Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Section Z posted:

Warlock's Devour buff will still count chopping people in half with a sword, but it can be actively detrimental for me to use a sword against trash with my titan instead of my bare hands sometimes :v:

You've gotta get the buff via normal melee first, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

or you can eat your grenade if you have one handy

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cowcaster posted:

or you can eat your grenade if you have one handy

I always forget you can do that. :saddowns:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Tei posted:

Or pick hunter if you want to PvP and you are skilled.

We can always count on Tei to tell the truth. :)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

cvnvcnv posted:

We can always count on Tei to tell the truth. :)

:-D

*picks random phrase* We are stronger together.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I envy you no-scope knifethrow PvP Hunters. Because I'm hot garbage with the knife.

Kyrosiris posted:

I always forget you can do that. :saddowns:

Oh man, that's the lynchpin to the entire build too. You eat your grenade, go on a killing spree, replenish your grenade after like five kills. Then you can blow it on some mooks, which gives you credit for the grenade replenish anyway, or save it if everything's already dead.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

OxySnake posted:

I guess the only thing that came to mind was the Infinite Forest being a big enough supercomputer to even account for guardians being immortal?

But even then the story makes it looks like that isn't the case.

Lore nerd alert.

The Vex word for Guardian translates to 'That which we cannot predict', and the reason they fight us is because that poo poo offends them.

They're a race of plankton riding in robots that want to make their presence an immutable physical law of the universe. The fact that Guardians exist, the fact that there is anything that they can't predict, is just straight-up blasphemy to a race that can simulate reality millions of times over.

It also leads to massive 'what if' spots, and those are the only futures that they predict that don't end in the Darkness eating everything. The FWC's prediction machine basically says the same thing. Either the Guardians fail, or they're so unpredictable that even paracausal future-vision machines can't tell what happens next.

So they're pissed off because they see us as errors in their simulations, despite that error being the only thing keeping them from being exterminated along with the rest of the universe. So they're kinda like the machines from the Matrix and we're Neo, just with fewer sweaty cave raves.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Devour + Complex Solution = unstoppable endless sword rampage during the hive Witches' Ritual public event.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Tei posted:

:-D

*picks random phrase* We are stronger together.

Live together, die alone :respek:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Shifty Pony posted:

Devour + Complex Solution = unstoppable endless sword rampage during the hive Witches' Ritual public event.

Devour + Nezarec + Void weapon = Devour Forever.

I think they increased Nezarec's abilities, too. I toss out a void grenade during Gauntlet and I get a third of my grenade energy back by the time it ends. Slap a psion in the face, and I can just stand out in the open and gun down mooks without having to worry about dying.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

puschel posted:

I'm looking forward to fridays trials of the nine without a lens in my team. Gonna be fun as gently caress!

Assuming they don't disable it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Xarbala posted:

Oh man, that's the lynchpin to the entire build too. You eat your grenade, go on a killing spree, replenish your grenade after like five kills. Then you can blow it on some mooks, which gives you credit for the grenade replenish anyway, or save it if everything's already dead.

i minmax it by starting my devour with a punch, and then saving my grenade as a snack if my devour ends before my punch finishes getting refreshed by nezarec's. once the punch is cooled off, grenades are open season for chucking whenever. that way i'm never without a way of starting a new devour in case my current one wears off during a lull for whatever reason

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I wish the War Rig didn't look so out of place with a majority of other cool looking sets. I have a good look going right now with the Retro-Grade greaves and legs but all of the really cool looking sets just looks out of place next to the War Rig and its' bandoliers of shotgun shells.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

nickhimself posted:

I want this armor. How do I go about making that happen?

Iron banner head/arms/mark, actium war rig chest, EDZ boots

With the iron battalion shader on the off pieces.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ah, yeah, that might be part of it, I don't have a Nezarec yet. Honestly I spend most of my time as Stormcaller nowadays because I have Crown of Tempests and it's bonkers good.

Plus I always feel like I get more mileage out of Stormtrance than I do Nova Bomb in Crucible.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

explosivo posted:

I wish the War Rig didn't look so out of place with a majority of other cool looking sets. I have a good look going right now with the Retro-Grade greaves and legs but all of the really cool looking sets just looks out of place next to the War Rig and its' bandoliers of shotgun shells.

I'm experiencing the same thing. I wish I could get War Rig abilities with cooler looking armor.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Maybe they'll drop an alternative look for it. I've got a few alternative unlocks for a few legendary armor pieces since the DLC dropped, I'd love one for the War Rig as it really only works with a very narrow selection of armor pieces.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Ah, yeah, that might be part of it, I don't have a Nezarec yet. Honestly I spend most of my time as Stormcaller nowadays because I have Crown of Tempests and it's bonkers good.

Plus I always feel like I get more mileage out of Stormtrance than I do Nova Bomb in Crucible.

Nezarec is more about getting more grenades from your void Uriel's kills than more Nova Bombs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

yeah i'm mainly pve focused and as great as devour warlock is in pvp, the place where it feels the most absolutely broken is during solo pve where you can carry your devour for minutes at a time. i hear tell that karnstein's gauntlets and stormcaller go together pretty well.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i actually have a harder time with doing content with my friends than solo as a devour warlock because i'll pop it and jump into a big pile of enemies expecting to keep chaining it and then my friends keep finishing all the enemies before i do so my devour ends and i get my rear end shot off

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wings of Sacred Dawn look so cool but its unique modifier is lame and Dawnblade is the weakest warlock

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Grave Robber: Kind of a boring perk on paper until you remember you’re a Titan that habitually shoulder charges every 2 minutes

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Waffle House posted:

Grave Robber: Kind of a boring perk on paper until you remember you’re a Titan that habitually shoulder charges every 2 minutes

Give me a shotgun that has grave robber and then I can finally play doom 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wings of Sacred Dawn look so cool but its unique modifier is lame and Dawnblade is the weakest warlock

I dunno, I like its perk for PVE, it just feels good. But yeah, they're gorgeous, and the new ornament for them is even better.

Pity about Dawnblade being rear end, though.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

scaterry posted:

Give me a shotgun that has grave robber and then I can finally play doom 2016

Hahaha, that’d be waaaay too much fun. There’s no current shotguns that have it afaik; Deadpan Delivery has Pulse monitor which is....

......kinda similar. Kinda

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Quote is not edit wow.

I’ll use this post then to say that I wish I could run Infinite Forest as much as I cared to, even if it’s just for tokens/blues/Chance at legendary at the end, same loot spin as a Lost Sector. “Anybody wanna go tear through the forest a few times?” Is easy to say to your friends.

Call me an aroborist, because I just wanna prune the Vex’s reality trees.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 7, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Honest question: what's different about CoO that sets it apart from, say, WoW's Burning Crusade? Similarities off the top of my head:
  • Can't level beyond a cap without purchasing the expansion
  • ~$20
  • World map areas are off-limits to non-expansion havers*
*This I'm kinda foggy on since it's been a long time since I've even WoWed.

What I'm still miffed about is I've gotten nothing but a blue and two tokens out of every CoO chest I've looted so far. The Crucible is still my favorite place to generate RNG chances.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

scuz posted:

Honest question: what's different about CoO that sets it apart from, say, WoW's Burning Crusade? Similarities off the top of my head:
  • ~$20

What I'm still miffed about is I've gotten nothing but a blue and two tokens out of every CoO chest I've looted so far. The Crucible is still my favorite place to generate RNG chances.

Never played WoW but in this the previously available Raid had the light level adjusted to push it past the cap of none-expansion owners.

5 of my friends bought this and 3 of them were playing casually with the goal that eventually all of us would Raid the prestige version in a couple of weeks when they were caught up with light level. Now they have to spend $20 to do that.

It's pretty lovely in my books.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

scuz posted:

• ~$20

No vanilla WoW raid became level 70 content with TBC.

Edit: I think in WoW's entire lifespan, only Naxxramas was cut entirely and repurposed for an Expansion with higher level. But then again, only a handful of people actually got to see Naxxramas when it was level 60 content.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 7, 2017

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

puschel posted:

I'm looking forward to fridays trials of the nine without a lens in my team. Gonna be fun as gently caress!

Yeah, I’ve gone flawless 3x every weekend since PC launch and I wouldn’t touch that with someone else’s dick if I don’t have a Lens by this weekend. Although I’d say it’s more likely they will cancel, they have before.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

They raised the light level so it's still relevant content for max level players...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

scuz posted:

• ~$20

the main thing people are pissed about is there were a couple of hard mode things you could do in the vanilla game that you can no longer do now that the expansion has been released because they got bumped up to the higher level cap

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

But when is Lich King/Cataclysm tho

:thunk:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

Never played WoW but in this the previously available Raid had the light level adjusted to push it past the cap of none-expansion owners.

5 of my friends bought this and 3 of them were playing casually with the goal that eventually all of us would Raid the prestige version in a couple of weeks when they were caught up with light level. Now they have to spend $20 to do that.

It's pretty lovely in my books.

Admittedly, it's only for the hard mode version, which I am willing to bet money that 99.9% of the people who're browbeating Sony/MS into refunds would never do otherwise.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Norns posted:

They raised the light level so it's still relevant content for max level players...

Yes. Doesn't mean it isn't lovely, you know, ethically.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the answers, folks. I never got too far into the end-game stuff so I didn't understand the context, but I totally understand the outrage now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Burning Crusade, a $40 Xpansion for WoW in 2007, brought two new playable races, level 1-20 starting zones and quests for those races, two new crafting disciplines, a massive new continent for people to level 60-70, flying mounts, and like 3-4 raids (Kharazhan, Serpentshrine Cavern, Kael’Thas, and Illidan)

None of the previous content was gated, it merely became obsolete, but Vanilla WoW was so beloved that people are getting Blizzard to register it on live servers.

I’ve been playing Warframe while I wait for Destiny 2 missions to load and this game is not perfect but I have never seen a F2P game as rich and feature deep as Warframe, and there are like 40K people playing Warframe every night on Steam (Total Dev Team is less than 200 people over 4 years, making it comparable in scale to D2 in time spent developing but at 1/4 the manpower)

Edit:
Ok so they could have just done it like this

Leviathan Prestige is capped at 300, like before
CoO players gain access to Cursed Leviathan Prestige, available at light lvl 320

Now everyone gets to keep playing, but Xpac people can play without ruining the Prestige content for Vanilla Destiny fam.

Sincerely, I feel like any Destiny 2 fan wouldn’t be blamed for waiting on this Xpac, just based off of what literally everyone is saying.

Reddit, Kotaku, Polygon... Bungie doesn’t have anyone left propping them up, they are universally just getting dunked on right now

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 7, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wow deleted an entire continent in one of its expansions

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?

the good fax machine posted:

Yeah, I’ve gone flawless 3x every weekend since PC launch and I wouldn’t touch that with someone else’s dick if I don’t have a Lens by this weekend. Although I’d say it’s more likely they will cancel, they have before.

I somehow won't get my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The Burning Crusade, a $20 Xpansion for WoW in 2007, brought two new playable races, level 1-20 starting zones and quests for those races, two new crafting disciplines, a massive new continent for people to level 60-70, flying mounts, and like 3-4 raids (Kharazhan, Serpentshrine Cavern, Kael’Thas, and Illidan)

None of the previous content was gated, it merely became obsolete, but Vanilla WoW was so beloved that people are getting Blizzard to register it on live servers.

I’ve been playing Warframe while I wait for Destiny 2 missions to load and this game is not perfect but I have never seen a F2P game as rich and feature deep as Warframe, and there are like 40K people playing Warframe every night on Steam

There was no way in hell burning crusade was 20 dollars on release

• Locked thread