Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lupus Rufus posted:

this show is sooooo loving good, i'm really glad there's no scifi supernatural bullshit going on. Just people being people in high stakes situations. Though this episode sure did jump around the timeline a lot. Darlene/Dom was pretty cool, but like... end of that was unfortunate. Dom might be catching wise to santiago.

I'm not really sure what Elliot was doing with his hacking at the end tho; how did he own the dark army?

He put some kind of backdoor inside that e coin pdf that the dark army guys opened on their computer. The backdoor gave Elliott access to their network.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

They copied a file that was sent to one of their hackers to review as part of the fake stage 3 plan. Hidden in one of those files (presumably camouflaged somehow) was an exploit that gave elliott access to their network after it was executed.

It seems really basic and stupid for a hack that is gonna seemingly have such a major impact on the narrative but sometimes that's how that poo poo works I guess? I don't really know much about viruses

No she was talking to her alternate Mrs.Robot persona Dom

You know how they say to not open random files you download? Yeah this is kind of why. Remember that in real life the weakest link is always people—-that’s why Elliot had Darlene drop off random infected USB sticks in season one. Also this is a thing that happens on real life.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Happens in real life to real malware *authors* too. No matter how professional or state-sponsored.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boris Galerkin posted:

He put some kind of backdoor inside that e coin pdf that the dark army guys opened on their computer. The backdoor gave Elliott access to their network.

You know how they say to not open random files you download? Yeah this is kind of why. Remember that in real life the weakest link is always people—-that’s why Elliot had Darlene drop off random infected USB sticks in season one. Also this is a thing that happens on real life.

You would think that the hacker who is analyzing files from another hacker's computer who they suspect is a bad faith actor would maybe do their analysis on an air gapped computer or something instead of attaching it to their entire network but I dunno this is just an international criminal cabal funded by the Chinese government that managed to blow up 71 buildings simultaneously within the united states.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Thinking more and more about it, that's for sure the plan. They're trying to push him into revealing himself.

I hope this isn't just my wishful thinking because I want Darlene and Dom to love each other.

Edit: missed a page, lol. In response to D&D playing Santiago.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 7, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm so glad Elliot had a backup plan to gently caress the Dark Army and I hope he does so repeatedly after all they've done.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You would think that the hacker who is analyzing files from another hacker's computer who they suspect is a bad faith actor would maybe do their analysis on an air gapped computer or something instead of attaching it to their entire network but I dunno this is just an international criminal cabal funded by the Chinese government that managed to blow up 71 buildings simultaneously within the united states.

Hubris happens to the best of us, especially when you're "an international criminal cabal funded by the Chinese government that managed to blow up 71 buildings simultaneously within the United States".

timp posted:

lol @ this loving live wine glass player at whiterose's place

SLOSifl posted:

Tyrell saying “No puppet, no puppet, you’re the puppet” was funny.

Both of these were hilarious. Whiterose having her own on-staff theme music player was amazing.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Complacency is always a huge point of failure.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Ah man, seeing Angela all young and happy at the very beginning of this was so bittersweet.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Angela is falling harder then the mom in requiem for a dream :(

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I think I saw the book Lolita in Angela's hobo junk cart.

Some others also pointed out some minor lolita references last season.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's interesting to me that Angela's breakdown manifests itself as both filling her home with prepper crap like the Ecorp tubs her dad sells and Dom buys, and also intensively recreating her meeting with Whiterose to the point of blanking out generic family photos and buying the same kitschy posters.

What are the odds she'll kill Qwerty in an effort to reenact Whiterose's fish trick?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was that park with bridge in background?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PhazonLink posted:

I think I saw the book Lolita in Angela's hobo junk cart.

Some others also pointed out some minor lolita references last season.

When she was packing it looked like she had a copy of every edition of Lolita she could get her hands on. Darlene's handle is Dolores Haze and the way Angela was talking, she seemed to think that Darlene would come find and 'save' her like last time.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What is the relevance of Lolita? I never read the book.

Mameluke posted:

It's interesting to me that Angela's breakdown manifests itself as both filling her home with prepper crap like the Ecorp tubs her dad sells and Dom buys, and also intensively recreating her meeting with Whiterose to the point of blanking out generic family photos and buying the same kitschy posters.

What are the odds she'll kill Qwerty in an effort to reenact Whiterose's fish trick?

I was wondering if she was covering those photos with red and yellow sticky notes to cover elliot and Mr robot’s face, specifically? Like I feel the reveal to her that Elliot has two personalities, on top of everything else she endured, was a major part of her breakdown.

This episode had many points of human emotion/romance and it was interesting how Sam Esmail started it with Price becoming so smitten with Angela, like nearly physically seizure ridden with attraction, that he took the allsafe deal. It was a very strange (especially with the light hearted music) way to start a show where everyone gets a kiss.

Dom is still my favorite character and her sad bear personality gets more rediculously beautiful with every episode. Just geez man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I dunno how to feel about Angela this season. She's always been this sorta will she / won't she thing where she hates evil corp but she works for them but she's trying to stop them from within but she isn't but she is...

And then now she talks to Whiterose and she's a complete scientologist or something. Its too weird.

I guesse Whiterose convinced her reality is a simulation or there's some future Roko's Basilisk that is gonna fix everything, but ... comeon girl. Wake up!

The thing with her rewinding the TV and saying the people were fine... I mean I get she's having a psychotic break but poo poo. She was always sane before, and now she's totally bonkers. I mean I guess whiterose could do that but it feels like a weird turn for her character.

Mameluke posted:

:smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I wonder if Amazon paid them for an Alexa advertisement or if they just included it because technology.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I wonder if Amazon paid them for an Alexa advertisement or if they just included it because technology.

It may have started last season as just "technology", but I'm sure Amazon latched onto it this season, especially considering all of the commercials, the daily 5/9, and the Echo Dot being one of the E-Coin prizes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Sam does seem to work pretty hard at keeping the tech in the show pretty present day plausible, and there are a lot of Alexa equipped Amazon devices in the world. They would iPhone/Siri more, but those aren't really "home" devices like an Echo. Amazon was just like "Score!"

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I bet being an Amazon prime exclusive show doesn't hurt either

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zaphod42 posted:

The thing with her rewinding the TV and saying the people were fine... I mean I get she's having a psychotic break but poo poo. She was always sane before, and now she's totally bonkers. I mean I guess whiterose could do that but it feels like a weird turn for her character.

:smith:

I think a lot of it might be that she realized she was directly responsible for the deaths of the people in those 70 buildings that blew up. And she's clinging to the "everything is going to change back" thing because the alternative casts her as a monster.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mr Robot airs first-run on Amazon in the UK and I think streams on prime in the US? I assume the Alexa stuff was part of the licencing deal.

So, uh, Cisco? I couldn't tell whether or not that was him..

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was that park with bridge in background?

Four Freedoms Park on Roosevelt Island. One of my favorite NYC Parks, it's on an island and typically closes at dusk so would be the perfect place for a meet like this -- no chance of anyone stumbling by.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

blunt posted:

So, uh, Cisco? I couldn't tell whether or not that was him..

When?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It definitely wasn’t him. Just another dude handing out cds on a corner.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cisco's loving dead what are you smoking

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Someone above mentioned that Pryce took the deal b cause he was smitten with Angela. Do we all think that? While that is possible, I read that scene is “this is part of the plan, we need to go to Allsafe because <nefarious hidden reasons for 5/9>.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Feenix posted:

Someone above mentioned that Pryce took the deal b cause he was smitten with Angela. Do we all think that? While that is possible, I read that scene is “this is part of the plan, we need to go to Allsafe because <nefarious hidden reasons for 5/9>.
I also read it as him being smitten by Angela.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Maybe he recognized who she was and knew he could use her to take down ecorp?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I think he was definitely smitten with her and that's why he signed the contract with AllSafe, and I'm sure that's who was picking her up on the street corner while she was talking to not-Cisco.

And although it wasn't Cisco, I'm sure Angela thought it was, and they probably cast someone similar looking to play the role. In a few of the shots it's hard to tell, but watching the full scene, it's definitely not the same guy.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 7, 2017

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Feenix posted:

It wasn't because of 5/9. When Angela gives the job to Elliot, E-Corp is already an Allsafe client, this is mentioned on season 2 during the flashback to Halloween when Elliot puts on Mr Robot jacket and the mask and starts planning with Darlene the hack. He takes the job at Allsafe so he can take E-corp from inside.

I guess the theories that Price is her father are turning true? The mysterious donor that paid her mother's bills, and now him taking Allsafe because of Angela, guess it sort of makes sense, even if it's a bit lame. I'm willing to bet the people that pick up Angela are Price's and not Witherose. Or Price really got the hots for her, works either way.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I forgot about the father theory, although I suppose he could have started paying the bills after first seeing her at AllSafe.

And yeah, it was definitely Price that picked her up. Dunno if spoilers are needed here but IIRC there was something in the next episode clip that seemed to show them together. Also it looked like she was sitting in her dads house at one point.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 7, 2017

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dee is a bird

JitteryComa
Nov 6, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

It wasn't because of 5/9. When Angela gives the job to Elliot, E-Corp is already an Allsafe client, this is mentioned on season 2 during the flashback to Halloween when Elliot puts on Mr Robot jacket and the mask and starts planning with Darlene the hack. He takes the job at Allsafe so he can take E-corp from inside.

I guess the theories that Price is her father are turning true? The mysterious donor that paid her mother's bills, and now him taking Allsafe because of Angela, guess it sort of makes sense, even if it's a bit lame. I'm willing to bet the people that pick up Angela are Price's and not Witherose. Or Price really got the hots for her, works either way.

He did say this episode that things like 5/9 happen because people like him allow them to happen. Seems like maybe he hired AllSafe as a vendor knowing Angela worked there already so he could eventually use her to drop the plant inspection from the lawsuit by the families of the victims of the toxic waste leak. He probably was counting on 5/9 fallout to give him the opening to manipulate her.

I also assumed the mysterious donor was Whiterose since Angela's mom was apparently working on whatever Whiterose is doing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the opening sequences this season have been so money

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

JitteryComa posted:

He did say this episode that things like 5/9 happen because people like him allow them to happen. Seems like maybe he hired AllSafe as a vendor knowing Angela worked there already so he could eventually use her to drop the plant inspection from the lawsuit by the families of the victims of the toxic waste leak. He probably was counting on 5/9 fallout to give him the opening to manipulate her.

I also assumed the mysterious donor was Whiterose since Angela's mom was apparently working on whatever Whiterose is doing.

Angela only reopens and pursues the Washington township case because Colby was outed as the man involved in the cover up. This information only comes out because of fsociety actions.

The timeline of events is more or less this:

Price, Colby, and Wellick visit Allsafe based on Price desire, Allsafe is hired by Ecorp to handle their online security->Halloween night where Darlene visits Elliot and he has his first Mr Robot turn and decides to hack E-Corp by having Elliot taking Angela job offer at Allsafe->Mr Robot contacts the Dark Army with a Two Stage plan to hack into Ecorp, Dark Army accepts->the rootkit on Ecorp servers attack happens during Episode 1

Price most likely only knew of the coming hack after Mr Robot contacted the Dark Army, probably he only knows of it when the Colby leaks start to happen. Before Mr Robot, Whiterose was working on some other way to execute her plan, as her lover makes it explicit this episode. The Dark Army was planning something for some time, but Whiterose decides to go with fsociety, even though Mr Robot's plan meansmore trouble and potentially dangerous. It is possible that Allsafe was at some point considered as E-corp fail point by Whiterose, but when Price visits Allsafe for the first time, there is no 5/9 being planned by Mr Robot.

What is certain is that Whiterose had been planning for this to happen. And this, to me is looking to be fairly certain at this point, not time travel or whatever, but having the world turn to digital currency, and having her in control of the corporation that manages it, and the equipment and resources needed to create such currency(the nuclear power plants, the coltan mines). Mr. Robot revolution was just the perfect way to get it done. Whiterose obsession with time also ties into all this, cause time is money friends. :v:

As for Price and Angela, it is either that he is her real father; or that he knew her mother and feels guilty, or he has the hots for her. Him visiting Allsafe with his reaction and adamant decision, before Elliot is working there, does suggest to me that he made the decision because of Angela and Angela alone, but it wasn't because of some future hack or her going after her mother's case, all that happens after Elliot is working at Allsafe and after the Colby hack.

Also the goon that mentioned that all Angela wanted to do was smoke weed and watch Back to the Future 2, is a pretty good observation. That happens on the very first episode of the first season, Angela even says that's what she and Elliot did when they were younger. Her obsession of being able to go back to simpler and easier days has been present since the very start of the show.

Edit: Also I seriously doubt Whiterose cares for some woman that died because of her plant. This is the same woman that requires her "workers" to kill themselves if caught, she ain't giving a gently caress bout some American woman with nuclear cancer or whatever.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 8, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
uhh, is there evidence at all that Price is Angelas dad or?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

uhh, is there evidence at all that Price is Angelas dad or?

There isn't much so far. It become a theory last season, and if you check very early on the thread some people have suggested it too. However this season we do learn that Angela's mom medical bills were being paid by some mysterious donor, and now you have this episode where he lights up by seeing Angela. Price does have a soft spot for her. Until the last two flashbacks, I was mostly convinced that Price only saw Angela the same way Whiterose saw Elliot/Mr Robot, just a tool to hurt Whiterose. But now there seems to be more to it.

I mean I hope it doesn't turn out to be her father, because that would be boring, but I can see it now.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I read it as Price having contacted Ecorp for the purpose of meeting Angela. But honestly I was so taken by seeing Gideon again that I was blindsided by seeing Angela at all.

I wonder if anyone else has been an experiment of Whiterose's, like Angela and Elliot seem to be. I have a vibe that Tyrell's been a factor in the plans for a long time. We learned that Price is stuck having to appoint one of Whiterose's picks to CTO position, and Tyrell was next in line after Colby. Then Scott Knowles is picked by Price and Tyrell responds by murdering his wife. Eventually Tyrell takes the job from Scott.

I'd love to hear from Scott Knowles right about now. He must be pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gobbeldygook posted:

I also read it as him being smitten by Angela.

Same. The Lolita references make me think that he's had a history with her, and I'm betting it's revealed that he had something to do with Washington Township 20 years ago. The intro makes the point that he drug the IT officers out to meet with Allsafe, an otherwise unmemorable company that they wouldn't have looked twice at, I'm betting that he knew ahead of time that Angela worked there.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This made me really happy to see, the technical details are always on point with this show. He's basically finding a flaw in the PDF viewer (evince) that he expects the dark army to use, then crafts a malicious file to perform that exploit once they view it.

Lupus Rufus posted:

this show is sooooo loving good, i'm really glad there's no scifi supernatural bullshit going on. Just people being people in high stakes situations. Though this episode sure did jump around the timeline a lot. Darlene/Dom was pretty cool, but like... end of that was unfortunate. Dom might be catching wise to santiago.

I think she definitely is at this point. Santiago keeps finding ways to get in the way every time, she's clever enough to catch it. I just want to know if she attempted to bug him, because that would be fantastic.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 8, 2017

• Locked thread