Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
EXPECTED RESULT
Be able to place cargo or crate down without it being stuck to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

That's some nice junk in your trunk.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kreYDDpscGI&t=45s

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Codezombie posted:

It would be too easy to grief in SC, so easy it's simply not worth it...

I can't imagine what Mittani and the guys over there would come up with if the game ever came out. And they get this bothered from a DS character? Unreal.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

by never releasing, they claim they never have to pay royalties
Truly genius.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
*frantically attempts to close menu while $800 ship crashes into a moon*

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

Yes, that's basically it.

As I've heard, they owe CryTek royalties for using their engine if/when the game ever releases. The Grey area is that by never releasing, they claim they never have to pay royalties. So part of the LY switch was not only to avoid paying CryTek royalties (which would be in the millions, given how much money they have raised), but also to dump the engine support on AMZ through their work with LY.

I already wrote a blog explaining why they didn't actually "switch" to LY fully, and that they're just pretending that they did. Switching from Google Compute to AWS was trivial, and they only did it because it's a requirement of using LY.

I have no doubt that CryTek is going to sue them at some point. But I can't say more about that atm.

I mean, the way CIG has treated CryTek has been pretty gross. They enter a partnership, CIG poaches their senior talent, then peaces out and gets in bed with Amazon. I hope CryTek has something they can hang a lawsuit on.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

They could fix that bug ooooorrrrr

they could sell elevator suits.

They're reading this thread. We just fixed the bug in a future patch.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

lol CIG can’t even put a book

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Toops posted:

I mean, the way CIG has treated CryTek has been pretty gross. They enter a partnership, CIG poaches their senior talent, then peaces out and gets in bed with Amazon. I hope CryTek has something they can hang a lawsuit on.

The CryTek top brass don't play softball. I know someone who was asked during a job interview there if he had an SO, because they preferred staff without attachments (family got in the way of crunch). They also had a tendency to try and trick applicants into writing actual production code to be "evaluated". Add to that the way CryTek treated their staff during their recent financial crisis, trying to convince them not to act on missing paychecks (which in Europe can cause a loss of ability to get compensation in case of bankruptcy), was pretty lovely. They certainly don't deserve any pity. But I am pretty sure they'll sure hardcore if they can.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

They're reading this thread. We just fixed the bug in a future patch.

If they sell elevator suits I'm going to called it all over the ceiling.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DtHTidQT3Q&t=84s

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Truly remarkable that out of 4 characters, only 1 is in the correct position.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F7P2GY4cRk&t=658s

:gary:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEdLe9uqW68&t=26s

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

If they sell elevator suits I'm going to called it all over the ceiling.

You call it into your socks like every other adult male. We're not repainting the ceiling every time there's calling ITT.

Can't even have blacklight because of the calling everywhere.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5vGophM_s

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

What is funnier, the flying character or the frame rate?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The moment you notice something funny it's impossible to look at it because the FPS is so low.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

That'll be that high fidelity flight model.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

It's nice to see that in a distant future world with FTL travel and gravity goo, someone is still printing hardback books.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Toops posted:

Alright this is what my chef sister said. I don’t quite fully understand but here you go:

I am appalled by her grammar.

I need her in my life. It's like she gets me.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7WjVIM5zw0&t=2s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-GF5dfOqM

:gary:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

It's nice to see that in a distant future world with FTL travel and gravity goo, someone is still printing hardback books.

Need something to read on the space toilets.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

*frantically attempts to close menu while $800 ship crashes into a moon*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DDw3NmlRc&t=14s

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Every game has bugs but with SC it's the nature of these bugs that's so alarming. It's so bad. I'm not an IT person but it's like fundamental stuff is missing in the game or was just rushed when you see ships doing stuff like this and people's heads coming off. It's remarkable how bad they are at making a game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

But I am pretty sure they'll sure hardcore if they can.

They're currently deflating still and they only have a couple of F2P titles on the table after transferring most of the UK staff over to Deepsilver, so Free Radical -> CryTek UK -> Dambusters.

I don't know that they could go after them at this point, it's not criminal to poach staff unless there's a contractual clause.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

So much delightfulness here. The death stare of the NPC, whose face looks like one of those masks for injured WWI vets. The drink that must have been made with gravity goo, because it's tipped over but not flowing out. "Jonesin'" whiskey and "Blackbeard" rum.

I'll take two Hairy Robertses and a chaser of X'ian firewater, barkeep. Keep the change.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Hav posted:

They're currently deflating still and they only have a couple of F2P titles on the table after transferring most of the UK staff over to Deepsilver, so Free Radical -> CryTek UK -> Dambusters.

I don't know that they could go after them at this point, it's not criminal to poach staff unless there's a contractual clause.

Yeah, I am also skeptical they have any legal leg to stand on. They might hope for a settlement, if CIG has something they don't want to be exposed during legal proceedings. Who knows.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

And what's with SC and having your character randomly die while doing nothing? It seems like you'd have to try really hard to be bad at programming to make that happen in your game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bayonnefrog posted:

And what's with SC and having your character randomly die while doing nothing? It seems like you'd have to try really hard to be bad at programming to make that happen in your game.

"A 1000 ways to die on Daymar"

Ramps
Doors
Standing still
Running
Getting out of your chair
Slow walking
Cronenberging
Being shot

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

"A 1000 ways to die on Daymar"

Ramps
Doors
Standing still
Running
Getting out of your chair
Slow walking
Cronenberging
Being shot

My god man, you forgot about worms. And that is no joke.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AP posted:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Go to Levski
2 Take Off Space Suit (Mobi Says Atmosphere is Breathable)
3 Enter Any Elevator (Atmosphere Breathable When Elevator is Still
4 Turn On Elevator (Suddenly Character Starts Suffocating and Mobi Says There is No Atmosphere)
5 Character Should Die of Suffocation After 2-3 Elevator Trips

The Levski elevator teleports. They dotted hangars all over the landscape at Levski and I guess even the CIG programmers didn't care to fidelitously build elevators that actually travelled from one point to the other, so they just made them closed teleport boxes. Of course they forgot that you can see waypoints and your ship indicator at all times, so it's really noticeable when the elevator teleports outside. I noticed this during a recent adventure but didn't write it up because honestly it wasn't even in the top 20 garbage things in the game that day.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

My god man, you forgot about worms. And that is no joke.

I also forgot about Dre.

Seriously, in those videos you see the BPM meter topping out at 175. That's usually the top limit that you subtract your age from to find your safe peak BPM. Fitter, tighter goons can correct this for me, but that's still a loving stupid limitation that seeks to ape the ARMA stances.

In ARMA, you have standing, crouching and prone. For standing and crouching, you also weapon ready and aimed states that also effect your stamina, so ARMA penalises you for running with a ready weapon more than running with your weapon down.

Now, this suits the ARMA style of play because a couple of hits will usually put you down, so you use concealment and cover to advance, observe, orient and decide you plan of attack, or in my case you watch everyone else hit the dirt and start bleeding all over them.

They're attempting to push the 'fidelity' of 30 minutes of movement and two minutes of shooting into a twitch model that attempts to have engaged mechanisms from a simulation that encourages economy of movement.

Edit: http://www.pcgamer.com/us-lawmaker-who-called-out-star-wars-battlefront-2-lays-out-plans-for-anti-loot-box-law/
Loot box laws open a gateway to further examination of money in games.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 6, 2017

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

D_Smart posted:

I have no doubt that CryTek is going to sue them at some point. But I can't say more about that atm.

Star Citizen suddenly became a graveyard Race between CIG and Crytek :laffo:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hav posted:

Now, this suits the ARMA style of play because a couple of hits will usually put you down, so you use concealment and cover to advance, observe, orient and decide you plan of attack, or in my case you watch everyone else hit the dirt and start bleeding all over them.

I just want to express my appreciation of this sentence.

So in addition to ships but no flight model, we have shooting mechanics with no cohesive design. Seemingly because the person designing doesn't understand shooting.

The next time someone argues about release dates, I'm changing the argument to design decisions rolling my eyes and walking away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PederP posted:

As interesting anecdote the AwareLock of .NET until very recently had this in it during spin before yielding:

code:
while (i < 20000*g_SystemInfo.dwNumberOfProcessors);
I had some interesting times chasing 100% cpu usage on servers with 64 cores caused by these and the fricking shared lock .NET has on the global timer queue (the non-lovely timers, we weren't that dumb). It's the same reason MS had a warning against using their own Outlook server software on servers with too many cores. Spin locks are hard to get right, and even MS with their hordes of architects and engineers can get it wrong. You should not sprinkle usage of those all over your codebase, even if your implementation is good. (.NET lock keyword uses a monitor which uses an AwareLock which spins for those who might not know). Atomics and lockless designs ftw.

But I digress. CIG's spin lock is ugh in so many ways. I know it came with the engine, but that's not really an excuse to not fix it. Compare CIG's implementation to the .NET Core CLR SpinLock and SpinWait, to see just how simplistic an implementation it is:

https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/51e968b013e9b1582035f202e004ed024f747f4f/src/vm/spinlock.cpp
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/e75f090a379da4d1f6016b2c73922387cc84e420/src/mscorlib/shared/System/Threading/SpinWait.cs

...and they have over 400 of them in Star Citizen. :allears:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!