
He was clinched up with Overeem for a while and managed not to get his brains kneed out. That too is something.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

I think Ngannou will have enough prep to go to kicks if Stipe tries to stay at range with hands. Mix of high on the guard and leg kicks. Finish with punches and ready to sprawl.

Do you think that lead left hook was a set up punch for Overeem or do you think it was a lucky brawl/swing situation?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

In all the hype, it's easy to forget how good Miocic is and how Ngannou has only shown one extremely strong string to his bow.

To make Francis favourite is pretty crazy, even if it wouldn't be surprising if he just lamped Stipe inside a round.

He's also shown immense physical strength and an ability to use it in the cage. I don't want to call his wrestling or grappling good, but throwing a dude to the mat and into a kimura was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in UFC.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

willie_dee posted:

Do you think that lead left hook was a set up punch for Overeem or do you think it was a lucky brawl/swing situation?

He saw the opening for the smash uppercut as it was happening. He read that punch, it wasn't lucky.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MassRafTer posted:

He's also shown immense physical strength and an ability to use it in the cage. I don't want to call his wrestling or grappling good, but throwing a dude to the mat and into a kimura was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in UFC.

Not only a dude, but a 260lbs former all american wrestler, and Ngannou's team showed him the kimura backstage as a way to break his grip and a long shot for a submission.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whatever happens when he fights Stipe, there hasn't been a heavyweight prospect as exciting as Ngannou since the era in which JDS and Cain were murdering people in parallel on their way to the title picture. Waiting until one of them had a belt before matching them up is probably Joe Silva's greatest move as matchmaker, because for one fleeting period of time Heavyweight felt like an actual loving division.

For nostalgia's sake, someone who is good at finding HQ gifs and/or streamable highlight reels should post footage of Cain murdering O'Brien, Nog, and Brock, and of JDS decapitating Yvel, Struve, Gonzaga, and Werdum and turning Carwin into the guy from the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Andre Arlovski Tim Sylvia Mariusz Pudzianowski Gabriel Gonzaga Alistair Overeem Brock Lesnar Shane Carwin Cain Velasquez Junior Dos Santos France McFrance is the total package, an insane physical specimen, will never be defeated, just so huge for the weightclass et cetera et cetera

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Disgusting Coward posted:

Andre Arlovski Tim Sylvia Mariusz Pudzianowski Gabriel Gonzaga Alistair Overeem Brock Lesnar Shane Carwin Cain Velasquez Junior Dos Santos France McFrance is the total package, an insane physical specimen, will never be defeated, just so huge for the weightclass et cetera et cetera

Retard

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Disgusting Coward posted:

Literally the only one of those he’s comparable to is Carwin

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
Make him fight that baby Arlovski fought.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
For the first time in history, Diego Sanchez wasn’t the most retarded person in the ring https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12/5/16737448/ufc-mma-news-fight-video-diego-sanchez-fan-dream-come-true

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He saw the opening for the smash uppercut as it was happening. He read that punch, it wasn't lucky.

Right, but was he setting up that opening with the initial punch of the 3 punches, that's what I want to know.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Ngannou kinda makes you wonder how many other insane physical specimens are hiding out in Africa or starving to death in India. We need global communism to lift these communities out of poverty so we can make everyone fight

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Southpaugh posted:

Overeems chin is dust, which is why hes been running away from everyone, from Stipe to Hunto. He can't take the heavyweight shots anymore. I thought Ngannou would be able to close with him and connect, considering he nullifies alot of Reems big physical advantages. I think if Reem could have stayed on the outside long enough Francie would have gassed, he was burning serious energy in there against one of the best strikers ever. Would be looking forward to Stipe - Francie though. That would be exceptionally sick.

reem was pretty much as punchy as he is now when he won k-1 gp, but he made his style perfect for awhile with his shell n stuff.

someone should review all the stylistic/body changes reem has gone through trying to be a great fighter. he tried being skinny 205 , and super hulk 265, and a few in between sizes. hes been a top position grappler and clinch freak, and a defensive power puncher. some other stuff i dont remember/couldnt characterize too

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I bet if MMA was fought in big padded kickboxing gloves Overeem would still do pretty ok defensively.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

Ngannou kinda makes you wonder how many other insane physical specimens are hiding out in Africa or starving to death in India. We need global communism to lift these communities out of poverty so we can make everyone fight

probably none unfortunately. if you dont get a good start in life then you dont flourish. you just get crippled, lifelong health problems, and then die

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the stipe ngannou fight is gonna be awesome, i hope they can book it soon

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Skip My Posts posted:

the stipe ngannou fight is gonna be awesome, i hope they can book it soon

Since Ngannou was unscathed after this last weekend, rumor has it they are shooting for late January or early February. That would be cool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I did totally forget about that kimura, thanks for the reminders.

as has been said, it's a real good fight and Ngannou seems like a swell dude so I want him to win.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bluedeanie posted:

I bet if MMA was fought in big padded kickboxing gloves Overeem would still do pretty ok defensively.

yeah except for that time Badr Hari just brutalized a stationary, cowering Overeem against the ropes

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The best part of Overeem’s career is that for every hypothetical about him there’s a counterexample

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I knew Overeem was hosed when he clinched and Ngannou just calmly turned him around and put him against the cage like it was nothing. It immediately nullified Reem's top weapon and even if he played distance well, he wasn't going to avoid getting touched once. Once is enough for Ngannou.

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 5, 2017

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

1st AD posted:

yeah except for that time Badr Hari just brutalized a stationary, cowering Overeem against the ropes

I didn't say it would be perfect or anything, he stull has his bad habits and always reacts poorly and takes a long time to recover when he takes a hit. But his solution to offense historically was to turtle up and cover his facr, which when when he had sock em boppers on his hands worked a lot better than with small permeable 4 oz mma gloves. In recent years he seemed to finally develop a solution for mma that was just kind of general avoidance when his opponent threatens with forward momentum, which makes for often less exciting Overeem fights but also prevented embarrassing losses from people like Mir and Arlovski and Nelson. He got sloppy or fought differently against Ngannou for whatever reason and it made for a quick night.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Or the much larger and stronger ngannou nullified his plan and kept him off balance for long enough to land a good one.

Reem was intent on clinching Ngannou and probably beating him up with knees to the body and such that no one has really done. Only problem was he got pushed to the side and knocked the gently caress out when he tried.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 5, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I feel like Overeem should have got on his bike and seen if Francis Nagoo has more than 45 second of gas but I’m just a super funny content creator and social critic and not a professional fighter.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

I feel like Overeem should have got on his bike and seen if Francis Nagoo has more than 45 second of gas but I’m just a super funny content creator and social critic and not a professional fighter.

I guess he thought clinching was the safest way to do that.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

kensei posted:

Since Ngannou was unscathed after this last weekend, rumor has it they are shooting for late January or early February. That would be cool.

If I was Stipe I would hurl myself down the nearest flight of stairs asap.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Stipe just needs to keep demanding to be paid what he thinks he's worth.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ngannou didn’t fade much when he went two medium-hard rounds with Blaydes, though the jab gave him some trouble before he punched Blaydes’ eye out. I think Stipe has a good chance to win a boring fight.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Just remembered that Cub vs T-City is this weekend and will probably own a lot. Everyone rightly talks up Cub vs Superboy, but Ortega vs Tavares was a phenomenal fight that seems to have been forgotten. Hoping that UFC posts it to youtube for everyone who missed it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I like Ortega a lot but cub is cub. He's a fuckin savage. Tough fight for anybody. The fight will very likely kick rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MassRafTer posted:

Stipe just needs to keep demanding to be paid what he thinks he's worth.

I think Stipe is justified in wanting to be paid at least what his opponent is paid.

Which I don't think will be a problem this time because I can't imagine Ngannou is getting anywhere near the 800k or whatever the gently caress Overeem is on.

• Locked thread