Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sandi’s Twitter: “Filming for ATV this week!”

So excited! After seeing “The Doll” and “The Eighth House” fail to see release, then paying to see “American Satan” only to discover she got cut from the film, Goons finally have assurance that we’ll get to see that multitalented superstar in an actual performance!

:chelseaeyeroll:

Combat Theory posted:

I woke up after a short night and saw xaerael say he doesn't believe the funding is possible.

I typed up a long answer about me and the citizens I know and about how nobody bought anything or even knows somebody who bought anything

Then I see G0RFs post. And I delete the self doxxing wall of text and decide I'll just go and grind some coffee and listen to this podcast.

Thank you G0RF

My pleasure, man. I am not sure I’d even recommend the full listen since their knowledge of the project is that of lay outsiders. They’re far enough removed from the Skeptics / Heretics / Haters / Trolls vs Believers / Evangelists / Zealots / Shills battles to seem ignorant of the memes and shibboleths that so quickly surface in discussions. They didn’t even realize that some ships cost three or four figures — which shows very quickly that they’re only barely in the loop of the business model.

They instead just seem like average gamers giving a hot take based on the data widely believed —
  • 5 years
  • $160+ million
  • Land Sales
  • Ship Sales
  • Game still stuck in Alpha and lacking any depth

Yet even only knowing those things, they are drawing the very obvious conclusions most can and should — if you spend this much money for 5 years and only have a buggy Alpha to show for it, something is horribly wrong. Out of the mouth of babes, as they say.

And of course something is wrong, and even backers see this. They have had to embrace increasingly convoluted retcons and disingenuous comparables to convince others and themselves that ”Uh, everything’s under control — situation normal.” At this point, the case for the prosecution is obvious and common-sensical while the defense’s case requires heroic suspensions of disbelief and Orwellian efforts at revisionism to even swallow. It’s just too much at this point. Too much has been spent too long for too little. It’s either by design (which maximizes revenues) or by incompetence (which minimizes hope) or by both (which maximizes :lol::lol::lol:)

So that’s what makes segments like that podcast interesting to me — they’re a tiny sample set from the profane masses, but their conclusions are as Goonish as anything here. Malfeasance and mismanagement are simply too compelling an explanation given the data, and no amount of glib show-banter can make the case for maintaining faith in the enterprise a reasonable alternative.

(All that said, you gotta believe!)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Stuff I found out during prize PMing.

Lots of you don't have platinum accounts /PM turned off. So, too bad? I guess.

Also, check your PMs.

I don't accept refunds. (Ironclad TOS and all)

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Let's be real: Platinum accounts, archives, etc. are just lowtax pulling a crobberts

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

If there ever was a song that pgabs needs to use it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIyibFd6WaA

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

no_recall posted:

Also, check your PMs.

pm ME!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Raskolnikov posted:

If there ever was a song that pgabs needs to use it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIyibFd6WaA

THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKIN’ ABOUT!

(Although truth be told, this version seems closer to the CIG spirit.)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:ohdear:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Don't worry, a new sale is around the corner. it's already been 3 days since the last one.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

G0RF posted:

THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKIN’ ABOUT!

(Although truth be told, this version seems closer to the CIG spirit.)

I can totes see some whale saying, at the end of all this poo poo: "Maybe next time?"

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Gosts posted:

Let's be real: Platinum accounts, archives, etc. are just lowtax pulling a crobberts

Well, at least those of us that pony up are fully aware all we're getting is a broken, dead gay comedy forum no matter how much we spend.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

ZenMaster posted:

Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Watched WTF for like 30 min. All he did was get in a ship, fly somewhere and land. Now, him and three other dudes are trying to spawn rovers but people have parked on the landing pads and the rovers that appear won't allow them inside and holy moly what is this game it's horrible.

Wait till there are 100 players waiting in a huge line to spawn rovers. lol

I remember when The Division launched (I'm a filthy console gamer)

the first thing you had to do in-game was check in at a computer terminal, in line with other players

UbiSoft didn't consider everything, so for at least several hours people just habbo-hoteled around the one and only place where you could get quests and equipment to start the game until they turned off collision detection there

The Division was released March of 2016

Star Citizen hasn't gotten that far yet

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Abuminable posted:

Well, at least those of us that pony up are fully aware all we're getting is a broken, dead gay comedy forum no matter how much we spend.

This dead gay comedy forum has been a prime source of entertainment for many years now.

This thread particularly, and its predecessors.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

no_recall posted:

This dead gay comedy forum has been a prime source of entertainment for many years now.

This thread particularly, and its predecessors.

I had to quit following the eve threads because of this. Soo much more comedy, yet the eve threads flew twice as fast. Worth every :10bux:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/207402787?t=49m20s

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I still struggle to comprehend just how loving insane these people are.

Like Grimlick or whatever the gently caress his name is.

Attacking other zealots because they had the audacity to quote the great Crobbler, showing the project started in 2011, not 2014 or 2016 or whatever the gently caress he wants to believe to try and justify this insane trainwreck.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL8-QY_kHe8

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's weird how square one is "these people are insane enough to spend thousands on jpegs of spaceships" and yet they still find new, inventive ways to come off as increasingly insane.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNIy_xCeWzc&t=96s

AP fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 7, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv-ocNay17s&t=19s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIy9TEltdzA&t=5s

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Unbelievable lol.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

no_recall posted:

Also, check your PMs.

You never responded to my PM, I already had the game you gave me I nominate the Agent for it since I know he dosn't have it on steam.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sandweed posted:

You never responded to my PM, I already had the game you gave me I nominate the Agent for it since I know he dosn't have it on steam.

Too busy being Santa! Will do!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qBy3sNK4nE&t=1130s

Nice meltdown commando

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is the experience of being a fresh out of college Star Citizen programmer

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX1KXXr56VU

I find this two "gameplay experiences" utterly similar.

Hmm

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Grand video, Grand Admiral.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgKcRhJCTzo&t=374s

:gary:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

this is why this mess isn't stopping anytime soon. backers think they are funding something different and special. doesn't matter if it takes longer or costs more, the end result is going to be worth it. they think because existing games are imperfect and they can see the imperfections games should be orders of magnitudes closer to perfection.

finally cr has come along and not only agrees with then but is going to give them what they believe they deserve, a game that actually does things right.

it isn't going to fail until something breaks that collective delusion and that isn't going to be an easy thing to do.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

FailureToReport posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

All the "It's PTU you loving retard, what don't you understand about that" comments now mean nothing!!!! Bwahahahahaha, Oh god this is so loving good.

Yeah, it is. I was actually in a chat session with an old industry contact of mine working on the project, and who tells me that as of last Friday, that was still the plan.

Much like how we watched (via my Discord) Evocati meltdown when they discovered that CIG was releasing 3.0 to PTU in such a lovely state (we all later found out why they did that), this appears to be precisely what they're going to do.

And he tells me that quite a large number of backers have paid the 10 bux to subscribe for access to the build. For a game they already backed. :laffo:

I am also hearing that SQ42 is probably off the table - again. But until I get additional confirmation, I'm not buying that because nobody knows for sure yet. Except that, just like in SC, everything is broken and there is no way they can do ANY sort of live play through of it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qBy3sNK4nE&t=3613s

:gary:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Consider this very common edge case: What if somebody else wants to walk through the door too? Is the door open in the opinion of their local simulation? Well maybe it's open on player1's local client, open on the server, but the server or network had a senior moment and the door_open(183) message didn't make it to player2's local client. So player2 sends a door_open(183) message to the server. If the server is authoritative it will say "nah bro, door's already open, ignoring your message" because the door is already open in the server's opinion. So now, from player2's perspective, sending a door_open(183) event doesn't do anything on their local simulation because the server rejects the event. You have to add some pretty clever code to resolve synchronization edge cases like this.

Could the server not simply check door 183, see that it's already open and send a door_open back to the client that wanted to open door 183, but not to anyone else? I'm trying to think of what possible downsides there would be to this.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Xaerael posted:

I just... don't even see how it's possible.

Believe the unbelievable.

It's pure bullshit and they've confirmed beyond any reasonable doubt, that the funding chart is pure bullshit.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Bofast posted:

Could the server not simply check door 183, see that it's already open and send a door_open back to the client that wanted to open door 183, but not to anyone else? I'm trying to think of what possible downsides there would be to this.

It could, but what if someone opened and closed the door? A->Open, B->Open (yay, it's open), A->Close, B->Move (wtf door is closed). As soon as you any non-trivial latency you get conflicting states, which can cause glitches, rubberbanding and all kinds of annoyance.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ahahaha. Maybe they are actually real masochists? That should explain a lot.

Like you're getting three frames a second in your chariot that doesn't let you see a loving thing, the chariot you spent a shitload of money on, after you decided that the cockpit view was fidelitious enough.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 7, 2017

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Looks like Fuzzy got The Rapist and Therapist mixed up again.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

trucutru posted:

Ahahaha. Maybe they are actually real masochists? That should explain a lot.

Like you're getting three frames a second in your chariot that doesn't let you see a loving thing, the chariot you spent a shitload of money on, after you decided that the cockpit view was fidelitious enough.

Watching them reminds me oh so loving much about how I got into coding and computer stuff in general. I played many games on my C64 when I was like six years old, typed some BASIC programs into it but never really understood what I was doing. Then my father first got a 286 where I played a poo poo ton of that "hit the other tank by calculating the wind and learning how to shoot balistically" (basically early Worms),but also never really got into much more than how to start a game. Two or three years later - my father having aquired a 486 - I picked up gaming magazine during holidays with a shareware version of Doom in it. I was so hooked by the pretty images I couldn't wait till we got home again and I could install that game.

Of course, it ran at something like 3 FPS, because I knew nothing about config.sys, autoexec.bat, highmen etc. pp. I quickly figured out that the map view actually ran smoothly, so I moved around in map view, until I heard gun shoots, switched to first person view and did glorious gunbattle in 2 to 3 fps.

This frustrated me so much, that it took about two days until I asked for help and my father (teacher at high school) organized a meeting with the son (much older than me) of the local IT-nerd teacher, who then introduced me into the fine arts of config.sys and autoexec.bat tuning. Two hours later, Doom ran fluidly, and my parents needed brute force to remove me from the computer. What followed was DoomEd level editor, first steps in installing mods, and then teaching myself to code the poo poo out of Doom.

What I can't understand: how can they actually live with 1 fps and not have their heads explode/realize that this is all poo poo? They don't come across as beeing in the CIG streamer payroll. I mean, I only participated in a single game dev project - Schleichfahrt - before turning to the dark side of business software, but I never experienced any testing environment with that kind of (or lack of) performance.

Then again, I truly don't understand game development...but I know that I couldn't live with 3 FPS Doom over twenty years ago, how can they get along with 1 FPS nowadays and pretend that everything's fine and running along nicely?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

tuo posted:

What I can't understand: how can they actually live with 1 fps and not have their heads explode/realize that this is all poo poo? They don't come across as beeing in the CIG streamer payroll. I mean, I only participated in a single game dev project - Schleichfahrt - before turning to the dark side of business software, but I never experienced any testing environment with that kind of (or lack of) performance.

Then again, I truly don't understand game development...but I know that I couldn't live with 3 FPS Doom over twenty years ago, how can they get along with 1 FPS nowadays and pretend that everything's fine and running along nicely?

"It's alpha" "Star Citizen is good so low fps must be good too" "The next major patch will fix it"

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Daztek posted:

"It's alpha" "Star Citizen is good so low fps must be good too" "The next major patch will fix it"

I see!

actually, I feel like dancing :pgabz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
Does anyone have a link for the James Brand podcast I only ever heard a short clip.