Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Homura is one of the ways to pronounce the character Honoo (炎), meaning fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm thinking of just trying to write up all the names - at least the Titan and Blade names - and what they reference in Japanese and English.

The things that always get me is the random parts that aren't "translated." Tora is a Nopon and Nopon are traditionally left alone, so that's fine. Azami is a one-off rare Blade who's left for no reason I'm aware of, and Zeke Genbu is just out of place (plus they took out the "Ultimate" which is the best part of his name).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Caphi posted:

I'm thinking of just trying to write up all the names - at least the Titan and Blade names - and what they reference in Japanese and English.

The things that always get me is the random parts that aren't "translated." Tora is a Nopon and Nopon are traditionally left alone, so that's fine. Azami is a one-off rare Blade who's left for no reason I'm aware of, and Zeke Genbu is just out of place (plus they took out the "Ultimate" which is the best part of his name).

It’s a little weird in English sure, but makes sense in Japanese when his lore counterparts, Seiryu, Byakko and Suzaku are present. He even has a pet turtle and a turtle design on his eyepatch

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It’s a little weird in English sure, but makes sense in Japanese when his lore counterparts, Seiryu, Byakko and Suzaku are present.

It's the English part that doesn't make sense to me. They translated everything else so aggressively, especially names, why leave "Genbu"?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

Game is pretty great so far. The combat took a while to acclimate to with the combo and cancelling but I do like it so far. The areas are beautiful and the music is fantastic, definitely worthy of succeeding XC1. So far the characters and story are merely "ok" since Shulk/Reyn/Sharla/Dunban are an infinitely better and more capable bunch than Rex/Nia/Tora/Gramps and whoever comes next. The game's party so far just feels like we're a bunch of doofuses who somehow can fight these ungodly warriors mainly through luck and our deus ex monado.

I agree with this, with the exception that Rex oddly seems to be the most competent person in the party. Like, the guy is obviously really skilled from living on his own as a salvager for a long time, so it's not that strange that he is agile and can fight and what have you. I feel like, at least from the party members I've seen so far (which I think is only at most half of the total number that will show up), they tried to fit a lot of them into anime archetypes. It's not so much a bad thing as a "lack of a good thing" from XB1, though. The story is compelling enough that I feel compelled to play and find out what happens next, though I thought XB1's "literally just out for revenge" starting motivation was a lot more unique, at least for the JRPG genre.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Caphi posted:

It's the English part that doesn't make sense to me. They translated everything else so aggressively, especially names, why leave "Genbu"?

Dunno, the localization has been strange and I guess I don’t let it bother me that much?

Maybe because he comes from a totally different country on account of being a prince?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So uh, abandoned factory chapter 4
Found a keycard by some idiot giant lizardman. Walked down some stairs and there's a giant level 81 spider blocking the only way out, a handful of level 31 nests and some level 70-80 snakes just sitting around. Am I uh, in the right place or what the hell is this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Shin became jin

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So uh, abandoned factory chapter 4
Found a keycard by some idiot giant lizardman. Walked down some stairs and there's a giant level 81 spider blocking the only way out, a handful of level 31 nests and some level 70-80 snakes just sitting around. Am I uh, in the right place or what the hell is this.

It was for me, I just booked it. There’s probably a better way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I know about Suzaku, Seiryuu, Byakku and Genbu because they're been referenced countless times in other rpgs. It's a phoenix, dragon, tiger, and turtle God respectively right

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's just a bird. China has its own separate basically phoenix.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

I agree with this, with the exception that Rex oddly seems to be the most competent person in the party. Like, the guy is obviously really skilled from living on his own as a salvager for a long time, so it's not that strange that he is agile and can fight and what have you.

Given the one off lines that for some reason nobody follows up on really early in the game (Rex mentioning he was trained by Gramps, who clearly knows Pyra well, to fight; Torna specifically requesting him because of where he's from; and him needing to be the one to open the doors to Pyra's chamber, including some weird poo poo going on around his feet between them) I'm assuming that he's got some chosen one/descendant poo poo going on that they're going to drop on us later in the game. Also because that's anime/jrpg as hell.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Given the one off lines that for some reason nobody follows up on really early in the game (Rex mentioning he was trained by Gramps, who clearly knows Pyra well, to fight; Torna specifically requesting him because of where he's from; and him needing to be the one to open the doors to Pyra's chamber, including some weird poo poo going on around his feet between them) I'm assuming that he's got some chosen one/descendant poo poo going on that they're going to drop on us later in the game. Also because that's anime/jrpg as hell.

Where I’m at in the game, Chapter 5, I was treated to a cutscene of this fabled Addam, Pyra/Mythra’s last Driver but his face was obfuscated with a hood. I’m already anticipating that Rex is Addam’s descendant and looks like him.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It was for me, I just booked it. There’s probably a better way.

why did the game just make me run through a field of level 80 monsters

what even is this hellzone

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The devs laugh everytime you get one-shot by a hilariously overpowered monster in your babby zone.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

The devs laugh everytime you get one-shot by a hilariously overpowered monster in your babby zone.

The zone is nothing but level 80 things. Like they're just the common mobs there. If you get spotted you better fuckin book it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm early on and I feel dumb but how do I turn off the second steam vent in the enemy airship? I turned off the first one with the switch right beneath it but I've been running around the map in circles and can't find a second one

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

goferchan posted:

I'm early on and I feel dumb but how do I turn off the second steam vent in the enemy airship? I turned off the first one with the switch right beneath it but I've been running around the map in circles and can't find a second one

There's a gate to the right of it under the stairs

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Under the ladder up to it, if I recall is a nook you can slip into for the other vent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah you can't see the prompt until you're right next to it.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

DLC Inc posted:

There are several of them, IIRC they are members of the Twelvebrothersister Nopon shop you find in the first salvager hub you begin the game within. No idea where it's going to lead to but I always like finding another of them off on their adventure.

That's actually a seperate thing. That's right there's two seperate hidden, global 'Find the Nopon' subquests running concurrently. The guy I was talking about is called Foorara and I found where he went, if anyone's interested: Behind the overgrown Ivy at the Mercenary Camp, then atop a house in the Uraya capital, then at the loading bay at the Mor Ardain palace. The hunt continues.

e; Also I just got a new party member half way through Chapter 5 and tried to get them some rare blades with my big bag of saved up core crystals. 34 Commons and 6 Rares, 0 Rare Blades. Someone please tell me there's an overdrive thingy somewhere in this zone.

Bland fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 5, 2017

Damone
May 3, 2009
Wulfric is such a big dumb softy. A heart to heart involving him is pretty adorable. :3:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The zone is nothing but level 80 things. Like they're just the common mobs there. If you get spotted you better fuckin book it

this still sucks to some extent especially when a big fuckin bird who is level 70 butts into your battle but it's nowhere near as obnoxious as XCX was, which lietrally made you wade into nightmare territories of these enemies to plant your dumb mining equipment.

I will say that one of my chief complaints about XCX was "where the gently caress are all the Nopon" and XC2 definitely bumped up the Nopon ratio to an insane degree.

I still hope there's some kind of passing reference to XC1, given how the concept of living on the backs of giants is once again a prevailing theme.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 5, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bland posted:

That's actually a seperate thing. That's right there's two seperate hidden, global 'Find the Nopon' subquests running concurrently. The guy I was talking about is called Foorara and I found where he went, if anyone's interested: Behind the overgrown Ivy at the Mercenary Camp, then atop a house in the Uraya capital, then at the loading bay at the Mor Ardain palace. The hunt continues.

e; Also I just got a new party member half way through Chapter 5 and tried to get them some rare blades with my big bag of saved up core crystals. 34 Commons and 6 Rares, 0 Rare Blades. Someone please tell me there's an overdrive thingy somewhere in this zone.

Did you get the Overdrive in the Hot Springs? There's also one in the Mercenary camp.

Also there's a Legendary Core Crystal back where the climax of Chapter 3 took place that almost always gives a rare (though it gave me a common :argh:)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Got two rare cores from crabs last night, got a rare blade from both. Agate (Rex) and Nim (Nia).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well gently caress, I just realized that overdrive transfers are super rare and I wasted it on a common by accident

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tae posted:

Well gently caress, I just realized that overdrive transfers are super rare and I wasted it on a common by accident

I did the same thing. However seeing as how you can theoretically hold up to 99 of them, I'm guessing there's going to be someway to farm them later on.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Caphi posted:

Almost every rare Blade name is completely different. It's weird, because a lot of the common ones are unchanged. It actually seems like a great deal (way more than half) of all character names/important terms are different in Japanese. The English writers try to flavor the game up a bit too much, IMO, and stray away from classical allusion, to which the Japanese text has very strong ties. This is the same problem Dragon Quest typically has albeit in a different manner. It's charming in some ways, but cheesy and cringe-worthy in others as they try to work in bad puns and what not.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So who's Suzaku in Rex's United Kingdom band

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Calaveron posted:

So who's Suzaku in Rex's United Kingdom band

Suzaku is Vandham's Blade.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doing insane huge damage party chains is extremely satisfying and I can't wait until I have 3 Blade slots to cover all my bases

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Caphi posted:

Suzaku is Vandham's Blade.

Duh, I forgot about him

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just hit a boss fight in Chapter 5 and I think I get the combos a lot better now. Just managed 300k in damage with three element bursts, which feels pretty solid for the high 30s.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ornamented Death posted:

I did the same thing. However seeing as how you can theoretically hold up to 99 of them, I'm guessing there's going to be someway to farm them later on.

Hey did you know this game has a season pass with a challenge battle mode coming? Because I have a feeling I know where you're gonna be able to get huge amounts of legendary cores and overdrive things. :shepicide:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a "level cap" on weapon arts? I can see myself trying to max out a bunch of them because I want to use way more than three blades per person but it seems like it'll be an awful grind if I do.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a "level cap" on weapon arts? I can see myself trying to max out a bunch of them because I want to use way more than three blades per person but it seems like it'll be an awful grind if I do.

Not sure.

Also beating enemies with a chain combo earns you way more SP FYI. Good Luck on your hellgrind :911:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Hey did you know this game has a season pass with a challenge battle mode coming? Because I have a feeling I know where you're gonna be able to get huge amounts of legendary cores and overdrive things. :shepicide:

Possibly. I'm thinking end-game (or post-game, if that's an option) areas will have them as rare drops from enemies and/or salvaging.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I recall the first game had visual indicators of whether or not monsters aggro without being attacked first. Does this game have something like that?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zore posted:

Not sure.

Also beating enemies with a chain combo earns you way more SP FYI. Good Luck on your hellgrind :911:

Chain combo as in the thing I hit + for? drat, I usually Save It For Later™ but maybe I'll just have to bust it out on the poor idiots that aggro me while I'm picking flowers even though they're like five levels below me. I'm level 31 and have finally started getting to level 3 arts so maybe that's part of why I feel like I don't do as much damage as I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd assume it'd be 5, anything higher would mean this game is way, way longer than I expected.