Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

brand engager posted:

Is there a healing weapon with range like the cannon?

The Blitzball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ghostinmyshell posted:

You know when you sit down and look at the blade affinity unlocks you enter a new kind of time sucking black hole.

Also does anyone know what they mean when one says get X out of y collectibles list. Where is this list? I’m blind.

I finally got into the bottom of the giant gently caress all staircase on Titan 3 via whirlpool. It’s neat but a little let down.

They mean the collectibles tab in the item list. Basically anything from collection points and salvaging. The blades that have that requirement are asking for a specific item to loot.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This thread should probably get clued in to these great little essays that the developers have been putting out. This one is really interesting, as it explains why they made Rex the main character and how his design developed. They've done a few of these that show a lot of insight into the game development process.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/xenoblade-chronicles-2-message-from-director-takahashi

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Holy crap, I just got to an enemy in the abandoned factory, after you lose poppy as your tank who kills me in seconds, after the rest of the area being a little frustrating but not that difficult. It's not even his knockdown move, he just pokes me with his spear five times for over a thousand damage.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Am I this stupid or is it normal to wander around for hours not knowing where to go to progress the story at all? (Start of Ch.3)

Following the arrow isn't helping

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 7, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I just beat chapter 3 so Rex and Nia are about to get awesome and Tora is still useless. What's the best way to ensure Rex or Nia can build up a level 3 (after starting a level 1 combo) before the special time expires?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

voltcatfish posted:

Am I this stupid or is it normal to wander around for hours not knowing where to go to progress the story at all? (Start of Ch.3)

If your lost use fast travel to pinpoint were you got to go.

It's map is way more useful

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DalaranJ posted:

I just beat chapter 3 so Rex and Nia are about to get awesome and Tora is still useless. What's the best way to ensure Rex or Nia can build up a level 3 (after starting a level 1 combo) before the special time expires?

Get Rex a second pouch slot. Give him a sweets item that recharges his artes faster. Give everyone an instrument that recharges specials faster. Rex then becomes able to more or less infinitely spam attacks and charge up specials incredibly fast.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The animations are just as bad as the original xbc. Already glad I bought this game.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

DalaranJ posted:

If you can get to the menu you can skip travel out. If not, well, the game does not auto save at all, bewilderingly.

I learned this recently when the game straight up crashed a little bit after getting to Mor Ardain.

Save often!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

If you mean the very beginning of the chapter, you wanna head north of Traveler's Resting Tree a bit, past some monkeys that should be around your level (Maybe 11-15ish, and not like 40 or whatever), and then eventually you'll find the Greatspine Boundary area and it should be pretty straightforward from there.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 7, 2017

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is there a way to turn off the combat chatter? There's a "battle narration" setting in the sound menu, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything.

I'm so loving sick of hearing Tora go "MEH MEH MEH" all the time that I'm beelining through chapter 3 until I get another driver I can swap him out with.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

404notfound posted:

Is there a way to turn off the combat chatter? There's a "battle narration" setting in the sound menu, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do anything.

I'm so loving sick of hearing Tora go "MEH MEH MEH" all the time that I'm beelining through chapter 3 until I get another driver I can swap him out with.

You aren't getting another driver for quite a while.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

404notfound posted:

I'm not sure who even came up with that meh meh stuff, it isn't really in the japanese dialouge at all. They just say "mo" at the end of sentences. They also don't say poo poo like "dadapon"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm not sure who even came up with that meh meh stuff, it isn't really in the japanese dialouge at all. They just say "mo" at the end of sentences. They also don't say poo poo like "dadapon"

They've talked like that since the original Xenoblade Chronicles. I assume there's a localization bible for the Nopon floating around Nintendo EU somewhere.

I actually like the way they talk, just because it gives them a bit more general character in English beyond "Mascot Character Race".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I opened 50 boxes on the last party member and didn't get a single rare :shepface:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Oh my god Rex when someone tells you they love you don't say "I love all you guys." :downs:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I opened 50 boxes on the last party member and didn't get a single rare :shepface:

Still no Kos-Mos but I'm up to like nine or ten rares total I think.

Just preparing me for Overwatch holiday boxes, really. Come at me, game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also there's a really pointless mechanic introduced in chapter 7?

Serious spoilers

Nia's unique blade mechanics are weird as hell. Did Rex really need another unique blade weapon with 0 exp that requires you to forgo your only healer party member?

Like why would you ever put Nia in blade form willingly?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Dadapon’s cumcums

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This thread should probably get clued in to these great little essays that the developers have been putting out. This one is really interesting, as it explains why they made Rex the main character and how his design developed. They've done a few of these that show a lot of insight into the game development process.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/xenoblade-chronicles-2-message-from-director-takahashi

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread before, but this dev essay came with an imo interesting game tip.

quote:

Even the valuable Legendary Core Crystals will be dropped in abundance if you Launch a unique monster of level 100 or greater and then Smash them down.

Legendary cores are always supposed to drops rares IIRC?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sam Faust posted:

Legendary cores are always supposed to drops rares IIRC?

Nooope. Got a common out of the one in the chest at Olethro Ruins.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

60 Normal, 11 Rare, 1 Legendary: 0 rares. This has got to be some of the most legendary bad luck I've *ever* seen :sigh:

I wanna be happy with story progression but that actually hurts me.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Zore posted:

Also there's a really pointless mechanic introduced in chapter 7?

Serious spoilers

Nia's unique blade mechanics are weird as hell. Did Rex really need another unique blade weapon with 0 exp that requires you to forgo your only healer party member?

Like why would you ever put Nia in blade form willingly?

Because it lets you run Best Comp of Rex, Zeke, and Do-rag in the end/postgame after you get your affinity up. But yeah unless you want to take an extended break from story progress right after finishing Elpys to grind affinity, stick with driver mode.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Now that I have 4 and 3 blades on Rex and Nia I feel like I shouldn't open any more cores. Knowing that I'll be getting more drivers later on and that the blades are permanently attached is really frustrating.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Shyfted One posted:

Now that I have 4 and 3 blades on Rex and Nia I feel like I shouldn't open any more cores. Knowing that I'll be getting more drivers later on and that the blades are permanently attached is really frustrating.

I wouldn’t bother saving most core crystals. The common ones are everywhere, and if you overkill enemies you end up with more than you know what to do with. If you’re doing scavenging at all you’ll need to burn off all your extra boosters too.

Plus you’ll need a bunch for the mercenaries stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, I'm in Chapter 7 and where the gently caress am I meant to go to progress along The Cliffs of Morytha? They just seem to end, I cannot figure out how to get across.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I wouldn’t bother saving most core crystals. The common ones are everywhere, and if you overkill enemies you end up with more than you know what to do with. If you’re doing scavenging at all you’ll need to burn off all your extra boosters too.

Plus you’ll need a bunch for the mercenaries stuff.

I should have specified rare blades. I have a bunch of common blades. But I don't want to risk attaching a rare blade that would be better suited on another driver.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone else feel like there's really bad pacing in terms of scaling mob levels around chapter 6 and 7? I'm like 6-10 levels higher than all the trash and I have many levels of bonus exp left over.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
So apparently you can release rare blades and resummon them from cores on new drivers. That's not an elegant solution, but that does free me up to just keep opening cores. Later in the game if I really wanted a certain driver/blades setup then I could do that.

Time to open some more cores.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

So apparently you can release rare blades and resummon them from cores on new drivers. That's not an elegant solution, but that does free me up to just keep opening cores. Later in the game if I really wanted a certain driver/blades setup then I could do that.

Time to open some more cores.

Yeah grinding 10 hours for a chance to get a specific blade combo seems great

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

You know, I’m kinda happy with the blades I have so far. I got all TNK blades on No.4, I got all HLR on Nia and I got some pretty good ATK on Rex. There’s a few I’d like to change around but those drat items are so hard to come by. I have I think around twelve rares and I admittedly don’t change them around TOO much.

I feel like I’m both blessing and cursing myself because I found a setup that really works for me but at the same time around half of my rare blades barely get any use (if any at all) beyond merc missions.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like this game is going to eventually get an unfair reputation of being grindy because it seems like it's gonna end up with a combination of people that looked in a wiki and decided which blades they "have" to have and then also people that refuse to engage with the battle system and just think they need to fight every enemy for 35 minutes using auto attacks and uncanceled skills.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Andrast posted:

Yeah grinding 10 hours for a chance to get a specific blade combo seems great

Well, based on the directors comments it seems there is a good source of legendary cores in late/post-game (from driver comboing lv100+ monsters), and by that time if you've been opening cores you'll almost assuredly have a significant portion of the rare blade roster on SOMEONE, which significantly reduces the available rare pool when you release/re-summon on another character, since you can't get dupes. So it seems like it won't be too big of a deal to get everyone kitted out with whatever blade combos you want, which tbh is pretty much the kind of post-game optimization stuff I was expecting from a game like this.

edit: Also being able to get Overdrives from maxing driver affinities (and possibly rare blade affinities too?) helps speed that process along as well.

cathead fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 7, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The skill tree upgrade that lets you cancel driver skills is a game changer. You can instantly get to level three by just cancelling all your skills into a new blade and then cancelling all their skills into each other since they're instantly charged. The further I get the more I love this system

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I really liked X. Wonky story and battle system and all (RAJON RONDO - STARFALL BLADE :hist101: ). How does this compare? Is the exploration as fun?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

The skill tree upgrade that lets you cancel driver skills is a game changer. You can instantly get to level three by just cancelling all your skills into a new blade and then cancelling all their skills into each other since they're instantly charged. The further I get the more I love this system

Yeah I don't think it was a good decision to make that a tier 2 , 3000 WP skill. I started saving up for it the minute I saw the word "cancel"but if someone put it off for other stuff too long they'd be missing out on a lot of fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That whole tree in general progresses pretty slowly but I imagine this is like a 80 hour game so I haven't minded

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I hope I'll get used to it over the course of the game, but currently I find it literally impossible to pay attention to all the factors of battle at once. I was fighting a unique monster earlier (sniping something? a bird at the left side of Gormott) who kept getting reinforcements randomly and it was infuriating me. Then after I finally won I realized that it probably has an art that calls for allies but I kept missing it because, as said, I absolutely can't catch all of the information available. If I'm focused on efficient combos I keep forgetting about managing health and vice versa.

Not like the game requires any mastery of this level yet at all, but the feeling I get that I'm just randomly flailing around during battle most of the time is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

In Training posted:

That whole tree in general progresses pretty slowly but I imagine this is like a 80 hour game so I haven't minded

I think you get a ton more points if you overkill. Which is another way this game will seem like a drag to the guy that refuses to engage in systems and just tries to beat the game by killing wolves until they are level 99