Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamented Death posted:

Nah, they can get any type of blade. I've got Boreas (a healer) and Electra (a tank) on Rex, and Nia has Dagas and Azami (both DPS), and was the one to originally get Electra.

I 'm still only on chapter 3 and found having Boreas on Rex really useful since Nia has Finch. Whenever she's not doing her job as healer I just switch to the fat blob and save the day.
Seems the only reason to keep every drivers blade the same role is to eliminate micromanagement during battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lodin posted:

I 'm still only on chapter 3 and found having Boreas on Rex really useful since Nia has Finch. Whenever she's not doing her job as healer I just switch to the fat blob and save the day.
Seems the only reason to keep every drivers blade the same role is to eliminate micromanagement during battle.

It also gives them significant stat buffs that makes them better at that role. And TNK Blades are worthless if you have another character also drawing aggro since so many of their abilities only work if they're being targetted.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

Calaveron posted:

Enemies get orbs whenever they're hit with a lvl IV special right, or are there other ways to get them

Quoting because I also want to know. Some times I do chain attacks but there are no orbs to burst.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ghostinmyshell posted:

drat I just did the great purge too :(
Are you not filling up on trash blades to fill every slot on merc missions? That gives a pretty noticeable boost to Loyalty every time (and doesn't have any cost and can even make them go faster if the blade has the optional mission skills)

e: I think orbs are only from level 3 chain combos? Don't know if a naked level 4 also makes one.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you completed the Merc Mission first?

It doesn't allow you to complete it, it has a ??:??:?? time and goes on indefinitely. You are supposed to accept it, then go to a place but the place won't activate for me. I've gathered that it's because Morag left my party temporarily, and she was in the cut-scene for the earlier stage of the quest. The game should refuse to let you take the merc mission in this case instead of bug itself out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tipme posted:

Quoting because I also want to know. Some times I do chain attacks but there are no orbs to burst.

An orb appears when you complete a full three-stage elemental combo, in the colour of the third-stage element.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
End of chapter 4: Am I actually supposed to fight these idiots or just physically drag them under the crane? The cutscene didn't make it clear and frankly they're kicking my rear end.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

End of chapter 4: Am I actually supposed to fight these idiots or just physically drag them under the crane? The cutscene didn't make it clear and frankly they're kicking my rear end.

Fight until they run out of hp. Craft Break, Topple, and Launch resist cores and spread them around your blades and drivers

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You have to fight and beat them.

It took me three or four tries. What ultimately worked wast switching in the new tank, focusing on the female as she does more damage, and having Rex hang back for a few seconds right at the start because whatever the gently caress she does that knocks you in the air just automatically kills you apparently.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fight them.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You gotta fight them normally, I focused on the non-tank one first but you gotta watch out because the tank has a taunt that'll screw your targeting up

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calaveron posted:

Fight until they run out of hp. Craft Break, Topple, and Launch resist cores and spread them around your blades and drivers
Yeah, getting launched is bad, but it's mostly the Taunt + flaming circle on the ground combination that's leading my idiot AI to run straight into it :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
If you're having a bunch of issues just cash in some of your sidequest exp for levels at an inn.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh yeah also give your main dude a taunt resist accessory and focus on the lady and also font stand on fire or you're gonna have a bad time

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zore posted:

If you're having a bunch of issues just cash in some of your sidequest exp for levels at an inn.

This is really good advice for this fight because the new character that you get has something like 4 or 5 levels banked

If you've Tiger! Tiger! a lot Tora might still be better though

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 6, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lakbay posted:

This is really good advice for this fight because the new character that you get has something like 4 or 5 levels banked

Also not a bad idea to run off and do some combat until you can get the hang of them and their gimmicks

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calaveron posted:

Oh yeah also give your main dude a taunt resist accessory and focus on the lady and also font stand on fire or you're gonna have a bad time
lol if you think I'm the one standing in fire, but cashing out Tora's dumb rear end for new tank might fix it

Lakbay posted:

If you've Tiger! Tiger! a lot Tora might still be better though
man I have tigered almost the minimum amount to tiger (got Poppi like 300 capacity and one of those 1k ether cost slots to give her the front attack buff and that's it) and I am so stoked to tiger NO MORE (and to have a good home for Glorious Godfrey)

edit: oh man completely unrelated how do I get to the Fief of Forgetfulness? I want to get that blade from the sidequest before I go back to the fight.

edit 2: the guaranteed Legendary Core Crystal from the area at the end of act 3 gave me a loving 3* common even though it had two rares and one common showing as the "option" popups beforehand :(

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 6, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lol if you think I'm the one standing in fire, but cashing out Tora's dumb rear end for new tank might fix it

man I have tigered almost the minimum amount to tiger (got Poppi like 300 capacity and one of those 1k ether cost slots to give her the front attack buff and that's it) and I am so stoked to tiger NO MORE (and to have a good home for Glorious Godfrey)

edit: oh man completely unrelated how do I get to the Fief of Forgetfulness? I want to get that blade from the sidequest before I go back to the fight.

edit 2: the guaranteed Legendary Core Crystal from the area at the end of act 3 gave me a loving 3* common even though it had two rares and one common showing as the "option" popups beforehand :(

Note Tora is a way better straight tank than party member 4. They have more of a Dunban-style retaliation thing going on and don't have the same HP pool or defenses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The gacha game for rare cores is real, real dumb and combined with needing specific field skills, and lots of those field skills, is not good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Found a hidden room in tiger tiger that had this dude in it. His rain of ether crystals was nuts and boosted me to like 500-600 by himself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Found a hidden room in tiger tiger that had this dude in it. His rain of ether crystals was nuts and boosted me to like 500-600 by himself.

Deets

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Saw two blocks on the left side of the screen that seemed kind of randomly placed.

[Block]
Open space
[Block]

Swam into the open space and teleported there. If you see ether crystals like that at the edge of the screen you can do it there as I just found out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Note Tora is a way better straight tank than party member 4. They have more of a Dunban-style retaliation thing going on and don't have the same HP pool or defenses.
I noticed that from their starting weapon having 47% evasion on it before I'd even taken them into battle :shobon:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
My copy is in the mail. People who have finished the game, about how many overdrive things are there?

Are blades bound to a character when you choose one to open or do you pick the owner after you pop them open?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Do unique monsters drop unique loot of any sort? I tried fighting that unique driver guy on the way to the old factory, but between him being on a catwalk and all my party members committing suicide, him being really, really tough for his level, and a wandering level 80+ goddamn bird, I gave up....and the dumb bastard ran off the catwalk and died. So if he dropped a unique accessory, I missed it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Schubalts posted:

My copy is in the mail. People who have finished the game, about how many overdrive things are there?

Are blades bound to a character when you choose one to open or do you pick the owner after you pop them open?

Pretty rare overall.

Blades are bound to the person who opens them.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Are you not filling up on trash blades to fill every slot on merc missions? That gives a pretty noticeable boost to Loyalty every time (and doesn't have any cost and can even make them go faster if the blade has the optional mission skills)

e: I think orbs are only from level 3 chain combos? Don't know if a naked level 4 also makes one.

I deleted all my extra non-rare blades like 30 min before I found out about merc missions because I thought I was about to hit a limit :(

I’ve got like 20+ crystals saved up for the char at the beginning of Ch 5 though, who I should be getting tonight

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does anyone know how to unlock all four bonuses in Tiger! Tiger! ?

One is no-hit which is just points so that only matters for Poppi affinity and one is exiting the stage with all treasure which is a bug lump of ether crystals. What are the other two?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you see a lobster alcove with two ether crystals below it against the side of the screen then swim off screen where they are to get in. This is on stage two, dunno about later levels.

Barudak posted:

Does anyone know how to unlock all four bonuses in Tiger! Tiger! ?

One is no-hit which is just points so that only matters for Poppi affinity and one is exiting the stage with all treasure which is a bug lump of ether crystals. What are the other two?

No hit, all crystals (bonus stage doesn't count towards this), all treasures, all medals.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whats the reward for all crystals. I tried doing it but crystal placement is finicky

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How important is auto-attack for a tank? I got this chip that significantly increases auto-attack and wasn't sure which character to put it on. For my DPS blades, it significantly decreased crit chance (from like 25% to 16%) while more than doubling auto-attack, and for Tora it reduced block from 37% to 32% while doubling his auto-attack. I wasn't sure if the 5% change in block chance was worth doubling his auto-attack damage. The only option without much of a trade-off was Dromarch, who more than doubled his auto-attack while only lowering crit chance from 5% to 4%, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea to increase the healer's damage that much.

I'm leaning towards Tora, with the idea that the increased damage and aggro from doubling his auto-attack will make up for the 5% decrease in block chance.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A friendly reminder do get your vendor deeds when you can. I just got one that can let me hold 15 Blade booster items along with things like 5% increased run speed, 10% less terrain damage, etc.

DO THEM.

How do you know when you can get them? I've tried buying one of each item from shops (aside from the one with the side quest near the beginning) and only one gave me a deed. I'm guessing it's related to whether they're selling their full stock due to development level, but how do you know if that's the case?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ytlaya posted:

How do you know when you can get them? I've tried buying one of each item from shops (aside from the one with the side quest near the beginning) and only one gave me a deed. I'm guessing it's related to whether they're selling their full stock due to development level, but how do you know if that's the case?
You basically don't. There are three that I know of you can get on the "first" visit (that means not locked behind development level and not locked behind the Mercenary sidequest stuff that's the last option in the pause menu you get in mid chapter 3) - Fishy Fishy in Argentum near the inn and Knick-Knack in Fonsa Myma are the other two that aren't the quest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You sadly dont. The best way seems to just be “progress the story till you can buy gold canisters, salvage with those until you hit 5 star development, buy all the stuff. “ although apparently some stores also require merc quests to unlock stuff?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

You sadly dont. The best way seems to just be “progress the story till you can buy gold canisters, salvage with those until you hit 5 star development, buy all the stuff. “ although apparently some stores also require merc quests to unlock stuff?

Most.

Pink merc missions usually unlock stuff in stores (or are blade sidequests). More open up the higher the dev level is.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Pink merc missions usually unlock stuff in stores (or are blade sidequests). More open up the higher the dev level is.
Godfrey has nine of the fuckers and I can't stop laughing at his existence. He's great.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

How important is auto-attack for a tank? I got this chip that significantly increases auto-attack and wasn't sure which character to put it on. For my DPS blades, it significantly decreased crit chance (from like 25% to 16%) while more than doubling auto-attack, and for Tora it reduced block from 37% to 32% while doubling his auto-attack.

Tora might benefit more from chips that benefit his teammates though, or something that increases qualities for Poppi. Tora's main offense is through whatever combos he can start so maybe give the autoattack to someone else, since whenever you or the AI plays Tora, the focus is on his aggro Art and his shield Art. When you draw aggro and shield, you ain't doing autoattacks.

Right now I have a chip like this on Nia since she attacks very fast and I constantly cancel them into more Arts, so consider giving that chip to her or someone with a quicker attack that depends on DPS.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Theres a trio boss fight in ch6 right after you get the omega fetter that I cant figure out. Lots of big aoe damage and one of them has a huge aoe heal. It sucks that they kept the "revives use the chain gauge" mechanic from the first game, because it means I can't risk using chain attacks at all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ugh I'm only missing one Confusion Ivy at this point so I was thinking of just finding it but after another 20 minutes of walking around it just. Won't. Spawn.

I feel like I'm harping a lot on a game I don't actually dislike but these sidequests really just do not feel good to do. I wanted to just clear out of the ones I actually started and then focus on the story but drat that last fuckin' Confusion Ivy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Ugh I'm only missing one Confusion Ivy at this point so I was thinking of just finding it but after another 20 minutes of walking around it just. Won't. Spawn.

I feel like I'm harping a lot on a game I don't actually dislike but these sidequests really just do not feel good to do. I wanted to just clear out of the ones I actually started and then focus on the story but drat that last fuckin' Confusion Ivy.

I got tired of that and teleported to the Waytree then ran to a point I knew could spawn ivy nearby and just repeatedly did that. Teleporting respawns collection points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The only disappointment so far is that there’s no Collectopaedia in this game, because my brain is broken.