Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

rndmnmbr posted:

We make all out employees sign a form when hired, that in addition to all the usual "not allowed to have a phone on the premises, all calls for employees must go through the store phone yada yada yada", also included the line "Not responsible for theft, loss, or damage to your phone whether intentional or not", which technically gives me free reign to take their phone, rip the battery out, and snap it in two against the edge of the counter. It's supposed to be legally airtight too.

I've never had the balls to do it - no need to get vindictive, just confiscate and write them up, fire them if it happens a second time - but my boss claims to have baked a few employees a pizza with their phone embedded in the middle of it.

This is insane and also highly illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

this. also when the FOH thinks it's okay for a to-go to tell US what time they want their food, and it's at 7:30 on a weekend. i get that they want more money coming in but when you let someone calling in a to-go have the same priority as in-house guests who have a res during peak business you are loving up.

Priority of customers
1) Dine in
2) People ordering to go in person
3) People who call for to go orders
4) poo poo-posting on my phone from the corner of the bar where the manager can't see me
5) Sidework
6) Ubereats

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Today's brunch, we were doing burritos filled with refried beans, peppers, onion, cheese, and eggs. Middle of a rush, I get the call: "WRAP, NO WRAP" Kinda locked up for a second there until I shrugged and plated the filling as pretty as I could and sold it.

5 minutes later: "OMELETTE, EGG ON THE SIDE" That one made the whole kitchen look up and freeze with a collective look of wtf, now you're just loving with us.

PYF crazy tickets

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

PYF crazy tickets

A friend of mine has a collection of these. I made an album.

For sure my favourite is "she thinks".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Put your phone down and get back to work.

I oversee four bars for one restaurant group and own or at partnered in two others - my phone IS my job.

E: also, probably illegal, definitely an rear end in a top hat move and you’re an idiot

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 4, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Two days ago I asked my sous chef if it was cool to use him as a reference and he said yes it was, just give notice before leaving, to which I agreed because of course.

so yesterday he gives my two weeks notice to the new exec chef

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I mean, I did want not to work there anymore, so.... t--- there's that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Willie Tomg posted:

Two days ago I asked my sous chef if it was cool to use him as a reference and he said yes it was, just give notice before leaving, to which I agreed because of course.

so yesterday he gives my two weeks notice to the new exec chef

He gave notice at least.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Field Mousepad posted:

I sincerely hope you or one of your managers breaks someone's phone then gets their jaw broken.

I'm not an angry person. But I would probably hit someone who intentionally broke my thousand dollar tiny computer, which is illegal as hell regardless of some stupid thing I signed.

Destruction of property is ALWAYS illegal.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Law states that you can't even question if a dog is a service dog. Honestly, I give no shits about dogs in my restaurants, as long as they're well behaved. If the dog acts like poo poo, we'll kick you out, and you can argue all you want, but proper service dogs don't act like poo poo, so I know you won't even try to sue.

And nobody gives a gently caress about Yelp, it's all about TripAdvisor these days, get with the times people.

Old post, but we had huge problems with "service dogs" at my outdoor club, and after a few members looked things over there are two questions you can legally ask per ADA:

1) Is it a service animal?
2) What service/task does it provide/perform?

The dog doesn't have to have any kind of vest or tag or indicator; there is no actual certification for service animals. If you want to be real hardasses about it, only dogs can be service animals and they must perform some sort of service or task that helps a disabled person function - emotional support animals don't count. This is all federal guideline stuff, though - local/state laws might be a little different.

In addition, if a service dog is out of control, you can kick it out - like if a dog is barking in a hotel room, or begging for scraps from tables at a restaurant. If you think about it, a shitload of time and effort goes into training actual service animals, so they shouldn't be leaping around all over the place. We found that the two allowable questions were more than enough to deal with 99% of the fake service dogs, and the "out of control" issue was just a nice backup.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

PYF crazy tickets

Pureed Pizza.

I cook at a hospital though so that's why. It was just weird. Pureed pancakes and french toast just look sad, same with grilled cheeses.

Also I spent 5 days of time off, to get 9 days off in a row. It was nice to get away to Chicago for a long con weekend.

Also on service dog chat. The con I was at, some dude brought a fox and claimed it was a service animal. That was A Thing.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 5, 2017

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao yeah I need this FOX for service.

You can't make this poo poo up.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

About six months ago we had a table come in, and as soon as they sat down the mother hands over a printed sheet of paper, and says "this is my sons food restrictions, what can we get here?"

Edit: found the list, I was recalling from memory and was wrong, list is here: https://imgur.com/a/mgRQx

SEVERE ALLERGIES TO:

- Eggs
- ALL dairy (including Lactose)
- ALL soy/soya/soya bean/soy lecithin
- ALL seafood especially Shellfish
- ALL peanuts/nuts/almonds
- VERY intolerant to ALL corn based products
- and have Celiac's Disease (ALL wheat and gluten based products)

I work at a pizza place, there's flour in the air.

We had one of the guys on line scrub his hands, take two freshly cleaned bowls into the walk-in, prep a side-salad (no dressing) into one of the bowls, put the other bowl on top as a lid, and then carry it out to the server.

Enjoy your lettuce kid.

Edit: picture is not of me, I wear socks when I serve.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 5, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Mezzanon posted:

About six months ago we had a table come in, and as soon as they sat down the mother hands over a printed sheet of paper, and says "this is my sons food restrictions, what can we get here?"

"You can get the hell out."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Anaphylaxis

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If you have a gluten allergy and you go into a pizza place you deserve whatever happens to you.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mezzanon posted:

Enjoy your lettuce kid.

And here we get, again, at a hospital, VERY few allergies coming up. Which is weird. Like say, gluten free pasta is the most common one to come up. And 9/10 times, they'll order it with alfredo, a breadstick (regular one, obviously,) or a cupcake or something else with gluten.

So yeah. This is at a hospital. And we barely ever see any issues as far as allergies go. So people are just weird and dumb.

The pureed pizza came up because, if memory serves, it was just a younger guy that had some swallowing problem, that wanted pizza.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Field Mousepad posted:

If you have a gluten allergy and you go into a pizza place you deserve whatever happens to you.

I agree, oddly enough we cater to celiacs and vegans by also having gluten free crust and vegan cheese, we've had both for years.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Manuel Calavera posted:

The pureed pizza came up because, if memory serves, it was just a younger guy that had some swallowing problem, that wanted pizza.

:( man...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That one was more weird than sad, honestly. In part because it's only happened once so far. I also may be misremembering the story, in part because we only get names on our ticket. The Expo gets the room numbers and such, so they know where in the hospital they are. And the call center has their other info.

The pancakes and french toast are the sad ones. Just because...man, pureed bread. Grilled cheeses are second saddest. And the worst is pureed tuna salad, it looks and smells (more) like cat food. I don't like tuna though.

The expo side just *love* when people order pureed chocolate cake. And they always wish they could just send pudding instead. Which I also totally get.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I had to stay overnight at the hospital and the food didn't suck, and they took my fresh fruit allergy seriously. The exec even dropped by my room to ask me how the food was(pretty loving good considering what you have to do to it in a hospital setting) and he also can't eat raw strawberries without his togue and throat swelling.

So thanks hospital kitchens, for taking me seriously when I say I can't have raw strawberry, mango, papaya, kiwi, etc.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They eat you, I presume? Not that I'd know for sure, just a random guess. But yeah, we do take them seriously. I just find it funny that 95% of the time, it's gluten free pasta, but with gluten something else (we do the standard roux based alfredo.) I blame Dr. Oz for it, every drat time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I had to stay overnight at the hospital and the food didn't suck, and they took my fresh fruit allergy seriously. The exec even dropped by my room to ask me how the food was(pretty loving good considering what you have to do to it in a hospital setting) and he also can't eat raw strawberries without his togue and throat swelling.

So thanks hospital kitchens, for taking me seriously when I say I can't have raw strawberry, mango, papaya, kiwi, etc.

It's a hospital, of course they take food allergies seriously. Especially a fruit allergy not putting a thin slice of orange on the plate with your eggs isn't that big of a burden.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 6, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manuel Calavera posted:

They eat you, I presume? Not that I'd know for sure, just a random guess. But yeah, we do take them seriously. I just find it funny that 95% of the time, it's gluten free pasta, but with gluten something else (we do the standard roux based alfredo.) I blame Dr. Oz for it, every drat time.

Was he the whole originator of this whole gluten mess?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Field Mousepad posted:

I am again reminded of the sign on the bakery door telling people with gluten/flour allergies that coming in was not safe due to flour in the air and on every surface in the building.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I would have people rant at me about how allergic they were to gluten inside our one room bakery where there was basically a fine haze of flour in the air at all times

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

And here we get, again, at a hospital, VERY few allergies coming up. Which is weird. Like say, gluten free pasta is the most common one to come up. And 9/10 times, they'll order it with alfredo, a breadstick (regular one, obviously,) or a cupcake or something else with gluten.

So yeah. This is at a hospital. And we barely ever see any issues as far as allergies go. So people are just weird and dumb.

Freaking mechanicals, the bane of my days as a dietary cook.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pile of brown posted:

I would have people rant at me about how allergic they were to gluten inside our one room bakery where there was basically a fine haze of flour in the air at all times

Same. I'm at the counter, so dusted that my eyebrows are white with it, and staring at this person like 'oh, god, am I going to kill them?'

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sometimes I wonder if people who think they're allergic to gluten are really allergic to wheat. It would effectively be splitting hairs, but still.

Then again, some people are allergic (supposedly) to colors so.

And then there's me, who can not eat raw tomatoes at all. It's drat weird. I'm not allergic, I just don't like them.

And thus I won't be a jackass when I get them, I'll just take them off and deal with it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

No one is allergic to colors.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skwirl posted:

And you know full well that there is someone in this world, particularly in the US, that honest to the gods believes they are.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Skwirl posted:

Iirc there are some allergies associated with artificial colors because of what they're derived from.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Was he the whole originator of this whole gluten mess?

Or at least popularized it. And he's a terrible shill, so gently caress'im.

Skwirl posted:

Low potassium diets get no tomato, red peppers, etc. I forget the specific dietary restriction they come up as, but. That is sort of a thing.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 6, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Iirc there are some allergies associated with artificial colors because of what they're derived from.

I know there was someone in my school who had an allergy to Red #40, which was the subject of one of those "OH IT MAKES YOUR KIDS MISBEHAVE" crazes way back when.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I cooked for a guy who had severe allergies to most food dyes. He was cool as poo poo- he helped me shop (since a lot of the ingredients he can't have are sometimes listed on packages as "natural coloring" or "natural flavoring") and hung out in the galley (this was on a boat) a lot. He was used to always having to cook for himself or supervise his food, so he was my de facto prep cook for the trip.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Anyone ever work for a personal chef service?

My day job gets really slow in the winter, I could use a side gig.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Hey guys, I mostly just read the thread but I saw this and thought I'd give you a heads up:
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/937815894331293697

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hey guys, I mostly just read the thread but I saw this and thought I'd give you a heads up:

Thankfully I live in California so our laws would take precedent, but Jesus Christ that'd probably gently caress over a lot of people in the midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

holy poo poo

like, I like tip pooling when it's properly implemented but wow