Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
post chapter 4 Pyra Is her affinity chart shared with Mythra or do I have to grind them up separately? Planning ahead for that 5 electric/5 focus plot gate in end game and the only blades I have with focus are those 2 and wulfric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lakbay posted:

post chapter 4 Pyra Is her affinity chart shared with Mythra or do I have to grind them up separately? Planning ahead for that 5 electric/5 focus plot gate in end game and the only blades I have with focus are those 2 and wulfric

Separate. They also don't share core chips or accessories so make sure to switch between the two and equip them when you're upgrading poo poo

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

can I just say, the animation for Launching an enemy as they spin around wildly is loving incredible

Combat really has a lot of fun 'slowdown zoom-in action' moments sprinkled in, all without it managing to drag. If you were listening to the combat audio only you'd think it was a fighting game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is there anyway to see the enemy HP in number rather than the huge bar?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I do want to say (Chapter 4) that holy poo poo was the whole abandoned factory badly designed. First, they give me Mythra instead of Pyra and tell me that she's dogshit underground (and oh boy are they correct), and then send me on an entirely underground/indoor mission! I was more or less begging for the game to give me Pyra back because my combos were all built around the fire element instead of the light element, so not only was I saddled with a blade whose level 3 combo barely broke 10k due to being indoors (I assume?), but I could only combo Mythra with Mythra. As soon as I got Pyra back, those same 10k combos were hitting for around 40k or so and absolutely annihilating groups of enemies.

So what am I missing with Mythra? Once she's available as a party member, Pyra just seems better to me in every way. It probably has to do with Pyra's affinity chart being almost maxed out while Mythra's is still ranked low, as well as poorly optimized chips and aux cores (I actually didn't realize that the aux cores/chips weren't shared until after Chapter 4).

I also don't know why at the end of the abandoned factory when the Torna people were escaping, that Mythra didn't just orbital ion cannon the boat as soon as it hit the ocean. Surely that would make the threat from Jin a lot lower since his lackeys would lose their main mode of transportation?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dirk the Average posted:

I do want to say (Chapter 4) that holy poo poo was the whole abandoned factory badly designed. First, they give me Mythra instead of Pyra and tell me that she's dogshit underground (and oh boy are they correct), and then send me on an entirely underground/indoor mission! I was more or less begging for the game to give me Pyra back because my combos were all built around the fire element instead of the light element, so not only was I saddled with a blade whose level 3 combo barely broke 10k due to being indoors (I assume?), but I could only combo Mythra with Mythra. As soon as I got Pyra back, those same 10k combos were hitting for around 40k or so and absolutely annihilating groups of enemies.

So what am I missing with Mythra? Once she's available as a party member, Pyra just seems better to me in every way. It probably has to do with Pyra's affinity chart being almost maxed out while Mythra's is still ranked low, as well as poorly optimized chips and aux cores (I actually didn't realize that the aux cores/chips weren't shared until after Chapter 4).

I also don't know why at the end of the abandoned factory when the Torna people were escaping, that Mythra didn't just orbital ion cannon the boat as soon as it hit the ocean. Surely that would make the threat from Jin a lot lower since his lackeys would lose their main mode of transportation?

Pyra always hits harder than Mythra, Mytha's got the ability to make your specials refill a lot faster but generally will not hit as hard as Pyra ever.

Also being indoors/underground only prevents her level 4 elemental attack, it doesn't make her weaker in any other way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dirk the Average posted:

She is the only guaranteed light element blade in the game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I only just opened the Beast core since somebody told me to do that to open that gate to the Lila which requires Strength 2. Holy gently caress this guy is insane. I put a Movement Heal skill on him so I can wander off and heal as he goes into berserker rage. I don't even remember why or when I got the Beast core but it was greyed out for a while.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I only just opened the Beast core since somebody told me to do that to open that gate to the Lila which requires Strength 2. Holy gently caress this guy is insane. I put a Movement Heal skill on him so I can wander off and heal as he goes into berserker rage. I don't even remember why or when I got the Beast core but it was greyed out for a while.

When you fight the big old bug in Uraya that has a Blade.

But yeah, Wulfric is great and he has the best sidequests later in the game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
When do the cores from chapter 3 power back up?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

When do the cores from chapter 3 power back up?

The beast core takes a certain amount of real time, the other one powers up during a story scene in chapter 4.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The whole Pyra/Mythra thing quickly becomes a moot point once you can switch between them at will for "free". Start with Mythra, max out battle affinity to get her passive buffs, switch back to Pyra or form 3 if you have it to finish fights.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dirk the Average posted:

Did you remember to equip Mythra with chips and aux cores? They do not transfer between her and Pyra.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there blades that have arts that reduce your hp? Trying to make Azami work but I dunno really how you keep yourself at 30% hp for the gigantic damage boost consistently.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there blades that have arts that reduce your hp? Trying to make Azami work but I dunno really how you keep yourself at 30% hp for the gigantic damage boost consistently.

The only one I know is a Rex-exclusive story Blade, but it only takes off 10%.

And honestly view that as a bonus, not something to strive for. Enemies have absurdly spikey damage and hanging out at 30% is asking to die to every AoE.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

The only one I know is a Rex-exclusive Blade, but it only takes off 10%.

And honestly view that as a bonus, not something to strive for. Enemies have absurdly spikey damage and hanging out at 30% is asking to die to every AoE.

Her damage seems like its balanced around it though. Her damage output has been pretty wimpy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Her damage seems like its balanced around it though. Her damage output has been pretty wimpy.

Yeah, she isn't great. There are other rare Ether Cannons with much more consistent damage passives.

Also non-Rex characters don't have the 30% modifier art. Character 5 does much, much better with them in my experience, or even Nia.

Ether Cannons honestly kind of blow until you get the 'attack twice' accessories and are mostly useful if you go MAXIMUM ether bonuses.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ah, alright. I'll just shelf her for now then. Between her and Zenobia I'm beginning to think Slow blades are kind of crappy compared to fast ones.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I use her and havent had too many issues. I have a set of accessories and cores that boost my damage at 90%+ and one that doubles the damage of my first art used. I have her 90%+ damage passive bonus art set to X and if I get the drop on an enemy unscathed I can peel one off for like 15% of their health bar to open a battle. Its a weirdly specific set up that most of the time isnt worth it but thats the point of games like this imo, when there are one billion math systems you can care about at any given time

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

I use her and havent had too many issues. I have a set of accessories and cores that boost my damage at 90%+ and one that doubles the damage of my first art used. I have her 90%+ damage passive bonus art set to X and if I get the drop on an enemy unscathed I can peel one off for like 15% of their health bar to open a battle. Its a weirdly specific set up that most of the time isnt worth it but thats the point of games like this imo, when there are one billion math systems you can care about at any given time

Yeah. I'm beginning to think maybe I just don't have the tools on hand to make her work, but that's cool that she's not just garbage. I think I might just be spoiled by Adenine who's just great all around.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think as soon as I get Zeke I'll go hog wild on sidequests and stuff, I just want another party member to give blades to

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Leathal posted:

The whole Pyra/Mythra thing quickly becomes a moot point once you can switch between them at will for "free". Start with Mythra, max out battle affinity to get her passive buffs, switch back to Pyra or form 3 if you have it to finish fights.

That's a pretty decent spoiler

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Pyra is a great combo of healing abilities and strong attacks.

Which blades are comparable?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 7, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You can't take Pyra out of her slot, same with the other party member's main blades

Just saw your edit, Knuckles weapon type has a similar moveset to Pyra

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly for Rex I usually roll with a Spear (Perun or Wulfric depending on if I need Ice or Earth) and his unique Chapter 4 blade.

Gives him a Break/Topple/Smash. Nia has a Punch and Blitzball in addition to Dromarch which gives her boatloads of healing and a launch attack.

Note for anyone who wants to have the AI use Topple/Launch effectively, you can manipulate what Blade they have out by starting an elemental combo they can continue with that Blade. So if, say, Nia has a Fire Fist weapon you can start an elemental combo with fire or earth and then topple. She'll be in perfect position to launch them then.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When can you use Vess's crystal? It's not right after doing the sidequest, which makes sense and they explicitly say so, and it's not like I need her but I'm curious.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When can you use Vess's crystal? It's not right after doing the sidequest, which makes sense and they explicitly say so, and it's not like I need her but I'm curious.

All cores you get like that have a real time cool down. It popped after like an hour or two of running around?

There are a few other cores like that (Beast Core, a special 4th Party member core in Chapter 6 etc)

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I think it's tied to IRL time passed. I was out salvaging and it popped up said I could use her crystal. Hadn't entered the abandoned factory yet

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Why is there timer based stuff in a single player game with no microtransactions?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Why is there timer based stuff in a single player game with no microtransactions?

Its a ~*Lore and immersion*~ thing.

The cores who have a cooldown period all come from people who died, and that means the core goes dormant for a bit before it can be re-activated.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Lakbay posted:

So you don’t have to grind levels later as XP from merc missions are banked in the Inn.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lakbay posted:

Actually, that answer makes perfect sense to me. I was wondering how the game would handle that sidequest not having an expiration date - like, it can't be "usable after next plot beat" because how would you know when that is? Real time is a good solution.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The better question is “why are cores gatcha at all when the story and setting explicitly doesnt work that way”

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

The better question is “why are cores gatcha at all when the story and setting explicitly doesnt work that way”

It kind of does though? Like you always get a specific blade from a specific core, but you have no way of knowing what the core will spit out until you resonate with it. And considering you're picking up a bunch of cores from random chests or ones that were dropped by crabs...

Cores shouldn't be as common as they are though. Like you really, really shouldn't be tripping over them at any point considering they're supposed to be rare and heavily regulated.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zore posted:

It kind of does though? Like you always get a specific blade from a specific core, but you have no way of knowing what the core will spit out until you resonate with it. And considering you're picking up a bunch of cores from random chests or ones that were dropped by crabs...

Cores shouldn't be as common as they are though. Like you really, really shouldn't be tripping over them at any point considering they're supposed to be rare and heavily regulated.

Yeah I have like 40 odd common cores but I don't think cores themselves are supposed to e uncommon, it's the drivers

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Is there a way to like, turn off the UI? I love the environments in these games, enough that theyre a primary reason for me playing them, and theyre all really cool and I sometimes want to take screenshots but the UI is in the way. I can turn off the map but there's still the other poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sKp2ZdBaYI
This song is my favorite in the game so far. The music in this one, and to an extent, XB1, didnt really hit me as hard (JRPG/video game music never does despite me telling myself "Its good, you like it, you told yourself you liked it when you were a kid and didnt really listen to or think about music, remember?") but I understand the design theory in that you dont want super dramatic, loud, attention-grabbing music all the time in video games. I mean, this one itself is pushing that line: it's a little out of place because it's way too punchy to just be a map theme and it doesnt even quite match the setting, but it's such an amazing song, I love it.

Also what is a "Joint Combo Finish" and what is the difference between a "Blade Combo" and "Driver Combo", and what is a "Fusion Combo"? I didnt pay that informant dude for any of the tutorials because he actually only gives you the equivalent of a 140 character tweet explaining it in two lines. It took me forever to figure out how the blade combos actually work because I didnt realize it had to be 1-2-3 since it just points to the little element tree and says, "You can preform a combo when this prompt pops up!" I would wind up doing it regardless of what level my special was, and wonder why it wasnt working even though I had the element pattern. Eventually I was like, wait, why am I sometimes getting massive damage, like 5x normal combo damage, and getting cutscenes and poo poo?

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 7, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

I almost thought they were going to justify that when the party got Wulfric's crystal from wildlife near a Titan that was producing a new crystal as part of its metabolism - like, maybe the Aegis can turn ambient ether into core crystals or something, just give us a handwave or something!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I have like 40 odd common cores but I don't think cores themselves are supposed to e uncommon, it's the drivers

There was some good NPC dialogue to this effect about how they should be producing artificial drivers, not artificial cores.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Devoyniche posted:

Is there a way to like, turn off the UI? I love the environments in these games, enough that theyre a primary reason for me playing them, and theyre all really cool and I sometimes want to take screenshots but the UI is in the way. I can turn off the map but there's still the other poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sKp2ZdBaYI
This song is my favorite in the game so far. The music in this one, and to an extent, XB1, didnt really hit me as hard (JRPG/video game music never does despite me telling myself "Its good, you like it, you told yourself you liked it when you were a kid and didnt really listen to or think about music, remember?") but I understand the design theory in that you dont want super dramatic, loud, attention-grabbing music all the time in video games. I mean, this one itself is pushing that line: it's a little out of place because it's way too punchy to just be a map theme and it doesnt even quite match the setting, but it's such an amazing song, I love it.

I want this too, especially since you can go into first person, this game would be great with even the barest of bare bones photomode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The Agate side quest sucks

Field skills were a mistake