Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kwyndig posted:

Gothic Scrunt, Cool Scrunt, Heroine Scrunt, Scrunt Scrunt?

Scrunt, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Sc-ruh-nt: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Sc. Ruh. Nt. She was Scru, plain Scru, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Scruna in slacks. She was Runty at school. She was Chaos Dwarf on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Scrunt...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

SirPhoebos posted:

My idea is Rogue Trader meets Maid. An accident/assassination has resulted in a shy, inconspicuous teenage noble being thrust into the political spotlight as head of a powerful Rogue Trader Dynasty. His family's many enemies aren't going to make things easy for the young Lord-Captain, and his presumed allies are probably worse. Only the Dynasty's personal staff - who may or may not be embroiled in heresy and xenos-collusion - can guard the neophyte Rogue Trader long enough to achieve the greatness his ancestry demands. "In the Grim Darkness of the far future, there is only fan-service".

Consider a group that by choice or roll decides not to include a Rogue Trader as one of the characters. The concept behind Rogue Trader is that there is that specific character archetype as part of the group who holds the charter and owns the ship. Some of the suggestions put forward in the book is that perhaps the Rogue Trader is very wealthy and the players are a group of agents who are assigned a ship to operate under the Rogue Trader's flag. Or that the Rogue Trader is old and infirm, or mechanically integrated into the ship and can't physically participate in things but still gives out orders. Your scenario here, where the Rogue Trader is a kid in way over his head fits in incredibly well in a game whose background is based on inheritance, politicking, and backstabbing. Consider the many child-kings and power hungry regents that have existed in our own history and place that power dynamic in the setting of a vastly wealthy family empire that suddenly finds its fortunes in the hands of an unready child and a gang of hyper-violent retainers.

Of course, it sounds like you're more angling to be less Rogue Trader and more an anime panty-grab so have fun with that I guess

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So last year someone recommend Ms Frost's Home for Wayward Girls and while it seems to have succumbed to the fact of all PBPs, I enjoyed it and it wrapped up on a positive note. It was a good, chill read for the well-written supportive relationships the characters had.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thank you. :) I really think Robo has a gift for those sorts of games.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Definitely!

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
I concur! Robo definitely has a way with games that border between slice of life and adventure, with a good eye on character and social interconnections.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
It was really because all the players were so good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I wish I'd been consistent but I'm not.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Following the Paranoia: High Programmer game atm.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

SirPhoebos posted:

Following the Paranoia: High Programmer game atm.

Commendation Point for you citizen! What was your clearance again?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SirFozzie posted:

Commendation Point for you citizen! What was your clearance again?

It's currently tied to what day of the week it is. HDP&MC tells me they're trying to fix it, when my clearance allows them to. I'm sure they are doing as fine a job as possible. Still, the repeated brain scrubbings and un-scrubbings are make tyyp no gud sometime.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is there some sort of bug with the post dates or has Blackbird Dreaming really been going on continuously for a decade?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

No, that's right. It's the longest running play-by-post and it beats out a bunch of full novel series when it comes to word count.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 19, 2017

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

berenzen posted:

No, that's right. It's the longest running play-by-post and it beats out a bunch of full novel series when it comes to word count.

It's also an enjoyable and interesting read, if you can spare the time required to catch up/keep up with it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Well poo poo, now I've got another ridiculously huge TGR thread to catch up on.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Mister Bates posted:

Is there some sort of bug with the post dates or has Blackbird Dreaming really been going on continuously for a decade?

I didn't realize it was getting to or at the decade mark. Wow. In game its been like two or three months.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Holy poo poo, that's beyond impressive.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Over a decade by about three months. I think the last time we did a word count in 2013 or thereabouts it was two War and Peaces. And I have reread the drat thing at least three times taking notes and finding new poo poo every drat time that I missed before. Foreshadowing is Gaist's middle name.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Happy Decade, Blackbird Dreamers. I love you all~

I can't say the end is in sight, but I can at least conceive of an end.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Blackbird Dreaming was what finally convinced me to get a forums account, after I lost my page for the third time. It had been going for like two years at that point. It got me into GURPS, made me interested in post apocalyptic fiction, and is the reason I still make characters for tabletop games every other day just for the hell of it.

Seriously, Geist and all his players (you guys) rock.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I also have to admit, Blackbird Dreaming made me join Something Awful.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I remember reading a comedy based Vampire: the Masquerade game here. I think it was called What About Boromir. Does anyone have a link to that?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Can I ask if anyone is planning to start a game soon in this thread?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Sure. Whats on your mind?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I want someone to run a game of Strike because I've run it but still never played it and that probably makes me a garbage GM

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Ignite Memories posted:

I want someone to run a game of Strike because I've run it but still never played it and that probably makes me a garbage GM

I've been hemming and hawing about running Strike on the forums for months but I can never settle on a setting/genre.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'd recommend whimsical fantasy or star wars. You're gonna want the flexibility to make up silly monsters.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Ignite Memories posted:

I'd recommend whimsical fantasy or star wars. You're gonna want the flexibility to make up silly monsters.

Along those lines, Megaten/Persona stuff always gets tons of applications .

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Belated, but I'd like to play a Strike! game set in Ivalice rather than GMing for once.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I am currently interested in playing/reading a super hero type game or a game in the savage World system.

Also Robodog what system did you use for Ms. Frost?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Herr Tog posted:

I am currently interested in playing/reading a super hero type game or a game in the savage World system.

Also Robodog what system did you use for Ms. Frost?

Ms. Frosts was run using Mutants and Masterminds!! ( https://mutantsandmasterminds.com ) The core of the system is a very modular, pick and mix and match powers system which was great for easily slapping on drat near any power you could think of. On the whole a bit more crunchy mechanics wise to it than the current vogue of superhero systems like Masks and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Tempted to run an Alpha Protocol ish game, either in the new Top Secret game or in Spycraft.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tried to get one going in a system called Hollowpoint, but couldn’t get any takers

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Robodog posted:

Ms. Frosts was run using Mutants and Masterminds!! ( https://mutantsandmasterminds.com ) The core of the system is a very modular, pick and mix and match powers system which was great for easily slapping on drat near any power you could think of. On the whole a bit more crunchy mechanics wise to it than the current vogue of superhero systems like Masks and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.

thank you so much. which edition did you use?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Fairly sure by then it was third edition.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
Can anyone give me feedback on my CYOA(The Glass-Maker's Dragon)?

Malus
Nov 17, 2006

The dicks ain't biting
Everyone in Blackbird Dreaming is fantastic and I am very happy to have played games with some of you in here earlier in the decade.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Anyone have a link to Blackbird Dreaming? I really need to use bookmarks more.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

McSpanky posted:

Anyone have a link to Blackbird Dreaming? I really need to use bookmarks more.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2545278

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fantastic, thanks!