Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I liked the earlier iterations better but I have to finish it up in a matter of a couple days. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Working with lots of colour lately. Here's an album of some things I've done/am doing.

https://imgur.com/a/jtszs

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Smoothing is like inking a graphite drawing: all your crimes are revealed

I'm uncertain about what to do with the background. I had been planning on smoothing, but keeping to give some grounding since the head doesn't go all the way back, but I'm concerned that the figure gets lost in it? But maybe that'll be mitigated when it's fully smooth.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Been a while since I posted something, but my wedding got in the way of painting. I cranked out a couple figure drawings over the last few months, and dabbled in some acrylic painting, but this is my triumphant return to watercolor:

A Vietnamese chicken.

Voight-Kampff
Apr 22, 2013

Let's talk pubes, people.
Apart from one post on 'proud of' i've kept my fanatical devotion to struggling with a paint brush pretty quiet on SA. I need to overcome my fear/cowardice, so here is my latest effort...

here's a time-lapse of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7BGuzLAzg

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I like it :)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Is this traditional art or not? I'm not sure because I used a computer printer to make stencils but I also used a hand saw? Please don't ban me

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's a pretty nice butterfly there, I'd say it's traditional art since you made it out of wood.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Thank you! It's literally the first piece of visual art I've made since high school photography class 12 years ago so I'm pretty proud of it

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Here ees a painting i did

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Voight-Kampff posted:

Apart from one post on 'proud of' i've kept my fanatical devotion to struggling with a paint brush pretty quiet on SA. I need to overcome my fear/cowardice, so here is my latest effort...

here's a time-lapse of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7BGuzLAzg

Inspiring.

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
I started watercoloring a bit ago:

The last two being sort of outtakes

Skoora fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 23, 2017

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

outtake shmouttake, this one is really good!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Skoora posted:

I like these two quite a bit.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Skoora posted:

The last two being sort of outtakes

These loving own. Congratulations on Good Art.
This is a sketch for a painting I'm gonna work on today/tomorrow:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

2017 Krampus. I am so original.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Nice Krampus tho.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

10 min portrait.

Also - calling this guy done.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 30, 2017

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Decided to use an old phone book instead of buying new sketchbooks. The paper is terrible for pencils but takes pen and charcoal well.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

A couple things: as you probably know, newsprint isn’t archival so your pages are going to turn yellow, scan anything you care about now if you want to preserve it.

The second thing is, get some clear gesso! It gives great tooth to any surface. I wouldn’t use markers on the surface because it’ll chew up the felt tips instantly, but clear gesso on random paper makes a great ground for watercolor, pencil, pastel and ink.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Neon Noodle posted:

A couple things: as you probably know, newsprint isn’t archival so your pages are going to turn yellow, scan anything you care about now if you want to preserve it.

The second thing is, get some clear gesso! It gives great tooth to any surface. I wouldn’t use markers on the surface because it’ll chew up the felt tips instantly, but clear gesso on random paper makes a great ground for watercolor, pencil, pastel and ink.

I didn't know any of that, and have never used gesso! Thanks for the advice.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Animated progression of mural.

Some of the earlier charcoal stages actually appeal to me more.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

sigma 6 posted:

Animated progression of mural.

Some of the earlier charcoal stages actually appeal to me more.

for a second my mind registered it as the cursed ted cruz butter image

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks guys, glad you like them. I just redid that Midnight Queen one

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Skoora posted:

Thanks guys, glad you like them. I just redid that Midnight Queen one

the title looks way fuckin radder but in this one the figure doesn't really read as a human shape to me

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I dig your watercolors but the most recent one, the first thing I thought of was a male dog with a clipped tail from behind. Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, that's honestly what I saw. The text is rad by the way.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah. That's pretty much what I saw too.

Tried to put laquer over my mural and it dissolved the marker I used smearing everything. How does that happen? Water based vs. Oil based markers? Dammit.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Neon Noodle posted:

Nice Krampus tho.

the paint really deepened this!

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Working on getting some art done every day. First sketch of the year!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Chef Bourgeoisie: Emphasize the top of the eyes over the bottom. Light is typically from above so the shadow is under the upper lid more than the bottom.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I like naming my work like Prince, so this one is called Mortmuration

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
thread i'm looking to get some goache, what are your favorite colors of it. I'm looking to get a good rich purple and a warm, orangey yellow. Also any offbeat greens or primaries or whatever else you'd recommend

Skoora
Sep 29, 2009
Ha ha, fair enough. She would definitely read better if she were smaller in the frame. I could also use a good reference for how silky material hangs on a body like that. That one is probably something like the eighth or ninth one of these I've done. This being only other one I've liked

I really just need to scan these, my phone is poo poo.
"Midnight Queen" is kind of a reference to this btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkF-vxOnk0

Here's another one I made a couple days ago. I'm not sure I like the bats.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

FunkyAl posted:

thread i'm looking to get some goache, what are your favorite colors of it. I'm looking to get a good rich purple and a warm, orangey yellow. Also any offbeat greens or primaries or whatever else you'd recommend

Hi it’s me again your gouache friend. Here are the colors I use fwiw:

Cool red: Quinacridone magenta or Alizarin crimson
Warm red: Cadmium red deep
Cool yellow: lemon yellow
Warm yellow: cadmium yellow light
Cool blue: Phthalo blue or cerulean blue
Warm blue: Ultramarine
Black
White
Burnt sienna
Burnt umber

Cadmium yellow and red make the most orangey orange. Rich purple from ultramarine and quin. magenta/alizarin. Look up Stephen Quiller’s books on water media and color mixing and you’ll learn almost everything you need to know about mixing the hue you want. In watercolors I also have some secondary colors like sap green and cadmium orange and quin. violet, but watercolor and gouache have different properties so getting an intense watercolor purple requires a dedicated paint in my experience.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Skoora posted:

Ha ha, fair enough. She would definitely read better if she were smaller in the frame. I could also use a good reference for how silky material hangs on a body like that. That one is probably something like the eighth or ninth one of these I've done. This being only other one I've liked

I really just need to scan these, my phone is poo poo.
"Midnight Queen" is kind of a reference to this btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkF-vxOnk0

I like this one better for sure. The text is just as rad and the figure is more clear

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

I like naming my work like Prince, so this one is called Mortmuration

So good. Love the style.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Neon Noodle posted:

Hi it’s me again your gouache friend. Here are the colors I use fwiw:

Cool red: Quinacridone magenta or Alizarin crimson
Warm red: Cadmium red deep
Cool yellow: lemon yellow
Warm yellow: cadmium yellow light
Cool blue: Phthalo blue or cerulean blue
Warm blue: Ultramarine
Black
White
Burnt sienna
Burnt umber

Cadmium yellow and red make the most orangey orange. Rich purple from ultramarine and quin. magenta/alizarin. Look up Stephen Quiller’s books on water media and color mixing and you’ll learn almost everything you need to know about mixing the hue you want. In watercolors I also have some secondary colors like sap green and cadmium orange and quin. violet, but watercolor and gouache have different properties so getting an intense watercolor purple requires a dedicated paint in my experience.

Thank you noodle! I'm looking forward to reading the Quiller books, I could use some G.D. academic color theory

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is it a bad idea for me to follow along in gouache a (video) class taught in oil? As far as I know, the class is about color, not oil technique.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Gouache and oil are surprisingly interchangeable for a lot of purposes. Go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inked a sketch that a married couple made in my sketchbook. Liked it enough to make it a collab.

20 min portrait with mechanical pencil.

This is what happens when doodling during Ancient Aliens... or something.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 20, 2018