Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

iphone decision paralysis is real. there's bunch of phones i can buy and all of them work, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Matt Zerella posted:

i dont give a poo poo about atmos, but i do care about dts-hd/truehd which it cant bitstream for some dumb reason.

dont worry unlike the apple tv your mom can handle several concurrent bitstreams

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

iphone decision paralysis is real. there's bunch of phones i can buy and all of them work, smh

get the 8 because it’s the last good phone for a while

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
recently handed out a new iPhone 6S to someone at work. he opted for the 6S since at that price point he could get the 128GB model and fit under the $100 limit so he didn't have to pay anything.

his previous model was a 32GB 6S so p. sure his needs are being fully suited. feels good

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

get the 8 because it’s the last good phone for a while

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

recently handed out a new iPhone 6S to someone at work. he opted for the 6S since at that price point he could get the 128GB model and fit under the $100 limit so he didn't have to pay anything.

his previous model was a 32GB 6S so p. sure his needs are being fully suited. feels good

i don't play games on my phone so my 6s+ is still perfectly adequate and i don't plan on updating until they work out the kinks in the new features in the x and support the 600mhz lte bands being deployed now. the only thing i'm really envious of in the newer phones is the better camera

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i bought a clearance ipad air 2 last month at the univ book store for $200. its very needs suiting for the prce

coke
Jul 12, 2009
lol

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
???

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

thank god apple spent 10 years refining its phone LCD panels so that it could throw them away in favor of good ole limited lifespan oleds

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ahhh I'm looking at burn-in.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

oh for gently caress's sake :psyduck:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that's really weird, surely apples oled is sourced from samsung, where googles problematic panels were lg. there has been a lot of oled phones over the past few years, and burn-in has not been that much of an issue, then suddenly in 2017 both lg and samsung ships premium panels that burn in within weeks?

both aggressively upping max brightness for hdr?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
are we sure they didn't just put a crappy transparency effect over the popup by accident? seems really early in the product lifecycle for burnin

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it doesn't even make sense for burn-in. oled burn-in occurs due to uneven wear on the pixels in different areas. the black areas around the clock icon wouldn't wear since they wouldn't be turned on at all. similarly, the hand on the clock wouldn't burn unless it never moved from that one time, which isn't the case since it's the one icon they let dynamically change for whatever reason.

in short: it's fake

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
good news ios 11 thinks there are 13 months in a year

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

exploded mummy posted:

good news ios 11 thinks there are 13 months in a year

The Greek financial calendar.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

it doesn't even make sense for burn-in. oled burn-in occurs due to uneven wear on the pixels in different areas. the black areas around the clock icon wouldn't wear since they wouldn't be turned on at all. similarly, the hand on the clock wouldn't burn unless it never moved from that one time, which isn't the case since it's the one icon they let dynamically change for whatever reason.

in short: it's fake

oh yeah, this is entirely true, burn-in should appear inverted compared to that. makes far more sense, samsung has been doing good oled screens for a good while, it would be very strange is they hosed up that badly suddenly at this point

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

I recently upgraded my home theater and went for stereo instea dof surround and it's great

good decision. I have a 3.1 setup because that's easy enough for an idiot to do properly. it takes way too much space to do surround the right way and not worth doing it poorly

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Counterpoint: rear channels own and it wasn't that hard to pull a couple cables through the crawlspace

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’ll put something up your crawl space

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I hope its insulation and a ground wire down to the service panel because I've been lazy as poo poo about that

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Counterpoint: rear channels own and it wasn't that hard to pull a couple cables through the crawlspace

you can own my rear channel if you'll pull my cable, but fyi, it's definitely going to be hard

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the amazon app for apple tv is out and they've managed to faithfully maintain the awful user interface of their other platform apps, like when you press the back button from a show page you can land literally anywhere on the huge main page and it might even reset the scrolling on the category you were just looking at

the good news is that they use apple's transport controls instead of the super awesome fast forward/rewind speeds increment by powers of two thing they do other places

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh yeah, this is entirely true, burn-in should appear inverted compared to that. makes far more sense, samsung has been doing good oled screens for a good while, it would be very strange is they hosed up that badly suddenly at this point

samsung has been making phones and batteries for a decade it'd be strange if they made a bad one that caught fire with normal use especially in their flagship model!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

C.H.O.M.E posted:

samsung has been making phones and batteries for a decade it'd be strange if they made a bad one that caught fire with normal use especially in their flagship model!

one p. funny thing about that particular debacle is that apple used samsung batteries in most of their stuff until the patent spat started (same timeframe to when apple moved soc manufacturing to tsmc), rather dodged a bullet by luck there

still though, i don't think there is a better option on oled, and in fact apple would likely have gone to just about anyone else over samsung if there were

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
perhaps the better option was not using oled?

makes u think

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
is buying refurbished macs worth it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
compared to what?

i mean, they get a year apple care anyway, so probably, yes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Significant Ant posted:

depends on the setup and release date. there's a sweet spot

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Significant Ant posted:

yes, they are basically new computers on sale

new models are on there after like 5 months

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

one p. funny thing about that particular debacle is that apple used samsung batteries in most of their stuff until the patent spat started (same timeframe to when apple moved soc manufacturing to tsmc), rather dodged a bullet by luck there

still though, i don't think there is a better option on oled, and in fact apple would likely have gone to just about anyone else over samsung if there were

nah, samsung's batteries exploded because they made the hole in the phone too small for the batteries (or the batteries too big for the hole, whatever). since apple would spec the batteries this wouldn't happen since apple would reject any that were out of spec.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

apple used samsung batteries in most of their stuff

nah

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

too big for the hole

text me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amazon-prime-video/id545519333?mt=8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
more interested in prime beef tbh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao so the wifi button now acts as you’d think rather than as it did?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it works the same way they just added a samsung-esque giant modal popup the first time you press it

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

bought an iPhone X we’re in the future man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola