Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Louisgod posted:

This game is boring as poo poo without an event and I have zero motivation to do anything in it until they either improve spawns, release shinies for everything, or come out with Gen3. Leveling up past level 35 has been an absolute bore.

sounds like you should just stop playing until gen3 happens. burnout is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

DizzyBum posted:

Also, I wonder if they're gonna release Delibird during a Christmas event.

It seems like it'd be a huge missed opportunity if they don't. Then again, it's Niantic, so who knows.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Psion posted:

sounds like you should just stop playing until gen3 happens. burnout is real.

Yep, I'm turning the game off for a while, needlessly plodding through tedious poo poo between events and trying to rack up another 1m experience is extremely boring. The new open street maps update also took away the creek near the park by my house and in turn removed all the Dratini and Magikarp that spawned near it. Game sucks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Can you add stuff to open street maps and have it show up in game?

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Only if or when Niantic updates the in game version of OSM.

We lost a ton of buildings, but our parks and bodies of water are better defined.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Yep, I'm turning the game off for a while, needlessly plodding through tedious poo poo between events and trying to rack up another 1m experience is extremely boring. The new open street maps update also took away the creek near the park by my house and in turn removed all the Dratini and Magikarp that spawned near it. Game sucks.

Well that's a kick in the balls. I also noticed some creeks vanishing from the map; luckily there's nothing that got adversely affected on my usual route to and from work.

I'll still turn the game on and pocket my phone while walking since I always have an egg backlog. I just hatched a 10km from July! :lol: (It was a really good Snorlax :stare:)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

DizzyBum posted:

I figured shinies for everything would get released by now, considering they teased them with Magikarp, Pikachu, and the Hoenn ghosts. Kinda disappointed they haven't. It would be a good way to fill the void in-between now and Hoenn.

Also, I wonder if they're gonna release Delibird during a Christmas event.

Do they really not have shiny chances for all mons?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Louisgod posted:

This game is boring as poo poo without an event and I have zero motivation to do anything in it until they either improve spawns, release shinies for everything, or come out with Gen3. Leveling up past level 35 has been an absolute bore.

Agreed. I'm halfway through 35 and don't have the motivation to do anything outside events except keep my catch streak going for the dust. I've even stopped bothering opening my game when I'm moving since 95% of egg hatches are absolute garbage.

I also haven't caught a legendary since day 1 of Raikou a few months ago. I do maybe 1-2 legendary raids a week, whenever the work gym pops one up at a convenient time. Every single one since that Raikou pops out of the ball on the first shake. I'm about to stop even bothering since it's just not fun not catching one in 2+ months or whatever.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Nope, just the ones I mentioned (so far). Presumably, we'll get all shinies eventually. No idea when, though.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Well darn, doesn't seem to be any trashmon nests anywhere around my area, or in general i suppose. Getting from level 39 to 40 is gonna be one hell of a slog to get through :ohdear:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Webbeh posted:

Niantic: Has 250 unique animated Pokemon models. Can't be hosed to give them a second texture.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I thought someone datamined and found shiny textures for all Pokemon, and found that Niantic mistakenly gave out Zapdos' shiny color regularly instead of its normal color (the shiny color is just slightly darker yellow, that's all). I don't know if Niantic has since fixed that for everyone's game by flipping Zapdos' shiny and normal color or not.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the update completely deleted oregon's rogue river from the game

this is a 200+ mile major river lmao

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
My game bugged and gave my Tyranitar a mega evolution

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't walk with his buddy, I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What's the better quick move for porygon2, hidden power or charge beam? Assuming that HP is anything but Normal typing cause gently caress burning quick TMs for that noise

White Light fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 5, 2017

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

financially racist posted:

The Columbia's still there!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

financially racist posted:

climate change, bitch.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Parrotine posted:

What's the better quick move for porygon2, hidden power or charge beam? Assuming that HP is anything but Normal typing cause gently caress burning quick TMs for that noise

Hidden power is stronger, regardless of the type it gets. However, there's no good place for Porygon2 in raids. Hyper beam isn't super effective against anything, and zap cannon / solar beam will be outclassed by electric or grass types with STAB.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Louisgod posted:

climate change, bitch.

Rain Dance and Sunny Day were introduced in Gen 2 :tinfoil:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I don't like this news about the extension to Ho-Oh being in raids because it probably means other events will be pushed back, namely gen 3 release. Even if it doesn't affect other event schedules, I want Lugia to get back into the legendary raid mix asap instead of holding it longer for JUST Ho-Oh.

I've had enough of being one-shotted by Solar Beams. :(

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
My level 40 Tyranitars can survive one Solar Beam

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Hidden power is stronger, regardless of the type it gets. However, there's no good place for Porygon2 in raids. Hyper beam isn't super effective against anything, and zap cannon / solar beam will be outclassed by electric or grass types with STAB.

Oh I dont really care if it's great for raiding or not, I just wanna have fun when tearing down rival gyms

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

^^ Solar Beam probably has more use than Zap Cannon imo

e: Oops your original question was about its quick attack. If you want to have fun I'd experiment with whatever your Hidden Power's type is. The type also won't change no matter how many times you use Quick TMs for it because it's linked to what its IVs are. Regardless, Hidden Power on paper does more dps than Charge Beam.

Dr Tran posted:

My level 40 Tyranitars can survive one Solar Beam

My 2 highest Vaporeon can too, and it's annoying the game never puts them in my starting lineup and favors my 2 highest Golem instead that can't even get off one charge attack before dying to a Solar Beam.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 5, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've read that Go performs a lot better with iOS. I feel like I get the dodge glitch a ton, which prevents me from doing some solo raids. Is that a problem for iOS users?

I'm not about to buy a new phone for PoGo, but...

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Niantic: Has 250 unique animated Pokemon models. Can't be hosed to give them a second texture.
If I recall the models and animations are actually just assets given to them from one of the 3DS games too.

seiferguy posted:

I've read that Go performs a lot better with iOS. I feel like I get the dodge glitch a ton, which prevents me from doing some solo raids. Is that a problem for iOS users?

I'm not about to buy a new phone for PoGo, but...
The dodge glitch is alive and well on iOS. It sucks for Ho-Oh because solar beam hits like a truck and can one shot most things not at full health. Not even worth dodging because you'll get stuck in limbo 5 times.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Steve Jorbs posted:

If I recall the models and animations are actually just assets given to them from one of the 3DS games too.
The dodge glitch is alive and well on iOS. It sucks for Ho-Oh because solar beam hits like a truck and can one shot most things not at full health. Not even worth dodging because you'll get stuck in limbo 5 times.

Yeah, assets look exactly the same in Pokémon Sun / Moon as they do in Go. They do the exact same animations as well.

And good to know. I really do want to try soloing some 3 star raids, but I really feel screwed by that issue.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, assets look exactly the same in Pokémon Sun / Moon as they do in Go. They do the exact same animations as well.

And good to know. I really do want to try soloing some 3 star raids, but I really feel screwed by that issue.

I couldn't finish a Ninetails but I have done the other level 3 bosses solo. I haven't beaten a Cloyster solo yet :negative:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

kensei posted:

I couldn't finish a Ninetails but I have done the other level 3 bosses solo. I haven't beaten a Cloyster solo yet :negative:

I have yet to beat Omastar solo. I need more exeggute candy to do that.

Ninetails is the hardest of the current level 3 raids. Someone has done it. You need 6 high IV / near max golems with ideal movesets, and it needs to be a ninetails that doesn't have solar beam. Person beat it with 3 seconds to live.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Could somebody describe the Dodge glitch to me? Like how exactly does it work? Sorry if someone said it and I missed it. I haven't done many raids lately.

Also, is it worth even trying to join a Ho-Oh raid group if you're a level 27 with not much better than a 2500 Vaporeon? I was going to try and catch one soon but these one shot stories are scaring me a little bit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Could somebody describe the Dodge glitch to me? Like how exactly does it work? Sorry if someone said it and I missed it. I haven't done many raids lately.

Also, is it worth even trying to join a Ho-Oh raid group if you're a level 27 with not much better than a 2500 Vaporeon? I was going to try and catch one soon but these one shot stories are scaring me a little bit.

Yeah especially if it's like 7+ people.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been sitting with Go open for like an hour waiting for even a Pidgey to show up to finish my weekly streak.

Still no luck.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been sitting with Go open for like an hour waiting for even a Pidgey to show up to finish my weekly streak.

Still no luck.

Insense

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'd be Incensed, too.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Dodge glitch: the game is slow and will often give your health back to make up for you dodging an attack instead of never applying the full damage (which you'd think the game should be doing in the first place). Say you dodge an attack. The game is slow especially in raids and will apply the 100% damage (like you never dodged) instead of 25% (for a successful dodge) and will take a second before giving back your health equal to 75% of the attack that would have taken off if you didn't dodge.

Knowing this, this is especially painful fighting a raid boss and when it does a charge attack that would take off a huge chunk of your health. The glitch part comes when your health is low enough where your Pokemon would faint if it took 100% of the boss' charge attack, but you dodged successfully. The game is slow and applies the 100% damage first, and also recognizes your Pokemon faints. But then it goes back to try to fix itself because it also knew you dodged, but it runs into a conflict in that they already fainted your Pokemon for you and doesn't know how to revive you back into an alive state with just 25% of the boss' charge attack damage instead. Your Pokemon just sits there in limbo: unable to deal damage because the game thinks you've fainted, but also won't change to your next Pokemon because it also has a ghost state of your Pokemon with the correct damage and health left. You have to wait until that ghost state HP is killed before the game changes to your next Pokemon for you.

tl;dr If you dodge a big attack and have low health during a raid, the game will gently caress up and leave you in limbo because it can't make up its mind if you died or not and you wait doing nothing until the game fixes itself.

It sucks, and makes most people avoid dodging to prevent the stupid limbo/ghost state from happening and would rather just take the full damage and faint instead.

To your second question: absolutely join a group. It's not like you won't get any damage done even if the Ho-Oh has a Solar Beam. You chipping away at it as much as you can with your quick attacks can mean the difference in a group that's on the edge of winning or losing.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

seiferguy posted:

It absolutely screws you on soloing level threes, yup. One of the friends I play with the the most gets this glitch kinda often. We tend to roll around together for Machamps when possible, since he gets the dodge glitch a lot and I get it occasionally, plus I get a separate rubber-banding issue that's just from having a lovely carrier.

We do separate lobbies at the same time, then if one of us has issues, we both back out and fight it together, or the person without issues finishes and then switches to their baby account for that little bit of an edge.

No idea if you have anyone on Discord/FB who lives/works kinda near you, but if you do, worth it to see if they want to be backup.

Yes, it's worth it, catch the fire turkey. You need 4 people with good, maxed out counters, or seven-eight with some DPS power. I've been four-manning them, and I still prefer when we have 10+ people, because then I don't have to revive and go back in and it's just generally less distressing than watching at least nine maxed and nearly-maxed Pokemon croak almost instantly.

If you're concerned, just be like "hey, I'm only level 27, do we have this?" Usually this will set off whoever is there and most "into" the game into asking about levels and counters.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Oh boy, gen III is finally coming!

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/hoenn-pokemon

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Weather effects are something I didn't see coming and seem kind of cool.

Of course depending on where you live you may not see certain weather effects at all.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looking forward to people driving around in fog and snow and high winds to catch mons. What could go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

Looking forward to people driving around in fog and snow and high winds to catch mons. What could go wrong?

The 2018 Hurricane Season will feature the release of the Legendary Weather Pokémon Raids.

• Locked thread