Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My point isn't that it is potentially cheaper to fix something. It is that TVs are basically disposable and are at a price point where the time and money and effort to fix one is not worth it.

For $300 you can likely get a new tv of the same size and quality of the one you are trying to fix.

Unless that is some newish higher end tv then chances are a low end tv is better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'd love to be able to drop $300 on a new entry-level TV, but I just can't right now. Between buying my own new TV, and all of us buying plane tickets for Christmas travel, we're a bit strapped right now. I've got a mostly working TV save for 1 of its 2 HDMI ports, and a simple fix is definitely going to be cheaper (and smarter) than just buying a new (lovely $300) TV.

Now, who knows a place where I might be able to find this board? Thanks :)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Replacement boards are $60-$100, find me a comparable TV at that price point.

Replacement boards for that TV apparently may as well be $infinity apparently if you can't find the right one.

HDMI switchboxes with remotes cost $40 and are useful regardless of what TV you have.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'll look into that, thanks. Any recommendations? Something stupid easy for my parents to use, bonus if a Harmony remote works with it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'll look into that, thanks. Any recommendations? Something stupid easy for my parents to use, bonus if a Harmony remote works with it.

You don't need anything fancy.

I have this one, it automatically switches inputs for you. So turn the DVD player on, switches inputs, turn it off and it goes back to my DirecTV.

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD183...s=hdmi+switcher

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Astro7x posted:

You don't need anything fancy.

I have this one, it automatically switches inputs for you. So turn the DVD player on, switches inputs, turn it off and it goes back to my DirecTV.

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD183...s=hdmi+switcher
It is funny, the way that you phrase this, as though this is a good feature, and also, something that isn’t built-in to every goddamn switcher on the market.

I’m not yelling at you btw. I’m yelling at the pieces of poo poo who force auto-switching on us whether we like it not

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like part of HDMI CEC and can be turned off at the device level for most things.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Anything with an IR remote will work with a Harmony. I can't say I really know the market but this one sure looks appealing: https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Intelligent-Switcher-splitter-Supports/dp/B0739GSKV2/

Cheap with a remote IR receiver. You could double-side tape it to the back of the TV with a short cable hooked up to the working input and it'd be effectively invisible. It runs on 5 volt power so you might even be able to get a cord to run it off a USB port on the TV if you wanted to go as clean as possible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buy your parents a TCL roku tv

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Don Lapre posted:

Buy your parents a TCL roku tv

Reading comprehension is fundamental, kids!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'd love to be able to drop $300 on a new entry-level TV, but I just can't right now. Between buying my own new TV, and all of us buying plane tickets for Christmas travel, we're a bit strapped right now. I've got a mostly working TV save for 1 of its 2 HDMI ports, and a simple fix is definitely going to be cheaper (and smarter) than just buying a new (lovely $300) TV.

Now, who knows a place where I might be able to find this board? Thanks :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Hey, do you guys have an opinion on the TCL 65S401? I see rtings has a review of the S405, but it’s my understanding that the S405 isn’t HDR capable while the S401 is.

Is the 65” S401 a good deal at $560?

All the S series do HDR, but they are not bright enough to do Dolby Vision HDR. The S series and C series can.

The panels between the S405 and the S401 Walmart model and S403 Costco model are exactly the same. The S405 has the WiFi/Headphones version of the Roku remote while the S401/S403 has the IR/Basic version. That's it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They also don't support wide color gamut. Those TVs cover SDR well enough and are very accurate there, but they sacrifice saturation for brightness. At 75% brightness, they don't even come close to covering REC2020.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm hoping you find the logic board and post pictures of the whole process. Good luck Mr TV Fixit.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Nevermind

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

FCKGW posted:

All the S series do HDR, but they are not bright enough to do Dolby Vision HDR. The S series and C series can.

The panels between the S405 and the S401 Walmart model and S403 Costco model are exactly the same. The S405 has the WiFi/Headphones version of the Roku remote while the S401/S403 has the IR/Basic version. That's it.

I imagine it will be a pretty big jump in quality from a 720p 50” Sanyo plasma from 2008 (that cost a thousand bucks back then).

Blows my mind how cheap TVs are now, even more so if you consider pixels per inch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just had a commercial come on that was a ton of black. Just a ton of black background and stuff. I came. Loving this TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, my friend jokes all the time that my tv shut off if the black frame between commercials goes on a little longer than normal.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Any reason to *not* get this OLED TV if I want to do everything with it? So HDR/4k gaming, 4K Blu-Rays, connecting it to a PC, etc. I *love* my 55 inch from 2015 and want to upgrade my "office" TV.

Edit: Whoops, link would help.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-OLED65B7A-65-Inch-Ultra/dp/B073K7ZFNF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512639445&sr=8-3&keywords=65+inch+oled

Edit: I'm also seeing posts about you fuckers getting it for like $1,600. What am I missing?

beergod fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 7, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

beergod posted:

Any reason to *not* get this OLED TV if I want to do everything with it? So HDR/4k gaming, 4K Blu-Rays, connecting it to a PC, etc. I *love* my 55 inch from 2015 and want to upgrade my "office" TV.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-OLED65B7A-65-Inch-Ultra/dp/B073K7ZFNF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512639445&sr=8-3&keywords=65+inch+oled

Edit: I'm also seeing posts about you fuckers getting it for like $1,600. What am I missing?

The 55" is $1600 right now.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

beergod posted:

To get the B7A 65 to $1600 you gotta get your credit card to price match a scam site.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

To get the B7A 65 to $1600 you gotta get your credit card to price match a scam site.

Pretty much. There are a few sites that use bait and switch with lower prices for TVs they don't actually intend to sell.

Look online to see what CCs offer price protection. I used a Citi card. I purchased the TV from beach camera for $2100 with no tax or shipping. Then matched against some other site that had it listed for 1600. $500 is the max PP and that got deducted from my bill. $1600 total.

I don't feel guilty at all.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also buy your tv over the phone. Call beach camera or cleveland plasma and get a price.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also the guy at Beach Camera is a huge rear end in a top hat who enjoys arguing. I got the TV anyways, but man what a dick.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are multiple people at beach camera and my guy was pretty awesome. No arguing and was on/off the phone in 3 minutes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm a moron and I was wrong. It was Chris at Cleveland Plasma. I just double checked.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I'm a moron and I was wrong. It was Chris at Cleveland Plasma. I just double checked.

Chris basically is a middle man for other vendors and i think he just prescreens the people he buys from cause he doesn't make a ton off each tv.

He called me after my order and just made sure to explain everything and i was happy and got a great price from him.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 7, 2017

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Any reason to not get the TV, regardless of how much I pay for it, based on what I want to do with it (as I posted so beautifully above)?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

beergod posted:

Any reason to not get the TV, regardless of how much I pay for it, based on what I want to do with it (as I posted so beautifully above)?

The OLEDs are beautiful, it will be great for whatever you want to use it for. That said, if you are using it for your computer, just don't leave it on screen mirroring for 8 hours a day.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any difference on the B7A/C7 from black friday prices at beach camera/Cleveland?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Residency Evil posted:

Any difference on the B7A/C7 from black friday prices at beach camera/Cleveland?

C7 can do dolby atmos decoding or whatever for the built in speakers and the design is slightly different/it has black trim? Both can still do Dolby Atmos pass through if you're using a receiver.

Both are supposed to have the same panel/image quality.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The black trim is worth the extra money.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

havenwaters posted:

C7 can do dolby atmos decoding or whatever for the built in speakers and the design is slightly different/it has black trim? Both can still do Dolby Atmos pass through if you're using a receiver.

Both are supposed to have the same panel/image quality.

What have people been getting quoted for prices over the last week or so? Any change from BF?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Does anyone else on WebOs have an issue with the Netflix quality constantly fluctuating between qualities during a stream?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nope, I just recently mainlined Iron Fist/Defenders/The Punisher on my C6 and it's always been at full quality almost instantly and stays there. I do have 100mbps FiOS though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

beergod posted:

Does anyone else on WebOs have an issue with the Netflix quality constantly fluctuating between qualities during a stream?

If netflix is fluctuating that is not a software issue. It is a bandwidth/latency issue. The streams are designed to keep running, even if there isn't as much data passing and to adjust up and down depending on how many bits are being sent.

Are you using an ethernet cable or wireless? If you are on wireless, plug in the cable and see if that fixes the issue.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In a fit of mild "I'm a loving dork" disease I bought an 8 port switch and put everything in my a/v cabinet on ethernet, I can't say it's any faster or more reliable since I had pretty good service already but I can now eliminate that as a problem when dealing with network stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’m gonna do the same thing in the future when I extend wired to other parts of the house. Only concern is I already have a modem, and a WiFi router hooked up to that... it’s starting to become 3 pieces of gear I wish could be done (well) in one. The WiFi capabilities of my Netgear modem are astonishingly bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My Google WiFi has been nothing but perfect. Internet just IS. Everywhere in my house.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

If netflix is fluctuating that is not a software issue. It is a bandwidth/latency issue. The streams are designed to keep running, even if there isn't as much data passing and to adjust up and down depending on how many bits are being sent.

Are you using an ethernet cable or wireless? If you are on wireless, plug in the cable and see if that fixes the issue.

I may run the Ethernet to it but it doesn’t happen streaming 4K on any other service. Just Netflix. I googled it and it looks like Netflix had webos specific issues in the past but it sounds like that may have been fixed.

The picture on this loving thing. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’m just getting into the market for a new tv.

I want HDR and a tuner. What’s the baseline models (Samsung, Sony, LG, VIZIO or any other good brand model lines) I should start to look at? Do all VIZIOs have no tuner in them?

It’s amazing how many picture formats and technologies are out there compared to when I sold TVs 8-10 years ago and it was Plasma/LCD and 720/1080. That’s it.

Also, the OP of this thread is over 5 years old, for something that has changed so much in that time, why hasn’t there ever been a new thread?