Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

i'm on pc so i'm owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Minrad posted:

it's only been out on pc for a month and a lot of people are very busy in november, between finals, holidays, etc. its not that surprising that some people haven't had time to do it.

That's a fair point. Despite playing on both PS4 and PC, I somehow forgot that the PC version came out a month later.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
imagine being such a fart huffing degenerate you’d be willing to lie about caring about achievements to get your 60 dollars back

like, who are these people? if I buy a game and it ends up lovely, I shrug and think ‘well, that blows’. it’s the cost of a dinner at a mid-tier chain restaurant and people act like they’re persecuted minorities crushed under bungie’s heel

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Weekly weapon quest?

and this concentrated radiolarian cluster does not want to drop for me.

As far as I can tell, the concentrated version doesn't drop. You trade 10 of the green ones to brother Vance on Mercury for one blue one.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
they drop, they’re just rare.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

DrNutt posted:

That's a fair point. Despite playing on both PS4 and PC, I somehow forgot that the PC version came out a month later.

You had a reasonable way to look at it. The only playerbase affected are those who haven't done prestige nor gotten the expansion, but don't care enough to get the expansion, but care enough to do the prestige. Probably a small %.

However, this comes out only a week after the experience throttling debacle.
Someone earlier aptly put it that Bungie is cashing in goodwill they haven't earned. So the entire playerbase, not just those affected, will jump down their throats for yet another shady decision.

It's also still just an incredibly lovely thing to do in general. :shrug:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

imagine being such a fart huffing degenerate you’d be willing to lie about caring about achievements to get your 60 dollars back

like, who are these people? if I buy a game and it ends up lovely, I shrug and think ‘well, that blows’. it’s the cost of a dinner at a mid-tier chain restaurant and people act like they’re persecuted minorities crushed under bungie’s heel

I mean, it is supremely lovely that they took two game modes that are in Destiny 2 vanilla and locked you out of them unless you buy the xpac. For no real reason, either. There's nothing new added to them except the new strikes, and they can clearly already "hide" certain maps from the playlists of people who don't have access since the PS4 version has an extra strike and crucible map.

The lack of content is annoying, but I enjoyed the playthrough, new maps and strikes, new guns are fun. If Warmind is equally underwhelming in terms of content and/or nothing new is added along the way, then I just won't buy the next expansion pass or whatever.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
bungie created halos 1, 2, and reach, and age of triumph, and as such have a nearly unlimited supply of goodwill from me

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm trying to figure out what new lore/story stuff is in the CoO story bit.

Uh... The Vex turned Mercury into a planet-sized simulation mind? The Vex were present on Mercury when the Traveler was turning it into a garden world? The Vex have a Panoptes super-mind which is trying to create a future where Light and Dark have been eliminated (by killing all life and turning the galaxy cold)? That's what Osiris is trying to stop and even after you wipe out Panoptes he's worried that the Vex'll figure out another way to do it. Ikora Rey is strong enough to brute force open the pathway? Osiris seemed to imply at one point that the Traveler waking up was a bad sign.

It felt like there was very little to chew on. And, for what the story was, there sure was a lot of running back and forth to find things which didn't really advance the plot.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
im happy to give them lots of leeway because i also have suffered incredible brain damage from playinh halo games my entire childhood

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

So the Red Legion was tearing up Mercury to use it as fuel to destroy the sun and the Vex just...didn't care?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Communist Walrus posted:

So the Red Legion was tearing up Mercury to use it as fuel to destroy the sun and the Vex just...didn't care?

That was my thought too. But given that the Vex seem to able to compute and simulate whole timelines, maybe they weren't concerned?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Communist Walrus posted:

You can even see the debris field still trailing off towards the Almighty!

But it looks like the implication of the Infinite Forest is that the Vex win in the end anyway and Mercury is still intact so it's likely they simulated that humanity had a good chance of saving the solar system from being destroyed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh thank RNJesus, I got the Dune runners immediately before running my Titan through the expansion story. I was afraid of heading through all that walking and Sparrow disabled giant empty fields and hallways without a sprint buff.

EDIT: Which makes the fact my first instant summon Sparrow is from an expansion engram that much more of a punchline while running the story content. If one that looks like an old model, my fancy one is 150 and no instant :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 7, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

treizebee posted:

You had a reasonable way to look at it. The only playerbase affected are those who haven't done prestige nor gotten the expansion, but don't care enough to get the expansion, but care enough to do the prestige. Probably a small %.

However, this comes out only a week after the experience throttling debacle.
Someone earlier aptly put it that Bungie is cashing in goodwill they haven't earned. So the entire playerbase, not just those affected, will jump down their throats for yet another shady decision.

It's also still just an incredibly lovely thing to do in general. :shrug:

TBH I actually thought the exp thing was even smaller potatoes because a) all that stuff was cosmetic b) you could get 9 easy with three max level chars a week, I considered that fairly generous and if I got a 10th or 11th I considered it a nice bonus and c) if you are trying to grind more than that and getting upset at Bungie, please go get some pills to fix the chemical imbalances in your brain.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Milky Moor posted:

I'm trying to figure out what new lore/story stuff is in the CoO story bit.

Uh... The Vex turned Mercury into a planet-sized simulation mind? The Vex were present on Mercury when the Traveler was turning it into a garden world? The Vex have a Panoptes super-mind which is trying to create a future where Light and Dark have been eliminated (by killing all life and turning the galaxy cold)? That's what Osiris is trying to stop and even after you wipe out Panoptes he's worried that the Vex'll figure out another way to do it. Ikora Rey is strong enough to brute force open the pathway? Osiris seemed to imply at one point that the Traveler waking up was a bad sign.

It felt like there was very little to chew on. And, for what the story was, there sure was a lot of running back and forth to find things which didn't really advance the plot.

I got more the impression that Osiris was hinting that there may be unforseen consequences to the awakened Traveler, not that it was necessarily a bad thing. Probably a bit of foreshadowing for the spooky triangle ships that don't correspond to any of the current enemy factions.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Communist Walrus posted:

That's cause they knew we'd save the day! :haw:

Now as to why they didn't see us ruining their plans...hmm...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I got more the impression that Osiris was hinting that there may be unforseen consequences to the awakened Traveler, not that it was necessarily a bad thing. Probably a bit of foreshadowing for the spooky triangle ships that don't correspond to any of the current enemy factions.

Well, I mean, the Traveler awakening seemed to alert those ships (the Darkness?)

Destiny 2 gave me the distinct impression that the Traveler was playing possum.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Milky Moor posted:

Well, I mean, the Traveler awakening seemed to alert those ships (the Darkness?)

Destiny 2 gave me the distinct impression that the Traveler was playing possum.

Yeah no that's what I mean, like the Traveler being awake is obviously a good thing in that hey, Golden Age 2.0 (though Bungie is doing piss all to actually show what that looks like and we're relying on NPCs saying "guardian 'tis another golden age!") but also serves as a beacon to some big bads.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I thought the whole point of the Vex's beef with the guardians (besides us not being Vex) was that Guardians being immortal was essentially impossible to predict. So they would come up with a perfect strategy only for the Guardians to keep loving it up because "lol save scum"

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

post itt every time you make a sweet-rear end shoulder charge

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OxySnake posted:

I thought the whole point of the Vex's beef with the guardians (besides us not being Vex) was that Guardians being immortal was essentially impossible to predict. So they would come up with a perfect strategy only for the Guardians to keep loving it up because "lol save scum"

Yeah. I find it weird the Vex want to fight us given that despite our unpredictability we're the only ones capable of taking down their enemies due to save states.

This series does a lot of weird and inconsistent things with its enemies. I wish General Batutta was still writing lore for them.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah. I find it weird the Vex want to fight us given that despite our unpredictability we're the only ones capable of taking down their enemies due to save states.

This series does a lot of weird and inconsistent things with its enemies. I wish General Batutta was still writing lore for them.

I guess the only thing that came to mind was the Infinite Forest being a big enough supercomputer to even account for guardians being immortal?

But even then the story makes it looks like that isn't the case.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

trying so hard to monetize your game that you bully people into buying a $20 expansion by giving them cause for a $60+ refund is a god tier fuckup. it's more entertaining than the dlc.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

UGH I'm so sick of half-baked games getting released /before/ they're ready.

-=Bungi eshould know better..=-

LOOK at this shameful stuff

They didn't even clean up the DEFAULT TEXTURES off the level geometry uuuuuuuuuuuuugh:

literally unaplayable!!!:

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Wrap it up boys and girl.

See ya in Density 3. This game failed.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, destiny is not a perfect game by any means, but honestly i’d be hard pressed to describe it (or CoO) as ‘bad’, so a lot of the Reddit complaints are so wildly overblown that it’s hard to take them seriously even if they are sensible complaints at their core

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

On the real, though, I've noticed that the environments in Curse of Osiris are *much* larger feeling than the ones from the Vanilla planets, even though I guess Mercury is tiny:

This one's from the adventure (just an adventure, too!) where you go disrupt the Fallen simulation in the Forest. Huge Arecibo antenna array or whatever the Vex are doing here:

On that mission where you go put your fist through the Nessus crypto-mind or whatever, I even realized I'd forgotten how tall The Tangle was.
I used my Scout rifle MUCH more frequently, instead of just bowling through everything with Uriel's. I like this change of engagement range, and feel it portends good things:

(This top image is the one where I realized I was going to have to switch to my Scout, you can tell.)

I also found myself thinking, "Wow, I wish this was a Crucible map" at most points through campaign, especially the fourth, Mars-ish palletted image above, and this one in the Gardener's Spire. The Spire in particular would be some super fun tight-but-vertical shootmans if you had a bunch of jump pads around:

Imagine, Crucible in the Infinite Forest tho. Fighting on a changing landscape... the spawn points would probably be hell on the map team.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You were supposed to fight stuff there? I just scooted past everything on my sparrow whenever I could summon it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Spanish Manlove posted:

You were supposed to fight stuff there? I just scooted past everything on my sparrow whenever I could summon it.

I mean yeah same, but I felt compelled to kill a few fidget spinners

I'd like to retire to here btw, it seems like the weather is nice and they had a cool beach:

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
the pre-vex mercury was one of the best looking areas and I wish it was its own social space or something I'd just hang out there. People keep mentioning D3 rifts for the Infinite Forest but I got more of a diablo 2 arcane sanctuary vibe from it, sucks that it's not real proc-gen

are the titan overshield boots worth it at all in pvp? I notice I get the blue bar when I spawn but do they actually give any extra protection or should I be using something else..

edit: favorite terrible CoO writing "the infinite forest....it's huge!"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Canadian Surf Club posted:

edit: favorite terrible CoO writing "the infinite forest....it's huge!"

My favorite bit was "It took Osiris centuries to open this gate -- but we don't have that much time." And then Ikora just forces it open with a purple laser beam and I don't know but it might've been nice if she had done that earlier?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't care if it makes no narrative sense, get Morena Baccarin to re-record all the other Ghost lines and have Sagira as a permanent voice option

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ghost is an annoying nerd and not in the fun way. I guess that's a consequence of the MMO side of things, where the Ghost needs to be this everyman character but the only times I find him entertaining is when, like, Failsafe rips into him during the Nessus Strike and such.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 3, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

the good fax machine posted:

Ghost would be 1000000000x more tolerable... if it were still Dinklebot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Milky Moor posted:

Ghost is an annoying nerd and not in the fun way. I guess that's a consequence of the MMO side of things, where the Ghost needs to be this everyman character but the only times I find him entertaining is when, like, Failsafe rips into him during the Nessus Strike and such.

I would actually pay cash money for an option to download Failsafe into your Ghost instead. They're the best.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

My favorite bit was "It took Osiris centuries to open this gate -- but we don't have that much time." And then Ikora just forces it open with a purple laser beam and I don't know but it might've been nice if she had done that earlier?

The most irritating part of that quest is that the next steps are travel from Mercury to the tower where you run all the way to Ikora where you get a single line of text and then you get to go straight back to Mercury. Couldn't we just send her a space email and tell her to meet us on Mercury?

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Guys, I thought "CoO" stood for "cost of ownership" this whole time.

I feel like an idiot, but it's kind of a fitting acronym...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think the titan looks better with it though

Holy fuuuuck i need this stuff :vince: Goddamn that is dope as hell.

• Locked thread