Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It's impossible but I would like to see some of these Ohtani presentations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TV Zombie posted:

It's impossible but I would like to see some of these Ohtani presentations.

Same. I hope that someday he writes a memoir that details his decision-making process for this whole thing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hope he reveals that he always knew where he was going to sign but felt like loving with the owners as revenge for how lovely the posting system is

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I hope he reveals that he always knew where he was going to sign but felt like loving with the owners as revenge for how lovely the posting system is

The best outcome would be if he went back to Japan until he was a true FA. Just throwing up the double deuce as he gets on the plane home.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

The best outcome would be if he went back to Japan until he was a true FA. Just throwing up the double deuce as he gets on the plane home.

Yesssssss

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Dexo posted:

How in the world did Boston get eliminated so quickly then?
The Red Sox are the same as the Yankees

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Cubs signed Chatwood for around $40m over 3 years.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

idk anything about Tyler Chatwood but that seems like a pretty cheap pick up with some high upside.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Popete posted:

idk anything about Tyler Chatwood but that seems like a pretty cheap pick up with some high upside.

Really? to me it seems like a lot. 4.69 ERA last year (granted, Coors), close to 5 BB/9.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:stare:

Theojed, whatcha doooooiiiiiin'?

:stare:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Dafuq?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Really? to me it seems like a lot. 4.69 ERA last year (granted, Coors), close to 5 BB/9.
The year before he had a 3.87 ERA, he looks like a mixed bag for sure but considering he's only 27 he could have some good years ahead and also Coors. I'm not saying it's a genius move but I like it at a glance and I guess I'm just used to any starting pitcher getting paid insane money that 3/40 doesn't seem like a huge payout.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Road ERA was 3.49, although his road FIP/xFIP were...not good.

Doesn't seem like a terrible contract, though, pitchers are expensive these days.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's probably a pretty good sign the Cubs aren't getting Ohtani right? I didn't expect they actually would to begin with as it seems he's pretty dead set on a west coast team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

That's probably a pretty good sign the Cubs aren't getting Ohtani right? I didn't expect they actually would to begin with as it seems he's pretty dead set on a west coast team.

I dunno, I think whatever team signs Ohtani should at least try to go with a 6-man rotation, especially if it's an NL team who might have to let him play OF to get him his ABs.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am terrible at contracts but just looking at his numbers...it is fine as a #5 pitcher. Eno Sarris is apparently a big fan of him so that is nice.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am terrible at contracts but just looking at his numbers...it is fine as a #5 pitcher. Eno Sarris is apparently a big fan of him so that is nice.

It wasn't so much the AAV but the years that gave me pause, I thought he would only get 2 years.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

It wasn't so much the AAV but the years that gave me pause, I thought he would only get 2 years.

Ahhhh that makes sense. Also probably why the Cubs got him then heh.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's certainly not a bad signing, and he's a better 5 than anybody we already had.

Also this gives me some hope:

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/938843019863842818

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

However you feel about FIP or whatever but Chatwood's FIP has been below 4 the same number of times it's been above 5 and below 4.5 fewer times than above

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Chatwood was always infuriating when he came to AT&T so I'm glad he's dead out of the league

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nice.

Also just because pitchers are expensive doesn't mean you should sign bad ones to expensive deals.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/GregJohnsMLB/status/938597448959668224

:ohdear:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Nice.

Also just because pitchers are expensive doesn't mean you should sign bad ones to expensive deals.

3/40 seems reasonable for a guy with a career 4.58 FIP, 1.48 WHIP, 4.2 BB/9 and 6.1 K/9

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He's replacing Lackey as a 5th starter so it doesn't seem that bad. He's young and has a high GB rate which should help him considering the Cubs infield. Not sure adding another guy who walks everyone to the staff helps but they must have seen something.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm fine with it, I'm more interested in how the rest of our pitchers respond to Jim Hickey instead of Chris Bosio

What's the generally accepted estimation for a point of WAR up to these days? Probably $8.5M?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still can't get over the union agreeing to that bullshit. Yet another case of the owners wanting the players to save them from themselves, except in this case the union said "sure, fine, gently caress it, we'll agree to what amounts to a salary cap."

Niwrad posted:

He's replacing Lackey as a 5th starter so it doesn't seem that bad. He's young and has a high GB rate which should help him considering the Cubs infield. Not sure adding another guy who walks everyone to the staff helps but they must have seen something.

This is what's weird about the signing, considering Epstein said the Cubs' walk rate this past season was a primary reason for Bosio getting canned.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I admit I'm not extensively familiar with Chatwood, but just glancing at his fangraphs page it looks like his past issues are tied to giving up WAY too many HR's at Coors, even for a guy pitching at Coors (28.6% HR/FB rate at home this year :stare:) he walks way too many guys (back to back years of 4+ BB/9) and he can't loving stay healthy. He also appears to be a prime "FIP is irrelevant" candidate similar to Hendricks since he gets outs via the ground ball vs striking out a ton of dudes, and FIP hates you if you're not getting K's at a decent clip.

Also for what it's worth Fangraphs had him as their 17th best FA this offseason and Chatwood is considered a fairly high upside guy if he can stay healthy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The union doesn't give a gently caress about international players until they're actually on a 25 man roster though

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

The union doesn't give a gently caress about international players until they're actually on a 25 man roster though

Sure, but they're too short-sighted to see that the international spending caps are a precursor to an actual salary cap, and union leadership has been so loving worthless ever since Weiner took over from Fehr that I'd guarantee you a lot of players don't understand the importance of that issue. They don't have a Marvin Miller or Dick Moss meeting with every team during spring training to talk about the labor issues and how openly ownership wants to gently caress them, they have Tony Clark talking about the spirit of cooperation and other mealy-mouthed bullshit.

The league will go for a salary cap or the end of guaranteed contracts when the next CBA is up for discussion, since Manfred has already started talking about cost certainty bullshit, and Clark has proven himself to not be the type of negotiator who would draw a line in the sand over those issues.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Intruder posted:

The number of players the union actually cares about is probably less than 25 across all of baseball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

The league will go for a salary cap or the end of guaranteed contracts when the next CBA is up for discussion, since Manfred has already started talking about cost certainty bullshit, and Clark has proven himself to not be the type of negotiator who would draw a line in the sand over those issues.

The players will never ever agree to either a salary cap or non guaranteed contracts

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
They figured it out.
https://twitter.com/BretSayreBP/status/938840754474160133

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

This tells me the race is down to Texas, LAA, and Seattle. I'm sure the other teams have a shot since it's not purely about money for Ohtani, but the idea of him only taking 300,000 a year is crazy to me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

The players will never ever agree to either a salary cap or non guaranteed contracts

The MLBPA already didn't give much of a poo poo about the Angels' fuckery in their attempts to get out of the Josh Hamilton deal and they had no issue with Selig pissing on the CBA and JDA when A-Rod got suspended. They've established precedent under current and former leadership that guaranteed contracts, at the very least, are a negotiable item.

And, again, the MLBPA sucks at playing the long game. They gave up a ton of poo poo in the last labor deal in exchange for a few extra off days and a token increase in the league minimum.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's just the signing bonus I think. He's going to be on the typical arbitration track as everyone else, vs if he came over a year from now he'd be able to sign as a FA and make a shitload more money. Is that right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

if he came over a year from now he'd be able to sign as a FA and make a shitload more money. Is that right?

Yes. Ohtani is leaving a significant amount of money on the table by wanting to sign now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Intruder posted:

That's just the signing bonus I think. He's going to be on the typical arbitration track as everyone else, vs if he came over a year from now he'd be able to sign as a FA and make a shitload more money. Is that right?

So the Int'l money is just the bonus and he's free to negotiate a deal like 3 yr/12M?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So the Int'l money is just the bonus and he's free to negotiate a deal like 3 yr/12M?

Only after the end of his original service time requirements (because the MLBPA loving sucks). Ohtani literally has to sign a minor-league deal, same as any amateur who's drafted, but the actual spend is capped.

Edit: There were aspects of the new CBA that were literally written because MLB didn't want a bidding frenzy going on for Ohtani. The union bought that bullshit because "that money will just go to players already here in the country. :downs:"

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This tells me the race is down to Texas, LAA, and Seattle. I'm sure the other teams have a shot since it's not purely about money for Ohtani, but the idea of him only taking 300,000 a year is crazy to me.

The Yankees should trade the Padres some IFA money for Luis Torrens.

• Locked thread