Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The sidequests are loving terrible though, don't do them.

they're not as complex as XC2's but they're simple enough to literally put on a list and forget about them, since many are just "collect or kill X amount of Y" or some kind of gossip girl poo poo you do in the towns i.e. "pls ask my friend if he wants to be my friend teehee" which leads to this weirdly amazing web of affinity links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DLC Inc posted:

they're not as complex as XC2's but they're simple enough to literally put on a list and forget about them, since many are just "collect or kill X amount of Y" or some kind of gossip girl poo poo you do in the towns i.e. "pls ask my friend if he wants to be my friend teehee" which leads to this weirdly amazing web of affinity links

The sidequests themselves aren't an issue. The problem is that they are impossible to easily find and gated behind town affinity levels. You can do the ones you stumble across but trying to find specific ones or grind up town affinity to unlock more is a massive headache.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The sidequests themselves aren't an issue. The problem is that they are impossible to easily find and gated behind town affinity levels. You can do the ones you stumble across but trying to find specific ones or grind up town affinity to unlock more is a massive headache.

XC had town affinity level or is this still about XC2? That would explain why certain sidequests only seemed to appear at odd points for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got the ch5 start character yesterday, rolled up a few cores and ended up getting Godfrey

"oh good a TNK to work with their starting Blade" I think to myself

turns out no he's going to be leading merc missions for several goddamn hours

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

I got the ch5 start character yesterday, rolled up a few cores and ended up getting Godfrey

They're all 20 minute ones you can get down to 11 minutes if you put him with the correct secondaries. Only the first five matter at all for his affinity since they unlock some of his skills.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish I got got an axe unique on Rex so I could Launch people since I currently have nobody who can do it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lodin posted:

I was having trouble with both salvaging QTEs and Tiger! Tiger! and finally realized the pro controller had input lag. For some reason it did not affect combat. I've never had that problem with the controller before and it was weird.
Switching to joycons fixed it so now I can actually get some good loot and level Poppi. Now the only problem is that hammering the B button during arts is a pain in the arse.

A yes or no question: does Tora ever get any other bootleg blades? I realize Poppi is probably one of the most OP blades in the game but only having one still seems very limiting.

I also feel like there's less lag playing in tablet mode than there is playing on the TV with the dogface controller.

Also, someone has probably answered this by now but: yes.

Andrast posted:

I wish I got got an axe unique on Rex so I could Launch people since I currently have nobody who can do it

Rex is guaranteed to have a launch option once you get a few chapters in.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ciaphas posted:

he's loving fabulous and I won't hear otherwise

also as far as I'm concerned dude's full name is Glorious Godfrey

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Tosk posted:

So I accidentally found myself in the original thread for the first game.

Is the consensus still that it was one of the best JRPGs in recent memory? How do the sequels compare?

I'm basically looking to binge run a JRPG series and I'm caught between Persona, Xenoblade (and maybe Xenosaga although I have no idea if there are any tie ins or relation whatsoever to this franchise) or the last couple Final Fantasies that I've missed.

First xenoblade was good for it's time because JRPGs were really stale and kinda bad around then, and the wii didn't have many similar games. The last good JRPG to come out back then was Persona 4 in 2008, IMO, and xenoblade wouldn't come out for another 4 years in the states. I personally didn't really like FF13 or 15. I didn't like xenoblade X either, especially comparing it to 1 and 2. All xenoblade games stand on their own so you can just jump right in.

Honestly I think xenoblade 1 and 2 would be more enjoyable to binge. I like Persona a lot more, but if you haven't played them some of those games might burn you out if you binge, like Persona 3 FES.

The Moon Monster posted:

I also feel like there's less lag playing in tablet mode than there is playing on the TV with the dogface controller.

It could be your TV.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Should I generally be popping my cores the moment I get them? And what should I do with bad Blades, release them immediately?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

quaunaut posted:

Should I generally be popping my cores the moment I get them? And what should I do with bad Blades, release them immediately?

Depends on how much you want to grind. You can use tier 1 rarity to increase your characters core grid (Justice/Compassion/Truth/Bravery). When you increase them to max affinity you also get an item you can use to increase WP on any weapon you choose on any character. The small one for tier 1 blades with like 2k WP. Tier 1 blades with under 18 affinity circles would be easiest to grind out since they only need like 250/300 trust total for all 5 levels.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

quaunaut posted:

Keep them unless you need the room. Also bad ones might not be bad depending on what field skills they have.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I should probably start leveling ym crappy blades that I'm thinking of ditching, so I can get the WP items from them as well as the idea boosts they can give characters. I know some have useful field skills (or merc mission skills) but I have no idea how many blades I can carry at max but I'm sure whatever the count is, it's not enough.

Zore posted:

The salvage point right near where you first arrive in Mors Ardain has a high chance of pulling up Krabbles which always drop common cores and a rare drop of rare cores. You get guaranteed rare cores if you overkill them with a chain attack.

Guess I'll be using Adenine when I farm those. Assuming her drop rate buff affects rare drops because chain combos aren't an every-trash-mob thing. :sigh:

Hand Row posted:

You see a lot of fretting in this thread over blades but it really isn't a big deal. You are guaranteed blades that basically flesh out your whole party. Most of concern is just OCD.

I want some of the rare blades because they look rad as hell. I might swap Zenobia to Rex because she's an attacker with a big kickass axe and the reason I haven't done so yet is because I don't know if overdrives are a finite resource (probably not), or if they'll be something you can farm but it'll be time consuming as hell (probably).

What canister do you use, or doesn't it matter?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Where are the Sweets and Makeup shops in the Leftherian Archipelago?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want some of the rare blades because they look rad as hell. I might swap Zenobia to Rex because she's an attacker with a big kickass axe and the reason I haven't done so yet is because I don't know if overdrives are a finite resource (probably not), or if they'll be something you can farm but it'll be time consuming as hell (probably).

What canister do you use, or doesn't it matter?

Zenobia is a beast, she is my bread and butter. She has a move which does massive damage and doubles for toppled enemies, and a lot of what i do involves toppling and cancelling to her for them big big hitz.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

There's this spot in chapter 7 where I need the Ancient Wisdom field skill to progress the story, but I don't have any blades with it. :rip:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

brand engager posted:

There's this spot in chapter 7 where I need the Ancient Wisdom field skill to progress the story, but I don't have any blades with it. :rip:

Dromarch has it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
On a scale of Batman to Batman Ninja, how anime is this game?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Annath posted:

On a scale of Batman to Batman Ninja, how anime is this game?

Like Batman Ninja x2

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Zore posted:

Like Batman Ninja x2

Awesome, needed to make sure my purchase was worthwhile.

Is there anything I can permanently miss out on or things I need to do before certain plot points?

I'm at the beginning, just had an emotional cutscene after crashing into a forest...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just in Chapter 6 and I love how the assassination attempt on the summit plays out. Go in thinking it's a cunning plan where Bana's using his Tirkin minions to poison the banquet food and hide it with strong flavours...

And it turns out that we just murdered a group of perfectly-innocent World-Class Tirkin chefs on the grounds of racial profiling.

And Bana's plan was far less clever than you thought; GIGA-ROSA!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

After waves and waves of common trash on Rex and Nia*, the fourth party member's first two rolls yield Gorg and Ursula.

*Ok so Rex got Electra and Nia got Perun way back in Chapter 2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Pandoria owns :allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I hope this game has snow later

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

gently caress whoever ok'ed this phantasm fight, especially when the area has a "no specials above level 1" restriction.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

tap my mountain posted:

To clarify, there's a crab(?) inside the block right above the entrance

There isn't always. I've done it several times in several Tiger Tiger spots that just had them free for the taking.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is there a way to tell my team to fall back on me? Because I loving hate when the tank goes straight into a pile of poo poo to fight a mob and die in it because its lava.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hm the ch5 tank doesn’t seem near as good as Tora and Poppi at holding threat. Which is annoying because I refuse to interact with tiger tiger :colbert:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There isn't always. I've done it several times in several Tiger Tiger spots that just had them free for the taking.

Oh poo poo that means I've been missing ones I didn't realize they were there. Thanks for correcting me

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ciaphas posted:

Hm the ch5 tank doesn’t seem near as good as Tora and Poppi at holding threat. Which is annoying because I refuse to interact with tiger tiger :colbert:

Start stacking up aggro aux cores and core chips and accessories.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just had my third crash lost 2 hours of salvaging. Have lost all will to continue, I will leave this tip that I feel most people miss there's a nopon on the starting ship that judges your salvage haul at a mid rank that gives an accessory that has a 50% chance for each auto attack to hit twice which is amazing and sped up my combats massively.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's the deal with Azami's merc quest that takes ??:?? time to complete

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calaveron posted:

someone a few days back said to start it then go to a specific place to like, see an NPC or whatever, and that triggers finishing it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I haven't figured it out myself yet, but I'm starting to think I need to do something in Fonsa Myma or something because I let it sit there for an hour plus and it never completed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So what's the supposedly great Salvage Point in Mor Ardain for getting Core Crystals from?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

You need to go to the capital of Uraya to interact with her.

It'll spawn as a sidequest marker near the docks

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Zore posted:

You need to go to the capital of Uraya to interact with her.

It'll spawn as a sidequest marker near the docks

Remarkably, when I did have the merc mission active, I did see the quest marker at the docks in the map and never put 2 and 2 together. Sonuvabitch. :negative:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's also part of Azami's third affinity level unlock, and highlighting the lock circle in her affinity menu will tell you exactly what to do provided she's already unlocked level 2 affinity.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I like Tiger Tiger well enough I just wish it was slightly more lenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
what unlocks more stages for Tiger Tiger anyways? I'm not sure when or how I unlocked Stage 2 but beating it didn't unlock Stage 3. Also what's the bonus for getting all medals in a single run? Still haven't pulled it off