Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TheCog posted:

C.) I liked hearing about the Magi. These were a mysterious group, that knew of a terrible future that was coming. They were all women, and they all worked in secret, unlike the kings and adventurers they were never the main characters of the stories, but they were always there, giving advice to heroes, warning kings of danger, and in a few stories, fighting off terrifying beasts and armies with webs of golden sunlight and storms of sand!

TheCog posted:

E.) I preferred it when the Sejin sang. It wasn't often, almost only when i woke up screaming from a nightmare, and it was never in the common tongue, but more than anything i enjoyed the soothing melodies and strange syllables that almost seemed to rock me to sleep.

What a choice to have to make!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Magnusth posted:

What language are you singing in?
"It is Eurbaa, the tongue of my homeland. In time, you could learn it too, if you wish", he smiles, the same strange smile he wears whenever he's immersed in telling you one of his stories, as if the question pleases him.

Magnusth posted:

Where did you learn those songs?
"My old traveling companion, a long time ago, was fond of these songs. I remember they used to bring me peace, so I sing them for you Sundar."

Magnusth posted:

Did your mother teach you? What was she like?
"My mother taught me many things, but she did not teach me to sing. She taught me of the shifting sands, and how to best find your way by the stars, she taught me how to take a blow without stumbling, and how to make good deals, she was..." the Sejin hesitates here for a second, as if thinking of the best way of phrasing this, "she was not a soft woman, but she loved me, and I loved her, and when our time together came at an end, I felt a great grief."

Magnusth posted:

If someone cheats me in a deal, what should i do?
"It depends" he ponders his next words carefully. "If it causes you no harm, and you will not see the man again, then perhaps it is best to let the serpent rest. However, if word will carry that you are a fool and can be deceived, then you must make it right, if the man refuses to make it right, then whatever justice exists must be invoked." he thinks further for a second, "If justice fails, then you must become justice. When your life relies on being paid, you cannot afford to be seen as a fool."

Magnusth posted:

How did you get so strong?
"The same way you are getting strong. One day at the time, I get up, I walk, I train, and most of all, I keep my ears open and listen to everyone around me"

Cannon_Fodder posted:

"What does your name mean?"

"It means king, or ruler." he smiles as if to some private joke.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

How long have you been traveling?
"Many more years than you have been alive."

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Who taught you where to go and what to do?
"I go where the winds take me, and where I think there will be money to be made. We have to eat after all! I had the fortune of spending a long time traveling with much wiser traveling companions than myself, so when I need to figure out what to do, I try to think of what they would have done"

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What the gently caress is that goddamn animal?
You can't ask this right now.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Why don't we poop?
You don't ask this, because you do poop, often in holes in the ground that either you or the Sejin have to dig and cover up.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 4, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Did we get picked up by a king/sultan/sheikh in disguise/exile? (Not aimed at our surrogate parent, merely speculative)

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
CH

Ask what was in the boxes he used to trade for coin.

Ask why we've gone north, it's so cold! Can we return to where it's warmer soon?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Task Manager posted:

Ask what was in the boxes he used to trade for coin.
"It varied, sometimes it was goods people wanted delivered with secrecy, where they would feel better if i could not lay eyes upon them. Other times they were rare items I'd gathered or collected over the years for which a buyer had finally emerged, where the buyer feared others would covet the item or hate them if they were to lay eyes upon it. The people of these northern lands have less need for exotic trinkets, and more of a need for my other talents."

Task Manager posted:

Ask why we've gone north, it's so cold! Can we return to where it's warmer soon?

"Things were getting dangerous to the south, and as unpleasant as you might find the cold, you would have found the trip to the east by sea far more unpleasant, I promise. We still have business here, but when that is concluded, I expect we'll travel southwest... Unless we decide to travel to the glaciers first."

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Prince of Space posted:

Question: What is YOUR favorite story, Sejin?

^^ Quoting a question I edited into an earlier post, just in case it was missed.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Are there maps? Do we have one? Where is all this stuff?

Where are your people from? Why are you not with them?

Who burned me and why?

Where did you get your golden book of monsters? Why do you have it?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Prince of Space posted:

^^ Quoting a question I edited into an earlier post, just in case it was missed.

I did miss it!

Prince of Space posted:

Question: What is YOUR favorite story, Sejin?

"The Kidnapping of the Moon" a story he has told you a few times. It talks about a time when Awar, the King of Gehenna, The Kingdom Below, the Land of Demons, commanded his Marids, the most powerful of his servants, to steal the moon from the sky. Indeed, they do so, beguiling the King of Ubar despite the warnings of the Magi to wage war against the moon, so that the sun could reign for ten thousand years. The Marids sequestered the moon to the Kingdom Below, until Abbad, the son of a farmer, who's livelihood was being destroyed by the perpetual day, traveled and begged the king to restore the moon, and with it the night. But the king had been poisoned by the Marids, and he would not listen. So Abbad traveled to the Gate Below the Brass City, to gain access to the Land Below, on the way he met Dijin and Spirits, some helpful, some troublesome, and learned many mystical things. Eventually, Abbad forced open the gate itself and fought his way to the Land Below, tricking the Marids one by one, or using powers gained on his trip to defeat them, until he encountered Awar himself. Awar was mighty, but Abbad's resolve would not break, and after three weeks of fighting non-stop, they agreed to a truce, enforced by a magical oath. Abbad however broke the truce, and freed the moon, which escaped, tearing a hole through the Land Below, but having broken the truce, Abbad was chained to the lowest point in the Lands Below, the Eternal Chasm, and condemned to have scorpions devour his flesh as it grew back, faster than it could be consumed.

The people of the land, hearing of his plight, all sobbed at the loss of their hero, the man who had saved them from the tyranny of a nightless eternity, and those tears filled the hole formed by the moon forming the Lake of Tears.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 6, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
CH.

Have you met a Magi?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 5, 2017

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
DH

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Are there maps? Do we have one? Where is all this stuff?
"There are, but we don't need one. I have traveled these paths before"

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Where are your people from? Why are you not with them?
"They are from a land, far far to the south and across the ocean. As to why I am no longer with them, that is a story for another time, when you are older. Suffice it to say they are not as they once were, although one day we may yet travel there"

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Who burned me and why?
"I do not know. I found you, and I rescued you, and it is best not to dwell on a past we cannot change." his face is ashen at this question, and its clear its not a line of questioning he finds pleasant.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Where did you get your golden book of monsters? Why do you have it?
"It was a gift, from my mother's father, after... after I proved myself to him, it has been the quest of her line to make this book as complete as it can be, as I travel, and I learn, I fill in anything new I discover. I have it, because I was the last person who could have it."

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Jackard posted:

Have you met a Magi?

"Yes, once, a long time ago. I have met many wise and powerful women, but only one who claimed to be a Magi"

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

TheCog posted:

, when you are older.

You goddamn son of a bitch. Rigged!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

C K

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
CH

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
CK

I hope that letter combination isn't an omen that some creepy dude is going to start masturbating.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
CM

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Why do you call me Sundar? What does it mean?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C J H

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
C,M

:woop: Yay, a new CYOA!

Question for Sejin: What is your favorite place in the world?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
EH. The singing that makes us feel better after a nightmare is the best, of course!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Why do you call me Sundar? What does it mean?

"Its a type of flower that only grows in places with little water and lots of wind. Its quite pretty. I use it as a sign of affection."

Faerunner posted:

What is your favorite place in the world?

"Anywhere where you are of course" he says with a small smile. When you press him for his favorite *place*, he replies: "There is a garden, in a city far away from here, that holds the greatest collection of flowers I have ever seen. Flowers that did not belong in that climate, kept alive through great care. I think nothing I have seen has filled me with as much awe as seeing the fruits of the labor of hundred of people working together to preserve life and create beauty. I spent many an evening in those gardens, sitting next to a fountain, breathing in the scents of ten thousand flowers in bloom" he has a faraway look in his eyes, like he's enraptured by some memory.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Changing my A to E

Question:

When will the nightmares stop?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Magnusth posted:

When will the nightmares stop?

The Sejin seems troubled by the question, but nonetheless he replies "In time, all wounds heal, you went through a terrible thing, it will take time for those wounds to heal. But heal they will."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Are any of the monsters in your book tameable? Could we ride them like horses or have them take our belongings like mules?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Slaan posted:

Are any of the monsters in your book tameable? Could we ride them like horses or have them take our belongings like mules?

"Some, I'm sure, the sand-wurms are monstrous and terrible foes for example, but some have tried to tame them with mixed results. This book is more concerned with how to slay them. Most if not all the beasts here can only be tamed in exceptional circumstances, and only at great risk to the one taming them, and only if the individual beast is suitable. These are creatures that are threats to people. They are creatures who, if they ever settle too close to a village will result in death, without exception." He spends almost an hour then paging through the book with you, pointing at beasts he thinks might be possible to get under control, giant scorpions, a strange half horse covered in scales and with six sets of eyes, a tentacled beast that crawls along the ground, seemingly made entirely of peusopods.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
CN

Did you know my parents?
Why were you visiting my village?
What's the fearsomest thing you've ever fought?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Slightly Lions posted:

Did you know my parents?
"I did not"

Slightly Lions posted:

Why were you visiting my village?
"It was on my way, I was delivering a trinket to the next village over"

Slightly Lions posted:

What's the fearsomest thing you've ever fought?

The Sejin opens the golden book, and turns pages, until he comes upon an image

"An Abyss Dweller, in the shadow of the Brass City. I spent weeks recovering after the fact." He rolls up his sleeve, revealing a curious spiral scar that runs under his shirt. "This is a reminder of that fight."

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

What's the Brass City?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Magnusth posted:

What's the Brass City?

"It is... was, the crowning jewel of the achievements of the Great Wizards of Sylthous, a towering city of bronze, nested in the mountains" grief flashes across his features for an instant, "It no longer exists." He takes a deep steadying breath. "Some things are best left in the past. Of the Brass City, of Sylthous, I will not speak. I'm sorry Sundar"

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Question: Where is the Lake of Tears?

Question: Which one is my favorite of the Marids?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

TheCog posted:

"It is... was, the crowning jewel of the achievements of the Great Wizards of Sylthous, a towering city of bronze, nested in the mountains" grief flashes across his features for an instant, "It no longer exists." He takes a deep steadying breath. "Some things are best left in the past. Of the Brass City, of Sylthous, I will not speak. I'm sorry Sundar"

Say: "It's okay!" and hug him.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Magnusth posted:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

E - First step to taking levels in bard
H

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Prince of Space posted:

Question: Where is the Lake of Tears?

"Its far far to the south, near my homeland, but further north. There's a city perched on the edge of it. The water is so salty that a man can just float on it, without needing to swim."

Prince of Space posted:

Question: Which one is my favorite of the Marids?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Marids are servants of Awar the King of Gehenna, the greatest of all the Demons, and by and large when they show up in a story its as a baddie. The exact count of them is never resolved, but they come in all shapes and sizes, from beguiling shapeshifters, to storms of fire the size of cities. In these stories, the Marids *never* win.

Magnusth posted:

You share a tender moment with the Sejin. If you had supernatural narrative abilities you'd even notice he tears up a little. But since you're just an eleven year old, you don't.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

TheCog posted:

"Some, I'm sure, the sand-wurms are monstrous and terrible foes for example, but some have tried to tame them with mixed results.

Sweeeeeet. Totally voting to go tame a sand-wurm and ride it around like in Dune.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

TheCog posted:

I'm not sure I understand the question. Marids are servants of Awar the King of Gehenna, the greatest of all the Demons, and by and large when they show up in a story its as a baddie. The exact count of them is never resolved, but they come in all shapes and sizes, from beguiling shapeshifters, to storms of fire the size of cities. In these stories, the Marids *never* win.

Of course - the Marids are never the good guys. Allow me to rephrase:

Question: In "The Kidnapping of the Moon," which of the Marid encounters have I requested to hear the most times?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Can we get a doggy?

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Has the Sejin every shown any religious tendencies or done any religious rituals? have anyone else in the villages we've traveled through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Prince of Space posted:

Of course - the Marids are never the good guys. Allow me to rephrase:

Question: In "The Kidnapping of the Moon," which of the Marid encounters have I requested to hear the most times?
Ah, well, that's open to debate, I certainly wouldn't pick for you.

Minivote:

My Favorite Marid challenge in the Kidnapping of the Moon is:

1.) Abbad and the Marid of Many Faces. Abbad beats the Marid of Many Faces in a contest of riddles. Depending on how rushed the Sejin is this part can take a while, as new and interesting riddles show up. It always ends with the traditional riddle, "What is hotter than the blazing sun, more deadly than the bite of the sandsnake, crueler than man, worse than death, and more swift than the Dijin?" the answer, if of course, "Nothing"

2.) Abbad and the Great Serpent. Abbad fighs a Marid who's flesh keeps mending itself back together no matter how many times it is torn apart and which spits poisonous venom that can slay any mortal instantly. Abbad eventually defeats it by stabbing it with one of its own fangs, pinning it to the wall, where its regenerating flesh keeps it pinned.

3.) Abbad and the Endless Staircase. Seeing Abbad is making too much progress, one of the Marids, Ismat ad-Din (who shows up in other stories, always as a trickster demon of illusions), enchants the stairs so that they seem to go on forever. Fortunately one of the spirits Abbad befriended had given him the power to discern reality from lies, and he manages to find the hidden door and escape.

4.) Abbad and the Demons of His Mind. One of the Marids poisons the water Abbad has to swim through to progress. As he swims, he sees terrible visions of how his people need him, and his village being destroyed because he's not there. Abbad realizes he has a greater duty, and pushes through.

5.) Abbad and the Wheel of Destruction. The Wheel of Destruction is a Marid that takes the shape of wheels within wheels, and is made entirely of bronze. Abbad battles the Wheel, and is forced to use his whole array of mystical powers, including the ability to use the wind to move from place to place, and the ability to summon lightning from his hands.

6.) Abbad and the Prophecy: Abbad runs into Nabiin, the only Marid to ever show up as not completely evil. Nabiin warns Abbad that if he continues, he will never leave this realm and return to the surface,but that if he leaves now he'll live to a ripe old age and sire many children. Abbad has a long debate with himself, in which he recalls the suffering he has seen in the surface world, before deciding to push on.

7.) Abbad and the Treasure Chamber: Desperate to stop him, one of the Marids guides Abbad to the treasure chamber. Abbad finds himself in the biggest chamber he has ever seen, filled wall to wall with incredible treasures. The path forward is barred by a wall of gnashing teeth that will consume him. He learns, using his mystical powers, that he can only leave this chamber carrying one item. He further narrows it down to six items, but there his magic fails him. Each item gives a single clue, and Abbad must figure out which one to use to get past the wall of teeth. This is a traditional logic puzzle, and the Sejin often changes it up on you on retelling. It also features Abbad imagining all the good he could do with each of the items if he took them instead of recovering the moon.

8.) Actually my favorite part is when he battles Awar for three weeks and eventually sacrifices everything to save the moon!

EDIT: These are the Marid challenges that always show up in the story, depending on the Sejin's mood, there are others.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 6, 2017