Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

raingwc posted:

Oh absolutely, but the other half will probably never get back to the UFC, atleast not in the next couple of years. His alledged troubles with Irish cartels and getting his side chick pregnant is a sure way to get into Jon Jones career territory.

yeah, for all his 'anyone, anytime, anywhere' schtick, he's clearly pretty meticulous in his preparation, and it feels like all that poo poo is a pretty big impediment to preparding properly.

Southpaugh posted:

Overeems chin is dust, which is why hes been running away from everyone, from Stipe to Hunto. He can't take the heavyweight shots anymore. I thought Ngannou would be able to close with him and connect, considering he nullifies alot of Reems big physical advantages. I think if Reem could have stayed on the outside long enough Francie would have gassed, he was burning serious energy in there against one of the best strikers ever. Would be looking forward to Stipe - Francie though. That would be exceptionally sick.

Why are we all so sure Ngannou gasses? I mean, he is a heavyweight, but in his one fight that lasted any amount of time, he was fine. Also, he was against Overeem, who's cardio is even less consistent than Shogun's.

Gay Horney posted:

I like Ortega a lot but cub is cub. He's a fuckin savage. Tough fight for anybody. The fight will very likely kick rear end

Watching Cub transform from a punchline (remember he was Jens Pulver's one win from late 2006 right through to 2010) to a legitimate top fighter has been one of the stranger and cooler things of the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ngannou's first fight went into the second round and he didn't really gas. This was when he was still effectively living on the streets training in Paris.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ngannou's first fight went into the second round and he didn't really gas. This was when he was still effectively living on the streets training in Paris.

I just rewatched the Henrique and Blaydes fights. He got wrestled a lot in both and never really slowed down, though he’s not a high-output fighter.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Hunto's been cleared to fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don’t think he will gas unless he’s getting beat up or controlled and we haven’t seen anyone do anything close to that yet

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

I don’t think he will gas unless he’s getting beat up or controlled and we haven’t seen anyone do anything close to that yet

Stipe has a history of loving up enormous dudes who have big power in their hands.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i think stipe has a better chance than overeem for sure but its gonna be tough

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Gay Horney posted:

I like Ortega a lot but cub is cub. He's a fuckin savage. Tough fight for anybody. The fight will very likely kick rear end

I'm rooting for T City but I love both fighters.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

kensei posted:

Since Ngannou was unscathed after this last weekend, rumor has it they are shooting for late January or early February. That would be cool.

drat, put him on the Perth card with Whitaker for 221. I'm just putting my leave in now for work and it looks like Hunt is clear to fight as well.

Scapegoat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 6, 2017

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
10oz gloves aren't that big. Overeem not dying in K1 had more to do with him diving into a clinch every two seconds then the gloves

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
he was younger then and on a lot of juice

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
So were his opponents, of course

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12...weight-mma-news
sound the homoerotic headline alarm

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lol

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I wonder if Luke used to gently caress guys like that in high school.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Rockhold now back on top of P4P eating loads.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Rockhold now back on top of P4P eating loads.

Cody hears the word 'pound' and his ears prick up.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bundt Cake posted:

reem was pretty much as punchy as he is now when he won k-1 gp, but he made his style perfect for awhile with his shell n stuff.

someone should review all the stylistic/body changes reem has gone through trying to be a great fighter. he tried being skinny 205 , and super hulk 265, and a few in between sizes. hes been a top position grappler and clinch freak, and a defensive power puncher. some other stuff i dont remember/couldnt characterize too

Was he? I was watching some of his older fights and I thought he was more willing to exchange to his advantage, (age/juice?) I figured his super defensive style in the UFC was to counter a now glass jaw. A dude that size turning his back and fleeing and then resetting within 1.5 seconds is always amazing to watch though.

Snowman_McK posted:

Why are we all so sure Ngannou gasses? I mean, he is a heavyweight, but in his one fight that lasted any amount of time, he was fine. Also, he was against Overeem, who's cardio is even less consistent than Shogun's.

I thought he'd gas versus Reem specifically, if you look at his head movement and stuff he is at 100% effort right from the get go. I think he knew that the longer the fight went on the more likely he was to get countered/read correctly and put to sleep. I mean, Reems been knocking dudes Ngannous size out for going on 20 years the sheer experience advantage is intimidating even if you are a "whatever coded racist bullshit Rogan comes out with" fighter.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Southpaugh posted:

Was he? I was watching some of his older fights and I thought he was more willing to exchange to his advantage, (age/juice?) I figured his super defensive style in the UFC was to counter a now glass jaw. A dude that size turning his back and fleeing and then resetting within 1.5 seconds is always amazing to watch though.

Maybe hes a bit more now or sumthin but he wasnt absorbing many shots

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/938456878954303489

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Poor Bobby Knuckles is going to have to defend his interim title before even getting a title shot? That is pretty funny to me

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
let's be real, the interim middleweight title is the real middleweight title

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that's not to say it isn't funny though

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

let's be real, the interim middleweight title is the real middleweight title

GSP is openly saying at this point he doesn't think he's going to defend the belt.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/6/16742756/georges-st-pierre-doesnt-think-hell-defend-ufc-middleweight-title

He should vacate if he has any sort of doubt so Bobby Knucks can have the legit title imo, though I'm sure Bobby would prefer to win that title in name in a real fight.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Eat This Glob posted:

Poor Bobby Knuckles is going to have to defend his interim title before even getting a title shot? That is pretty funny to me

It sucks, but it's not the first time it's happened. Belts are silly and a mess once you start adding superfights and interim poo poo everywhere.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Every weight class gets a legit title and a Conor mcgregor title

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

It sucks, but it's not the first time it's happened. Belts are silly and a mess once you start adding superfights and interim poo poo everywhere.

I remember Barao defending his interim against Michael McDonald because Cruz didn't have legs.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember Barao defending his interim against Michael McDonald because Cruz didn't have legs.

Due to Randy loving off to try to fight Fedor we had the Heavyweight and Interim Heavyweight titles defended within a month of each other in 2008.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Due to Randy loving off to try to fight Fedor we had the Heavyweight and Interim Heavyweight titles defended within a month of each other in 2008.

Man, as terrible as HW is now, it's a nice reminder that it used to be worse.

I also feel like this statement would be true at almost any point in the history of the UFC.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Snowman_McK posted:

Didn't Barao have multiple interim title defenses?

Edit: Apparently it was just the one. I forgot how soon they stripped Cruz during Barao's reign. Those were the days.

El Roncho fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 6, 2017

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

When people say interim titles are stupid they don't mean when they are actually defended while the real champ was out, because that's how they are actually supposed to work instead of as cheap marketing tools and guaranteed title shots. So Barao having defenses until Cruz was stripped is an interim belt working as intended. The whole Randy/Nog/Mir/Lesnar thing and Whittaker having a legit title fight to win an interim belt while Bisping was out with a short term injury and then Whittaker getting injured so Bisping defended the belt against a fat welterweight are not.

e: also Condit winning one when GSP tore his acl and then sitting on his hands for a year to get a big title fight while Hendricks thinned out all the other possible contenders.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont mind them. theyre a good way to get 2 dangerous contenders to agree to fight eachother instead of just waiting for their regular shot. and the fighters can probably negotiate a little extra money for doing them

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Note to self - That card was loving insane

Glad I have such amazing foresight.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

did anyone say Stipe vs. Ngannou at 220 yet because teh

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
No way that's the co-main for Cormier/Volkan, right? Heavyweight championship goes on last I assume

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
At least one of those fights will probably be changed by then

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

I thought he'd gas versus Reem specifically, if you look at his head movement and stuff he is at 100% effort right from the get go. I think he knew that the longer the fight went on the more likely he was to get countered/read correctly and put to sleep. I mean, Reems been knocking dudes Ngannous size out for going on 20 years the sheer experience advantage is intimidating even if you are a "whatever coded racist bullshit Rogan comes out with" fighter.

Before he became good at kickboxing he had a fight with sergei where he turned around and tried to run away. And sergei knocked him out through the ropes

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
id like to see sergei hit that punching power machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is the punching power thing a legit world record or the equivalent of having your initials on an admittedly elite mortal kombat machine

• Locked thread