Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Internet Explorer posted:

And the old Battletech books were amazing!

I’m Michael Stackpole and this is MechAss *rascaly guitar riff*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I want to run around more on the cool old red grass mercury - gently caress the desert setting!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

cougar cub posted:

I want to run around more on the cool old red grass mercury - gently caress the desert setting!

Yeah, past Mercury is rad as heck. I was reading up on destiny lore the other week and saw the whole "Mercury was a garden world but then got hosed up by the Vex" and was like 'gently caress I wanna see that garden world" It was cool that Bungie let us see it, but why the heck did they not do more with it? I'm amazed they didn't make the patrol area have past and future sections or something.

Although I'm curious what exactly the Traveller did that made it possible for Mercury to be like that.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I just want to patrol the garden area. That was awesome.

I literally made the joke to Tyra when we were doing story, “Oh, I bet we don’t come back here at all since it’s the coolest part of the planet.”

Lo and behold, I was right. I know Mr Bungie too well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Curse of Osiris is the Sonic CD of FPS games

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also super shout out to the intro movie that features:
-A titan charging with electrical energy leap into the fray

-a warlock jumping over an enemy robot to toss a vicious grenade

-A Hunter somersaulting to literally no effect

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So with the new expansion, am I just forever SOL if I failed to unlock a piece of Optimancy armor?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Butter Hole posted:

Isn't it $20?

I think I'm gonna wait on this one. Maybe they'll bundle a few expansions together down the line. I've heard goons say good things about the state they eventually got destiny 1 into, maybe they'll get there with 2 in a year or so.

I bought the expansion pass (which is normally 35) on sale for like 15% off. But yeah, if you are willing to wait a year it's always better to wait a year to buy games if price is the concern.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Curse of Osiris is the five guys of gaming

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Still cheaper than an MMO sub, and with a real MMO you also have to factor the gameplay tax of "this is boring as poo poo to play" so Destiny is an even better value

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All the hilarity about Prometheus Lens and the raging about the shortness of Mercury aside, I'd like to say I think the Prophecy weapons are under appreciated. They look super cool, their grinds aren't long but they're long enough that you can use them as short term goals and you can get radiolarians from public events and planet chests while the other material you can get from strikes, crucible or Heroic adventures. Being able to do basically anything in the game to progress towards your goals is the entire design goal of D2 and I think this is the best example of that design mentality so far.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/bungie/status/938467984741318657

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hooray. Looking forward to seeing how long it is.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

poemdexter posted:

Hooray. Looking forward to seeing how long it is.

Not long.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
it's not long, it's more of a slightly below average size, but it's thick

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Norns posted:

The story was fine

Hey Osiris, wanna come back with us?

"No, I gotta go back to my closet."

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, past Mercury is rad as heck. I was reading up on destiny lore the other week and saw the whole "Mercury was a garden world but then got hosed up by the Vex" and was like 'gently caress I wanna see that garden world" It was cool that Bungie let us see it, but why the heck did they not do more with it? I'm amazed they didn't make the patrol area have past and future sections or something.

Although I'm curious what exactly the Traveller did that made it possible for Mercury to be like that.

Space magic.

I think my biggest issue with the Infinite Forest is that it's supposed to be a gigantic complex web of Vex simulations but all they could give us was world's most overhyped proc-gen. Give me segments from the Vault of Glass, Crota's End, King's Fall, Wrath of the Machine, etc. One moment you're fighting Fallen in Old Russia when suddenly the terrain falls away right under your feet and you're upside-down in the Dreadnaught as Cabal and Hive adjust to the buggy gravity and start fighting again.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

cvnvcnv posted:

Not long.

That's fine with me. I'd rather go in sorta blind day 1 and knock it out in 4 or 5 hours instead of the leviathan which took 8+ hours across multiple teams before I finished it. As long as it's somewhat challenging, I'm all good.

It's me. The casual Destiny 2 player with one character who likes to left click things after work sometimes.

Edit: or maybe not. I just checked and I have 128h played.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 6, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Oxyclean posted:

It was cool that Bungie let us see it, but why the heck did they not do more with it?

because you can't put that in an eververse loot box

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I read the infinite forest description and it sounded like d3 rifts. Got my hopes up. Damnit.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The "infinite" forest is pretty lazy for a $20 expansion, but not nearly as lazy as making the mercury social space the size of a closet. An entire planet represented by an area so small they don't even allow you to summon your sparrow because there's literally no point.

I mean, you still can't actually talk to anyone in this game so i guess "social space" is a generous term to begin with, but good lord.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

why do people think they were adding a new social space and that the lighthouse is more than just a planet vendor hut? :psyduck:
hell, it's no more than a pretty version of Devrim's watch tower or Sloane's control room, but with portal doors. You weren't screwed on a social space at all.

Argas posted:

I think my biggest issue with the Infinite Forest is that it's supposed to be a gigantic complex web of Vex simulations but all they could give us was world's most overhyped proc-gen.

star citizen
e: no man's sky

AAB fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 6, 2017

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis

Argas posted:

I think my biggest issue with the Infinite Forest is that it's supposed to be a gigantic complex web of Vex simulations but all they could give us was world's most overhyped proc-gen. Give me segments from the Vault of Glass, Crota's End, King's Fall, Wrath of the Machine, etc. One moment you're fighting Fallen in Old Russia when suddenly the terrain falls away right under your feet and you're upside-down in the Dreadnaught as Cabal and Hive adjust to the buggy gravity and start fighting again.

You know what would be cool and good? Doing exactly that over the lifetime of this expansion as a way to shoehorn in D1 content, which would be a great way for PC players to experience some of the more memorable setpieces from the first game. It would help the Infinite Forest content stay relevant over the course of the game too, although I guess that will always be true due to the infusion/light level system.

Better yet, drops in the Infinite Forest span infinite timelines, so every time you play you get a chance at Greatest Hits, RNG edition.

Hire me Mr. Bungie, I'll make Destiny 2 great again.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

AAB posted:

why do people think they were adding a new social space and that the lighthouse is more than just a planet vendor hut? :psyduck:
hell, it's no more than a pretty version of Devrim's watch tower or Sloane's control room, but with portal doors. You weren't screwed on a social space at all.

I think they mean to complain about the patrol area, since you can encounter random people in it.

But yeah, it's really kinda lame they didn't make something even half as big as the other patrol areas. The size might have been okay for a free update, not something that's 1/4 the cost of the base game.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

DXH posted:

You know what would be cool and good? Doing exactly that over the lifetime of this expansion as a way to shoehorn in D1 content, which would be a great way for PC players to experience some of the more memorable setpieces from the first game. It would help the Infinite Forest content stay relevant over the course of the game too, although I guess that will always be true due to the infusion/light level system.

Better yet, drops in the Infinite Forest span infinite timelines, so every time you play you get a chance at Greatest Hits, RNG edition.

Hire me Mr. Bungie, I'll make Destiny 2 great again.

But Destiny 2 wasn't great in the first place.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Things That Make Me Upset About Destiny Two:

- No in-game clan management
- lovely group/fireteam management
- No LFG outside of orbit
- lovely inventory management
- lovely endgame content grind (weekly engrams only)
- No feeling of power progression
- No reason to continue playing this shite
- Seriously you can run past like 90% of the game without penalty at all
- The PVP is OK actually

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

destiny 2 isn't literally perfect after being out for 3 months, this is unacceptable *continues to play every day*

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

faulteroy posted:

destiny 2 isn't literally perfect even as good as Destiny 1 after being out for 3 months, this is unacceptable *continues to play every day* *stops playing for like three weeks*

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
The crucible milestone this week is an interesting experience

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Finally installed destiny 2 after preordering it. It is pretty fun. Thanks for reading this post.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

D1 servers are still up if it's this amazing you can't let go of hth

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Argas posted:

Hey Osiris, wanna come back with us?

"No, I gotta go back to my closet."

Yeah, that sucks. I'd like Osiris to take more a part in the vanguard now that he has more support/spotlight. Have a strike where him and Asher Mir snipe at each other's vex research while you blast away at a vex mind looking to restore Panoptes to the timeline. Or have him chiming in over Ikora Rey, have her show him up and have him react with pride. Something that gives us more to his character and makes him a part of the universe.

Heck, bring back the Trials of Osiris, but as a PvE group event like Prison of Elders was, but in the infinite forest.

quote:

Have it do this. This is fun and good.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Argas posted:

but all they could give us was world's most overhyped proc-gen.

making GBS threads out of your mouth like this is better suited for reddit

they specifically went out of their way to say that it’s not proc-gen or randomized, and did you completely miss No Man’s Sky? Jesus

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
For the min maxing poopsockers out there, Calus drops 330 light gear so if you wanna chase the big numbers go do him 3 times across your characters before handing in any powerful engrams.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
They nerfed my titan flying knee's range and I fell off a cliff...

:negative:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

J.A.B.C. posted:

Yeah, that sucks. I'd like Osiris to take more a part in the vanguard now that he has more support/spotlight. Have a strike where him and Asher Mir snipe at each other's vex research while you blast away at a vex mind looking to restore Panoptes to the timeline. Or have him chiming in over Ikora Rey, have her show him up and have him react with pride. Something that gives us more to his character and makes him a part of the universe.

Heck, bring back the Trials of Osiris, but as a PvE group event like Prison of Elders was, but in the infinite forest.

Have it do this. This is fun and good.

Well, Osiris and Sagira do talk during one of the new strikes (I haven't gotten the other one yet). Too bad the strike was basically copy pasted into/from one of the campaign missions. The strike is far more enjoyable than the campaign mission though because you're running around with two other guardians dunking on everything. While I understand why random matchmaking group content is limited as is and how it can definitely ruin some story experiences because some rear end in a top hat is always going to be playing differently from you, I would've liked the option to matchmake for story stuff.

I'm disappointed in the amount of new poo poo CoO brings in to base content around since by the looks of it, a ton of it is already reused. Heroic strikes are probably the best thing about CoO though because there's enough elite enemies to drop power ammo everywhere without being an unforgiving rear end in a top hat like Nightfalls. I pretty much ran through a few strikes with my rocket launcher never running out of ammo.

Legs Benedict posted:

making GBS threads out of your mouth like this is better suited for reddit

they specifically went out of their way to say that it’s not proc-gen or randomized, and did you completely miss No Man’s Sky? Jesus

Well poo poo, guess I'm entirely wrong about Curse of Osiris then.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Legs Benedict posted:

they specifically went out of their way to say that it’s not proc-gen or randomized,

It seems shockingly lazy that it isn't procedurally generated. Its a linear path with prefab pieces, it has one entrance and one exit, and it is takes place in a huge void of empty space. I think you'd have to try hard to come up with a setup that is more conducive to being procedurally generated. Procedural doesn't automatically mean "good" or "fun", but it would be a hell of a lot better than just re-doing static adventures that feel like they were procedurally generated in the first place. It should have been procedural and get more difficult the further in you get, and give you a chance to exit and get rewards when you hit those weird hallways or push on for a chance at better rewards. If they threw like one or two level designers at it during the season then they could add new segments that get added to the procedural generator to keep things fresh. Instead, they created a static amount of content that you will exhaust really quickly.

For what its worth, I don't feel like I got ripped off with the expansion, but it continues the trend of feeling like I'm getting the bare minimum gameplay value for my money.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 6, 2017

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Waffle House posted:

I’m Michael Stackpole and this is MechAss *rascaly guitar riff*

*Battlemech explodes in firey nuclear explosion wiping out miles around out in a horrific nuclear fire*

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

With Curse of Osiris, does anything about the "from light level X to Y do this, from Y to Z do this" etc.. change?

Edit: Like do the level ranges change with CoO?

Gilg fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 6, 2017

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Gilg posted:

With Curse of Osiris, does anything about the "from light level X to Y do this, from Y to Z do this" etc.. change?

Edit: Like do the level ranges change with CoO?

iirc all activities get a “speed bump” to be on-level. Like there’s nothing that “fell behind” for loot drops afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mercury forge Weapons Impressions:

- Garden Progeny scout rifle. classic scout rifle, usable, not bad or interesting, but is decent enough for some scouting. the sight is a bit too big.
- Jack Queen King 3. hand canon. Boring,did not had anything that really impressed me.
- Machina Dei 4. Pulse rifle. Good but kind of slow.

I have yet to see anything that impress me here. Will still farm more mats to produce all of the verses if are made available.

• Locked thread