Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the idea of poppi's customization system but it's annoying that you need blueprints on top of Tiger Tiger points to actually do anything useful. I wanna change her core but I've never found a single one of the uhh technical manuals or whatever they're called and I'm on chapter 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Here have another thing I'm stealing from reddit - deed spreadsheet (yes, this contains spoilers you dummies)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kenh9hSQn9T7kNExoYxR2WkuqqT-EZjUvdLalB3rDWc/edit#gid=1713298733

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(that means not locked behind development level and not locked behind the Mercenary sidequest stuff that's the last option in the pause menu you get in mid chapter 3)

End of chapter 3/start of chapter 4

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Aphrodite posted:

I got tired of that and teleported to the Waytree then ran to a point I knew could spawn ivy nearby and just repeatedly did that. Teleporting respawns collection points.
Faster to teleport to the Lumber Camp and use the point on the stack of logs right by the NPC there.

also what the hell I need Chroma Katanas for so many merc missions are there just like, no common blades with them

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Faster to teleport to the Lumber Camp and use the point on the stack of logs right by the NPC there.

also what the hell I need Chroma Katanas for so many merc missions are there just like, no common blades with them

Yeah? I have like three regular blades with katanas
Never found a lady blitzball blade though

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calaveron posted:

Yeah? I have like three regular blades with katanas
Never found a lady blitzball blade though
I'm really hoping they don't enforce needing specific combos because that means at some point I will have to get Blitzball Dog and that is just not possible. dog 2rare :(

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It seems like beasts == chakrams, has anyone ever experienced different? Even Dromarch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Caphi posted:

It seems like beasts == chakrams, has anyone ever experienced different? Even Dromarch.

Nope. I even tried using Finch on a merc mission and it doesn’t count. She’s still considered humanoid.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I thought she's a hammer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm really hoping they don't enforce needing specific combos because that means at some point I will have to get Blitzball Dog and that is just not possible. dog 2rare :(

Dogs are limited to rings, no other weapons.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Caphi posted:

I thought she's a hammer.

There's merc missions that specify beasts/animals and despite being more bird than anything Finch is still considered a humanoid

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

tl;dr - Maxing out any blade's affinity chart gives you an item that can add a big chunk of WP to any weapon type.

Maxing an affinity chart also gives the bonded character level ups in their Truth/Comp/Just/Brave levels as well. The best way I found to do this is with rarity 1 blades with as few affinity blocks as possible.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 6, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SlayVus posted:

Maxing an affinity chart also gives the bonded character level ups in their Truth/Comp/Just/Brave levels as well. The best way I found to do this is with rarity 1 blades with as few affinity blocks as possible.

Does maxing out those levels actually do anything other than skew the odds of getting certain elements from blade bonding though?

Either way, using merc missions to fill out a bunch of level one blade orbs and then pulling them into my party to finish them off seems like something I will be doing to get my WP grind on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Still don't know what's the significance of a character gaining an idea level. Does that affect the element of blades they can find?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IcePhoenix posted:

Does maxing out those levels actually do anything other than skew the odds of getting certain elements from blade bonding though?

Either way, using merc missions to fill out a bunch of level one blade orbs and then pulling them into my party to finish them off seems like something I will be doing to get my WP grind on.

The higher the idea level the more likely common Blades are to come with better abilities and higher stars.

I've started seeing 3 star commons pop up consistently in chapter 6, and I imagine I'll start seeing some 4 stars and potentially 5 stars soon. And 3 Stars are already starting to look comparable to some of the worse rare blades.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

Still don't know what's the significance of a character gaining an idea level. Does that affect the element of blades they can find?

If you look at the core on the blade bonding screen when you're highlighting a booster, it will have two elements circling the core. These are A: opposing elements, B: more likely to be the element you roll when that stat is higher.

Zore posted:

The higher the idea level the more likely common Blades are to come with better abilities and higher stars.

I've started seeing 3 star commons pop up consistently in chapter 6, and I imagine I'll start seeing some 4 stars and potentially 5 stars soon. And 3 Stars are already starting to look comparable to some of the worse rare blades.

That's excellent, as it's been theorized (though not proven) that higher level blades will give a bigger WP boost when you finish their affinity. Hopefully I have enough time to figure it out this weekend.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Am I crazy or is there no way to browse the map that's not the skip travel menu? It's not terribly inconvenient but sometimes you can't see a part of the map because you don't have a landmark there (or there just are no landmarks there)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

Am I crazy or is there no way to browse the map that's not the skip travel menu? It's not terribly inconvenient but sometimes you can't see a part of the map because you don't have a landmark there (or there just are no landmarks there)
Just walking through an area should give you a discovery to open up the map area. If not, you haven't been over there before. And yes, skip travel is the only way to view the map.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which Salvagepoint is the one with the spawn that is a guarantee rare and common crystal?

I would like to get more unique blades but I don't have a lot of cores so might as well grind a bit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/7hubro/even_easier_rare_core_farming_xenoblade/

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 6, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Which Salvagepoint is the one with the spawn that is a guarantee rare and common crystal?

I would like to get more unique blades but I don't have a lot of cores so might as well grind a bit

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

The salvage point right near where you first arrive in Mors Ardain has a high chance of pulling up Krabbles which always drop common cores and a rare drop of rare cores. You get guaranteed rare cores if you overkill them with a chain attack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Finished Chapter 3. Used 3 rare core crystals and got 2 more rare blades. Zenobia and... someone else whose name I forget. Both were on Nia and neither were a healer. I hope to god you can farm overdrives because I don't think I've pulled a rare on a job-relevant character yet. Though Adenine is alright on Rex.

Also that creepy bunny shiva blade only has an elemental mastery and nothing else. She'd better be an amazing healer if I transfer her to Nia because no extra passives is BS. Anyone able to confirm if moving her to Nia would be worth it considering how annoyingly rare the overdrives seem to be?

Tipme posted:

Quoting because I also want to know. Some times I do chain attacks but there are no orbs to burst.

You have to do a 1-2-3 combo. The game mentions this multiple times.

Level 4s just do more damage IIRC.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SlayVus posted:

Just walking through an area should give you a discovery to open up the map area. If not, you haven't been over there before. And yes, skip travel is the only way to view the map.

I'm specifically thinking of the top level of the trade guild. I can't view it on the map despite clearly being able to jump over there to check out the air flow (which i can't use yet. which is why i'd like to be able to check it on the map without going over there)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

If you look at the core on the blade bonding screen when you're highlighting a booster, it will have two elements circling the core. These are A: opposing elements, B: more likely to be the element you roll when that stat is higher.

That's excellent, as it's been theorized (though not proven) that higher level blades will give a bigger WP boost when you finish their affinity. Hopefully I have enough time to figure it out this weekend.

No yeah I get that but characters have innate idea levels too, does that make them more predisposed to those specific elements even without using boosters? Like say if Rex is lvl 4 in Fire/water idea and lvl 1 in Ice/Wind does that mean that even when using one ice/wind booster during bonding he's still more susceptible to getting a fire/water blade?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

No yeah I get that but characters have innate idea levels too, does that make them more predisposed to those specific elements even without using boosters? Like say if Rex is lvl 4 in Fire/water idea and lvl 1 in Ice/Wind does that mean that even when using one ice/wind booster during bonding he's still more susceptible to getting a fire/water blade?

Nobody knows for sure but that's the going theory, yeah.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there any way to influence the party AI? I had Nia open a blade up and it was Zenobia, an attacker. Which is cool, but now I get dangerously low in combat because her AI seems to switch to it randomly without any real regard to whats going on in combat. I know I can just not equip it on her but I wanna use my shiny new toy!!!

Wish you could swap who you're controlling mid combat tbh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a button to get the camera to zoom closer to the characters? It just zoomed out when roaming around and I can't figure out how to get it closer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zore posted:

The salvage point right near where you first arrive in Mors Ardain has a high chance of pulling up Krabbles which always drop common cores and a rare drop of rare cores. You get guaranteed rare cores if you overkill them with a chain attack.

Aren't chain attacks the one you use the plus button to proc?

When do you use them? I assumed after the three chain combo but that doesn't seem to work.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a button to get the camera to zoom closer to the characters? It just zoomed out when roaming around and I can't figure out how to get it closer.

I believe you hold L and use the left stick

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

L and the Right Stick. Thanks!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Schubalts posted:

My copy is in the mail. People who have finished the game, about how many overdrive things are there?

Are blades bound to a character when you choose one to open or do you pick the owner after you pop them open?

You see a lot of fretting in this thread over blades but it really isn't a big deal. You are guaranteed blades that basically flesh out your whole party. Most of concern is just OCD.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So can we talk about how good the soundtrack in this is? I kind of wanna buy this game just to hear all these songs while exploring the world. Greatmaw Rapids is probably my favorite so far, such a mysterious and tranquil song.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

So can we talk about how good the soundtrack in this is? I kind of wanna buy this game just to hear all these songs while exploring the world. Greatmaw Rapids is probably my favorite so far, such a mysterious and tranquil song.

Old Factory is straight up I wanna say Field of the Machina from xb1 and it's fantastic

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hand Row posted:

You see a lot of fretting in this thread over blades but it really isn't a big deal. You are guaranteed blades that basically flesh out your whole party. Most of concern is just OCD.

If you're implying collecting all the animes isn't the true goal of the game, I have some terrible news for you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hand Row posted:

Given there are some rather steep field skill requirements as the game progresses its not just OCD.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
There's already a good system for getting rare blades in the game that it even uses: side quests

Also the story presentation of core crystals is at odds with how the gacha works

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Saw two blocks on the left side of the screen that seemed kind of randomly placed.

[Block]
Open space
[Block]

Swam into the open space and teleported there. If you see ether crystals like that at the edge of the screen you can do it there as I just found out.

To clarify, there's a crab(?) inside the block right above the entrance

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So I accidentally found myself in the original thread for the first game.

Is the consensus still that it was one of the best JRPGs in recent memory? How do the sequels compare?

I'm basically looking to binge run a JRPG series and I'm caught between Persona, Xenoblade (and maybe Xenosaga although I have no idea if there are any tie ins or relation whatsoever to this franchise) or the last couple Final Fantasies that I've missed.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tosk posted:

Is the consensus still that it was one of the best JRPGs in recent memory? How do the sequels compare?

I'm basically looking to binge run a JRPG series and I'm caught between Persona, Xenoblade (and maybe Xenosaga although I have no idea if there are any tie ins or relation whatsoever to this franchise) or the last couple Final Fantasies that I've missed.

the original xenoblade was very well liked due to better than average characters and voice acting compared to the poo poo being released at the time, and also for a whole bunch of quality-of-life mandates like some quests resolving immediately after doing a thing without needing to go back to the quest giver, saving anywhere, an easy encyclopedia of things to do and what you collect, a fairly simple MMOlike combat system, Nopons, and a great soundtrack. It was more of an anomaly than anything because it came out for the Wii, exclusively in Europe/Japan, and was locked away from the Americas for years (unless you just softmodded the Wii like a sane person to bypass region)

I'd still say it's very fun and holds up, though a lot of it might feel dated now compared to XC2, FF15, or what games like even berseria and Persona 5 can offer. I still think it's good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The sidequests are loving terrible though, don't do them.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I'm currently playing through xenoblade 1 at the moment and can confirm that it still owns. Fun combat, enjoyably fiddly progression and good characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tosk posted:

I think the original Xenoblade is very much worth playing if you have access to it. Its dated by now but playable and is free from a lot of the bullshit that drags down a lot of JRPGs so its not hard to progress through (the main story at least, gently caress the side quests). I think the biggest appeal it has is a fantastic and unique setting to explore, something that to me still stands out years later.

Xenoblade X isn't actually connected to Xenoblade Chronicles 1 or 2 in any meaningful way. Even the gameplay mechanics between the games aren't terribly similar. Some people really like it but I don't think its anything special, and its a much harder game to get into than Xenoblade 1. Also its stupid garbage trash