Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

e.pilot posted:

Well yeah but I meant in a general sense of the whole crash. Looking closer at it, it looks like engine #1 was shut down and feathered before the crash, it’s the only prop undamaged.

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/10955

quote:

Delivered Tulsa 23/3/44; 88BG Hunter 18/5/44; Dow Fd 29/5/44; Assigned 324BS/91BG [DF-F] Bassingbourn 15/6/44; 50+m lost engine en route Fassberg A/fd 4/4/45 with Edgar Moyer, on return crash landed base when u/c collapsed; repaired & transferred 600BS/398BG [N8-R] Nuthampstead; mission to French bridges 8/7/44 with Curtis Lovelace, Co-pilot: Bob Hart, Navigator: Bob Uhl, Bombardier: Alton Andrews, Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Bob Rees, Radio Operator: Cliff Weatherwax, Ball turret gunner: Gerard Antaillia, Waist gunner: Phil Fritech,Tail gunner: Sam Miller (9 Returned to Duty); forced to bail out over Essex on return and crash landed Chelsworth, Suffolk; repaired and transferred 306BG 5/45. LITTLE MISS MISCHIEF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Nebakenezzer posted:

It doesn't look bad to me, for whatever that's worth. What's your project?

I'm doing a small audio piece on the Sas and they used Bristol Bombays early on.

Also ty to that other guy that was a great explanation.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Well, that’s that then. :colbert:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

I would have gone with this bit

Markings and paint scheme/livery

Tony Starcer noseart. Aircraft suffered significant damage, and was repaired with parts from another aircraft, to include the fuselage rear of the radio room, and the right outer wing. Various cowlings were replaced as well, creating a colorful and diverse aircraft. Repair is said to have included parts from 13 different aircraft to keep Little Miss Mischief airworthy. Main fuselage parts added believed to have come from "Walleroo Mk. 2" from 303rd BG, serial number 42-31405. Was later transferred to the 306th BG, and finished the war completing over 50 missions

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

bewbies posted:

The metallurgy thing was a much bigger deal for the airframe; the Russians didn't have some of the cutting edge stuff Boeing had access to, but they were damned if they weren't going to copy that thing rivet for rivet, so instead of modifying the design they just lowered the strength requirements, because Russia.

The article says otherwise:

quote:

Early on, Tupolev decided not to convert the U.S. units to the metric system, which would have been time consuming. The manufacture of aluminum panels exemplified the problem. The standard thickness of the aluminum skin on the B-29 was 1/16 of an inch (1.5875 millimeters). It was impossible for Soviet plants to fabricate metal sheets to that dimension. Tupolev opted to vary the thickness of the Tu-4’s skin between .8 and 1.8 millimeters, which actually had the effect of strengthening the aircraft’s structure in some areas. Despite such changes, the weight of the Tu-4 would turn out to be only one percent greater than the B-29.

Sure, "strengthening in some areas" doesn't disprove "lowered the strength requirements". It sounds like it wasn't necessarily dumb :shrug:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Anyone know what this... thing is? A friend of mine shot it near Schipol Airport.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

My guess is a firefighter training plane. Offers practice for second deck, tailfin engine, and the standard other stuff, all in one rig.

I could well be wrong though

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I figured it might be a building or training thing. Whatever it is it's amazingly ugly.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Anyone know what this... thing is? A friend of mine shot it near Schipol Airport.

It's a fire trainer
e:A better video, especially if you can speak Dutch

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Thanks! Those videos own.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Buttcoin purse posted:

The article says otherwise:

Sure, "strengthening in some areas" doesn't disprove "lowered the strength requirements". It sounds like it wasn't necessarily dumb :shrug:

This is accurate; the B-29s skin was just regular aluminum. The strength compromises came on the spar and longerons that had some sort of crazy new alloy.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Little Miss Mischief is probably the most distinctive B-17. But there's also these two:

A handful of B-17s had to land in Switzerland during the war, and the Swiss impounded them, and then put Swiss markings on them. Sources I've seen disagree over whether this was done specifically for the return ferry flights.

EDIT: Color drawings.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 6, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So Canada needs more fighters to be a band-aid for our 30+ year old F18s until the government finally decides what its going to do for the next gen.

Their answer? MORE 30+ year old F18s with documented fatigue problems because of the current pissing match with Boeing :downs:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/boeing-canada-used-jets-interest-1.4434527

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Speaking of Boeing, Delta appears to have figured out a way around the tariff issue by having Aeromexico (which it owns ~half of) buy the jets instead.

Amazes me that so many people believe that other countries dumping is bad for us and good for them, when in fact it's the other way around. If the Quebec government wants to pay Americans to fly in CSeries jets we should let them. Oh well. The Mexicans get to ride them instead. Winning!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Why don't they just buy Rafales? Or better yet, license build them at Bombardier?

Comedy option: Sidewinders on a CRJ-200?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

0toShifty posted:

Why don't they just buy Rafales? Or better yet, license build them at Bombardier?

Even worse: mail the enemy tickets for CRJ-200 rides.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Even worse: mail the enemy tickets for CRJ-200 rides.

Pretty sure that violates the Geneva Convention.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Speaking of Boeing, Delta appears to have figured out a way around the tariff issue by having Aeromexico (which it owns ~half of) buy the jets instead.

Amazes me that so many people believe that other countries dumping is bad for us and good for them, when in fact it's the other way around. If the Quebec government wants to pay Americans to fly in CSeries jets we should let them. Oh well. The Mexicans get to ride them instead. Winning!

The US trade court should rule that the tariffs will only be applied if Boeing makes MD designs again

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

So Canada needs more fighters to be a band-aid for our 30+ year old F18s until the government finally decides what its going to do for the next gen.

Their answer? MORE 30+ year old F18s with documented fatigue problems because of the current pissing match with Boeing :downs:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/boeing-canada-used-jets-interest-1.4434527

Came here to post this

This is fallen down the memory hole, but what was the original date to have the last CF-18s out of service? 2020?

Also: Davies shipyard does a good job trolling the pols

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

0toShifty posted:

TBH, the French seemed ready to make some sort of deal like that. Honestly, I'd just get the French to build 'em, they are good at it

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Nebakenezzer posted:

un-survivable damage, B-17 edition:

:catstare: What the hell's the story on that?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Zemyla posted:

Flak.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Crosspost:

mlmp08 posted:

Top Gun 2: Aggressor squadron still rocking A-4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmutFmfB0q4

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

0toShifty posted:

I've said this before, but the CRJ-200 will happily fly inverted in the sim.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

Came here to post this

This is fallen down the memory hole, but what was the original date to have the last CF-18s out of service? 2020?

Also: Davies shipyard does a good job trolling the pols

The original date? As in the original, original date as stated by the NFA program back in 1982? Because that would be 2007.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Crosspost:

I'm sure real missile shots would make it irrelevant but there is kind of a hilarious speed differential between an F-22 dropping out of 40k like Thor's hammer and a couple of A-4s at low level.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Zemyla posted:

Ack-ack over Calais

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Small imagedump of culled images. Honestly lots of them are really good, but the organization is poo poo, so I just save the ones I find particularly striking:

Early chemtrail experiment:

NASA's B-52. I think they gave it back.

I'm not sure of the story, but this B-29 landed on a beach. At low tide, I guess

P. sure this is a jettison of a empty B-17 ball turret:

Nose art [permissible]:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
The Hiller Rotorcycle is so cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNxLc6UQzjo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is that a prototype B-36 with no JATO?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

~Coxy posted:

Even better, that's when they replaced the giant wheels with tank treads.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They have one at the Hiller museum in San Mateo, and the placards there suggest that the four-minute assembly was extremely optimistic, and a more realistic figure might be half an hour by someone who was already familiar with the machine and who wasn't being shot at by the enemy and who hadn't been injured in a recent plane crash or ejection event.

Neat idea, though.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

More like they went there :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Sagebrush posted:

They have one at the Hiller museum in San Mateo, and the placards there suggest that the four-minute assembly was extremely optimistic, and a more realistic figure might be half an hour by someone who was already familiar with the machine and who wasn't being shot at by the enemy and who hadn't been injured in a recent plane crash or ejection event.

Neat idea, though.

I want to know whether four minutes is possible at the racing pit crew level or if it’s complete and utter BS.

If they weren’t shooting at you before the Rotorcycle dropped, they will be shooting at you after it drops.

They covet the Rotorcycle. :freep:

Imagine a world where this won the contract and not the ubiquitous Huey.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

My freakishly large cock requires unconventional transportation

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Something about the cockpit windows and rediciously deep fuselage makes me wonder if this is a visitor from some other timeline where the Italians still had money and resources in the later parts of WW2.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

An-22 taking off and landing at Gander, after delivering (and/or picking up) parts to the A-380 that had an engine failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEKcaUloIaQ

Doesn't quite convey the loudness, but it sure has a characteristic signature. Sounds a bit like a 70s Soviet sci-fi movie dubbed with modular synth sound effects.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
An An-124 woke me up 45 minutes ago on final into Dulles. Thanks Volga-Dnepr!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Ola posted:

An-22 taking off and landing at Gander, after delivering (and/or picking up) parts to the A-380 that had an engine failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEKcaUloIaQ

Doesn't quite convey the loudness, but it sure has a characteristic signature. Sounds a bit like a 70s Soviet sci-fi movie dubbed with modular synth sound effects.

That is such a cool, just, chunky rear end plane and :eyepop: that doppler effect on takeoff it's like a tron recognizer meets the worlds worst room fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

~Coxy posted:

The XB-36, YB-36, B-36A and B-36B were built without J47 pods. 86 airplanes, by Wikipedia’s count. Most were converted to later variants with the jet engines.