Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rirse posted:

Certainly didn’t protect Danny.

you're kidding right? he assaulted those women years ago. they protected him pretty well, and he's not near as famous (read: important to Scientology) as Travolta. We've seen accusations against him before that have just kinda fizzled out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bryan Singer's days are numbered. I feel like this is going to start the ball rolling on him.

http://www.looper.com/98996/bryan-singer-responds-queen-biopic-firing-ill-parent/

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Rhyno posted:

Bryan Singer's days are numbered. I feel like this is going to start the ball rolling on him.

http://www.looper.com/98996/bryan-singer-responds-queen-biopic-firing-ill-parent/

There was a story item that dropped earlier today where Gabriel Byrne revealed that The Usual Suspects was shut down for two days because of Kevin Spacey's inappropriate sexual advancements on a crew member. That's bad enough. But then you remember that Bryan Singer worked with Spacey again on Superman Returns - another production that Singer vanished on mid-shoot - and it feels like there's some serious BINGO coming down the road for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fart City posted:

There was a story item that dropped earlier today where Gabriel Byrne revealed that The Usual Suspects was shut down for two days because of Kevin Spacey's inappropriate sexual advancements on a crew member. That's bad enough. But then you remember that Bryan Singer worked with Spacey again on Superman Returns - another production that Singer vanished on mid-shoot - and it feels like there's some serious BINGO coming down the road for him.

If even half of the rumors are true he needs to be taken down.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Fart City posted:

I don't think I can watch the Usual Suspects again.

Also Apt Pupil - Bryan Singer directing Ian McKellen and Brad Renfro.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I could see the exit of Bryan Singer as a potential pileup for Marvel's film series ambitions down the line.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think Marvel has ever used Singer, just Fox

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
TIME's person of the year: "the silence breakers"

http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2017-silence-breakers/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.avclub.com/michael-rapaport-dubs-john-oliver-a-selfish-gently caress-for-1821037610

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Michael Rapaport? More like Michael... actually nevermind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Rapaport can't get legit movie work anymore so for a bunch of years now he just hangs around saying dumb stuff on social media hoping to get some attention. It rarely works and it's always extremely transparent. For a while he was calling in to the Howard Stern Show just as a way to keep his profile up. At all times he reeks of desperation.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah, and his whole argument is basically "how dare you make a room full of rich social elites uncomfortable?"

But please, Michael, do go on about how John Oliver is a "selfish gently caress," while you yourself handwave Dustin Hoffman's accusers - the very thing Oliver himself blasts Hoffman on during the Q&A.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

peer posted:

TIME's person of the year: "the silence breakers"

http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2017-silence-breakers/

An amazing article.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You really never know where a person is going to end up. If you'd told me in 2000 that Rose McGowan would be a feminist/social justice icon in 2017 I wouldn't have believed you. But here she is and she's loving great at it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Michael Rapaport is weird but he also yells at nazis on video, he should stick to that and do less protection of powerful monsters

Article is great (and as an added bonus, the selection gives the finger to Trump, who last week was claiming he turned down being Man of the Year), biggest problem is the stories are so vast it can't begin to cover everything. Hopefully Singer is down for the count and the other people who have manages to slip by for so long will get yanked off their pedestals one by one. Burn it all the gently caress down.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Al Franken is finally getting calls to resign from his fellow Senators.

Better late than never, I guess.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WampaLord posted:

Al Franken is finally getting calls to resign from his fellow Senators.

Better late than never, I guess.

And yet, it looks like Roy Moore is going to win his election, with the RNC backing him. America.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Davros1 posted:

And yet, it looks like Roy Moore is going to win his election, with the RNC backing him. America.

"As long as he's not a democrat, I'm going to vote for him." -- actual human being, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

When they go low, we take our ball and go home.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Moore's gonna win in a landslide too. I'm thinking like a 15-20% gap. The polls are showing his lead is about half that but you know a ton of people don't want to openly admit they're gonna vote for a child molester.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Basebf555 posted:

Moore's gonna win in a landslide too. I'm thinking like a 15-20% gap. The polls are showing his lead is about half that but you know a ton of people don't want to openly admit they're gonna vote for a child molester.

Moore is gonna lose

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Moore is gonna lose

Even if we go with what the current polls say, that Moore is up 5-7 points(I believe the truth is much worse than that), how are you expecting that lead to come down when the guy is already a known child molester? There's literally nothing that could happen between now and election day that would change people's mind's, it's finished.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Moore is gonna lose

We're in post-Silver-failure territory here, we still don't have a reliable model for turnout for the fringe bloc of lunatics who showed up for Trump. Moore is probably going to sail to victory.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Even if we go with what the current polls say, that Moore is up 5-7 points(I believe the truth is much worse than that), how are you expecting that lead to come down when the guy is already a known child molester? There's literally nothing that could happen between now and election day that would change people's mind's, it's finished.

That's not what the polls say

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dont even fink about it posted:

That's not what the polls say

I've seen exactly 1 poll that says Jones is even with Moore, and all the other ones are anywhere from 3point Moore lead to 8 point Moore lead.

Anyway my overall point is that polls are bullshit, there are a ton of people in Alabama who can't wait to stick it to the libs by voting for Moore but they just aren't the types who would be polled or even would answer honestly if they were. Moore will win by double digits at a minimum.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

We're in post-Silver-failure territory here, we still don't have a reliable model for turnout for the fringe bloc of lunatics who showed up for Trump. Moore is probably going to sail to victory.

538 was one of the few pollsters saying the election was going to be close, in my mind they're one of the only reliable poll stations left.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/_Jstubb/status/938413942828912640?s=17

New Gravis shows him up by 4.

Ther Moore +7 is by Raycom media, a rinky dink local organization with no real polling experience.

0% chance he wins by double digits

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, I certainly don't want to be right. I hope to god I'm not.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think the Oliver thing got a lot more heated than he even intended it to but once it's out there he couldn't back down from it. I think if Hoffman had given pretty much any other answer they would've moved on from it. Instead, Hoffman says what so many people have said when defending themselves, which is "That's not how I remember it" and "That's not who I am" and of course Oliver is right. If that's what you've done to someone then that is who you are on some level.

This is basically a non-issue. A division of Lionsgate were going to dump the movie after a very limited release and a consortium bought it up to give it a wide release next year instead.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yeah, I think the thing to remember about then Oliver/Hoffman thing is that John Oliver is not a stupid man. He knows how to interview. There was an issue hanging in the air, he brought it up, and Hoffman completely whiffed on the response. And the added an extra dose of privilege on top of it. His defense wasn't one of consideration, but on I'm Dustin Hoffman. And that's the exact mindset that is the root of the Weinstein, Spacey, and countless other scandals as of late. The onus wasn't on John Oliver to not make Dustin Hoffman come off like a dismissive prick.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Roy Moore will win, but it won't be the crushing landslide it would have been before this. And then the GOP gets to hear for a year about how they seated a child rapist in the Senate.

And seeing some people dismiss what happened with Oliver and Hoffman because of their dislike of Oliver just amazes me.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Timby posted:

I seem to recall Silver having Trump with a 29% chance to win on Election Day morning

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fart City posted:

Yeah, I think the thing to remember about then Oliver/Hoffman thing is that John Oliver is not a stupid man. He knows how to interview. There was an issue hanging in the air, he brought it up, and Hoffman completely whiffed on the response. And the added an extra dose of privilege on top of it. His defense wasn't one of consideration, but on I'm Dustin Hoffman. And that's the exact mindset that is the root of the Weinstein, Spacey, and countless other scandals as of late. The onus wasn't on John Oliver to not make Dustin Hoffman come off like a dismissive prick.

It’s always funny reading people dismissing Oliver and LWT because “he’s not a real journalist, he’s a comedian”.

Motherfucker and his staff do more research on the subject of their segments than most cable journalists do. Cable news is 99% “a thing happened, here’s someone relevant to the thing that happened to give their thoughts on it”. That’s not journalism, that’s interviewing.

Meanwhile Oliver and his staff exhaustively research their subjects, give well-written overviews and explanation about the subject, be as fair about the subject as they can (which often isn’t much, given their focus on social injustices), and then make the segment loving hilarious. Colbert and Kimmel snarked about LWT’s Emmys but they loving earned them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Travolta's Gotti movie cancelled ten days before release, is it because the movie sucks or is there a story that asked him for comment before publishing? Place your bets!

http://www.tracking-board.com/lionsgate-drops-john-travoltas-mob-drama-gotti-sells-rights-back-to-producers-exclusive/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is no fuckin' way he did a better Gotti than Armand Assante so good riddance.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Steve Yun posted:

Travolta's Gotti movie cancelled ten days before release, is it because the movie sucks or is there a story that asked him for comment before publishing? Place your bets!

http://www.tracking-board.com/lionsgate-drops-john-travoltas-mob-drama-gotti-sells-rights-back-to-producers-exclusive/

i mean, the former is probably true but the answer to "why?" is neither of those. They wanted a big release, Lionsgate shuffled it off to one of it's subsidiaries which was gonna give it a small one, so they got let out of their contract and some big money dude is gonna make sure they get a big release next May.

The movie looks like garbage and Travolta is almost certainly someone who has skeletons in his closet, but amazingly neither of those things are the primary reason behind this move.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I guess it's "it sucks" then

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

i mean, the former is probably true but the answer to "why?" is neither of those. They wanted a big release, Lionsgate shuffled it off to one of it's subsidiaries which was gonna give it a small one, so they got let out of their contract and some big money dude is gonna make sure they get a big release next May.

The movie looks like garbage and Travolta is almost certainly someone who has skeletons in his closet, but amazingly neither of those things are the primary reason behind this move.

Kelly Preston has always seemed like a wonderful person but looking back she has to know about anything that Travolta did. I hope she hasn't been covering for him for all these years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Kelly Preston has always seemed like a wonderful person but looking back she has to know about anything that Travolta did. I hope she hasn't been covering for him for all these years.

The longstanding rumour is that she's a beard, so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The longstanding rumour is that she's a beard, so who knows?

Pretty much, there's an old TIME piece from the early 90s that's about Scientology and where they stand after Hubbard has died. There's a mention of Travolta in there and his place as a figurehead of the group but how he wanted out of it. It mentions that all of a sudden Travolta decided to stay and then suddenly announced his engagement to Preston, despite the fact no one knew they were dating. It wasn't hard to read between the lines of what they were saying.