Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Vikings is one of the flagship historical dramas on The History Channel following the mythical(to some extent) viking folkhero Ragnar Lothbrok, his family and their neverending struggle to put their mark on the world.

Season 5, where are they now? Spoilers, obviously.

Ragnar Lodbrok: STILL VERY DEAD

Rollo: Happy wife, happy life, somewhere in northern France

Lagertha: Ruling the increasingly prosperous tradehub of Kattegat and having increasingly violent sex

Floki: Highseas adventure with Floki and his pet raven Peckers transitioning into :lost:

Ivar the Boneless: Having a grand old time in England

Bjørn Ironside: Exploring the mediterranean

The other sons: boring or dead

Vikings airs on The History Channel on Thursdays

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Reserved in case i want to do something fancy.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I tried searching and all i could find was the season 4 thread which has gone into archives. Were you guys discussing this show in some megathread somewhere or did the search fail to find the new Vikings thread? If so just let me know where it is and i'll close this one.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 7, 2017

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

This is the only one open.

That one son who got brained by the Bishop last episode mimics Ragnar's crazy head tilt far too often. It's very distracting.

Ubbe, it's Ubbe.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
He also does the "hm? "mm?" at the end of sentences a lot like Ragnar did. He's Ragnar lite.
I think Ubbe is a pretty interesting character in some ways. He tries so desperately to embody all that Ragnar was, but instead of succeeding at everything, he fails at everything so spectacularly (so far at least).

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So I'm assuming Floki is in Iceland. Or he's just straight up dead and it's a hallucination brought on by Ocean Madness just before his brain stops firing nerve cells. Could go either way right now

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
It sure looks like Iceland which i thiiiinnkk is uninhabited in ca 820?(my islandic history is almost zero)
Gonna be interesting to see what new and exciting ways Floki will find to be insane there if so.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

So I'm assuming Floki is in Iceland. Or he's just straight up dead and it's a hallucination brought on by Ocean Madness just before his brain stops firing nerve cells. Could go either way right now

They said in the little talk show in the middle of some commercial breaks (with the actors) that Floki discovers Iceland, but before this I kind of figured as well what with Greenland being icy and Iceland being green. In a way I guess they kind of spoiled that, but then again I can’t really see Floki going, “I shall call you Iceland!” especially because he thinks he’s in Valhalla

On a broader note I haven’t finished the third episode yet (I got one 2-hr recoding of both episodes and then two separate recordings for some reason) but so far I’m enjoying it. Floki looking over at that volcano in E2 was a wicked scene.

Still missing Ragnar but I’m loving the atmosphere and the sons.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Ivar is really making up for no Ragnar. He is loving insane and good. Also Henry VIII is really enjoyable, good to see what he did before he was crowned.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
For me I feel like King Harald is a great stand-in for Ragnar. He's got a similarly bewildering manner, and his openness is very endearing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ubbe was really well cast. He looks a lot like the young S1 Ragnar. And I agree that Ivar pretty much makes up for no Ragnar.

And holy gently caress is Ivar a savage motherfucker.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm rooting for Aethelwulf but I don't think he will ever find happiness. Also Jonathan Rhys Meyers is way too handsome and he looks ridiculously out of place.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Who's the young guy back in Kattegatt with Lagertha?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Fader Movitz posted:

Who's the young guy back in Kattegatt with Lagertha?

Torvi's son with Jarl Borg.

I had some serious reservations when Season 4 ended, but I'm enjoying what we're getting so far. I want to root for Ubbe but he's kind of a schmuck and Ivar is very entertaining plus they've given him enough endearing/human moments that his monstrous moments don't make me hate him. I feel like Ubbe is trying to be the Elder Brother calming presence but Bjorn already does that better than him (albeit less in a calming way and more in a dominating way).

Heahmund isn't nearly as bad as I was afraid he would be after his ridiculous intro at the end of the last season, either. I've been looking at past seasons recently and it's great how Aethelwulf's character turned around over the years. He's my favorite Saxon with Ecbert gone but as Alfred gets older I have a feeling that's going to change. I can see him being a combination of Ecbert and Athelstan even though he never met the latter.

I'm also happy that Sinric is back.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Harald's rom-com/dating show has been pretty good so far, except instead of romance it's him getting beat up every episode

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Glad there's a thread for this up. Seriously thought everyone was going to peace out after Ragnar Valhalla'd.

Re: Ragnar crazy eyes: Bjorn was doing that in the boat in Cadiz too, more so than usual anyway. Wonder if it's something that was decided on for Ragnar's sons or if it's just how the actors opted to do their thing this time around.

Any bets on Lagertha dying off this season? Seems like they might be building up to that.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I’m slowly catching up to season 5 now. Just finished season 2!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Floki gonna trip balls when he stumbles on a monastery full of Irishmen in the middle of Valhalla

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Ahh so the show is back to the Vikings are 400,000 steps ahead of everyone. Maybe they can invent guns while they are at it, feels like The Walking Dead at times.

The Ivar screaming scene was the most embarrassing thing on this show yet, RIP Ragnar you left in time.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 13, 2017

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Ahh so the show is back to the Vikings are 400,000 steps ahead of everyone. Maybe they can invent guns while they are at it, feels like The Walking Dead at times.

The Ivar screaming scene was the most embarrassing thing on this show yet, RIP Ragnar you left in time.

Yeah it's especially hard to stomach it especially when you hear History and the actors and actresses from the show praise its realism and research into history as being as accurate as they can get it. I mean, it's most definitely not a show with fantasy mixed in with history.

Nope, not at all.

Not even a little bit.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

life is killing me posted:

Yeah it's especially hard to stomach it especially when you hear History and the actors and actresses from the show praise its realism and research into history as being as accurate as they can get it. I mean, it's most definitely not a show with fantasy mixed in with history.

Nope, not at all.

Not even a little bit.

Are you saying that Odin isn't real and that waterfalls can't reverse???

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Are you saying that Odin isn't real and that waterfalls can't reverse???

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yep, that's what I'm saying.

I mean, we all heard Floki go, "But wait. Allfather, that waterfall reversing is against the laws of physics and I call bullshit!"

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The greatest joy that this show brings me is having this absurd, over-the-top, comicbook style story play out with a giant "H" in the corner.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 13, 2017

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The greatest joy that this show brings me is having this absurd, over-the-top, comicbook style story play out with a giant "H" in the corner.

Truth. This is the one show (as far as I’m concerned the jury’s still out on Knightfall) on History where I don’t care, and am even glad, that they don’t try to stick too closely to what we know about Norse history. At least they are loosely following it IRT the invasion of England. And at least it isn’t some reality show about moonshiners or gold diggers as History seems to love those shows that have gently caress all to do with history of any kind.

But the thing some goons seem to forget is that this is probably following the saga more than anything else, so I’ll never understand when people get angry they aren’t getting a true-to-life drama about Northmen.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Truth. This is the one show (as far as I’m concerned the jury’s still out on Knightfall) on History where I don’t care, and am even glad, that they don’t try to stick too closely to what we know about Norse history. At least they are loosely following it IRT the invasion of England. And at least it isn’t some reality show about moonshiners or gold diggers as History seems to love those shows that have gently caress all to do with history of any kind.

But the thing some goons seem to forget is that this is probably following the saga more than anything else, so I’ll never understand when people get angry they aren’t getting a true-to-life drama about Northmen.

Knightfall seems ok but I can't get over everyone in it being french, but they all have english accents. Why does the King of France sound like a London dockworker?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Knightfall seems ok but I can't get over everyone in it being french, but they all have english accents. Why does the King of France sound like a London dockworker?

It's a medieval setting so they talk fancy British. That's American film 101 :pseudo:

Welcome to Sicily Bjorn

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Never not grooving to that music.

IIRC some of it even made it into the show Norsemen (which everyone should check out btw).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsemen_(TV_series)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Erghh posted:

Never not grooving to that music.

IIRC some of it even made it into the show Norsemen (which everyone should check out btw).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsemen_(TV_series)

I wondered if that show was any good. On its face it seems like a ripoff of Vikings except more soap opera-ish. Does it have dark foreboding ambience and Wardruna?

And re: Knightfall, I had a small problem with the score, mainly that it seems like it’d be more suited to a kid’s heroic fantasy show. It’s just kind of out of place with the violence imho. But I’ll probably keep watching it—Vikings wasn’t quite like this, but even over the course of the first season it started to feel different, like it was settling into its groove. Hoping the same for Knightfall.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My prediction is that Bjorn becomes the holy roman emperor by the end of the season

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I wondered if that show was any good. On its face it seems like a ripoff of Vikings except more soap opera-ish. Does it have dark foreboding ambience and Wardruna?

And re: Knightfall, I had a small problem with the score, mainly that it seems like it’d be more suited to a kid’s heroic fantasy show. It’s just kind of out of place with the violence imho. But I’ll probably keep watching it—Vikings wasn’t quite like this, but even over the course of the first season it started to feel different, like it was settling into its groove. Hoping the same for Knightfall.

Norsemen is pretty funny. Think "Office meets Vikings". There's not a whole lot to it but it gets plenty of laughs per episode.

God drat Ivar is a dick to everyone, I love it.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Grem posted:

Norsemen is pretty funny. Think "Office meets Vikings". There's not a whole lot to it but it gets plenty of laughs per episode.

Yeah, this. It's a comedy that only ran a few episodes but somehow works. When Wardruna shows up they're usually taking a dig at Vikings.

Also Bjorn will clearly be a grand Sultan by the time the dust settles.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

unlawfulsoup posted:

That's pretty much one of the best scene in the last 2 seasons.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Really liked this episode. It felt a bit slow, but that's because the last episodes and end of last season was loving nonstop warfare. Have a funny feeling the opening shot of next episode is gonna be violent again tho :q:

Bjørn + Mediterranean intrigue is looking really interesting too. Little bit surprised that they are jumping straight to the Byzantine Empire stuff, i assumed that they would have some minor pillaging plot stuff before that, but who knows what's in store.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Floki continues to be the best

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Zero One posted:

Floki continues to be the best

He had a slump in I think seasons 2-3 for a short time where he was annoying as gently caress thinking Ragnar was too into Jesus, but besides that he's always been an awesome character. Especially now that he's running around Iceland all alone like a madman having deep conversations with Odin and eating mushrooms which I now realize may be contributing to all of that.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Really digging the current storylines. It's nice to finally see another capital besides Kattegat, and I'm finally finding Astrid to be interesting. Bjorn's is currently my favorite though, hopping from place to place in the Mediterranean with more time being given to Sinric who I've been wanting to see more of.

I'm not sure about the Lagertha/Ubbe alliance, but that's partly because I've been worried about Lagertha's current position since last season. She's making too many enemies, and none of them are pushovers.

Nothing much to say about the other storylines outside of that I'm enjoying them as well. I'm hoping Hvitserk gets his time to shine soon.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

He had a slump in I think seasons 2-3 for a short time where he was annoying as gently caress thinking Ragnar was too into Jesus, but besides that he's always been an awesome character. Especially now that he's running around Iceland all alone like a madman having deep conversations with Odin and eating mushrooms which I now realize may be contributing to all of that.

I feel like you were probably one of the fun folks here from sort of the beginning. Go Vikings, RIP SANTA VIKING, and I'm actually sad about what is happening with Lagertha. I guess that her time had to come, but her downfall has been kind of meh and awkward in not a fun way.

I am a little bit stoked to see what is going to happen with Bjorn THE REAL SON OF RAGNAR! :black101:

Ivar = Crazy+downs

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i will watch this show forever to repay giving the world the gift of answering the ancient question re: ivar the boneless, "was he born crippled, or was it a poor translation of a gaelic epithet (and cuchulain ref) that he gained with the Great Army?" turns out it's both, and it owns

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

zeal posted:

i will watch this show forever to repay giving the world the gift of answering the ancient question re: ivar the boneless, "was he born crippled, or was it a poor translation of a gaelic epithet (and cuchulain ref) that he gained with the Great Army?" turns out it's both, and it owns

I was under the impression that this question is in fact, not answered in real life. There's still plenty of theories about Ivar including but not limited to, "Being crippled, being impotent and/or being a dwarf"
I'm not making GBS threads you regarding the last one, there's an archeologist who brought forth that theory a while ago and who spent a large part of his career trying to prove it. Forgot his name tho, but he himself, is a dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I finally caught up to the latest episode and I am very much conflicted. I think Ivar just became my favorite character. I don't want to like a character more than I liked Ragnar tho, because Travis Fimmel played him so well. But that battle in York where Ivar is acting all crazy? Holy poo poo.

quote:

Why are the rats above ground?

Its funny all the theories that people are coming up with, from "The Vikings are hiding in the sewers" to "They set the sewers on fire" when a much more simple explanation can be found. While the Army rushed in York, the Vikings used the sewers to get outside the city and besiege it. It makes complete sense. They now have the English supplies, while the English have a city with no food. Rushing out from the main gate into the vikings will be suicide and their only real option will be to wait in the city until reinforcements arrive. Which will either not come, or get massacred leaving englishmen to die in the streets of York, fulfilling that battle priest vision. He simply got wrong who would be doing the dying.

Btw what's his name again? I keep forgetting. Was he a real guy or just some made up character?

• Locked thread