Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Shane has a 50% rate of having the best match at Wrestlemania in this decade do you know how hard that is?! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

VJeff posted:

Shane has a 50% rate of having the best match at Wrestlemania in this decade do you know how hard that is?! :v:

brock/goldberg was better

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

uh...is NXT getting a weekly show on USA or is that just a onetime thing for 'WWE Week'

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

boar guy posted:

uh...is NXT getting a weekly show on USA or is that just a onetime thing for 'WWE Week'

One week thing but it may be to test the waters for when the TV deal is negotiated next year.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

It's a great idea until you realize Henry would probably injure himself walking down to the ring.

Worked for Vince. (Him blowing his quads at the Rumble and effectively throwing a tantrum from his rear end while no-selling it will always be hilarious to me.)

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

vince being in real, actual pain will always be a good thing

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Worked for Vince. (Him blowing his quads at the Rumble and effectively throwing a tantrum from his rear end while no-selling it will always be hilarious to me.)
Vince was pissed because that was the Rumble where they hosed up the finish, correct?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddammit now I'm mad at WWE for not giving me Mark Henry: Smackdown GM even though they never ever remotely floated the idea before.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mental exercise: besides Mark Henry, what other performers would you like to see as an authority figure?

For me: Honestly it would have been Daniel Bryan. Someone who isn't afraid to be goofy/mocked and someone who doesn't really give a poo poo about being fired so they can just riff on the product like he did with the Universal Title.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Spikeguy posted:

Mental exercise: besides Mark Henry, what other performers would you like to see as an authority figure?
woken matt hardy

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Mark Henry, Smackdown GM comes down to the ring in a baby blue suit: You might have to fight AJ?

Mark Henry, Smackdown GM comes down to the ring in a Salmon pink suit: You are hosed. Get ready to meet Poseidon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

For me: Honestly it would have been Daniel Bryan. Someone who isn't afraid to be goofy/mocked and someone who doesn't really give a poo poo about being fired so they can just riff on the product like he did with the Universal Title.

I'd just like no authority figures.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How often did Jack Tunney show up?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Eli Wiggum posted:

Vince was pissed because that was the Rumble where they hosed up the finish, correct?

Yeah, that was the one with Batista and Cena falling out at the same time. The timing of the double elimination and how well the refs covered for it is still seriously incredible.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

I'd just like no authority figures.

This is a good answer. I miss the days of Jack Tunney or Gorilla Monsoon where they weren't SUPER involved in the show or storylines each week. Gorilla is even pushing it a little, because he was on camera doing stuff a lot but I don't recall him really being authoritative or being overly involved in any storylines other than loving with Jim Cornette and getting beaten up by Vader.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Pro wrestling storylines today can not function without a central authority figure because there is next to no actual planning going into the production and as a result nobodies motivations make any sense or are even explainable without a centralized general manager figure pretending to have some rhyme or reason behind driving the two figures in a given storyline into actually having conflict.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

vince mcmahon took all the wrong lessons from austin/vince but there was no way he was going to internalize something that goies against his gross, evil life philosphy

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

reignofevil posted:

Pro wrestling storylines today can not function without a central authority figure because there is next to no actual planning going into the production and as a result nobodies motivations make any sense or are even explainable without a centralized general manager figure pretending to have some rhyme or reason behind driving the two figures in a given storyline into actually having conflict.

you typed "pro wrestling storylines" when you meant "wwe storylines" there are plenty of promotions who have mostly good booking that don't have authority figures dominate everything

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Invest Fat Konnor with plenipotentiary powers over smackdown and especially 205 live.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That time they teased Sandman winning a battle royal to become GM of Raw was pretty great, at least until he didn't win

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Davros1 posted:

It's a great idea until you realize Henry would probably injure himself walking down to the ring.

he would ride to the ring in either a golf cart, or one of the carts from the Royal Rumble this year

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Regal is the only good authority figure because he doesn't actually get into storylines. Just come out, make the matches, and gently caress off until you're needed again. It's not that hard.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Benne posted:

Regal is the only good authority figure because he doesn't actually get into storylines. Just come out, make the matches, and gently caress off until you're needed again. It's not that hard.
Yeah but unlike the McMahons, Regal is normal

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Benne posted:

Yeah, when SmackDown was really good right after the brand split, the authority figures were more like... hosts or MCs? Usually they just had a segment towards the top of the show where they said "Hey everybody it's great to be here in $CITY_NAME, tonight we have these matches coming up and if this guy wins his match he's the #1 contender!"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Just bring back Austin to yell at people and Take No Bumps

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, when SmackDown was really good right after the brand split, the authority figures were more like... hosts or MCs? Usually they just had a segment towards the top of the show where they said "Hey everybody it's great to be here in $CITY_NAME, tonight we have these matches coming up and if this guy wins his match he's the #1 contender!"

Shane didn't even show up every week, so it was actually kinda cool when he did show up. Contrasting Raw where it felt like Stephanie was berating people every single week.

Now...lol.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Imagine them bringing back stone cold and cucking him out to Steph for 7 months until everyone begs for him to leave and never come back

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i think the problem is that we don't have enough authority figures

we need a raw commissioner, a raw gm, a raw assistant gm, a board of directors, stephanie mcmahon, vince mcmahon, and a second board of directors

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

rare Magic card l00k posted:

i think the problem is that we don't have enough authority figures

we need a raw commissioner, a raw gm, a raw assistant gm, a board of directors, stephanie mcmahon, vince mcmahon, and a second board of directors

Can Linda McMahon come out as CEO again? 30 minutes of Steph and Linda promos. I’ll be in my bunk.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just bring back Austin to yell at people and Take No Bumps

Bring back Austin, but have him be weird, paranoid, crazy heel Austin from post X7.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Realtalk though Goldust would be a fantastic GM. Let him just be Dustin Rhodes and act as a kindly mentor who still wants to run an exciting show. Screw him over though and he grabs his face paint and starts powerslamming fools. It would be a great gold watch for him and let him do something different.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Make Finlay the GM. Anyone disagrees with him, he'll just beat the poo poo out of them.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

"My name is Finlay, and I love to general manage"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

Bring back Austin, but have him be weird, paranoid, crazy heel Austin from post X7.

get out

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Weird, paranoid Austin was the best Austin. Sorry.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
have ya’ll ever had gay meat?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Weird, paranoid Austin was the best Austin. Sorry.

He wasn't the best Austin, but he was absolutely fantastic. I loved that weird, angry, paranoid man.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Yes

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

DEAR RICHARD posted:

have ya’ll ever had gay meat?

no, but i have been i'that lil hippie granola s... state you call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

vince mcmahon took all the wrong lessons from austin/vince but there was no way he was going to internalize something that goies against his gross, evil life philosphy

Didn't he say in the Austin podcast that he thought the Mr. McMahon character was the opposite of who he is as a person and that he was actually more like the Stone Cold character?

• Locked thread