Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I helped my buddy finish his story last night and didn't have enough time to play any of the expansion, but I did have enough time to buy some engrams. Got Mic Drop and that sick nasty exotic ship with the crystals coming out of the top, plus some awesome skins and really nice looking speeders. Probably some other poo poo, but I can't remember everything.

Before yesterday I was like "man, why do these guys care about these stupid skins so much. They aren't a big deal at all."

Now I want to finish the engram Hunter armor set because the chest and gauntlets dropped and they look amazing

:(

but secretly :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I did normal strikes yesterday for the milestone and somehow got the Exodus Black one three times in a row.

What really sucks is I have the quest to do the strike, but it doesn't count unless you do it specifically for the quest. But doing it via the quest doesn't queue you with anyone...

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah my chief complaint is that the entire expansion was about Ilona and Osiris and we don’t know anything about either of them.

Why would you exile the most powerful guardian?

How was this all so long ago that a cult (of one man!?!) sprang up around him and wrote books about it?

This is D1 grimoire stuff but:

When he became vanguard commander (years ago after the battle of six fronts) he became obsessed with the vex, diverting guardians to study them to the point of harming the city (losing Kabr's fireteam to the vault for example).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Electronico6 posted:

Though I'm willing to bet the reason you don't see more mixed enemies in the forest rooms is that they all programmed to fight each other if they come in contact.

Not that it matters but the new zone in the recently released Division update reverses that exact same thing. There are several factions in the game with their own territories and if they cross paths, normally they fight. In this area they all spawn a lot more and work together to kill Agents (players).

While I understand it might not be the easiest thing to reverse, it sounds like it'd be a welcome addition/aspect of randomized Rift-likes.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I did normal strikes yesterday for the milestone and somehow got the Exodus Black one three times in a row.

What really sucks is I have the quest to do the strike, but it doesn't count unless you do it specifically for the quest. But doing it via the quest doesn't queue you with anyone...

it has mission specific dialogue and you don't have to finish it. only kill the named servitor in the shaft before the boss. you can solo that poo poo

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Are there any EU focused clans?

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Is the "infinite" forest anything more then just the 3 adventures/heroic versions? There appears to be no way of getting in after the campaign other then starting one of the adventures...and those all had just minor variations until the final section.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

treizebee posted:

Is the "infinite" forest anything more then just the 3 adventures/heroic versions? There appears to be no way of getting in after the campaign other then starting one of the adventures...and those all had just minor variations until the final section.

That's it. That's the infinite forest. Welcome.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL it's Infinite in the same way the rest of the game is infinite

Edit: I read absolutely everything about this expansion and I can't help but feel like they were making the Infinite Forest out to be like THE MAIN THING and their response to "I know it seems content light but what about the INFINITE FOREST!?!" and maybe that was us collectively reading too much into an exciting name?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Stangg posted:

Are there any EU focused clans?

Goon Tang Clan: https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=2849069
Discord: https://discord.gg/dTk7yxW

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks but it seems it's full :(

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Stormgale posted:

This is D1 grimoire stuff but:

When he became vanguard commander (years ago after the battle of six fronts) he became obsessed with the vex, diverting guardians to study them to the point of harming the city (losing Kabr's fireteam to the vault for example).

He also got into an argument with the Speaker on the nature of the Traveller, which was the tipping point in the whole affair. The Speaker called for his exile. His followers nearly rose up, but Osiris accepted the exile and headed for Mercury to continue his research. His followers joined him but then lost him soon after, and a cult rose up from that.

It'd be great if the story explored more of this, like what Osiris said that pissed off the Speaker, what the 'Lost Prophecies' actually are, and so forth. But from what I've seen, it barely scratches the surface of that and it's a real wasted opportunity to help flesh out the world.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s literally “Osiris is missing!”
Ikora: “He was my mentor, we must find him”
Ghost: “that dude is sweet”

in its totality

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

J.A.B.C. posted:

He also got into an argument with the Speaker on the nature of the Traveller, which was the tipping point in the whole affair. The Speaker called for his exile. His followers nearly rose up, but Osiris accepted the exile and headed for Mercury to continue his research. His followers joined him but then lost him soon after, and a cult rose up from that.

It'd be great if the story explored more of this, like what Osiris said that pissed off the Speaker, what the 'Lost Prophecies' actually are, and so forth. But from what I've seen, it barely scratches the surface of that and it's a real wasted opportunity to help flesh out the world.

Yea it's hilarious that Osiris was teased for three years of Destiny only to end up milling around in the background of a super mechanical plot - "We need to get this map. Hmm, it's not here, try here. Hmm, we can't read it, try this. Hmm,"

Culminating in the moving character-driven moment where Ikora goes "It took Osiris a year to figure out how to open this door, but we don't have a year, so, *opens door*"

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL it's Infinite in the same way the rest of the game is infinite

Edit: I read absolutely everything about this expansion and I can't help but feel like they were making the Infinite Forest out to be like THE MAIN THING and their response to "I know it seems content light but what about the INFINITE FOREST!?!" and maybe that was us collectively reading too much into an exciting name?

I wasn't expecting it to be full procedural generation, but the variations in the "infinite" section are so minor and bland that by the second adventure, I was skipping the unlocked rooms until I ran into daemons. I was already recognizing the same room layouts.

You are right though. My mindset going in was that the forest contained the core content of the expansion, as that was how it was marketed. However, it's probably less excessively reading into a name and more expecting what we were told. :downs:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s literally “Osiris is missing!”
Ikora: “He was my mentor, we must find him”
Ghost: “that dude is sweet”

in its totality

It would have been worth the price of the expansion just to keep Sagira as your ghost's voice because holy poo poo is she far less annoying than the current one.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Dunno if this expansion warranted a whole new thread tbh

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
At the very least the Infinite Forest functions as legitimately challenging solo content, something the game has badly needed. It ain't perfect even at being that but you take what you can get

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Space Hamlet posted:

Yea it's hilarious that Osiris was teased for three years of Destiny only to end up milling around in the background of a super mechanical plot - "We need to get this map. Hmm, it's not here, try here. Hmm, we can't read it, try this. Hmm,"

Culminating in the moving character-driven moment where Ikora goes "It took Osiris a year to figure out how to open this door, but we don't have a year, so, *opens door*"

This all makes a lot more sense when you realize that Ikora is definitely the protagonist of a Destiny anime. Cayde-6 is her Roronoa Zoro, where he's technically extremely competent but mostly just stirs up trouble by existing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Space Hamlet posted:

At the very least the Infinite Forest functions as legitimately challenging solo content, something the game has badly needed. It ain't perfect even at being that but you take what you can get

Are you supposed to do heroic strikes solo?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Spanish Manlove posted:

It would have been worth the price of the expansion just to keep Sagira as your ghost's voice because holy poo poo is she far less annoying than the current one.

I really liked Peter Dinklage as ghost and I find myself missing him over high pitched Nathan Drake.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are you supposed to do heroic strikes solo?

Nah, but it would be fun to try, except that you can't unless you can get two friends to queue with you then leave

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Space Hamlet posted:

Nah, but it would be fun to try, except that you can't unless you can get two friends to queue with you then leave

Wait, I meant heroic adventures.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wait, I meant heroic adventures.

They don't feel designed for solo, no, but they're doable - you're sure to win through sheer attrition, so it's a matter of getting a smooth a run as you can (and if you're a real pro, completing the optional objective)

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Space Hamlet posted:

Do you mean the heroic version of the infinite forest? Because that indeed was challenging solo.
e: then again, the modifier I had for "up and up" was prism which I think skewed the difficulty as I believe it's one of the harder modifiers (especially solo) along with momentum.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

treizebee posted:

Do you mean the heroic version of the infinite forest? Because that indeed was challenging solo.

Yea

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Space Hamlet posted:

They don't feel designed for solo, no, but they're doable - you're sure to win through sheer attrition, so it's a matter of getting a smooth a run as you can (and if you're a real pro, completing the optional objective)

That's what I thought. I barely missed the timer when I was doing it yesterday on my titan but I didn't even realize there was a timer until the very last room as I was taking my time, trying to appreciate this new content instead of just chugging it all then complaining about running out of poo poo to do. Also I died a lot because I forgot that the rotating elements thing also increases enemy damage :downs:

So I think the optional objective is doable solo if you skip stuff.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Did the Fallen Heroic solo at 305 and actually enjoyed it. Didn't make the timer but at least part of that was through flubbing jumps.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The named yellow mobs that spawn as a bonus during Heroic public events are more valuable than the heroic event chests now.

Averaging 3 tokens and 2 blues from the yellow guy, then 1 token and a blue from the chest.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Spent 500 shards on engrams from Rahool, didn't get a single new item so that's not possible iI guess.
Also dismantled all of it and went to the gunsmith, didn't get a single weapon i haven't seen before

:shepspends:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

QuasiQuack posted:

Spent 500 shards on engrams from Rahool, didn't get a single new item so that's not possible iI guess.
Also dismantled all of it and went to the gunsmith, didn't get a single weapon i haven't seen before

:shepspends:

rahool only has the planetary items that you can get from all the vendors. says so in the update notes and his preview. there was nothing added to that pool with the dlc

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
So when does the new raid unlock?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

announcement on date for new raid content is expected to come out today. most people are anticipating that it'll be on Friday or Wednesday (a week from today)

https://twitter.com/DeeJ_BNG/status/937777517246562304

AAB fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 6, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Do public events even drop exotics anymore jfc?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Norns posted:

Do public events even drop exotics anymore jfc?

Yup. I got an exotic from one last night.

Sometimes I get strings of bad luck where I'll do 5-10 heroic events and won't get an exotic. I don't think they've changed anything.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

honestly as i was knocking out challenges last night trying to make cash i got more legendary and exotic engrams out of public events than i've seen in a long time (want to say two of each) so i didn't know if something got rejiggered or what

one of the exotics was a duplicate starfire chest and the other was a D.A.R.C.I so who really gives a poo poo, but still

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Yup. I got an exotic from one last night.

Sometimes I get strings of bad luck where I'll do 5-10 heroic events and won't get an exotic. I don't think they've changed anything.

I did like 30 between my characters and got tokens and blues. Was rad.

I'll probably just ignore them now and grind heroic strike queue for ornament unlocks

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Norns posted:

I did like 30 between my characters and got tokens and blues. Was rad.

this is how it usually goes for me, maybe we swapped loot tables

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Have they said how long seasons are supposed to be or is it just whenever they release DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Norns posted:

Have they said how long seasons are supposed to be or is it just whenever they release DLC?

I think it's like, 3 months or so.

• Locked thread