Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just had the mor Adrain hard crash happen to me as well. That sucks!! I've pretty much only salvaged and lost some of that which is recoverable but still....what the gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Finished chapter 3 last night and glad to see the plot already going totally off the rails, just like in XC1 :cool:

I didn't find the chapter 3 boss fights nearly as difficult as some people itt did but I ended up overleveled from quest XP. So far the most fun I've had in battle is with the unique driver on the path up the second titan. That owned.

Also, just for stats, I've opened probably 30 common cores and have two rare blades. I'm waiting a bit to crack open the 10 or so rare cores I've accrued, probably until I can farm them in chapter 4 (if that salvage spot really does work)

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Amppelix posted:

I hope I'll get used to it over the course of the game, but currently I find it literally impossible to pay attention to all the factors of battle at once. I was fighting a unique monster earlier (sniping something? a bird at the left side of Gormott) who kept getting reinforcements randomly and it was infuriating me. Then after I finally won I realized that it probably has an art that calls for allies but I kept missing it because, as said, I absolutely can't catch all of the information available. If I'm focused on efficient combos I keep forgetting about managing health and vice versa.

Not like the game requires any mastery of this level yet at all, but the feeling I get that I'm just randomly flailing around during battle most of the time is annoying.

If you have a dark element blade you can Seal Reinforcements with dark/dark/dark, water/water/dark, or ice/ice/dark blade combos.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Finished chapter 3 last night and glad to see the plot already going totally off the rails, just like in XC1 :cool:

I didn't find the chapter 3 boss fights nearly as difficult as some people itt did but I ended up overleveled from quest XP. So far the most fun I've had in battle is with the unique driver on the path up the second titan. That owned.

Also, just for stats, I've opened probably 30 common cores and have two rare blades. I'm waiting a bit to crack open the 10 or so rare cores I've accrued, probably until I can farm them in chapter 4 (if that salvage spot really does work)

That fight kicked my rear end until I leveled about 2 levels above them. Even then though my tank still got one hit twice and my healer once.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cathead posted:

If you have a dark element blade you can Seal Reinforcements with dark/dark/dark, water/water/dark, or ice/ice/dark blade combos.

That was... not really my problem at all, but useful info anyway.

So, is there eventually going to be a way for me to find out what the ???s in the affinity chart are, or am I just supposed to like, wait for the condition to randomly happen and reveal itself that way?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This thread should probably get clued in to these great little essays that the developers have been putting out. This one is really interesting, as it explains why they made Rex the main character and how his design developed. They've done a few of these that show a lot of insight into the game development process.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/xenoblade-chronicles-2-message-from-director-takahashi

"We wanted to make a story where you could trust your allies" so why do they lie and not tell you important information?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

In Training posted:

The skill tree upgrade that lets you cancel driver skills is a game changer. You can instantly get to level three by just cancelling all your skills into a new blade and then cancelling all their skills into each other since they're instantly charged. The further I get the more I love this system

I'm a dumbass and 40 hours in I still haven't picked up those skills and wasted my points on the lame +hp from healing or +stat nodes instead

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mabels big day posted:

"We wanted to make a story where you could trust your allies" so why do they lie and not tell you important information?

Because it's about learning to mutually trust eachother so they open up :ssh:.

Amppelix posted:

I hope I'll get used to it over the course of the game, but currently I find it literally impossible to pay attention to all the factors of battle at once. I was fighting a unique monster earlier (sniping something? a bird at the left side of Gormott) who kept getting reinforcements randomly and it was infuriating me. Then after I finally won I realized that it probably has an art that calls for allies but I kept missing it because, as said, I absolutely can't catch all of the information available. If I'm focused on efficient combos I keep forgetting about managing health and vice versa.

Not like the game requires any mastery of this level yet at all, but the feeling I get that I'm just randomly flailing around during battle most of the time is annoying.

The basic thing to understand about Xenoblade combat is that unlike most RPG's it's not about basic smack monsters, make numbers fly out; It's about setup and execution.

You have several paths to get to that combo-execution depending on how you want to play. The basic path is through Elemental Combos: Just three-step your way till there's an Orb or two spinning around the enemy (assuming they're not already dead) and then start a Chain Combo. Extend it by shattering the orbs and just rack up all the damage you can (preferrably Overkilling them for better loot). Alternatively, you can Driver Combo your way to meaty numbers by laying out a second-tier elemental effect on them and going through Break->Topple->Launch->Smash.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat once you have access to gold cylinders you can crap out money

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm at the end of ch7 and I've still never done the whole driver combo thing. Furthest I ever get is topple

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Do them because they're fun. Big numbers are a cool bonus.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I wish Rex had a faster Launch skill because he only seems to have it on Greataxes and they're so sloowww and the topple effect is over by the time I whip it out

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

got to Mor Ardain and after fighting like all the soldiers, pumped up my party, bought all the latest attack chips, tanked up Tora, resulted in both of the following boss battles being far easier than the last few. It's nuts that being even 2 levels below a boss will lead to some struggles but being the same level or more as a boss means you can smash their face in with the right combos.

also I really hope this Nia hotspring cutscene is not insinuating some bizarre genderbent spin

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have several paths to get to that combo-execution depending on how you want to play. The basic path is through Elemental Combos: Just three-step your way till there's an Orb or two spinning around the enemy (assuming they're not already dead) and then start a Chain Combo. Extend it by shattering the orbs and just rack up all the damage you can (preferrably Overkilling them for better loot). Alternatively, you can Driver Combo your way to meaty numbers by laying out a second-tier elemental effect on them and going through Break->Topple->Launch->Smash.

I mean, I know all this (these systems aren't very complex or hard to understand) but I can't wrap my head around every facet in the heat of battle. Often when a character dies it takes me several seconds to notice because I've been focused on mashing out my own moves. Or I don't collect HP potions in time because I forget they even exist, etc. Or, on the other end of the scale I spend ages without switching a blade and just mindlessly use arts to not much effect because for once I'm paying attention to these other important things.

Some of this is understandable. The game hasn't even gotten through introducing all the mechanics yet (i can't even do chain attacks!). All I'm saying is I hope this is not a permanent state for me, because I know I've had problems with games where you need to keep a lot on your mind/absorb a lot of information quickly in the past.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

also I really hope this Nia hotspring cutscene is not insinuating some bizarre genderbent spin

This is speculation but I'm still spoiling it

I'm assuming she's a blade. Torna seems to be a bunch of people that are really freaking old and we already know the one guy that fought with Mythra is a blade even though he also uses one in combat.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm really confused how Blades use Blades. that's like Charizard using Blastoise or something. Then again Blades seem to do fine on their own going on Merc missions so maybe they're just automatons? What's even stopping them from saying "gently caress off I'm not fighting today." This is some Yoko Taro poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

I'm really confused how Blades use Blades. that's like Charizard using Blastoise or something. Then again Blades seem to do fine on their own going on Merc missions so maybe they're just automatons? What's even stopping them from saying "gently caress off I'm not fighting today." This is some Yoko Taro poo poo.

There's a reason for that, and it gets explained. Blades generally being helpful to their Driver is just one of those things you can take as part of their basic nature because of them being artificial things. I actually really like how XC2's run with them all being treated as fully-aware and independent individuals rather than just treating them as things or weapon-pokemon.

DLC Inc posted:

It is not.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a reason for that, and it gets explained. Blades generally being helpful to their Driver is just one of those things you can take as part of their basic nature because of them being artificial things. I actually really like how XC2's run with them all being treated as fully-aware and independent individuals rather than just treating them as things or weapon-pokemon.

I do like how they're basically angels created by god who forgot about us and now one of them is basically Lucifer because he hates humans. Maybe that changes but so far the story is a little easier to follow than XC1, which had its share of celestial weirdness when you get to Prison Island and meet Zanza, the inexplicable giant who created this tinyass sword

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

IcePhoenix posted:

This is speculation but I'm still spoiling it

I'm assuming she's a blade. Torna seems to be a bunch of people that are really freaking old and we already know the one guy that fought with Mythra is a blade even though he also uses one in combat.

I am speculating based on ch 3 she's one of those half human half blade things with magic cancer and Mythra saw that weird jewel encrusted on her like that one old dude had

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

By the way, is Pyra looking an awful lot like a Monado ever referenced or go anywhere? Or is this just what important swords look like in the Xenoblade series

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Amppelix posted:

By the way, is Pyra looking an awful lot like a Monado ever referenced or go anywhere? Or is this just what important swords look like in the Xenoblade series

I'm gonna guess it's like the end of the game and they do some reference or MIND BLOWING TWIST that ties together 1 and 2 that I won't understand because I never finished 1. Like pyra turns into the Monado proper and shulk arrives to start really feeling it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Amppelix posted:

There hasn't been any reference to XC1 yet, I'm in the middle of chapter 4. Given the way XC1 ends, I wouldn't be surprised if XC2 is just a subtle continuation of that universe and it might eventually be confirmed later on. That's all just speculation though; I have no idea if there's any legit connection but since this game shares way more themes and world elements to XC1 than XCX ever did, I'm gonna say there's some Monado stuff that crops up.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It took me a minute to realize that Pyra's crystal is shaped like the Zohar from Xenosaga.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Amppelix posted:

That was... not really my problem at all, but useful info anyway.

So, is there eventually going to be a way for me to find out what the ???s in the affinity chart are, or am I just supposed to like, wait for the condition to randomly happen and reveal itself that way?

Ah, yeah the Seal Reinforcements works if it has an actual ability to call them (Volffs do this with their howl). If it's just other monsters pathing in then there's not a whole lot you can do about it other than try and pull them somewhere with not much around.

I'm pretty sure the ???s will show themselves once you unlock that tier of the affinity grid.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
I am pretty sure that the ???s are just meant to specify you haven't reached the area or part of the story that is required to complete it. Mostly I have seen this happen with nodes that require heart to hearts, side quests, or killing certain enemies.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

One thing that really bothers me about this game, especially in big battles that take a bit of time, is loving loot despawn. What is this and why is it a thing? They already have the technology to make my character hover up everything around him at the end of a story battle that goes directly into a cutscene. But when I'm fighting Largey McBigHuge out in the country and he drops a rare core or two and then I have to fight his twenty adds and don't immediately think about running around like an idiot and picking everything up, poo poo will just despawn. And welp, hope you didn't want those cores/accessories/bunch of money that the big guy dropped, here's 10 gold from the useless add you killed in 3 hits. Same with waiting around a bit after the salvaging scenes play (which, with a bunch of Salvaging Mastery Blades equipped, take entirely too loving long btw). I got a call yesterday just as I finished up a QTE to salvage and when I looked back at the screen a minute later all that was left were two monsters 20 levels below me and a chest.

I really don't think this is a needed feature.. why is it even a thing in this game? Don't even get me started on loot just loving off into the cloud sea or falling off random ledges because hey, why not, it is totally your fault after all that this guy attacked you on awful terrain. If it was just for the gold I'd say screw it, who cares, but if legendary accessories or random other assorted poo poo (especially the drat cores) just disappear into nothingness I get a little bit pissy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Drashin posted:

I am pretty sure that the ???s are just meant to specify you haven't reached the area or part of the story that is required to complete it. Mostly I have seen this happen with nodes that require heart to hearts, side quests, or killing certain enemies.

It's this. I have a couple blades that have ??? unlocks that are a full tier below what I have available.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

abraxas posted:

One thing that really bothers me about this game, especially in big battles that take a bit of time, is loving loot despawn. What is this and why is it a thing? They already have the technology to make my character hover up everything around him at the end of a story battle that goes directly into a cutscene. But when I'm fighting Largey McBigHuge out in the country and he drops a rare core or two and then I have to fight his twenty adds and don't immediately think about running around like an idiot and picking everything up, poo poo will just despawn. And welp, hope you didn't want those cores/accessories/bunch of money that the big guy dropped, here's 10 gold from the useless add you killed in 3 hits. Same with waiting around a bit after the salvaging scenes play (which, with a bunch of Salvaging Mastery Blades equipped, take entirely too loving long btw). I got a call yesterday just as I finished up a QTE to salvage and when I looked back at the screen a minute later all that was left were two monsters 20 levels below me and a chest.

I really don't think this is a needed feature.. why is it even a thing in this game? Don't even get me started on loot just loving off into the cloud sea or falling off random ledges because hey, why not, it is totally your fault after all that this guy attacked you on awful terrain. If it was just for the gold I'd say screw it, who cares, but if legendary accessories or random other assorted poo poo (especially the drat cores) just disappear into nothingness I get a little bit pissy.

It's so they could fill up the shop deeds effects with multiple "increases item collection radius by 50 cm" deeds.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Agree on that loot problem. They even solved this in XC1 only to un-solve it here! There, all drops would appear in inexplicable chests which wouldn't disappear and couldn't fall off the precarious geometry. I think a good compromise would be if anything that's really valuable would still do that but the trash and money would scatter around like it does.

It doesn't even matter what the thing you happen to lose is, it just feels really bad regardless.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should do the Ys thing where your party automatically picks up stuff for you in case you miss some

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've had loot fall off a ledge or a cliff and didn't bother to go get it, it's a massive chore to gather them in battles too. I have to run over to stuff I want before it vanishes, while dodging aggro. It's a really stupid decision. Not a dealbreaker but still one that has literally no reason to be there.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Do those deeds increase movement speed in battle? That's my big gripe as I have to slowly walk over to grab potions especially if the monster has a big hit box and the potion drops 30 feet away

VVV I did not know that but I do not think my brain can handle moving around + doing QTEs at the same time

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 7, 2017

Aronodachi
Mar 27, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Do those deeds increase movement speed in battle? That's my big gripe as I have to slowly walk over to grab potions especially if the monster has a big hit box and the potion drops 30 feet away

In case you didn't know, while your blade has your weapon during a special you can move around really fast. I usually use that time to grab potions or re-position without losing autoattacks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

so at what point do i just grind salvages for money and development so i can buy deeds?

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Does anyone have any tips for reliably performing drive combos?

I'm currently set up with the following progression:
Break (Nia) -> Topple (Rex or Tora) -> Launch (Nia) -> Smash (Rex)

I can reliably topple an enemy no problem, but once toppled Nia will not switch blades and perform a launch.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

.Ataraxia. posted:

Does anyone have any tips for reliably performing drive combos?

I'm currently set up with the following progression:
Break (Nia) -> Topple (Rex or Tora) -> Launch (Nia) -> Smash (Rex)

I can reliably topple an enemy no problem, but once toppled Nia will not switch blades and perform a launch.

I haven't had any success without having Rex perform the Launch since the topple condition being so short in length and the launch action taking forever makes the AI unreliable

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's the best place to salvage if I just want money

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mabels big day posted:

so at what point do i just grind salvages for money and development so i can buy deeds?

At least wait until you unlock merc missions because quite a few shop items are gated behind those

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

mabels big day posted:

Right around the time you get gold cylinders. Load up on as much salvaging mastery as you can from blades.

Calaveron posted:

What's the best place to salvage if I just want money

Honestly anywhere. Each location has a different ratio of treasure drops though, so if you use, say 20 cylinders, you might notice that you have more of one treasure than another. Swap up your spot a bit to change up the treasure ratios for the next batch of cylinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

can I just say, the animation for Launching an enemy as they spin around wildly is loving incredible