Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Butter Hole posted:

Guys, I thought "CoO" stood for "cost of ownership" this whole time.

I feel like an idiot, but it's kind of a fitting acronym...

Destiny 2: Curse of Ownership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kyrosiris posted:

I would actually pay cash money for an option to download Failsafe into your Ghost instead. They're the best.

If it meant that Failsafe would be talking to herself on all Failsafe missions, :same:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Dear bungo,

This Forest set piece would make a neat Crucible map if scaled up, side-balanced(?) and elaborated on.
Maybe situated inside a large cave, with some neat fog or vex milk geysers to conveniently obscure particular long lines of sight depending on how it scaled

This may just be the part of me talking that enjoys Waldo World Arena on net gather though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sivlan posted:

There's an infinite forest guys, it's got 3 randomized sections and a choices of one of 4 set pieces at the end. Also it can be one of four factions you fight.

So that 4 x 3 P 3 x 4 = 4 x 6 x 4 = 96 different forest variations holy poo poo infinity is really small

I'm just thinking back to this post and LOLlin' my loving rear end off. I read this and was like "yeah i'd better temper my expectations"

^^ Also there definitely is a Fields of Glass PvP map, have you not played Osiris PvP yet?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Okay it turns out if you paint the Mechanos Crown with the Mercury Prophetic shader it turns into a god drat flashlight.

I'm in love :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If it meant that Failsafe would be talking to herself on all Failsafe missions, :same:

Holy poo poo, I hadn't even considered that. That would be incredible. :allears:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm just thinking back to this post and LOLlin' my loving rear end off. I read this and was like "yeah i'd better temper my expectations"

^^ Also there definitely is a Fields of Glass PvP map, have you not played Osiris PvP yet?

lets not criticize others for not clicking on Osiris playlist with Lenses running rampant

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
where do you get one of those lenses anyway

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

RNG

So in my case, the first purple engram I got in CoO

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Milky Moor posted:

I got one from my clan XP engram lol

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This Past Mercury area on Bug in the System would be extremely awesome to Shaxx around in too.
Another circular arena, pretty large; you could make the walls on this infinitely high and change it to mazed corridor-engagements outside the center pylon instead of an open-field/trenches with jetpacks style thing:

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I just picked up Destiny 2 and now I have the biggest mental block on picking a class. Someone tell me which class to play.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Emergency posted:

I just picked up Destiny 2 and now I have the biggest mental block on picking a class. Someone tell me which class to play.

Titan if you like being the Master Chief.
Warlock if you like being a space wizard.
Hunter if you like being a useless piece of poo poo.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

All of them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Warlocks and Titans are cool. I don't like Hunters, their class ability is kind of lame and in group situations they don't really help others

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The hunter dodge is really selfish, yes, and the other classes have great tools for fixing your mistakes. But those abilities are crutches. I've seen lots of people playing the other classes make dumb decisions in crucible because they rely on their wall or stop to heal in a rift. Play a hunter if you want to get used to not making mistakes in the first place. It's the bootstraps class.

Disclaimer: I play a hunter.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eventually you will want one of each as that really helps your overall upgrade speed. I started with Hunter because they have capes and hey gunslinger archetype right?

The only thing I actually HATE about Hunters is their jumps. Hunter jumping is where things always go very wrong for me with the physics engine. Whoops I grazed a wall, time to catapult at a 90 degree angle.

Plus they finally fixed their pants not giving you recovery, so playing hunter through the plot is in a much better place at surviving being shot at. Your cooldown ability dodge roll does not actually dodge anything, you see. And even the one that turns you invisible won't save you when it's enemies spamming AoE shots in your general direction regardless.

Just don't take the "Six Shooter" skill from the top Gunslinger tree until there is confrimation it got a damage fix to go with it's timer fix. See, Six Shooter is a permanent no take backs change do your super with the top tree (The fun one with explosive throwing knives) that gives you +3 more shots of your super, but you had next to no time to use them previously. They recently buffed the duration.

However, the REAL problem with it, was the unspoken damage nerf if you took six shooter. There are gifs floating around where the super couldn't even kill trash mobs if you took six shooter. So while"They'll fix it, stop complaining!" has been quite a common phrase, I must have overlooked any statements confirming if they increased it's damage on top.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The hunter dodge is really selfish, yes, and the other classes have great tools for fixing your mistakes. But those abilities are crutches. I've seen lots of people playing the other classes make dumb decisions in crucible because they rely on their wall or stop to heal in a rift. Play a hunter if you want to get used to not making mistakes in the first place. It's the bootstraps class.

I prefer Chaos Warlock most, because they have the biggest grenade kaboom in the game. But I play Stormcaller in PvP and Strike missions most of all because then my rift will actually give my teamates a buff that requires them to stand inside a tiny circle for an hour :shobon:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Got my first Legendary emote today!

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Thanks for the replies to my problems picking a class. They were not really all that helpful - beside the point that I'll be playing all of them at some point. I guess I'll go with my gut and start with a robot space wizard.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Alternately, put a rift up because your team is running around together and watch your combined arc souls kill off the enemy team without firing a single bullet.

Hunter's a lone-wolf PvP assault/sneak class, Titan's a solidly defensive PvE class, Warlock's a health-regenerating magical PvP and PvE beast, but they all have some kind of exotic or skill tree that alters their base abilities slightly towards other classes. Except Hunter, which can... make you kinda invisible for a couple seconds? I dunno, I don't pay attention to Hunter because I'm not into PvP.

Edit: Another way of putting it is that in the raid, the Hunter never has a special job while the Titan and Warlock do. Further pushing the "lone wolf" nature of the Hunter.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 7, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Waffle House posted:

This Past Mercury area on Bug in the System would be extremely awesome to Shaxx around in too.
Another circular arena, pretty large; you could make the walls on this infinitely high and change it to mazed corridor-engagements outside the center pylon instead of an open-field/trenches with jetpacks style thing:

One of th 3 pvp maps is on past mercury and is pretty nice.

Unfortunally is too open and the geometry don't make much sense, so is a flanking / team firing gangfest. It means is the map where I lost.

I think everyone agree here, we love how purty is past mercury.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Tei posted:

One of th 3 pvp maps is on past mercury and is pretty nice.

Unfortunally is too open and the geometry don't make much sense, so is a flanking / team firing gangfest. It means is the map where I lost.

I think everyone agree here, we love how purty is past mercury.
That past mercury PvP map is amazing once you and your team figure it out and the other team hasn't. I've gotten so many kills just putting grenades in the right corners and aiming my Halfdan down a hallway.

I still have no idea why they didn't allow the open sandbox part of Mercury to be split between past, present, and future. It completely betrays how cool of a concept the infinite forest is.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thanks for the replies to my problems picking a class. They were not really all that helpful - beside the point that I'll be playing all of them at some point. I guess I'll go with my gut and start with a robot space wizard.
Warlock is the most well rounded for having a good time through the story content, I feel.

Titan in itself is super fun, but it's supers are often very frustrating against story content bosses because whoopsie doodle it's time for another boss that's either floating above you, or spams knockbacks. When two out of three subtypes having melee mode supers. While the shortest range warlock super is going full Palpatine.

Speaking of Melee supers (and swords). I really wish they triggered the basic melee passives in PvE. I actually use the lower tree for Striker instead of the ever popular two grenades tree. There is also a Sentinil skill that gives a small heal on regular melee kills.

So I'm always feeling it when I bring out a sword or bust out my super, and my survivability goes down because now I'm not kicking in my health regen with every single kill as adds swarm the boss shooting me in the face while I punch and ground pound them.

Warlock's Devour buff will still count chopping people in half with a sword, but it can be actively detrimental for me to use a sword against trash with my titan instead of my bare hands sometimes :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 7, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For the story stuff, Devourlock makes already easy content into a cakewalk.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Thanks for the replies to my problems picking a class. They were not really all that helpful

destiny_thread.txt

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For real just go what looks nice to you, the vast bulk of the game will play the same except for jumps because everybody's powers have long enough cooldowns that you'll use them once, maybe twice a fight.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

One day you will realise that no matter which class you pick, you will always be an undying space wizard. What you're essentially choosing is the flavour! :science:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think the titan looks better with it though

I want this armor. How do I go about making that happen?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Titan looks like Iron Man, starts off with a Luke Cage subclass. You get Captain America next, then Thor last.

Hunter looks like Bobbert Fett, starts off as a Star Wars light sword guy, turns into Overwatch McCree next, then Hawkeye last.

I haven't played Warlock yet but he's probably different periods of David Bowie but with guns.

Each class gets the same guns to use, so shooting is the same.

Grenades differ, class abilities differ.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nickhimself posted:

I want this armor. How do I go about making that happen?

Iron Banner for the head and arms, Dead Orbit for the pants, not sure what the mark is, probably also DO.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

nickhimself posted:

Titan looks like Iron Man, starts off with a Luke Cage subclass. You get Captain America next, then Thor last.

Hunter looks like Bobbert Fett, starts off as a Star Wars light sword guy, turns into Overwatch McCree next, then Hawkeye last.

I haven't played Warlock yet but he's probably different periods of David Bowie but with guns.

Each class gets the same guns to use, so shooting is the same.

Grenades differ, class abilities differ.

Warlock gets to be Sheev 'The Senate' Palpatine at some point.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Is mobius quiver a mistake to take still or is that alright now?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Orv posted:

Iron Banner for the head and arms, Dead Orbit for the pants, not sure what the mark is, probably also DO.

Aww, PvP gates are the worst gates

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Also let me tell you something about my boy Prometheus Lens and the new lucky pants.

You can swap to Prometheus Lens and reload your Extended Mag Better Devils in about 2 seconds while still killing dudes! And the Prometheus lens reloads itself as it kills people, so it doesn't run out of ammo very quickly! And if you took practice makes perfect you can watch your golden gun recharging like you're standing on a well of light!

That is all.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Do you need the expansion to progress past 20/305? My luminous are still 300. It would be funny if I spent $60 on a game that turned into a demo version after a month. Ha... ha.

Also, laugh at me cause I thought the engram decoder guy was bugged out after the update and was giving me tons of free legendary engrams but I was in fact spending all my shards.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

More mechanical stuff -

1) Warlock - went from my least played class in D2 to my main. One of the Voidwalker skill trees gives you a melee ability that triggers health/shield recovery whenever you kill an enemy, and it refreshes as long as you keep killing. You can also consume your grenade to give the same effect in a pinch. Additionally, you can drop a ring on the floor that gives you and your fireteam health regen when standing in it (or extra damage, but that tends to be more specialized for raids and whatnot). Class armor generally biases towards Recovery as well (which is not as dominant after Osiris released this week but is still king). The jump is the trickiest part - unlike the other classes where the 2nd jump should be done at the apex of the first jump, it's usually best to double tap jump immediately. I like Burst for the jump options in PvE, Blink for PvP. Warlock is shockingly good atm and likely will remain so for at least the rest of Season 2.

2) Titan - better in D2 now that Striker is viable and in Osiris since Sunbreaker was buffed a bit. Biases towards pure Resilience (damage reduction) than Recovery. Can retain some regen and the gap at the lower end has closed with Osiris. If you like auto rifles, imo this is the class to play - the Actium War Rig (Exotic chest, you can get it in the vanilla campaign) auto-loads spent AR ammo as long as the AR is the active weapon. Combine this with Sweet Business (Exotic AR, basically a gatling gun) and you'll shred pretty much everything. Jump is more naturally intuitive than Warlock's, and their Barrier is nice in some situations, but they have fewer healing options than Warlock.

3) Hunter - more specialized and less forgiving than the other two classes, since their armor biases towards Mobility. Nightstalker with Orpheus Rig (Exotic pants, gotta get 'em thru RNG) is fireteam friendly, since they control crowds and generate orbs. The invis grenade is also handy in some situations, and Foetracker remains one of the best PvP Exotics (wall hax). Easily the most fragile of the three classes, however, and they don't bring as much party utility as the other two (Chains of Woe is nice for DPS phases, but it's locked to a lovely Super and arguably loses out to the invis grenade/extra damage/crowd control/orbs that Nightstalkers bring).

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the really good OP, I picked this up a few weeks back and bounced off it hard. Your OP is making me want to give it another shot.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Good choice.

Take the time in the early game areas to get a feel for the warlock's double jump because this game has several platforming sections for some drat reason. It works best if you activate it almost immediately after jumping (essentially a double click) instead of the more traditional "tap at the peak of your jump to jump again" double jump in like every single other game with a double jump. Tap a third time to cancel the glide and fall back to the ground.

That should help you out, at least until you switch up skills later to the blink jump and just completely gently caress yourself every drat time because it works nothing like what you are used to, especially when you jump off Artifact's Edge on Nessus and fall damage KO yourself thanks to blinking too drat high when you expected to just kind of float down. gently caress blink jump.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

RNG

So in my case, the first purple engram I got in CoO

I kind of feel that this is the most disappointing bit of the Destiny loot system. It would be much better if in addition to pure engram RNG each item had a few specific areas or conditions where it was much more likely to drop. At least then you could say "if you want an Old Fashioned, go fight yellow bar enemies around the Sludge in the EDZ" or something. Maybe that would make lost sectors more worthwhile.

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
I'm looking forward to fridays trials of the nine without a lens in my team. Gonna be fun as gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

quote:

Thanks for the replies to my problems picking a class. They were not really all that helpful

The class are not really very different. Other than the jump styles and the super (less). So pick the one that fancy you more how they jump (or the super you like more). Or pick hunter if you want to PvP and you are skilled.

• Locked thread