Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is titanium backup still the recommended option when moving to a new phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Is titanium backup still the recommended option when moving to a new phone?

If you're rooting anyway I guess but honestly when I set up my Pixel I didn't need it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Yeah on my pixel 2 it was a very convenient process, this would be for a mate 10 lite tho, which I assume doesn't offer that kind of native support.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Swift backup is good

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there any Windows software that simplifies ADB Backup and Restore and lets you pick and choose what apps and data get backed up?

edit: ADB might not be capable of seeing what's installed, so I guess I'd like it to let me choose what to restore.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there any Windows software that simplifies ADB Backup and Restore and lets you pick and choose what apps and data get backed up?

edit: ADB might not be capable of seeing what's installed, so I guess I'd like it to let me choose what to restore.

Pretty sure this is what Helium does, but I've never used it and can't vouch for it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hot date tonight! posted:

Pretty sure this is what Helium does, but I've never used it and can't vouch for it.

It is what Helium does and it works well enough. It's a hassle in a lot of ways but so is ADB backup. Helium makes it as good as it can be.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Recommended app for keep track of expenses whilst on holiday?

Must handle multi currencies and be able to export to excel/csv

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a go to Twitter app recommendation? I remember folks talking about Flamingo a while back.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a go to Twitter app recommendation? I remember folks talking about Flamingo a while back.

I use Flamingo and I like it. It can't do polls or moments, but that's it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Android Apps: Use Flamingo or Fenix for Twitter

Ahem

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao I didn't even see that

e: vvvv welp

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 5, 2017

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

prob because it got changed right after you posted

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to turn off the advertising notifications from the Amazon app but keep the ones for orders?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

Is there a way to turn off the advertising notifications from the Amazon app but keep the ones for orders?

Yes?

I mean, I don't want to sound like a dick, but the Amazon app actually has some pretty extensive notification options right in plain sight in the settings.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
:doh: I was distracted by the Notifications option in the menu and didn't go into the settings proper.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

:doh: I was distracted by the Notifications option in the menu and didn't go into the settings proper.

If it helps, I did the same thing in my attempts to turn off all the "hey, this thing you looked at six months ago is $5" notifications.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

Ha, I could see that and I think I got similarly confused at first.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Any reason to upgrade to Fenix 2 if I already like Fenix or is it just one of those things where they ran out of app keys for Twitter's dumb API?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm fairly sure it's just that

You should try Flamingo though, it's really nice to have threads working properly after coming from fenix

You can set the two up to be pretty much identical

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
What does the Twitter app do or not-do that inspires you folks to go 3rd party?

Just wondering what I'm missing out on.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
In my brief experience, flamingo seems to load tweets faster and more reliably than the website. I've not tried their official app, if they even have one.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've not used it in a while but it was the endless promotional tweets and showing me ' what I missed' even though I'd quite like to just carry on from where I left off thanks

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

AnimalChin posted:

Pulling tweets out of order into an "in case you missed it" thing, showing me tweets someone I follow liked (leading to seeing the same tweets multiple times), tweets will sometimes not show up or if they do not be in chronological order (I regularly get a different timeline between mobile and web).

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The in case you missed it "feature" is the worst, I don't understand why Twitter does it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Twitter Lite has been working great for me ever since they made that a thing. It's way faster than Flamingo was for the week I used it (after paying for it), but I'm far from a Twitter power user.

The actual Twitter app takes an absurd amount of time to open Twitter links for me, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Any reason to upgrade to Fenix 2 if I already like Fenix or is it just one of those things where they ran out of app keys for Twitter's dumb API?

It's an all new rewrite. I followed it all the way through the beta but Flamingo is still better.

AnimalChin posted:

Bypassing their advertising and a better widget. I never tweet but I read all my followed tweets and for that a good widget is a must.

Stevie Lee posted:

Twitter Lite has been working great for me ever since they made that a thing. It's way faster than Flamingo was for the week I used it (after paying for it), but I'm far from a Twitter power user.

The actual Twitter app takes an absurd amount of time to open Twitter links for me, though.

I keep this around because you need it for third party apps to reliably capture notifications. It's definitely better than the app, no doubt.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Facebook app updated yesterday and now it doesn't open and keeps crashing in the background. Super annoying constantly getting a popup, especially when I was trying to watch some YouTube.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
All of the above, plus Flamingo has dark themes for OLED supremacy

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use flamingo because it's much faster with a way nicer interface, and there's less poo poo like ads and "in case you missed it"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just switched from LG to Samsung. Does Samsung not have any kind of Notes app? I loved the one my LG had. It just showed a list of notes, with the most recent on top, and tapping one showed me the contents. I could swipe left or right to go to newer/older notes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kheldarn posted:

Just switched from LG to Samsung. Does Samsung not have any kind of Notes app? I loved the one my LG had. It just showed a list of notes, with the most recent on top, and tapping one showed me the contents. I could swipe left or right to go to newer/older notes.

Generally speaking, the apps that come with your phone are not the epitome of goodness.

Check out Google Keep for a simple note taking app. (funnily enough, it's the note-taking app that comes with Google-branded phones)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Generally speaking, the apps that come with your phone are not the epitome of goodness.

Check out Google Keep for a simple note taking app. (funnily enough, it's the note-taking app that comes with Google-branded phones)

I don't recall Keep coming pre-installed on my 6P or my Pixel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

It does, there's a Samsung Notes app, but it's poo poo. Use Keep or whatever, as said.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I tried Keep, and it doesn't work for what I want to do with it. I use it to store notes for work related stuff. It's senstive stuff, so I don't want it available to any device that can access Keep, just my phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

colornote?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

I tried Keep, and it doesn't work for what I want to do with it. I use it to store notes for work related stuff. It's senstive stuff, so I don't want it available to any device that can access Keep, just my phone.

This sounds like a wonderful approach to the problem.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You could disable sync for keep on the phone if you don't use it for other stuff

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't recall Keep coming pre-installed on my 6P or my Pixel.

Well that'll teach me to just assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm assuming you have a Microsoft work account and can use OneNote.