Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Stale Saltines posted:

Didn't he say in the Austin podcast that he thought the Mr. McMahon character was the opposite of who he is as a person and that he was actually more like the Stone Cold character?

Vince also thought he was the Babyface in the Montreal Screwjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I don't think Ryback would approve of gay meat on the table

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stale Saltines posted:

Didn't he say in the Austin podcast that he thought the Mr. McMahon character was the opposite of who he is as a person and that he was actually more like the Stone Cold character?

I believe he's also said that when he meets with other rich people, he feels a real connection with the likes of the janitors because he's just like them.

Shocking I know, but I think the rich old white dude might be slightly divorced from reality.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Weird, paranoid Austin was the best Austin. Sorry.

weird, paranoid austin is kinda fun in old youtube videos but was absolutely awful in practice

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jerusalem posted:

I believe he's also said that when he meets with other rich people, he feels a real connection with the likes of the janitors because he's just like them.

Shocking I know, but I think the rich old white dude might be slightly divorced from reality.

While he is most certainly divorced from reality, I do see the way Vince McMahon, Ultimate Wrestling Carnie, would relate more with a janitor than some classy millionaire.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

that's all horseshit, he's loving friends with donald trump

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

weird, paranoid austin is kinda fun in old youtube videos but was absolutely awful in practice

I know it was really bad for business and that Austin himself has frequently talked about how he hosed up by doing it, but I used to love watching that whole angle and where Austin's insane paranoia would lead him to each week: usually some wonderful misunderstanding involving Taz, or him getting frustrated at RVD being more over than him.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I used to just be pissed off that Austin wasn't just kicking rear end and being Steve Austin

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

that's all horseshit, he's loving friends with donald trump

Who is also a loving dirtbag human being and all-around moron. Trump happens to be delusional into thinking he's a fancy, smart rich guy. Vince seems to be delusional into thinking he's an every-man who knows what regular people think/like/want. Both delusional, both made of trash, but with some slight differences.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

All rich people are trash but my point here if vince can't really believe he's an everyman when one of his best friends is the gold plated toilet guy. It's a thing he says to keep wrestling fans in his pocket

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Only if Austin gets his wise personal assistant Tie-jeerie

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Only if Austin gets his wise personal assistant Tie-jeerie

You're a good man, Tie-Jeer-eee

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerusalem posted:

Eh, I actually believe this one. Vince has always been a weird outsider and North Carolina trailer trash at heart, who openly despised the bougie Connecticut community back in the day (IIRC the original Hunter Hearst Helmsely gimmick was a riff on that).

That's probably changed today, but if you hear him talk about his childhood it's definitely the mindset he had growing up.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

In case you were wondering who's beating Asuka/how soon it's happening: USA Today says Ronda's finalizing a contract

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vince completely lacks self-awareness and basically hates everything that he is without realizing he is all of those things.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I wish Vince McMahon would run for president

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
What a great Rusev Day

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/938595984824852481

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

quote:

A contact within WWE reached out to inform Sports Illustrated that Hardy will be allowed a creative license by McMahon, who sees opportunity and the opportunity to cash in on a character that is already established.

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2017/12/06/wwe-wrestling-news-matt-hardy-earl-hebner

I can see Vince cracking up at Matt calling him MEEKMAHAN

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
this is random but did jack tunney sell out to the million dollar man or what? do you guys remember that angle? maybe it was just in wwf magazine but i remember photos of them meeting in a parking lot. and wasn't there something about him having red eyes or pink eye or something? can someone refresh my memory so i can stop thinking about this

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

All rich people are trash but my point here if vince can't really believe he's an everyman when one of his best friends is the gold plated toilet guy. It's a thing he says to keep wrestling fans in his pocket

Vince probably fits in well with Trump because Trump is like what a hobo thinks a rich, classy person is like. He can afford to eat fast food all the time and he has a big gold building with his name on it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is very late, but on which performer would be good in a GM role: when he retires, I would like to see Miz do a stint as heel authority figure. He is smug, hateable, great on the mic and not afraid to be humiliated by the faces. Also he chucks very entertaining tantrums when he loses, (which as a hell GM he should pretty often.)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
It needs to be a man who can take bumps and isn't a McMahon, Miz could be pretty good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Received a ticketmaster email mentioning WWE house show tickets for a local show here in Pittsburgh on the 28th. I was curious to see what tickets were selling for in comparison to the fairly regular tv tapings and the occasional ppv every that get booked here. Noticed that they weren't selling tickets in the upper deck at all. Is this normal protocol now for all house shows in NBA/NHL size arenas? If so, how long has this been the case?

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/wwe-l...4&minorcatid=27

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

In case you were wondering who's beating Asuka/how soon it's happening: USA Today says Ronda's finalizing a contract

that's gonna be for the mma four horsewomen vs wwe four horsewomen at wrestlemania. i don't see ronda being a regular or feuding with asuka.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Miz being a GM isn't the worst idea in the world......like 5 years after he retires.

We've had Miz for a loving long time, him retiring and then being straight back on TV would be pretty awful. Let us miss him first.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

sonicice posted:

this is random but did jack tunney sell out to the million dollar man or what? do you guys remember that angle? maybe it was just in wwf magazine but i remember photos of them meeting in a parking lot. and wasn't there something about him having red eyes or pink eye or something? can someone refresh my memory so i can stop thinking about this

I actually have that issue of WWF magazine. Well, one of them. January 1995. The story ends on a "to be continued" sort of thing, that the next issue will have proper in-depth investigation into the matter. I have no memory of it being mentioned on TV. Oh, and the article also implies DiBiase has paid off a variety of referees and Vic Venom.

Also, the issue includes King Kong Bundy stuffing Jamison's head in a urinal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rusev meeting the pig was even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5oa9XUMzLI

Needless to say, Rusev is the best.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Wazzu posted:

Miz being a GM isn't the worst idea in the world......like 5 years after he retires.

We've had Miz for a loving long time, him retiring and then being straight back on TV would be pretty awful. Let us miss him first.

Speaking of, when he's back from filming, it'd just be dynamite if he could do something that's not immediately feuding for the IC Title again.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

miz should feud with aj on smackdown

I'm serious

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI7FcfttAIE

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

sonicice posted:

Now there's a thing. Can we pay enough to get Ted DiBiase to commission Smackdown? He's 10 years younger than Vince.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

He wasn't the best Austin, but he was absolutely fantastic. I loved that weird, angry, paranoid man.

In retrospect Austin build to wrestlemania x7 was great. You have this dude doubting himself after a long hiatus, you have red hot face the rock and you have the wwe belt still meaning something. The promo they did with jr when Stone Cold tells the rock that he needed the wwf belt more than anything he could think of is great.

Of course the Mcmahons and HHH inserted themselves into the thing and all went to crap.

I think that Austin himself doesnt like his heel turn too much these days?

Also enough with the Ronda crap already, this company is loving pathetic.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 7, 2017

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I think he's on record as liking the heel turn creatively, but thought it was terrible for the business, and Austin mainly thinks in business terms.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DoctorGonzo posted:

the Mcmahons and HHH inserted themselves into the thing and all went to crap.

wwe.txt

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Liquid Communism posted:

Now there's a thing. Can we pay enough to get Ted DiBiase to commission Smackdown? He's 10 years younger than Vince.

DiBiase would also make perfect sense as a Commissioner. He loves to make money and has a lot of money, so every move he makes could be driven by money and not personal bias.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Phenix Rising posted:

DiBiase would also make perfect sense as a Commissioner. He loves to make money and has a lot of money, so every move he makes could be driven by money and not personal bias.

best for business, you could say?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Phenix Rising posted:

Plus the Return of Virgil.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Blasmeister posted:

best for business, you could say?

Yes, but in a legit way driven only by the allure of making more money and not some bullshit McMahon vendetta feud.

Von Linus posted:

Plus the Return of Virgil.

Let's not get crazy now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Phenix Rising posted:

Ted loves God now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

I think that Austin himself doesnt like his heel turn too much these days?
He thinks the whole thing was a mistake

You're right the build-up to WM17 was great and set the whole thing up perfectly. Just, even desperate Austin should not have turned into the heel he became.

• Locked thread