Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to know why there is such shoddy workmanship on the homemade guns. You'd think someone would use a lathe or something and make a nice smooth-grain stock. The raider assault rifles are better made than those homemade pieces of junk.

The Gun Runners would fire your rear end for such half-assed effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I don't think anyone on the east coast is capable of building anything that doesn't look like random crap glued together. I mean you'd think they'd have at least got some mud brick houses going instead of just having scrap shanties by now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I don't think anyone on the east coast is capable of building anything that doesn't look like random crap glued together. I mean you'd think they'd have at least got some mud brick houses going instead of just having scrap shanties by now.

They live in an area with weather and don't own pants. None of their roofing options are actually watertight.

Be thankful these brain-damaged idiots don't drown from staring up at the rain.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Liquid Communism posted:

Be thankful these brain-damaged idiots don't drown from staring up at the rain.

I think I'd have preferred that outcome, actually.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

tbh joining the institute is the way to go, surface dwellers are idiot savages

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

tbh joining the institute exterminating all flesh with a robot horde is the way to go, surface dwellers are idiot savages

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Seashell Salesman posted:

It's funny how when the game first launched I actually liked the pipe weapons because of all the customization options but slowly over time playing it I've come to not give a poo poo about the customization and hate the pipe weapons in general.

They just don't go quite far enough, I think. You can upgrade them but they will always be kind of poo poo. The revolver options I remember as just stupendously slow and don't do much damage in to make up for it, so I end up just making an automatic pipe rifle that I use to dump excess .38 rather than sell it. If you could upgrade pipe guns into something like a pipe minigun, or just start strapping increasingly implausible doodads that make the bullets to more damage or add effects like making the bullets explosive (separate from the Legendary effect) you can keep that "surviving through creative ingenuity" angle a little longer. Maybe.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

marshmallow creep posted:

They just don't go quite far enough, I think. You can upgrade them but they will always be kind of poo poo. The revolver options I remember as just stupendously slow and don't do much damage in to make up for it, so I end up just making an automatic pipe rifle that I use to dump excess .38 rather than sell it. If you could upgrade pipe guns into something like a pipe minigun, or just start strapping increasingly implausible doodads that make the bullets to more damage or add effects like making the bullets explosive (separate from the Legendary effect) you can keep that "surviving through creative ingenuity" angle a little longer. Maybe.

I think the issue is there are so few base weapons in the game and the pipe weapons are super ugly, so a large proportion of the NPCs for the entire game have these eyesore wooden block guns. And the upgraded ones have even more ugly crap on them like rusty sheet metal blades and springs and poo poo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think the pipe weapons look pretty cool, but there's a lack of side-grades and wacky poo poo.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

I think the issue is there are so few base weapons in the game and the pipe weapons are super ugly, so a large proportion of the NPCs for the entire game have these eyesore wooden block guns. And the upgraded ones have even more ugly crap on them like rusty sheet metal blades and springs and poo poo.

Yeah Fallout 4 really needed more weapon types/tiers. The lack of modern looking guns hurt it too, Fallout has always had 1990s era weapons Bethesda you don't need to stick to 1940s tommy guns and poo poo. And maybe like more tiers of scrap weapons. Like you get the crappy wooden block ones that the poorest raiders use but then like the Forged who have an actual foundry make sweet looking polished metal guns and the Gunners cobble together random prewar military parts for their energy weapons.

The lack of tribal cultures is another thing. Maybe expand the Forged into much more widespread fire worshipping Conan the Barbarian mother fuckers with plate armour and poo poo. Steal Skyrim assets if you want to be lazy Bethesda.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I restarted after ten hours to instead play a high charisma survivor, simply to have some degree of agency and see the diplomatic outcomes, scarce as they are.

A better way of speech checks would be to combine the NV method with Bethesda crapshoot. You see 3/7 next to a line, which means you have a have 3 out of 7 chance of succeeding, as your charisma is 3 and the check 7. You'd have to fudge the numbers a bit to discourage save-scumminh but the final system would be more satisfying than the present version.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah Fallout 4 really needed more weapon types/tiers. The lack of modern looking guns hurt it too, Fallout has always had 1990s era weapons Bethesda you don't need to stick to 1940s tommy guns and poo poo. And maybe like more tiers of scrap weapons. Like you get the crappy wooden block ones that the poorest raiders use but then like the Forged who have an actual foundry make sweet looking polished metal guns and the Gunners cobble together random prewar military parts for their energy weapons.

You’re not wrong about the Gunners, but the tommy guns make sense because the Goodneighbor guys are basically larping the 1940s mob (and as far as I know they’re the only source of tommy guns).

Gun abundance is a big problem in this game. The only gun you want to use in a particular class of ammunition is the one you’ve personally modified, typically, and everything else is just scrap. It wouldn’t make sense for an enemy’s gun to fall to pieces the second they die, but I also don’t really like lugging around a dozen pipe pistols just so I can disassemble them later. Adding more kinds of guns wouldn’t significantly change that - if the Forged drop special Forged guns then great, if they’re better I’ll need one to upgrade and the rest are scrap. Same with armor.

I don’t know how you would fix that problem. New Vegas tried giving you a reason to collect multiple guns of a certain type with its repair system, but I don’t know that we want that back.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

A Sometimes Food posted:

Personally, I think they should have just made a bunch of different parts and then let you assemble them in whatever combination you wanted. It would've been harder to balance, but it's single player, and it's not like they tried that hard anyway.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Prop Wash posted:

I don’t know how you would fix that problem. New Vegas tried giving you a reason to collect multiple guns of a certain type with its repair system, but I don’t know that we want that back.

I use a mod that lets you set up a little portable scrapping station on the fly, so at my convenience I can strip the useful components from weapons, armor, and junk, and forgo the dead weight.

If you want to get fancy, you can combine it with the salvage beacon mod. Dump all those delicious components into a container when they get unwieldy, set a beacon, and a scav-and-brahmin pack team will be along shortly.

That's how I hackily make the gun abundance issue work for me, at any rate.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 29, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Prop Wash posted:

You’re not wrong about the Gunners, but the tommy guns make sense because the Goodneighbor guys are basically larping the 1940s mob (and as far as I know they’re the only source of tommy guns).

Gun abundance is a big problem in this game. The only gun you want to use in a particular class of ammunition is the one you’ve personally modified, typically, and everything else is just scrap. It wouldn’t make sense for an enemy’s gun to fall to pieces the second they die, but I also don’t really like lugging around a dozen pipe pistols just so I can disassemble them later. Adding more kinds of guns wouldn’t significantly change that - if the Forged drop special Forged guns then great, if they’re better I’ll need one to upgrade and the rest are scrap. Same with armor.

Is this really a problem, though? Any game that has guns with numerical values associated with them is going to have some guns that are superior to others. After that point just prioritize your pack based on what is going to be the most valuable (either in terms of caps or scrap) and leave the rest. You don't have to take home every rusted pipe pistol the 20th time you clear that respawning raider camp.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Meh it doesn't bother me that the enemies drop useless guns the same way it doesn't bother me that they drop useless clothing or food/water items (in non-survival). I personally don't think that's a problem.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

hawowanlawow posted:

I think the pipe weapons look pretty cool, but there's a lack of side-grades and wacky poo poo.
With the infinite levels, it would've been nice to have a perk tree dedicated to Pipe weapons - bayonet melee bashing causing significant poison damage from tetanus, bullets having a chance to bypass all armor, a chance to accidentally cook off the whole clip in 2-3 seconds, double damage against power armor sections when using VATS, ect. Call it 'Hand Made, Hand Delivered' or something.

It's a shame the Perk system as implemented feels a lazy afterthought.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

IMO all ranked perks are stupid

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

IMO all ranked perks are stupid

Agreed!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Since they downloaded at the same time I can only assume the Fallout 4 and Skyrim updates both have to do with upcoming Creation Club content. We'll see.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Oh I'm not against the Triggermen having tommy guns. It's that the only submachine gun is the Thompson and the combat shotgun and combat rifle look about the same vintage (that the combat shotgun and combat rifle look way too similar from first person view doesn't help either). Give us some guns from later eras and other origins is all. Even Fallout 3 had the American assault rifle and the Chinese made AK knockoff.

The fact that the game focusing on modding weapons and holding poo poo together through ingenuity is the one they don't put a loving AK in is kinda weird too thinking about it. I'm not a huge gun nerd but isn't that one of the things the AK is so widespread for?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 30, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

They could definitely have kept the MP5-looking 10mm SMG.

Hell, they already had the R91 in F03, why is the AR in FO4 this bloated steampunky looking piece of poo poo?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 30, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Hell, they already had the R91 in F03, why is the AR in FO4 this bloated steampunky looking piece of poo poo?

Pretty sure the Fallout 4 'assault rifle' model was originally supposed to be an LMG of some kind.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Since they downloaded at the same time I can only assume the Fallout 4 and Skyrim updates both have to do with upcoming Creation Club content. We'll see.

The patch notes for FO4 mentioned the creation club.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Pretty sure the Fallout 4 'assault rifle' model was originally supposed to be an LMG of some kind.

it is.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Going directly to nuka world from the vault is cool. I might finally beat the game with this character.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
They definitely added stuff in the Creation Club, citing the actual modders even! It's, uh, still not anything I see myself ever buying.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Who doesn’t want the big boobs mod? Chinese communists that’s who.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

Who doesn’t want the big boobs mod? Chinese communists that’s who.

You mean the cbbe mod or something like bighead mode that would just give every humanoid a huge rack? The later sounds like pure genius.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of the new settlement items is bunk beds! Yeaaaaah!

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Speedball posted:

One of the new settlement items is bunk beds! Yeaaaaah!

drat their oily hides. I almost want to give them money for this. Is there a free mod that does this?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

N17R4M posted:

drat their oily hides. I almost want to give them money for this. Is there a free mod that does this?

USO.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

N17R4M posted:

Sure. In both "dilapidated bed" and "vault bed" styles.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi is anyone else getting Fallout 4 VR?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm telling myself that I'll buy it after I read the reviews of how the control scheme works on Rift... but pretty sure I'll crack and buy it day 1.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

There should also be a way to pass power through Vault sections, because I love making nice clean reactor sheds to keep my power sources in, but wait! Need to add on one last section to the doorway so I can hang a wire connection and run a dangling line to the power pole. :effort: That or trust Vault-Tec's waterproofing by having an open window/door/missing section of wall or ceiling, so the *bare high-voltage line* can exit the metal construct. (Note that Vault sections automatically pass power, for the most part, to each other. Apparently no one at VT thought about anything outside of the can, like turrets or lighting.)

Mods are the path to success. poo poo works better once someone has fixed it properly.

Oh, the Vault wall conduits only work on interior walls, not exterior ones?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I didn't even get this game

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Glazius posted:

Oh, the Vault wall conduits only work on interior walls, not exterior ones?

Vault interior walls are powered, as long as a generator is connected via wire to a conduit - stick a conduit on a connected section of wall, you got juice.

Exterior walls are entirely unpowered, and don't pass power to other sections - unless poo poo has changed/been patched since I finished Nuka World when the DLC released.

I did find a use for the wall-passthrough conduit piece: made some boxcars for my loved and valued settlers interchangable fleshbots to sleep in, and in that instance it worked fine. Also made some flak towers with 4x heavy lasers on top of a two-story cylinder of curved concrete, for that Final Days of the Reich aesthetic. (Using Sim Settlements to make Starlite Drive-In into an industial slum, mostly robot-operated. I could have set up multiple automated robot scrapping/assembly plots and changed the name to Skynet Die-In.... :unsmigghh:)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If I’m going to make the whole commonwealth into raider settlements, is there anything I should setup before I begin that process? I’m playing on survival so I wanna connect some of my poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

PRetty sure you can stick Vault power conduits on the outside of maintenance-style structures.

• Locked thread