Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Digital Osmosis posted:

Planet with too much sun, planet with toxic water... planet with radiation? I honestly don't remember. The only good planet was the one where you don't use the nomad.

is this secretly also the ME:A single player thread, btw, or did I somehow totally fail to find it? because i just beat the game and i have thoughts.

No you didn't, it's presently called something like "mmm that's a tasty Bowser - the gaming food megathread" or some poo poo, and has been on maximum derail for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The Hammerhead was superior to the Mako in every way and anyone who says otherwise is lying to you and to themselves.

It had less health. Basically made of tinfoil.

Other than that, though, you're dead on the money.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I was one of those people who liked the exploring with the Mako bits in ME 1.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unlike the hammerhead, the mako was capable of withstanding the stress of a fruit fly landing on it and sneezing without instantly exploding into flames

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn’t like the mako or hammerhead but I do like the nomad. Put that hot one in your takepipe

Vehicle combat has never been good in ME so it’s cool that the nomad isn’t used for that. It handles reasonably well and the maps in andromeda are generally surprisingly navigable so overall it’s a fun range rovin’ time

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I didn’t like the mako or hammerhead but I do like the nomad. Put that hot one in your takepipe

Vehicle combat has never been good in ME so it’s cool that the nomad isn’t used for that. It handles reasonably well and the maps in andromeda are generally surprisingly navigable so overall it’s a fun range rovin’ time

I found BioWare's love of invisible walls extremely frustrating; they're worse than Bethesda IMO because with Beth I can just noclip in the console.

Also, every enemy and ally has shuttle craft drop ships. Would it be so hard for the tempest to have one as well?

I'm trying to think of games that made me actually enjoy climbing to get around, and I'm thinking really only of Far Cry 4. There were a couple inaccessible walls in that game, but they tended to be marked. And getting to a high point even near your waypoint meant you could just wingsuit glide down to it. Plus those autogyros kicked so much rear end.

me:a2 isn't going to happen, but someone should put a loving autogyro in it

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Digital Osmosis posted:

I'm trying to think of games that made me actually enjoy climbing to get around, and I'm thinking really only of Far Cry 4. There were a couple inaccessible walls in that game, but they tended to be marked. And getting to a high point even near your waypoint meant you could just wingsuit glide down to it. Plus those autogyros kicked so much rear end.

Just Cause has the best climbing (Because you're not climbing.)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve never had a problem with invisible walls because I Respect The Content and don’t try to go past them

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Thor-Stryker posted:

The rightest opinion in this thread

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

chiasaur11 posted:

It had less health. Basically made of tinfoil.

Other than that, though, you're dead on the money.

Digirat posted:

Unlike the hammerhead, the mako was capable of withstanding the stress of a fruit fly landing on it and sneezing without instantly exploding into flames
It had Battletech grade jumpjets and infinite homing missiles; you were supposed to dodge the incoming shots while raining hellfire, not tank them :colbert: you have no one to blame but yourselves.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got the Nomad on Eos and went tearing up a hill, noticing small aggro animals were in my way. I tried to run them over and nothing happened to them. This is BULLSHIT! :argh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You actually can ram things, the game just has to be in the right mood and it has to be a tuesday.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

I got the Nomad on Eos and went tearing up a hill, noticing small aggro animals were in my way. I tried to run them over and nothing happened to them. This is BULLSHIT! :argh:

I could swear I remember ploughing through bugs with the Nomad and killing them. Granted, I didn't see carmageddon style gibs but I distinctly remember killing them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I want to run them over and hear Cora go "WOOOOOO!" as we blast off into the sunset, bugparts splashing across the windscreen.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cora is actually protecting them all with a biotic field. She’s an asari huntress you know

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Digirat posted:

You actually can ram things, the game just has to be in the right mood and it has to be a tuesday.

Pretty much this. The Mako left it for dead in that regard.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ainsley McTree posted:

Cora is actually protecting them all with a biotic field. She’s an asari huntress you know

The only good thing the other ME thread ever came up with was Weeablue.

E: ok, tiny ryder was funny too.
"Dammit he got in the vents again!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since I can't find the single player thread just going to ask here. Is there any way to get more than 3 active powers on the pc because lol what the gently caress were they thinking

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

Since I can't find the single player thread just going to ask here. Is there any way to get more than 3 active powers on the pc because lol what the gently caress were they thinking

Noooope

You have to pause, go into your power menu, swap it out, and then go back in

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

On my restart I'm using incinerate, overload and shield drain and so far it's going okay. I'd like a SMG instead of using the AR but I expect to find one eventually.

Finished the big action sequence on Eos and... it was alright. Some very cool environments. I'm looking at this game as being sort of like DA:I, and trying not to get burned out chasing side quests. So far the biggest difference is how much more polished the DA:I characters were in terms of appearance, writing and voice acting.

The VA for the Salerian boss on the Nexus is absolutely horrid. Laughably, shockingly bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Noooope

insanely dumb lol not even a power wheel smh. Guess i'll go all passive powers other than the 3 i can be bothered to use then

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

On my restart I'm using incinerate, overload and shield drain and so far it's going okay. I'd like a SMG instead of using the AR but I expect to find one eventually.

Finished the big action sequence on Eos and... it was alright. Some very cool environments. I'm looking at this game as being sort of like DA:I, and trying not to get burned out chasing side quests. So far the biggest difference is how much more polished the DA:I characters were in terms of appearance, writing and voice acting.

The VA for the Salerian boss on the Nexus is absolutely horrid. Laughably, shockingly bad.

Be nice to kumail nanjiani

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Be nice to kumail nanjiani

Not familiar with him, but he should be forbidden by law from ever doing another VA job, especially when there are so many fantastic ones out there.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Thor-Stryker posted:

this is the first time i've written this sentence but: you're opinion is correct, i was being wrong on the internet

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Not familiar with him, but he should be forbidden by law from ever doing another VA job, especially when there are so many fantastic ones out there.

He's an actor and comedian, usually pretty good. Silicon Valley is funny, heard very positive things about the Big Sick.

Him sucking here is pretty unusual, and why it feels like the directing had to be off.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 9, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

He's an actor and comedian, usually pretty good. Silicon Valley is funny, heard very positive things about the Big Sikh.

Him sucking here is pretty unusual, and why it feels like the directing had to be off.

I don't think the guy's done any voice acting before so maybe he was a little shaky, also the game is bad and the character is extremely forgettable (i couldn't tell you his name if you offered be a million dollars right now.....something with a g maybe?) so it's not a great debut

As a comedian/actor he owns though and I'm glad his career's blowing up

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

He's an actor and comedian, usually pretty good. Silicon Valley is funny, heard very positive things about the Big Sikh.

I am jumping in to say The Big Sick is great. If you've got Amazon Prime it's free. loving Ray Romano of all people blew me away.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Burkion posted:

Noooope

No you don't. You can set up profiles and quick switch between the profiles with hotkeys.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

No you don't. You can set up profiles and quick switch between the profiles with hotkeys.

Yes I can see how this is a much better option than a power wheel. Christ knows why they thought this was a good idea

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whats a good power for dealing with shields. I'm currently using 3 biotics which aren't great while shields are up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ovérload of course. Which biotic powers are you using?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I made the mistake of bringing Peebee along with me when I wanted Cora for the beginning of the Asari ark search. Those two were at it like cats and dogs the whole time! Peebee and Jaal were a much more entertaining pairing, especially when she was checking to see if he was faking being asleep.

I'm still not crafting anything since I have no grasp of the rate at which I collect critical raw materials, nor the real value of what I can craft. I made one SMG and despite the stats it was awful. With my first pod unlock I selected the hidden caches and I'm getting a decent amount of equipment that way.

The Carnifex has been my go to gun with my tech, especially since I'm getting better at jumping and evading, and I found a cryo melee weapon that has gotten me out of some tough spots by buying me enough time to run for fresh cover.

So far although this is clearly not up to the standard of the first three games I'm enjoying myself. The environments are so well done it helps make up for the shortfalls, and from time to time there's some decent writing to make up for the general blandness.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dick Trauma posted:

I made the mistake of bringing Peebee along with me when I wanted Cora for the beginning of the Asari ark search. Those two were at it like cats and dogs the whole time! Peebee and Jaal were a much more entertaining pairing, especially when she was checking to see if he was faking being asleep.

I'm still not crafting anything since I have no grasp of the rate at which I collect critical raw materials, nor the real value of what I can craft. I made one SMG and despite the stats it was awful. With my first pod unlock I selected the hidden caches and I'm getting a decent amount of equipment that way.

The Carnifex has been my go to gun with my tech, especially since I'm getting better at jumping and evading, and I found a cryo melee weapon that has gotten me out of some tough spots by buying me enough time to run for fresh cover.

So far although this is clearly not up to the standard of the first three games I'm enjoying myself. The environments are so well done it helps make up for the shortfalls, and from time to time there's some decent writing to make up for the general blandness.

I ran an adept with Throw/Singularity/Energy Drain and maxed out Tech Support as soon as I could. I would prime with singularity, hit with energy drain to proc a biotic explosion and tech support heals, then hit with throw for a tech explosion. Rinse, repeat.

For weapons I ran a Sandstorm/Sweeper as an MMR, a Ghost with a vintage heat sink for rapid fire, Piranha for close range, and a Black Widow with a bio converter for long range.

The problem with crafting is that you won't get enough resources between levels without doing strike team missions and even then you're only going to get enough for 2 specializations. You won't really have enough to make multiple sets like a full Angaran set and a full Kett set. I can't recall exactly what I used but I think it was a Heleus helmet and armor, N7 arms and legs. Bank on making new gear every 10 levels starting at x1 levels.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I ran a vanguard with seismic nova, throw with the priming evolution, and charge. That way you can detonate off either of your other powers by charging. I think I had a dhan and a valkyrie to with a talon as backup but most of the time you're in so close you don't need anything but the dhan.
Also full n7 armour for the cooldown bonus

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been using the suggestion to set people on fire for anti-armor, overload them for anti-shield and then shield drain to blow them all up. It's been working okay even with how wacky combat can get compared to the original games. I expect Peebee will always occupy one slot for biotic goodness and then someone like Vetra for additional offense. I haven't been happy with Cora/Drack running off to get themselves killed, and the others don't feel like they add anything in particular. I used to be a sucker for Zaeed and Concussive Shot but companions are inconsistent on when they use their powers.

I'm focusing on the passive buffs for companions, particularly defensive ones. Other than an early battle on the starter world none of the companions have been dropped.

I've yet to issue any companion commands. Things move too quickly and are too chaotic for me to waste time trying to place them in any particular spot during a battle.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been using the suggestion to set people on fire for anti-armor, overload them for anti-shield and then shield drain to blow them all up. It's been working okay even with how wacky combat can get compared to the original games. I expect Peebee will always occupy one slot for biotic goodness and then someone like Vetra for additional offense. I haven't been happy with Cora/Drack running off to get themselves killed, and the others don't feel like they add anything in particular. I used to be a sucker for Zaeed and Concussive Shot but companions are inconsistent on when they use their powers.

I'm focusing on the passive buffs for companions, particularly defensive ones. Other than an early battle on the starter world none of the companions have been dropped.

I've yet to issue any companion commands. Things move too quickly and are too chaotic for me to waste time trying to place them in any particular spot during a battle.

If you have Drack you really just let him do his thing. Make sure he has all of his health regen talents. It's great watching a non-Wrex murder train run around even if he yolos into your scope.

https://i.imgur.com/M7HYp6I.gifv

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 11, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Explosive singularity and Lance (god I miss Warp)
All the +cooldown gear (armor and weapons - yes you can put those on your weapons too)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

If you have Drack you really just let him do his thing. Make sure he has all of his health regen talents. It's great watching a non-Wrex murder train run around even if he yolos into your scope.

Every time I see Drack show up in a cutscene I say "Shepard..." in my best Wrex voice.

I suppose I can give him another chance. I wish that at the minimum I could assign one companion to watch my back for when those drat invisible dogs come after me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

I would have forgiven the game much if goofy poo poo like this happened to me more often. That s fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have three strike teams that I'm managing throughout the day with the mobile app. I'm hoping that will feed plenty of materials to me for crafting. I also found there were a few "packs" waiting there because I owned ME3 and DA:I.

• Locked thread