Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

who's all playing this? ive been really enjoying the combat system in this, especially the further into the game you get and the more options you have to link combos and launchers and blade finishers etc. i never finished xc1 and never played xcx but this game is like a way better version of 1. the environments are beautiful, the music is wonderful, and the blades are designed like farts coming out of my rear end. i have a feeling end game sidequests are gonna have crazy affinity requirements and i havent been swapping out my blades for basically any reason, so hopefully that doesn't bite me in the rear end late game. i also am like 20 hours in and theres still a menu that isnt opened to me, lol...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
It feels like a psx/ps2 era RPG and I mean that in the best way possible for true rpgheads like myself

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Liquid Drink posted:

It feels like a psx/ps2 era RPG and I mean that in the best way possible for true rpgheads like myself

Yeah. Feels like a game where absolutely nothing was edited out, it's just full of so much stuff

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I was just about to make a thread, this game is really good and XBC1 didn't grab me at all. I love how much new poo poo constantly keeps opening up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm buyin this as soon as i get the money, the gameplay and systems look fuckin great

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Here is , apparently, a mid/late game mechanical spoiler that I'm glad I read because it makes the confusing/agonizing process of deciding who to open Core Crystals with and when to use the rare transfer items a little easier: eventually Rex gets the ability to use everyone else's blades . Do with it as you will

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whoa

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How does that even work lol...well I still don't even have a 3rd blade slot so that probably happens Late game, I wouldn't let it affect your first 40 hours of planning

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
are the reports of performance drops / low frames in handheld mode true in yr experience

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

Yeah. Feels like a game where absolutely nothing was edited out, it's just full of so much stuff

is there a card game, or a snowboarding minigame?

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
is this a game i can pick up and play if i havent played the first one i dont usually like starting series on a sequel

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

is there a card game, or a snowboarding minigame?

One of the characters levels up in a completely different way from everybody else. Instead of equipping them with new weapons and getting affinities through use you have to go to this guy's house and play a fake arcade game that kind of blows, and if you want to make them viable you have to play a shitload of it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

One of the characters levels up in a completely different way from everybody else. Instead of equipping them with new weapons and getting affinities through use you have to go to this guy's house and play a fake arcade game that kind of blows, and if you want to make them viable you have to play a shitload of it
I wasn't going to get this game because I don't really have the free time for it at the moment but I'm rapidly changing my mind.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

20 hours in and I just unlocked the peace walker thing where you sent out mercenaries on timed quests to collect Loot and XP

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Alright then. I'm getting this. Probably going to destroy my life by dumping 10,000 hours into it over the next month but that's the price we pay.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I want to play this because I liked the first one and it seems to scratch that jrpg itch, buut the creepy character designs for the women are off-putting.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

bump_fn posted:

are the reports of performance drops / low frames in handheld mode true in yr experience

Performance/frames no but the resolution drops in some areas and I think the game tries to compensate with some filter that makes everything look weird and blurry. I've mostly played in portable and don't mind it looking uglier but YMMV. As long as there's no choppiness it doesn't bother me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

starbarry clock posted:

is this a game i can pick up and play if i havent played the first one i dont usually like starting series on a sequel

Yeah, I don't think there are any story connections , just some mechanical similarities and reoccurring monsters and stuff . It's a different world with different characters than XB1

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

goferchan posted:

Yeah, I don't think there are any story connections , just some mechanical similarities and reoccurring monsters and stuff . It's a different world with different characters than XB1

I like when sequels start this way then 3/4 through there's a batshit insane twist like the gameworld is actually a computer simulation taking place in an alternate timeline of the first game's world 10,000 years later.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

goferchan posted:

ill probably pick it up after christmas then thank you

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sanzuo posted:

I want to play this because I liked the first one and it seems to scratch that jrpg itch, buut the creepy character designs for the women are off-putting.

Peersonally I like the big giant rubbery balloon tits. They make me laugh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pyra is goofy but way worse is all the unique blades because they were each designed by a different degenerate Japanese fan artist so they can't even create a cohesive mess of fetishes, they just clash a bunch. Which is why some characters look rad as hell or something out of SMT but then you have another one just as powerful that is just a fox with huge tits

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Pyra is goofy but way worse is all the unique blades because they were each designed by a different degenerate Japanese fan artist so they can't even create a cohesive mess of fetishes, they just clash a bunch. Which is why some characters look rad as hell or something out of SMT but then you have another one just as powerful that is just a fox with huge tits

Alright then. Im getting this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

yes, also the resolution changes in handheld mode sometimes to what looks like 240p or there abouts.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

Alright then. Im getting this

hey pal. don't just think you'll be getting giant fox tits for free. you have to use a sort of gatcha system to get new blades [the dudes that give you your skills in battle], and most of them are just sort of generic robots or big cats, instead of the extra special sex foxes or wahtever. and the only time the game autosaves is after you use one of the gatcha items so you can't game the system

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It’s a bit strange that people are ranting about characters with large breasts or w/e in every single online discussion of this game, when Fire Emblem: Awakening, which sold similar figures at launch, prominently featured a girl-that-looks-11-but-shes-actually-1000-so-its-ok-to-marry-her character and didn’t receive even a fraction of the vitriol for it. I guess that seems kinda odd to me. Just my 2¢

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

The soundtrack in this is epic.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pumprag posted:

its good

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

My rare blades so far are a genderless flower-child with a blitzball that appears to be a villain based on its personal quests, and a small Eskimo chanteuse riding a gigantic polar bear. I’ve been trying to grind up my thought-cloud stats because apparently they offer a flat benefit to rare blade chance. So far it seems like all the rares have their own quest line as well right?

Another good thing I noticed is that skills stack across multiple blades. So you could have 3 blades with level 1 water mastery instead of one with level 3.

I actually really love the English VA for all the main cast and only think it suffers for the lil roles that don’t matter. I immediately turned battle voices to 10% though.

Basically this game feels like the result of a group of like oriental game devs that were lost to to the world in the early 2000s and just formed their own little cargo cult of game ideas and went wild. It’s pretty great and the flaws are more endearing than irritating this time around, but I’m still waiting to be destroyed at the 80 hour mark like I was with xbcx

Edit: I especially love when one of the yasunori mitsuda tracks pops up and you’re instantly flooded with Xenoblade/chrono trigger leitmotifs

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It’s a bit strange that people are ranting about characters with large breasts or w/e in every single online discussion of this game, when Fire Emblem: Awakening, which sold similar figures at launch, prominently featured a girl-that-looks-11-but-shes-actually-1000-so-its-ok-to-marry-her character and didn’t receive even a fraction of the vitriol for it. I guess that seems kinda odd to me. Just my 2¢

never played fire emblem, all i know is the design of the main love interest girl or whatever in this game is pretty bad

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

first post in imp zone complaining about boobs in a game you know nothin else about, this dudes goin places

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pumprag posted:

the soundtrack in those is all good. even xcx had some cool rear end tunes

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the worst design is rex. what's wrong with his pants. what's wrong with them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
mitsuda discussion making me want to replay chrono cross, haven’t played that in forever

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

the worst design is rex. what's wrong with his pants. what's wrong with them

More importantly why cant i put him in a cooler clothes

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

i'm posting in this thread because i've otherwise heard that every other aspect about the game is fun, and wanted to read about everyone else's point of view also:

HORMELCHILI posted:

More importantly why cant i put him in a cooler clothes

yea playing dress-up is an important part of modern gaming. does your character at least change when you give them different armor like in the first one?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

no unless there's some dess up mechanic that unlocks 40 hours in

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

just give me an option to either have full biking shorts or full diver pants on rex. this bizarre half measure is insane

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

yes, also the resolution changes in handheld mode sometimes to what looks like 240p or there abouts.

but it stays solid when docked? is it just some power-saving thing? thats lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

just give me an option to either have full biking shorts or full diver pants on rex. this bizarre half measure is insane

• Locked thread