Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Short sell bitcoin if yall think it's a bubble and gonna pop! do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Coinbase says bitcoin sales are temporarily disabled

19.3 down to 15.9 in 30 minutes. HOLY poo poo! Kind of glad they disable Coinbase when these things happen!

quote:

The price peaked around 19.7k, dipped to 15.3k and now is frozen around 16.3k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ko9TpduOhE

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 7, 2017

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Swings so large they'd halt trading at stock exchanges are good for bitcoin because

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

LinYutang posted:

Which would require depositing real money into a company whose primary business is Bitcoin. Independent of the underlying thing that is cryptocurrency, is there a single company in this sector that you'd trust to hold a significant chunk of your money?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

everything is good for bitcoin including crashing and bankrupting investors because now you can buy cheaper bitcoins

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

LinYutang posted:

bitcoin price isn't really predictable in either direction which is why it's not a good investment, nobody here is saying it won't go up or that it will crash at any certain time, despite Ham Sandwiches trying to force those words into everyone's mouth with all the possible force in the universe

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Stefan Prodan posted:

bitcoin price isn't really predictable in either direction which is why it's not a good investment, nobody here is saying it won't go up or that it will crash at any certain time, despite Ham Sandwiches trying to force those words into everyone's mouth with all the possible force in the universe

Oh no, actually, it turns out that everything is bad for Bitcoin. When it goes up that's bad, when it goes down that's bad, there's only one state that bitcoin news comes in, and that's bad. Things are looking grim for this (now literal) digital beanie baby coin and cryptos in general.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is Bulgarian:
http://forum.bitcoin.bg/index.php/topic,214.msg550.html

Translation:

quote:

"Effective last night all banks in Bulgaria blocked the accounts of companies whose business is related to the sale of Bitcoin. Transfers to international Bitcoin exchanges are banned by the banks."

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

If yall think me betting all my savings on black is bad idea, why don't you bet all your savings on red? Oh you won't do that either? Looks like I'm proven right again :smuggo:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

lazorexplosion posted:

If yall think me betting all my savings on black is bad idea, why don't you bet all your savings on red? Oh you won't do that either? Looks like I'm proven right again :smuggo:

This is a good comparison thank you

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

This is the promised "lightning network", and in order to facilitate these faster transactions the customer has to put in the maximum amount of money that they think they'll want to spend during that period of high transactions. So if you want to be able to buy up to $1000 in stuff from Target this month, you deposit $1000 worth of Bitcoin to create a sidechain that lasts for 1 month and at the end of the month Target gets whatever percentage of that bitcoin you've actually spent. It's like the exact opposite of credit

This will work great because customers will definitely want to have to put down their entire budget up front and businesses won't mind waiting for weeks/months on end to get paid for goods and services

look, the economics of lightning will totally work, you need to read i dunno some articles on it, there's lots around, do your research

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

So what happens if you are waiting for your slow-rear end transaction to process and in the meantime the price of bitcoin swings so much you end up paying $300 for a cup of coffee? Am I just a dumb fiat supporter who doesn't understand?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well when the price of bitcoin goes up, that's super bad, because it's a ponzi scheme and a bubble

and when the price goes down, that's also bad, because it's crashing

The one thing you have to keep in mind is that no matter what happens, it's bad for bitcoin. Lots of crippling bombshells lately.

Actually it's the volatility that's bad, but only if you want to use bitcoin as a currency. If you want to daytrade bitcoin as a speculative asset then the volatility is actually good. And if you want to speculate then the bubble is good and the crashes are bad, whereas if you don't want to watch the world burn then the crashes are good because maybe the madness will end and we'll stop wasting ridiculous amounts of power on a job that could be accomplished with the equivalent processing power of a 1985 Nintendo Entertainment System

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I figured Sammy would be too busy masturbating today to come here and battle windmills. Ohwell, this is why I don't trade insanity futures.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

So what happens if you are waiting for your slow-rear end transaction to process and in the meantime the price of bitcoin swings so much you end up paying $300 for a cup of coffee? Am I just a dumb fiat supporter who doesn't understand?

No, you clearly understand the simple truth that volatility makes for a bad currency

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

QuarkJets posted:

No, you clearly understand the simple truth that volatility makes for a bad currency

I long bitcoin for this reason. we will see a correction and then the believers can get richer

meanwhile unconfirmed tx counts are at 200k at time of this writing

https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
http://www.businessinsider.com/valve-owned-steam-has-stopped-accepting-bitcoin-2017-12

This is good for Bitcoin because :words:?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dhrusis posted:

I long bitcoin for this reason. we will see a correction and then the believers can get richer

meanwhile unconfirmed tx counts are at 200k at time of this writing

https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions

Help me out, is this people trying to sell sell sell?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Bitcoin is a very cool and interesting software project. Clearly it is not ready for prime time as an actual currency for wide-scale real world use. The blockchain technology will continue to evolve, Ethereum is a good example of the next steps it can take

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Justin Tyme posted:

The price is locked in when you initiate a translation, not when it completes.

e: That's also why it's not the end of the world that it takes a few days for your bank deposit to arrive on Coinbase.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

wide stance posted:

The price is locked in when you initiate a translation, not when it completes.

Ok but if you gave me $5 worth of BTC, but the next day it was worth $500, would you feel great for using that amount of BTC on my pokemon card or whatever

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

lol bitcoin owns

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Bitcoin is a very cool and interesting software project. Clearly it is not ready for prime time as an actual currency for wide-scale real world use. The blockchain technology will continue to evolve, Ethereum is a good example of the next steps it can take

It already went through the choking itself to death with virtual cats stage a while ago, except with satoshi dice.

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014

LinYutang posted:

Soon.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Magnitogorsk. posted:

But it's not. It's really, really not. Distributed networks where nobody trusts anyone else are inefficient by design, since everyone has to repeat the work. This necessarily means we're wasting a ton of energy and hardware to verify what everyone else has done. Network effect means more widespread adoption scales that wasted energy and hardware exponentially. If we lived in a Mad Max society this could prove to be incredibly useful if the fundamental scalability problems could be solved, but the problem would then become reliable access to electricity and the network. It's much more efficient to use centralized ledgers and other mechanisms to ensure trust.

This isn't even getting into the "features" of unrecoverable coins and no transaction rollbacks. Those independently kill any real use case.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

exploded mummy posted:

It already went through the choking itself to death with virtual cats stage a while ago, except with satoshi dice.

its choked now with actual trading.

too soon for prime time but still very valuable

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I just cashed out all my initial investment of about 250 dollars so anything I make after this is “profit”. Plus my video cards paid for themselves.

I seriously can’t believe that one idiot who said BTC at 100,000, but here we are, 20% of the way there

It was so stupid when it was at 3,000

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

bitcoin is going to at least $100,000 you stupid loving ants :thumbsup: :thumbsup: enjoy missing out

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
The first few pages of this thread are loving hilarious now.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

HCFJ posted:

The first few pages of this thread are loving hilarious now.

You should check out the past years threads before Bitcoin hit $20 for some good luls

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

stupid paranoid fucks!!! :tinfoil: iota is the future currency, :sympathy: sorry you're going to miss out ...... now :fuckoff:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

COMRADES posted:

reddit posted:

You never pay capital gains if you never sell. The only tax I intend to pay with my bitcoin is sales tax.

Is his plan just to buy goods a little bit at a time directly with Bitcoins hoping that the IRS won't notice?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
If you want to see the 5 stages of grief, they're all on the front page of that subreddit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

People trying to use bitcoin as a currency is downward pressure on the price. With less people liquidating bitcoin it can only go up, uP, UP.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Andy Dufresne posted:

Which would require depositing real money into a company whose primary business is Bitcoin. Independent of the underlying thing that is cryptocurrency, is there a single company in this sector that you'd trust to hold a significant chunk of your money?

$10 spent shorting in an exchange won't hurt since yall are confident in the Impending Death Of Bitcoin

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

LinYutang posted:

$10 spent shorting in an exchange won't hurt since yall are confident in the Impending Death Of Bitcoin

Shorting has a theoretically infinite downside.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Dmitri-9 posted:

Shorting has a theoretically infinite downside.

Except that Bitcoin Will Definitely Fail so there is no downside

Short the crypto, do it

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

LinYutang posted:

Except that Bitcoin Will Definitely Fail so there is no downside

Short the crypto, do it

While the price is being nakedly manipulated? I'm betting the price goes down while an exchange is printing $60 million dollars. Sounds like a smart bet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dmitri-9 posted:

While the price is being nakedly manipulated? I'm betting the price goes down while an exchange is printing $60 million dollars. Sounds like a smart bet.

I bet you won't short it. loving coward.

Actually don't , don't put your money into this nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

kolby posted:

If you want to see the 5 stages of grief, they're all on the front page of that subreddit

This is the same bullshit for every exchange failure so why not apply it for nicehash. I doubt there's going to be any recovery. I did try out nicehash a couple of weekends ago and had a whole $2.50 worth of btc. It'll suck when that's equivalent to $70,000 next week.

Some details of the transactions looting the nicehash wallet.
https://www.justcryptonews.com/292/nicehash-hack-heres-how-they-stole-4736-btc-community-doubt

The wallet address has a market value of $75m USD so maybe it was just time to cut and run.
https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1EnJHhq8Jq8vDuZA5ahVh6H4t6jh1mB4rq

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 7, 2017