Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

D_Smart posted:

Yes, that's basically it.

As I've heard, they owe CryTek royalties for using their engine if/when the game ever releases. The Grey area is that by never releasing, they claim they never have to pay royalties. So part of the LY switch was not only to avoid paying CryTek royalties (which would be in the millions, given how much money they have raised), but also to dump the engine support on AMZ through their work with LY.

I already wrote a blog explaining why they didn't actually "switch" to LY fully, and that they're just pretending that they did. Switching from Google Compute to AWS was trivial, and they only did it because it's a requirement of using LY.

I have no doubt that CryTek is going to sue them at some point. But I can't say more about that atm.

How many federal buildings have you walked into in the last week? I mailed a bunch of xmas presents yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

[3.0 PTU] LEVSKI ELEVATORS SUFFOCATE PLAYER

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Go to Levski
2 Take Off Space Suit (Mobi Says Atmosphere is Breathable)
3 Enter Any Elevator (Atmosphere Breathable When Elevator is Still
4 Turn On Elevator (Suddenly Character Starts Suffocating and Mobi Says There is No Atmosphere)
5 Character Should Die of Suffocation After 2-3 Elevator Trips

ACTUAL RESULT
Character Suffocates when not wearing a space suit in a moving elevator, eventually dying around the third trip.

EXPECTED RESULT
Atmosphere should remain throughout the elevator trip, keeping players alive even without a space suit.

I don't fully understand game development, but doesn't this sort of imply that their room-to-room oxygen system is total bullshit or at the very least requires oxygen to be 'enabled' for every specific room in a way that they haven't successfully automated yet?

Cause fuckin lol if they were so desperate to stop Pgabz from running around in his space underpants that they failed to properly implement that system and now have to do manual checks of every room.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SCtrumpHaters posted:

How many federal buildings have you walked into in the last week? I mailed a bunch of xmas presents yesterday.

please dont advertise acts of terrorism, ty

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Combat Theory posted:

Star Citizen suddenly became a graveyard Race between CIG and Crytek :laffo:

Who knows, they may just do a settlement for a few thousand Dollars. It's not like CryTek doesn't need the money.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

The devil is in the details. As a programmer, my brain works differently.

Curious: would that be the AI side or Mathematical side of your brain?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

doesn't this sort of imply that their room-to-room oxygen system is total bullshit

Yes. But you didn't really expect them to have volumes sorted out when the things that define the volumes (doors/ramps) are that janky?

You can fire a railgun at your feet and walk away, but don't run too hard, citizen.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

please dont advertise acts of terrorism, ty

Happy Christmas, snowflake.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Sarsapariller posted:

The Levski elevator teleports. They dotted hangars all over the landscape at Levski and I guess even the CIG programmers didn't care to fidelitously build elevators that actually travelled from one point to the other, so they just made them closed teleport boxes. Of course they forgot that you can see waypoints and your ship indicator at all times, so it's really noticeable when the elevator teleports outside. I noticed this during a recent adventure but didn't write it up because honestly it wasn't even in the top 20 garbage things in the game that day.
Are you sure? Chris specifically said in one of the presentations that the elevators were all REAL and working like REAL elevators in REAL time in one of the REALLY long presentations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't fully understand game development, but doesn't this sort of imply that their room-to-room oxygen system is total bullshit or at the very least requires oxygen to be 'enabled' for every specific room in a way that they haven't successfully automated yet?

Cause fuckin lol if they were so desperate to stop Pgabz from running around in his space underpants that they failed to properly implement that system and now have to do manual checks of every room.

I have no clue, I'd assume it's likely they just enabled an oxygen check at various points and also a count down how much is in your air tank, though maybe they just shared part of the airlock code with the lifts.

Judging from the few people reporting bugs incorrectly on normal issue tracker, instead of the ptu one, everything is beyond hosed.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If CIG reads the thread and they are dumb as rocks, why wouldnt you say it was super illegal and then wait for the inevitable overreaction rather than spoiling the surprise?

CIG reads this thread.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG reads this thread.

yes you do

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG reads this thread.

can you send derek another c&d, toast

thank you

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Curious: would that be the AI side or Mathematical side of your brain?

As you should know, the proper physiological terminology is "NPC" and "AI-blade."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

Happy Christmas, snowflake.

I'm a winter solstice man.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ManofManyAliases posted:

CIG reads this thread.

It still seems weird that someone would pay 10 bucks to post ONLY about star citizen here.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AP posted:

I have no clue, I'd assume it's likely they just enabled an oxygen check at various points and also a count down how much is in your air tank, though maybe they just shared part of the airlock code with the lifts.

Judging from the few people reporting bugs incorrectly on normal issue tracker, instead of the ptu one, everything is beyond hosed.

Whatever the cause is, the result is loving delicious.

The most lethal things in this game are ramps, elevators, and doors lmao

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Beet Wagon posted:

Chris promised "more lethal FPS gameplay than CoD." He actually kept a promise.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm a winter solstice man.

Happy Saturnalia, snowflake.

Beet Wagon posted:

_Elevators_. Forgot those too.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
If they release this poo poo show to everyone later this month, the issue council is going to melt down.

Yet the longer it goes without them releasing it, the more obvious it is that you get access to the latest build only if you are paying at least $10 a month, no matter what other crazy amount you have spent in the past.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I hear the decks of moving chariots are no joke either...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

There must be fifty ways to slay your spaceman.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sickening posted:

It still seems weird that someone would pay 10 bucks to post ONLY about star citizen here.

I'll be honest with you: I hadn't really though about SA much since EVE, and never felt compelled to "join the conversation" until SC (being that I'm an uber backer and all that). I have other, more regional forums I visit for my hobbies in shooting, fishing, martial arts, etc.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AP posted:

If they release this poo poo show to everyone later this month, the issue council is going to melt down.

Yet the longer it goes without them releasing it, the more obvious it is that you get access to the latest build only if you are paying at least $10 a month, no matter what other crazy amount you have spent in the past.

The best part is they basically go into shutdown mode between xmas and New Years.

Some how I should be able to launch a space torpedo into the side of some complex causing oxygen and argon to escape.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Grappling?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
11:15 CR: "It will never be finished, let me put it that way."

Not really fair when Chris starts calling it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

thatguy posted:

Grappling?

He mispelled 'Marital arts'. He's a great listener.

Virtual Captain posted:

11:15 CR: "It will never be finished, let me put it that way."

Not really fair when Chris starts calling it.

Literally lifting poo poo from the thread now.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

thatguy posted:

There must be fifty ways to slay your spaceman.

Chris must've watched someone play Dark Souls recently.

AP posted:

I've actually been tempted a couple times (while in the depths of a bourbon bottle) to chuck them :10bux: so I could get in on the hot bug-on-bug-on-bug action, but every time I stand on the brink of that abyss I end up walking away. I really hope they release it to regular backers soon, because as soon as they do the wheels are going to loving come off. I can't wait to watch Polygon try and spin this into "No actually it's good" lol

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Calling it now: People start asking how much longer 3.0 will be subscriber only on June 18th.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Best experience I ever had with a game was when I taped down a key and ignored it for two hours

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

compelling gameplay

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Has he tried No Man's Sky? I ran out of Plutonium once and had to hike a good 8km in the dark with hostile crab things trying to eat me over terrain that wouldn't look remiss in one of those chinese water colors of something called a 'Gorge'*.

It's also released and cheaper, although you have to build your own bases.

* Actually pretty immersive, but an intense ballache when it happened.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

thatguy posted:

Grappling?

Like most Citizens, grappling at straws.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"The best part of Star Citizen is the worst part of Kerbal Space Program"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

Happy Saturnalia, snowflake.

Happy Kwanzah, P.Bear

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7hzatw/i_did_it/

:smith:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

jfc

To think he pays for this privilege.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

"The best part of Star Citizen is the worst part of Kerbal Space Program"

SC is a lot like when they first added the Mun in KSP back in (0.8?). We all made stupid rockets with the then limited sets of parts (no landing gear back then even) and kinda aimed at the mun and hoped (back before maneuver nodes)
Hitting the mun was tricky, hitting the Mun and surviving was a true achievement, as for getting the poor kerbal back home, well...

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Sarsapariller posted:

The Levski elevator teleports. They dotted hangars all over the landscape at Levski and I guess even the CIG programmers didn't care to fidelitously build elevators that actually travelled from one point to the other, so they just made them closed teleport boxes. Of course they forgot that you can see waypoints and your ship indicator at all times, so it's really noticeable when the elevator teleports outside. I noticed this during a recent adventure but didn't write it up because honestly it wasn't even in the top 20 garbage things in the game that day.

Rename them to televators; problem solved, close the ticket. Next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

See? Look how happy these customers are.

This is why crowing about bugs, features, and "fake" funding trackers make you all look like complete retards.