Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

Doing insane huge damage party chains is extremely satisfying and I can't wait until I have 3 Blade slots to cover all my bases

Yeah lol I get really bummed whenever an enemy dies right before I can do a sick combo. Guess that's a testament to the battle system being fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel like I need Helping Hand equipped on at least one Blade all the time to get enough time to build combos, unless there's a better tactic

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly between the guaranteed cores, a late game mechanic and the relative availability of Overdrives it really isn't that hard to get Rex and Nia set up properly. Tora obviously doesn't use cores and your other party members come late enough that you can afford to waste an overdrive or two on them.

General rules of thumb;

By chapter 4 you can get 4 guaranteed rare cores. One is an attacker only Rex can use as part of the story, 2 are attackers anyone can use (Beastly Core from the bug in Uraya and the inherited core for sale in Torigoth) and one healer anyone can use (sidequest in Torigoth).

This means you never need to waste any cores on Rex since you get a good second core as part of the story and you can choose between a fantastic Earth Spear or Water Ether Cannon for your third. For Nia, you just need to feed her until you get at least one more rare or say gently caress it and give her the other attack crystal you didn't use on Rex. She functions pretty well with 2 HLR/1 Attack in my experience or you can roll for a rare with her. Rares seem to be more common the fewer you have.

Basically, don't waste any rare cores on Rex and save the bulk of your rare drops for the later party members.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 5, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bland posted:

e; Also I just got a new party member half way through Chapter 5 and tried to get them some rare blades with my big bag of saved up core crystals. 34 Commons and 6 Rares, 0 Rare Blades. Someone please tell me there's an overdrive thingy somewhere in this zone.

I got a 5* rare blade with a common core crystal in Chapter 2. It was a fish dude with a great axe (Gorg or something IIRC).

It is dumb that you have to link your cores to a specific character before using them and can only change characters with a rare item. I had to transfer Gorg from Nia to Rex using an overdrive (dunno how many I have, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the only one). There's basically a 1/3 chance that you end up getting a blade that isn't suited to the person you're using the crystal on (at least if you're like me and don't want to mix up classes on a single character). It just seems like a completely unnecessary thing in terms of game-play, though I guess it makes sense lore-wise.

By the way, regarding combos, if the A button prompt appears, will it automatically do the combo in question when you use your special? Or do I need to press ZL/ZR for a party member afterwards (or before if I'm second/third in the combo)? I think it does it automatically, since I've had a ZL/ZR prompt disappear after using my special. It's hard to tell because the visuals for the attacks aren't super obvious.

edit: Oh wait, chain combos are something different from the special combos? I think maybe the story hasn't introduced them for me yet or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you hit A that means you're doing one of the combo steps and changing the combo route. The prompts are probably going away because they either can't follow up with their element or they don't have a special charged high enough to continue it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Do party members switch through their equipped blades during combat just based on AI or can I also control it manually? It seems like they'll switch if their other blade will give me the next option in an elemental combo chain but I'm not 100% sure, it's still kind of hard for me to tell what's going on lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They swap around to do whatever it seems. Like generally from what I've seen if they can continue a Driver Combo or a Special Combo with a different loadout theyll swap. Nia may not though if she still needs to heal people.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

goferchan posted:

Do party members switch through their equipped blades during combat just based on AI or can I also control it manually? It seems like they'll switch if their other blade will give me the next option in an elemental combo chain but I'm not 100% sure, it's still kind of hard for me to tell what's going on lol

Yeah, that's basically their thought process. They'll switch to anything that moves up in an elemental combo, or to a healing spec if people are low. Otherwise they usually try to pick a Blade that matches enemy weakness or to take advantage of Break/Topple/Launch but they aren't that quick on the draw there.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Dumb question, how do I put my weapon away if I accidentally lock on and draw it? I hit literally every button on my controller but I would not put the stupid thing away and just waddled around slower than my goddamn bowels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Dumb question, how do I put my weapon away if I accidentally lock on and draw it? I hit literally every button on my controller but I would not put the stupid thing away and just waddled around slower than my goddamn bowels.

R+B

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In Training posted:

If you hit A that means you're doing one of the combo steps and changing the combo route. The prompts are probably going away because they either can't follow up with their element or they don't have a special charged high enough to continue it.

Okay, so let's say I want to do a combo that goes Party Member #1 > Me > Party Member #2. First off, how do I know what level my party member's specials are at? I couldn't find where it says. Second, how does the timing work? Do I just press ZR (or whatever) and immediately after press A, or do I need to wait for some animation to finish? And for my special, do I immediately press the ZR/ZL prompt after I press A, or do I wait for the animation to finish on that?

I'm not sure if there either isn't a clear visual response from a successful combo or if I've just never done it correctly. I know I've successfully done one that gives me "Heat" and one that doesn't, so presumably I've done some sort of combo.

Damone
May 3, 2009

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

RB and B. Press any other direction other than down to get a quick layout of all the buttons during battle and free roam.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ytlaya posted:

Okay, so let's say I want to do a combo that goes Party Member #1 > Me > Party Member #2. First off, how do I know what level my party member's specials are at? I couldn't find where it says. Second, how does the timing work? Do I just press ZR (or whatever) and immediately after press A, or do I need to wait for some animation to finish? And for my special, do I immediately press the ZR/ZL prompt after I press A, or do I wait for the animation to finish on that?

I'm not sure if there either isn't a clear visual response from a successful combo or if I've just never done it correctly. I know I've successfully done one that gives me "Heat" and one that doesn't, so presumably I've done some sort of combo.

Party member specials have a orb spinning around their portrait. Their prompt will never show unless you have them start or are able to advance the combo. If it hits the elemental bar will appear over the enemy life bar or refill with the new element.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ytlaya posted:

Your party member's special level is only indicated if you need them for the next step in the chain (so when their face and special name is showing but before the button to hit it is up) - and in that specific state, the nuimber of dots circling their portrait is the special level they have right now.

Timing is before the bar on the top right above the enemy's HP bar runs out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I would elaborate more but I'd just be repeating what this article says so check out this page https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/636...iving-in-alrest . The blade combos section in particular will answere these questions.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

First off, how do I know what level my party member's specials are at?
There are small white orbs that circle around the prompt that tell you the level. No orbs means 0, 1 orb means level 1 etc.

quote:

Second, how does the timing work? Do I just press ZR (or whatever) and immediately after press A, or do I need to wait for some animation to finish?
Animation needs to finish and then a prompt comes up that says ZR or ZL. Hit it only when the button prompt it up.

quote:

Any level 1 element can start a combo. Then the little grid in the top of the screen will show what elements can continue it.

Like you can do Earth->Fire->Earth or Earth-Earth-Electric.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, thanks a lot. In particular knowing what indicates the party member's special level will be immensely helpful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's odd because the systems at play in this game can be seriously layered and overwhelming but the gradual learning process the game provides makes so much of the early game numbingly passive that it kind of sells itself short, which is a shame. But by Chapter 3 there's enough happening all the time that you'll get acquainted to its quirks and flow

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one question I still after after reading that web page is why it recommends having a specific elemental variety. The tree thing it shows seems to imply that using the same element 2 or 3 times in a combo will also trigger a combo attack, but just a different one.

In general, I'm assuming it's a good idea to wait until a full combo is charged, at least against strong enemies, right? I don't think most trash mobs would last long enough to get anyone to level 3.

edit: I think that where I've been loving up is using specials too soon after other specials, to where the animation from the first one wouldn't have necessarily completed before the second goes off.

edit2: Oh, one other thing. Is the main purpose of these combos damage dealing, or causing some special effect (like the "Seal ______" mentioned in the article)?

edit3: Hahahahaha okay, a lot is suddenly making sense. That "Heat" thing was applied to the enemy, not a buff on my character, and basically represented the time in which to use the next special in the combo.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 5, 2017

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

That money grinding method in early/mid chapter 4 with salvaging at the new place is working really well for me, so thanks for the heads up there. It's also gotten me soe rare cores, one of which got me Azami on Nia.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The one question I still after after reading that web page is why it recommends having a specific elemental variety. The tree thing it shows seems to imply that using the same element 2 or 3 times in a combo will also trigger a combo attack, but just a different one.

In general, I'm assuming it's a good idea to wait until a full combo is charged, at least against strong enemies, right? I don't think most trash mobs would last long enough to get anyone to level 3.

edit: I think that where I've been loving up is using specials too soon after other specials, to where the animation from the first one wouldn't have necessarily completed before the second goes off.

Most trash mobs easily last long enough to get to level 3. Elemental combos will make up the majority of your damage in chapter 3 and beyond and if you don't master them every encounter turns into a struggle where you plink people down. If you do you basically delete them.

And every elemental path is different. You want a mix of elements so you don't get stuck, like you can do Fire 3 times in a row but if you try to do that with Earth you get stuck at stage 3 unless you have Electric.

The status effects are useful too, especially against certain bosses, and if you don't have the right combo of elements you can't do poo poo. You also need Level 3 elemental combos to maximize your chain attacks which is a mechanic you'll be running into soon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zore posted:

Most trash mobs easily last long enough to get to level 3. Elemental combos will make up the majority of your damage in chapter 3 and beyond and if you don't master them every encounter turns into a struggle where you plink people down. If you do you basically delete them.

And every elemental path is different. You want a mix of elements so you don't get stuck, like you can do Fire 3 times in a row but if you try to do that with Earth you get stuck at stage 3 unless you have Electric.

The status effects are useful too, especially against certain bosses, and if you don't have the right combo of elements you can't do poo poo. You also need Level 3 elemental combos to maximize your chain attacks which is a mechanic you'll be running into soon.

Ah, that makes sense. Does the special charge stay across blades? Like, if I'm at level 3 special and need water, can I switch to my water blade and execute it? Or do I need to charge it up separately?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Does the special charge stay across blades? Like, if I'm at level 3 special and need water, can I switch to my water blade and execute it? Or do I need to charge it up separately?

Yes. Up to level 3 stays across blades and it can often be worthwhile to have a 'charging' blade that charges up fast and dispatch it with your others. Pyra in particular is really good at charging up elemental specials.

Level 4 requires the blade to be out for a while and you to have a gold affinity in battle so its very rarely worth it. Its not a huge damage gain anyways.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I finally understand the entirety of the combat system thanks to this guide. This is pretty much required reading to completely understand every aspect of it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/7hggte/xc2_battle_primer_learn_the_ins_and_outs_of_combat/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I'm kind of excited to get home and try things out now. I had some pretty huge misconceptions about the way combos worked, but now it makes perfect sense. I had no idea that you had such a long time to complete each attack in the sequence; I was trying to get everyone to the required special levels and fire all them off as quickly as possible. After watching a youtube video I've now confirmed that I've never once successfully done a full 3-step blade combo (I just finished chapter 2, so at least it's not like I made it half-way through the game somehow without noticing).

Regarding driver combos, I'm assuming other party members will be intelligent about continuing them? I imagine it would be virtually impossible otherwise.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of excited to get home and try things out now. I had some pretty huge misconceptions about the way combos worked, but now it makes perfect sense. I had no idea that you had such a long time to complete each attack in the sequence; I was trying to get everyone to the required special levels and fire all them off as quickly as possible. After watching a youtube video I've now confirmed that I've never once successfully done a full 3-step blade combo (I just finished chapter 2, so at least it's not like I made it half-way through the game somehow without noticing).

Regarding driver combos, I'm assuming other party members will be intelligent about continuing them? I imagine it would be virtually impossible otherwise.

Yeah they are.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ytlaya posted:

Yep, I have Nia with a healer fist blade and she has launch with it and she uses it 90% of the time topple is active.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Level 4 requires the blade to be out for a while and you to have a gold affinity in battle so its very rarely worth it. Its not a huge damage gain anyways.
my man if you don't want to shoot loving lasers from the sky I don't know what to tell you

I also appreciate that one does not work indoors because logically it would not be able to despite that being total dogshit for gameplay

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So now that people've had a few days to get used to XC2, I have a question: Is the combat less tedious than XCX? I got XCX because I loved me some Xenogears and wanted more mechs, but the actual gameplay was just... eh. It was like playing a MMORPG with only four buttons. I bailed on it hours before getting far enough to actually get a mech, I just couldn't take any more.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The MMO style gameplay is core to Xenoblade at this point

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know what xcx was, but it's basically Xenoblade 1 with mario rpg-style cancelling moves and tons and tons of quick time events that vary by weapon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Chapter 3 question, just need a yes or no

is vandham a permanent party member? If yes, does he get a chance to bond with more blades later?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Zore posted:

Basically, don't waste any rare cores on Rex and save the bulk of your rare drops for the later party members.

Yeah definitely save rare cores for the party member you get from Mor Ardain. If you roll decent tank blades, you can turn that character into this games version of Dunban. 70%+ dodge/block and slap on some high end ether defense accessories unf.

Also protip: make sure you regularly check all your equipped blades' affinity charts. The popups saying key affinity etc don't actually mean the next tier is unlocked until you literally open the screen. Lots of weird janky UX/UI stuff like that in this game, it really shows that they rushed it for the holidays.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mabels big day posted:

is vandham a permanent party member? If yes, does he get a chance to bond with more blades later?

Idk I benched his rear end!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zore posted:

Honestly between the guaranteed cores, a late game mechanic and the relative availability of Overdrives it really isn't that hard to get Rex and Nia set up properly. Tora obviously doesn't use cores and your other party members come late enough that you can afford to waste an overdrive or two on them.

General rules of thumb;

By chapter 4 you can get 4 guaranteed rare cores. One is an attacker only Rex can use as part of the story, 2 are attackers anyone can use (Beastly Core from the bug in Uraya and the inherited core for sale in Torigoth) and one healer anyone can use (sidequest in Torigoth).

This means you never need to waste any cores on Rex since you get a good second core as part of the story and you can choose between a fantastic Earth Spear or Water Ether Cannon for your third. For Nia, you just need to feed her until you get at least one more rare or say gently caress it and give her the other attack crystal you didn't use on Rex. She functions pretty well with 2 HLR/1 Attack in my experience or you can roll for a rare with her. Rares seem to be more common the fewer you have.

I used my first rare core on Rex and got Kora, a healer. Would it be worth it to swap kora off of rex and on to Nia, or does that not matter. Also, does changing blades to different drivers reset their trust and growth?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Leathal posted:

Yeah definitely save rare cores for the party member you get from Mor Ardain. If you roll decent tank blades, you can turn that character into this games version of Dunban. 70%+ dodge/block and slap on some high end ether defense accessories unf.

Also protip: make sure you regularly check all your equipped blades' affinity charts. The popups saying key affinity etc don't actually mean the next tier is unlocked until you literally open the screen. Lots of weird janky UX/UI stuff like that in this game, it really shows that they rushed it for the holidays.

Literally nothing unlocks unless you look at it after it unlocks, it's obnoxious as heck.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

mabels big day posted:

He is not.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

mabels big day posted:

No

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I used my first rare core on Rex and got Kora, a healer. Would it be worth it to swap kora off of rex and on to Nia, or does that not matter. Also, does changing blades to different drivers reset their trust and growth?

Whoops i did it anyway. Probably for the best since I wanted Nia to be a double healer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

Gaaah why is katana a tank class

:same:

Got a katana user last night on Rex, was all excited to have them for DPS... nope, tank. They have a salvage boosting passive though. :toot: