Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

kilus aof posted:

Let this be a lesson for us all. Never overestimate the reasoning power of a group of idiots.

Nice gimmick account show your balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

I thought that bridge pic originated here?

Yeah, that's actually one of ours. I should know - I'm the signal booster. I pilfer every loving thing.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

I'm the background dog barking at this POS tech demo lmao

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's still there. Unless I doxx derek's nipples or something, I'm not leaving folks.

Good because next up is where I wanted to discuss this Boston Butt I am smoking today for pulled port sandwiches. Kaiser or onion rolls? And with what coleslaw do you prefer topping them with?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that's actually one of ours. I should know - I'm the signal booster. I pilfer every loving thing.

You filthy hoarder.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Looks good,can't wait to not buy it but instead watch other people play it on youtube.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

EVE is making some increasingly robust inroads into the F2P market. I'm curious to see if this is something they feel is really working out for them or if they're hoping to bring in sufficient fresh blood to stay afloat.

I suppose GW2 fits into a somewhat similar category?

CCP just refined out the whale model, but in this regard the whale is a paying subscriber. Opening the gates to everyone produces the content for the whales to consume. That they also closed the grey cash market by having a interchange between ingame currency and real money in terms of Plex.

So ingame, you can buy a plex and use it against your subscription, or you can sell it. Once you've bought a plex, you can also resell it. And they can be destroyed.

https://www.themarysue.com/eve-players-destroy-money-plex/ - there are a tonne more examples, but it tightened the real cash to fake currency loop outside of alliance meta-transactions.

It's actually a hugely simple system where it allows people to both get a taste and to engage in the usual low level shenanigans for free, building content through the free people being part of the product.

Of course, the only way to win is not to play.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Does anyone have a link for the James Brand podcast I only ever heard a short clip.

This is the Livestream:

YOUTUBE: SuperNerdLand.... Plays? Star Citizen — Part 2 : Featuring TheStreetRoller & Derek Smart

Part of what made it so funny to me was the slow burn of it all.

It was during a period of extreme goonfear. New goon Streetroller had come out of nowhere and delivered an unexpected critical blow with his refund counterattack. The gaming press then trained all their spotlights all on the subject, the general gaming public briefly cried out “WTF is this crap?”, and Zealots were lurking on SA and manning battlestations whenever Goons or Derek made a move.

1) Goon posts some new Star Citizen article in thread.
2) Other Goons make comments on article, a mix of seriousposts and shitposts.
3) Zealots (often from /DS) race to counter those comments and try to reframe debate narrative to “Derp Shart is a jealous hack (possibly under contract from Big Evil Publishers) watching Chris Roberts succeed as he never could and so in rage he doxxes Roberts kids and tells outrageous lies in hopes of destroying this incredible game that’s achieving the impossible daily. And all these negative comments are from Goons taking their orders from Derek who is their de facto leader now.”
4) Derek eventually joins the fray and the whole thing becomes a Warlord vs. Zealots slapfight producing hundreds of additional comment volleys.

So, against that backdrop...

I’d noticed an unfamiliar twitch stream that had an unusual number of viewers, so I posted the link in the thread. Several goons quickly jumped in to the chat on the stream, eventually including Streetroller, Major Tom / pgabz and many more. Derek hops into chat not long after — thereby making this now a full-on “Man your battlestations this is not a drill!” moment for the Zealotry.

Streetroller had only recently gotten his refund and was still doing a lot of interviews about it. Given all the bad press, the Goonfear, and the 24 hour a day /DS panic riot brigade, it was unsurprising to see Zealots quickly hopping on

Streetroller starts in livechat but he joins the voice chat around 69 minutes in. At first he’s a little disengaged from the dialogue, I think perhaps because his attentions were distracted by Discord chat with Goons.

But he starts to get more engaged with the hosts and dropping some devastating fact bombs. And the whole thing slowly and surely gets nuttier and nuttier. It’s so incremental that it’s easy not to even see it — the absolute absurdity of all of it. But at some point around here, as Streetroller is recounting TOS debates with MOMA (?) on SA, it just hit me “look at this LOOK AT THIS GAME why is anyone even pretending to defend this LOOK AT IT!” and I just exploded with laughter and I couldn’t stop. I was guffawing, half-choking with tears running down my face I was laughing so hard at the incongruity of it.

Anyway, Derek shows up in the voice stream for a good stretch, then checks out. James Brand eventually joins the dialogue a bit after Streetroller challenges him to join in.

This is his arrival, only a few minutes after Derek leaves. And it, too, delivers huge laughs, in part because of the juxtaposition between totally straight-faced debate going on and the game itself being played live on screen and completely and totally falling apart. It’s just so bonkers.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 7, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

CrazyLoon posted:

I'm the background dog barking at this POS tech demo lmao

PC Gaming Status: saved

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life posted:

Marvel is dead, very recently. The rest are F2P. I'd argue that Eve and FF14 also have MMOs figured out but that's really it.

Yeah, I think those two are helped by accepting that they're not going to be a WoW-killer, they're targeting a specific niche (sci-fi nerds, FF fans) and are content with it.

Hav posted:

Nope.

People heard about the money that WoW was printing back in the day and don't consider that anyone entering the same marketplace is basically fifth wave at this point, and fighting against casual mobile games with entirely legitimate stickiness and microtransactions.

Writing was on the wall when archeage and black desert online went through initial huge builds, then recessed extremely quickly.

Hell, you can even pick up some free, now. Warhammer Online is available in an extremely stripped down format out there.

Edit: Read the pitch; they're even more ambitious that Star Citizen and they were shooting for under a million. Most notably that your character will have agency while you're logged off.
I'm sure this group of unknowns with a couple of million dollars will be able to create fully functioning AI to make it all work.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

You filthy hoarder.

It's my job, you see. :grin:

----------------

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

PC Gaming Status: saved

I get better ping times to the moon.

I think the best one was the clip AP posted. You could literally click every 15-20 seconds on the clip to get some semblance of an actual FPS while trying to enter a ship you paid dearly for.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

This is the Livestream:

YOUTUBE: SuperNerdLand.... Plays? Star Citizen — Part 2 : Featuring TheStreetRoller & Derek Smart

Part of what made it so funny to me was the slow burn of it all.

It was during a period of extreme goonfear. New goon Streetroller had come out of nowhere and delivered an unexpected critical blow with his refund counterattack. The gaming press then trained all their spotlights all on the subject, the general gaming public briefly cried out “WTF is this crap?”, and Zealots were lurking on SA and manning battlestations whenever Goons or Derek made a move.

1) Goon posts some new Star Citizen article in thread.
2) Other Goons make comments on article, a mix of seriousposts and shitposts.
3) Zealots (often from /DS) race to counter those comments and try to reframe debate narrative to “Derp Shart is a jealous hack (possibly under contract from Big Evil Publishers) watching Chris Roberts succeed as he never could and so in rage he doxxes Roberts kids and tells outrageous lies in hopes of destroying this incredible game that’s achieving the impossible daily. And all these negative comments are from Goons taking their orders from Derek who is their de facto leader now.”
4) Derek eventually joins the fray and the whole thing becomes a Warlord vs. Zealots slapfight producing hundreds of additional comment volleys.

So, against that backdrop...

I’d noticed an unfamiliar twitch stream that had an unusual number of viewers, so I posted the link in the thread. Several goons quickly jumped in to the chat on the stream, eventually including Streetroller, Major Tom / pgabz and many more. Derek hops into chat not long after — thereby making this now a full-on “Man your battlestations this is not a drill!” moment for the Zealotry.

Streetroller had only recently gotten his refund and was still doing a lot of interviews about it. Given all the bad press, the Goonfear, and the 24 hour a day /DS panic riot brigade, it was unsurprising to see Zealots quickly hopping on

Streetroller starts in livechat but he joins the voice chat around 69 minutes in. At first he’s a little disengaged from the dialogue, I think perhaps because his attentions were distracted by Discord chat with Goons.

But he starts to get more engaged with the hosts and dropping some devastating fact bombs. And the whole thing slowly and surely gets nuttier and nuttier. It’s so incremental that it’s easy not to even see it — the absolute absurdity of all of it. But at some point around here, as Streetroller is recounting TOS debates with MOMA (?) on SA, it just hit me “look at this LOOK AT THIS GAME why is anyone even pretending to defend this LOOK AT IT!” and I just exploded with laughter and I couldn’t stop. I was guffawing, half-choking with tears running down my face I was laughing so hard at the incongruity of it.

Anyway, Derek shows up in the voice stream for a good stretch, then checks out. James Brand eventually joins the dialogue a bit after Streetroller challenges him to join in.

This is his arrival, only a few minutes after Derek leaves. And it, too, delivers huge laughs, in part because of the juxtaposition between totally straight-faces debate going on and the game itself being played live on screen and completely and totally falling apart. It’s just so bonkers.

:perfect:

Until the recent land grab sale fiasco, I never thought we'd see another massive uproar of lols like we did during the Streetrollar debacle. Good times. I think the only thing that's going to top either of those, is either the release of SQ42 which gets universally panned, or the project collapses suddenly, taking Sperg Dollars along with it.

----------------

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

I'm sure this group of unknowns with a couple of million dollars will be able to create fully functioning AI to make it all work.

You mean after Bethesda has been promising the same thing since Morrowind, and yet get steadily worse over time?

Yeah, and that's a portion of the pitch.

You people and your limited binary yes and no. Successfully understanding game development is about holding two completely opposing views in your head at the same time.

Orwell posted:

To know and to not know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy is impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy. To forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself.
Easy. They're not selling land, they're selling land.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 7, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

You mean after Bethesda has been promising the same thing since Morrowind, and yet get steadily worse over time?

I'm under the impression the whole game of Skyrim is spending time modding it.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

tuo posted:

Watching them reminds me oh so loving much about how I got into coding and computer stuff in general. I played many games on my C64 when I was like six years old, typed some BASIC programs into it but never really understood what I was doing. Then my father first got a 286 where I played a poo poo ton of that "hit the other tank by calculating the wind and learning how to shoot balistically" (basically early Worms),but also never really got into much more than how to start a game. Two or three years later - my father having aquired a 486 - I picked up gaming magazine during holidays with a shareware version of Doom in it. I was so hooked by the pretty images I couldn't wait till we got home again and I could install that game.

Of course, it ran at something like 3 FPS, because I knew nothing about config.sys, autoexec.bat, highmen etc. pp. I quickly figured out that the map view actually ran smoothly, so I moved around in map view, until I heard gun shoots, switched to first person view and did glorious gunbattle in 2 to 3 fps.

This frustrated me so much, that it took about two days until I asked for help and my father (teacher at high school) organized a meeting with the son (much older than me) of the local IT-nerd teacher, who then introduced me into the fine arts of config.sys and autoexec.bat tuning. Two hours later, Doom ran fluidly, and my parents needed brute force to remove me from the computer. What followed was DoomEd level editor, first steps in installing mods, and then teaching myself to code the poo poo out of Doom.

What I can't understand: how can they actually live with 1 fps and not have their heads explode/realize that this is all poo poo? They don't come across as beeing in the CIG streamer payroll. I mean, I only participated in a single game dev project - Schleichfahrt - before turning to the dark side of business software, but I never experienced any testing environment with that kind of (or lack of) performance.

Then again, I truly don't understand game development...but I know that I couldn't live with 3 FPS Doom over twenty years ago, how can they get along with 1 FPS nowadays and pretend that everything's fine and running along nicely?

16k in you see what you want to see or are paid to see what you want to see. Like looking at numbers all day - sometimes you see what you want to see and need a fresh pair of eyes. Brains play tricks on people

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm under the impression the whole game of Skyrim is spending time modding it.

This is Skyrim's gameplay loop:

Step 1. Install Skyrim
Step 2. Install some mods
Step 3. launch game and configure mods
Step 4. Go back to step 2 and repeat until
Step 5. Your game is broken
Step 6. Try to figure out which of your 250 mods broke it
Step 7. Delete Skyrim
Step 8. Wait some time then return to step 1.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

MoMa is not Toast.
Also lol at what the rest of the game development community thinks of Star Citizen as evidenced on CE etc

Also what happened to 'Throw MoMa from the train-wreck ' as a thread title

This was a :five: thread title and I hope eventually it gets its due. It would be a nice bookend to the glorious “Big MoMA’s House” phase of the thread — which was absolutely glorious.

You can’t say the thread doesn’t love you, MOMA. You da MVP with all the shoutouts you get.

Also, BG&E2 livestream underway. I was so busy writing up the SuperNerdLand thing I missed the kickoff. Have no clue if it’s cool and good or more and worse. I heard some crap about mixing animal DNA to create new creatures, which made it smack of a French-accented 10ftChairman episode. But here’s hoping.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

And it ties back to my earlier point of "Why fidelity?" It SOUNDS cool to say "Our NPCs will all lead their own lives," but it stops being cool around the second time you can't advance a quest because an NPC you need to speak to/follow/kill has buggered off.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Refunds are actually good for Star Citizen, you see.

Yeah you can never have too much purity in your enthusiasm. Can't let it be sullied with doubt.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Colostomy Bag posted:

I get better ping times to the moon.

I think the best one was the clip AP posted. You could literally click every 15-20 seconds on the clip to get some semblance of an actual FPS while trying to enter a ship you paid dearly for.

Star Citizen: I get better ping times to the moon

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

This is Skyrim's gameplay loop:

Step 1. Install Skyrim
Step 2. Install some mods
Step 3. launch game and configure mods
Step 4. Go back to step 2 and repeat until
Step 5. Your game is broken
Step 6. Try to figure out which of your 250 mods broke it
Step 7. Delete Skyrim
Step 8. Wait some time then return to step 1.

With every new Bethesda release they manage to streamline the gameplay focus. For example in Fallout 4 you just use steps 1, 7 and maybe 8.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/938807606138765314

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mirificus posted:

e: snip long rear end tweet

I have no doubt Derek could build a game with all of those features for 20 million.

I also have no doubt it would be terrible and opening the main menu would take no less than 7 simultaneous key presses.

On the plus side there would actually be a game.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

At this point, I assume anyone trying to launch a new MMO is either stupid or running a scam. World of Warcraft has won MMOs. Nothing has come close to beating it, and some of the biggest nerd franchises have tried: Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, DC. Are any of those not free to play at this point?

And Eve Online. It will be around as long or longer than WoW

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/938520236097073152
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/938799540722733056

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I think he's mad at me or something :grin:

----------------

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"And what's the deal with airline food? Amirite, poo poo 80s comedians?"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

I have no doubt Derek could build a game with all of those features for 20 million.

I also have no doubt it would be terrible and opening the main menu would take no less than 7 simultaneous key presses.

On the plus side there would actually be a game.

Yeah, say what you will about Derek's games, but they are actual games that exist and you can play, and they do what they say on the tin

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

D_Smart posted:

I don't know what ever give you that idea.
He's probably jealous, not mad.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Why is it always so dark in Star Citizen? One of those :parp: YouTubes AP linked to (thanks, AP, those were loving amazing) even had the guy complaining that he needed his flashlight to see inside his big cargo ship. That's not appealing.

Also, the music is very well done, but whatever algorithm they're using to determine when there's music and which music it is is abject poo poo. Having "Exciting Space Travel Theme #3" playing while you're cycling through helmet options is dumb, but not as dumb as having "Elevator Music (Don't Try to Breathe)" playing during your thrilling space dogfight.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

"And what's the deal with airline food? Amirite, poo poo 80s comedians?"

Lesnick stumbles in and destroys a door.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah, say what you will about Derek's games, but they are actual games that exist and you can play, and they do what they say on the tin

Derek's games are actually exactly what citizens want. It's too bad he alienated people who spend thousands on space games and who should be his biggest fans.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Whoa whoa whoa.

There's an award for biggest oval office? Why am I not aware of this, and how does one get nominated? For a friend.

D_Smart posted:

lier.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Star Citizen makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Lesnick stumbles in and destroys a door.

This would fix a lot of problems with the game actually. You should apply for a position at CIG