Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I try to keep up with sharpening the kitchen knives, but I was cringing the other night watching my wife try to cut a large squash in half with which was a dull chefs knife.

As for paring knives, an elcheapo Victorinox I got has been incredible. Sharp as hell and stays sharp. I can't remember the last time I had to touch it up.

Memento posted:

Then she discovered my side cutters and used them for pruning her rose bushes... And left them out in the rain :negative:

You think that's bad, my wife tossed my Shun chef's knife in the dishwasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hand like a cat's paw. Cat's paw! CURL YOUR GODDAMNED FINGERS, NAILS TO THE FOOD AAAAHHHHH

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I tried curling my fingers once and instead of cutting my finger tips, I cut my knuckles :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

um excuse me posted:

I tried curling my fingers once and instead of cutting my finger tips, I cut my knuckles :shrug:

Your knuckles should rest against the blade and you shouldn't lift the blade high enough to actually cut yourself.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The blade should not even get above your knuckles to cut them.

Takes some practice, but it really speeds things up when you start to get the hang of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Nothing is more pro than Doccers using his lathe for food prep.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

InitialDave posted:

A food processor is just a vertical lathe

NitroSpazzz posted:

My wife is the opposite, any job requiring something to be cut requires the 9" chef's knife. I've tried correcting but it doesn't help so I do most of the food prep cutting and keep it sharp for when she uses it.

That was also me, until I got a proper knife set. Still try to debone with a chefs knife on instinct sometimes.
It's also me in other peoples homes since chances are that the chefs knife is the only one that's kept its edge.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 7, 2017

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

InitialDave posted:

Worse betide the man without a kitchen lathe and kitchen CNC.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Exit Strategy posted:

Worse betide the man without a kitchen lathe and kitchen CNC.

I will unironically say the kitchen blowtorch has been fantastic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A food processor is just a vertical lathe

Uh, what. I think you are using your food processor incorrectly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, the tooling moves to cut the material, so it's more like a mill.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I appreciated his shotgun seasoning too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

Coming from auto-mechanic land it boggled my mind how completely terrible people can be with tools in my college work lab. Here's a guy using a hacksaw to cut through 1/2" plywood. Here's a guy attempting to use a dremel as a router in plywood... with one of those ceramic grinding heads. Here's someone hammering a 1/2" diameter wood-thread bolt through a 4x4. Here's someone using a step drill to create a hole in a 2x4.

This post is like the handyperson's version of those New Years At The Gym comics

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phy posted:

This post is like the handyperson's version of those New Years At The Gym comics
God lift the queen!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Enourmo posted:

Coming from auto-mechanic land it boggled my mind how completely terrible people can be with tools in my college work lab. Here's a guy using a hacksaw to cut through 1/2" plywood. Here's a guy attempting to use a dremel as a router in plywood... with one of those ceramic grinding heads. Here's someone hammering a 1/2" diameter wood-thread bolt through a 4x4. Here's someone using a step drill to create a hole in a 2x4.

I wish there were easier-to-find gifs of this meathead hammering wood screws into walls, but this'll work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5uljtp9no

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

In HS I elected to not take shop or the mechanic class. Instead I took Engineering Tech and we had a CNC lathe, mill, router, robotic arm, plastic thermoforging machine/welder, and a rapid prototyper amongst other things.

My grandfather was a HS shop teacher, after years of begging my parents they finally gave me one of the workbenches from his class and I have a radial arm saw sitting on top of it that I first used when I was like 6 years old.

Out of my group of friends that are 30somethings like me, only one other one owns any tools beyond a hammer, multibit screwdriver, and the tape measure they barely know how to use.

That *is* shop. Well, Metal Shop plus some cool stuff that I didn't get back in the yesteryear of 1987. We had manual mills, lathes, and MIGs (no TIG), and big-rear end stick welders. Successfully built an engine crane that the auto shop boys used, and the whole class built a goose-neck flatbed trailer.

Memento posted:

My wife used my hacksaw to cut branches off a little tree and complained that it was a piece of poo poo because of how long it took.

Then she discovered my side cutters and used them for pruning her rose bushes... And left them out in the rain :negative:

My wife knows better. For one thing, her father taught her about proper tool for the job. And I get pissy enough when she doesn't put stuff back that she does, now.
I think I've got her convinced that throwing knives in the dishwasher is not the best, even though ours are nothing special. I'll admit that I'm not the best at sharpening them.

Enourmo posted:

...and these are the guys who want to be engineers and design stuff that other people have to build. This is something my dad (mechanical engineer) complained about often.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

I wish there were easier-to-find gifs of this meathead hammering wood screws into walls, but this'll work.

Wow.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Shop class back in my time (probably around '90) or so was hauling in anything you could and attempting to sort something out. Our teacher was also a farmer (at the time, this was some rural high school).

It would give an OSHA inspector cardiac arrest. Parts washer which was used all the time was basically kerosene and a ton of who knows what. No gloves. Teacher did favors for his farmers pals. So he would haul in some piece of equipment for us to refurbish. It was always done in John Deere green when we painted it after grinding at it for hours. Then for the next couple days you would have green snot since who needed a mask.

Had a welding table that was basically a 4x8 of bricks. They'd fill it with gas then ignite it. The bricks would float.

Some other dumbass in the class dumped gas in the exhaust of a chainsaw to try to start it. The flame burned all his arm hair off.

It really was a good class, because our teacher didn't put up with poo poo. Every tool had to be put back before we left in the tool room (and everything was marked), floors swept, etc. Now granted, I'm sure I'll get cancer but I learned a ton in that environment.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Darchangel posted:

...and these are the guys who want to be engineers and design stuff that other people have to build. This is something my dad (mechanical engineer) complained about often.

Engineers who've never touched a wrench. Joy.

I love how hiring managers can't tell the difference between me and them when I apply to jobs that having aptitude would be, you know, critical.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My highschool had some decent shop classes.
2 Auto shops, wood shop, Electrical shop, Machine, Electronics, Refrigeration.
Wish I'd taken wood shop at least once.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

My highschool had some decent shop classes.
2 Auto shops, wood shop, Electrical shop, Machine, Electronics, Refrigeration.
Wish I'd taken wood shop at least once.

Eh, would have ended up like my wood shop class. Some dumb gently caress abuses a tool and ruins it for everyone. In my case it was a band saw blade.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Eh, would have ended up like my wood shop class. Some dumb gently caress abuses a tool and ruins it for everyone. In my case it was a band saw blade.

Or someone cuts most of their fingers off, which is what killed shop class at my high school the year before I went there.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

What age and skill level of student? Should this person have a handler of some kind in normal life? Do they pay to replace it? Are you allowed to tase your students for stupidity?

To this day I can never understand how it's possible to make it through life without a knowledge of how tools work and how to use them. I do honestly mean that. How can a person survive without knowing how to do anything?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

To this day I can never understand how it's possible to make it through life without a knowledge of how tools work and how to use them. I do honestly mean that. How can a person survive without knowing how to do anything?

Their dad takes care of everything until they marry someone who can take over.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Or they just pay someone else to do anything remotely practical

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I didn't appreciate how good our shop was while I was in 7th grade but we had Aluminum forging, acetylene welding and stick, just a whole mess of dangerous stuff. 12 year olds!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Oddhair posted:

I didn't appreciate how good our shop was while I was in 7th grade but we had Aluminum forging, acetylene welding and stick, just a whole mess of dangerous stuff. 12 year olds!

Al forging? Did you grow up at Alcoa High School and get a free set of rims every semester?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

General_Failure posted:

When would they use tools? When you buy furniture, you can have the the store deliver and assemble it for you. When you move, you can pay the movers to disassemble and reassemble your furniture. If you take your electronics to someone else to have it fixed, you never need to learn how to use a screwdriver. If you don't build anything, you never have to use a saw, or a drill, or a hammer. In our modern society, it is very easy to make it through life without ever using a tool.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

Not knowing how to do things is kind of forgivable, though it does get ridiculous when people appear to know nothing.

It's the people who take some kind of pride in not knowing that wind me up. "Oh no, this practical skill is below me, I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was one of those people".

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My shop class had a guy who'd put a piece of wood in a vice (light grip), then karate kick it into the disc sander going at full speed which would launch it at crazy angles. I think that's the only thing I remember about the class actually.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

InitialDave posted:

Not knowing how to do things is kind of forgivable, though it does get ridiculous when people appear to know nothing.

It's the people who take some kind of pride in not knowing that wind me up. "Oh no, this practical skill is below me, I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was one of those people".

Why is it $300 to replace an oxygen sensor?

Why is it $600 to replace an inducer blower in my furnace?

Oh cool, got an oil change for $30 dollars with a coupon.

Why is it $7,000 for a new engine?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

Canada's Worst Handyman season 3 and 4 is on Netflix. Pro Click to watch it all. OSHA violations galore and none of these people should ever handle tools again.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

When would they use tools? When you buy furniture, you can have the the store deliver and assemble it for you. When you move, you can pay the movers to disassemble and reassemble your furniture. If you take your electronics to someone else to have it fixed, you never need to learn how to use a screwdriver. If you don't build anything, you never have to use a saw, or a drill, or a hammer. In our modern society, it is very easy to make it through life without ever using a tool.

What do these people do?, besides producing a lot of the content for this thread. I mean I guess my background is very different from theirs. I can't imagine what it'd be like to never do things for myself. It'd be like real life with cheats enabled.

e: ^^^^ Nice. I'll have to see if it's on Netflix Australia. I watched the older seasons on YouTube. I'm not much of a TV person but I do like shows that have me non-stop yelling at them in horror and anguish.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 8, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

My shop class had a guy who'd put a piece of wood in a vice (light grip), then karate kick it into the disc sander going at full speed which would launch it at crazy angles. I think that's the only thing I remember about the class actually.

We had super not gay manly men polish their nails on the high-speed buffing wheel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

General_Failure posted:

What do these people do?, besides producing a lot of the content for this thread. I mean I guess my background is very different from theirs. I can't imagine what it'd be like to never do things for myself. It'd be like real life with cheats enabled.

They live in apartments in cities so they don't have to fix anything. They take public transport so they never have to fix a car. If something breaks, they take it somewhere to get fixed or buy a new one. If you know how to fix things, it seems simple. If you don't know how to use tools, it seems like a Herculean task, so you pay someone else to do it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Engineers who've never touched a wrench. Joy.

I love how hiring managers can't tell the difference between me and them when I apply to jobs that having aptitude would be, you know, critical.

Well, on the part of your resume for hobbies and other interests, note that you work on your cars or something. I do that even for IT to point out troubleshooting skills and process thinking. Mine basically says "I like to fix poo poo." In resume-ish terms, of course.

General_Failure posted:

Play video games, watch TV, post on Facebook, and go clubbing, as far as I can tell. Maybe go to sports things, or bars to watch sports things?
I'm with you. I never get caught up on all the movies and show I want to watch because I like doing stuff, too. Some I have to do, some I want to do, but it all cuts into my TV/gaming time. I figure I'll catch up on all that when I *can't* go out and work in the garage anymore. Then it'll all be retro/vintage, too!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I always feel a bit ambivalent when this kind of talk comes along. Yes, I believe it's pretty handy to know how to fix your car or do some home improvement on your own. Still, I don't fault people who don't take an interest in it, because you really don't have to know this stuff these days.

I mean, I'm pretty sure my great grandma would've huffed and puffed about me not knowing how to churn butter, use a washing board or how to put up a good hayrack.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

They live in apartments in cities so they don't have to fix anything.

Growing up I helped fix a lot of stuff around the house but now that I rent not only do you not have to fix anything, but you pay rent every month specifically so your landlord can fix everything. Everyone should have those skills but also should know when it isn't their responsibility.

If you grow up in a rental property though its hard to learn those skills I imagine.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

On the other hand, people knowing some basic repair skills would at least help them out when the landlord's $10 handyman fucks up their place even more. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I always feel a bit ambivalent when this kind of talk comes along. Yes, I believe it's pretty handy to know how to fix your car or do some home improvement on your own. Still, I don't fault people who don't take an interest in it, because you really don't have to know this stuff these days.

I mean, I'm pretty sure my great grandma would've huffed and puffed about me not knowing how to churn butter, use a washing board or how to put up a good hayrack.
Yes, but you don't regard not knowing as a source of pride, and if someone showed you, you'd probably pick it up.