Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Freedom and Stability Party

A speech by Micheal Janstin to Parliment

quote:

So the Guardian council has asked me to make a speech about why the FSP should be the formal opposition, and after that speech by our esteemed colleges at the KNK I think its worth seeing what arguments they brought us. And the answer is none at all. The KNK just insulted the current government and proclaimed this obviously makes them the ones worth following, which makes no sense at all: Even if all the KNK allegations are true, they gave no reasons we should follow them instead of The Community or us. And that is the case I want to make to you assembled here today, why the FSP is the best suited to lead the opposition.

The current government, fundamentally, wants to change the entire makeup and fabric of Sirtian society: You can see that already in the grandiose bills they have passed already, abolishing homelessness, hunger, ignorance, and local governance at the stroke of a pen. The SRLF ultimately, undoubtedly want to abolish private ownership altogether, and the DAL will hunting ghosts of regimes past to their grave. For better or worse, this government feels it can change SIrta with a bill and a penstroke.

The FSP is the fundamental opposite of this. We believe that the systems that mostly worked 10 or 20 years ago can work again, with a bit of tweaks and change. We believe that to rush these changes is foolhardy, and that these things take time to understand, and we believe in private ownership and the free market. In short, we are fundamentally ideologically opposed to this government. And that is what would make us the most effective opposition to it.

The other parties I hope to work with in opposition do not share this deep divide with the government. The Community voted for all the governments bills this session, only opposing the government itself, and the KNK is concerned with the wellbeing of it's ... Establishments beyond any ideological principles. The FSP, however, has a firm idea of what we want Sirta to be - it just clashes with what the Current government wishes it to be. And that is why we would make the best opposition.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

It is with solemn gratitude and dedication that I accept the position of Health Minister. I look forward to our bright future.

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
ReSeAu accepts the portfolio of Finance. I aim to serve this nation well through the efficient collection and distribution of governmental revenues.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Comrade Luxemburg

Comrades,

I'm not one for speeches, and we've got work to do, so I'll do my best to keep this short. It is a great honor to lead our first government, but we must never forget - this is the people's government, not ours. We have been entrusted by the people with great power, and must use it to serve the people - and only the people. It is our sacred duty to ensure that Sirta is never again subjected to past tyrannies, and to eradicate those that still exist. This government shall dedicate itself to freedom - freedom from hunger, freedom from oppression, and most importantly - freedom from ignorance, for who among us can be truly free when their minds are caged? This Parliament will pursue to the utmost of its abilities the total eradication of poverty on Sirta, both material and that of the imagination.This Parliament shall be the vanguard of a new age for Sirta, one free from want and suffering. One free from poverty, where the resources of Sirta are used to improve the lives of all Sirtans, not an elect few. One free from oppression, where the people chart their own course for the ship of state. One we must protect. For our revolution is not yet complete.

This first triumph of the Sirtan people is certainly cause for celebration, but we cannot deceive ourselves into believing all our battles are won. Many among the regime escaped offworld, no doubt plotting to return, and many more still here will no doubt attempt to avoid justice. There are those among the stars who would see us bent to the old ways, seeking to clap us back in shackles, be they iron or gold. We must stand vigilant against these threats to our young democracy, and yet we must also ensure that our zealotry doesn't cloud our judgement. We must always remember - we are here for the people, not the other way around.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
On the 2nd of February 3062, in the early hours of the evening, Sard’s central plaza is filled with a crowd of thousands, as it was on this day last year. However, this time, the atmosphere is very different – there are no loud chants, no violence and no desperate charges. Instead, the emotions on display this evening are cheer, triumph and, above all, hope. It seems as though all the excitement of the last three months is about to culminate here and now.

The large clock sitting atop a column in the middle of the plaza shows 19:00 and the crowd’s attention turns to the small improvised stage at the centre. On that stage, behind the solid wooden podium, a lifelike hologram appears. It depicts a figure the crowd knows well, a figure that was also here on this day last year. After loudly clearing her throat, a sound amplified by the surrounding speakers, making the excited chatter quiet down, Councilor Aurora begins to speak:

“My friends, it is a joy to see you here today. Not much time has passed since I was here, with many of you, as we strived - day by day, week by week, month by month, year by year – for our future. Many of you were strong enough, stubborn enough and, most of all, daring enough to hope for something better and to struggle, against all odds, for making that hope a reality.

Well, my friends, here we are today. Your struggle is finally over. Our struggle, on the other hand, is just beginning. You have passed on your hope to us – the Guardian Council, Parliament and the government – entrusting us with your future. Now, we must do all we can to reward that trust and to meet that hope. To that end, after a full month of negotiation and compromise, Parliament has granted its’ confidence to the proposed government.

So, with all of that in mind, I invite Member of Parliament Luxemburg to accept the position of Prime Minister!”

An overwhelming wave of applause rolls over the crowd as Luxemburg climbs the stage and stands behind the podium. Their words – “I accept.” – can barely be heard above the crowd’s cheers. It takes a few moments for the crowd to calm down and for Luxemburg to begin their speech:

“Comrades,

I'm not one for speeches, and we've got work to do, so I'll do my best to keep this short. It is a great honor to lead our first government, but we must never forget - this is the people's government, not ours. We have been entrusted by the people with great power, and must use it to serve the people - and only the people. It is our sacred duty to ensure that Sirta is never again subjected to past tyrannies, and to eradicate those that still exist. This government shall dedicate itself to freedom - freedom from hunger, freedom from oppression, and most importantly - freedom from ignorance, for who among us can be truly free when their minds are caged? This Parliament will pursue to the utmost of its abilities the total eradication of poverty on Sirta, both material and that of the imagination. This Parliament shall be the vanguard of a new age for Sirta, one free from want and suffering. One free from poverty, where the resources of Sirta are used to improve the lives of all Sirtans, not an elect few. One free from oppression, where the people chart their own course for the ship of state. One we must protect. For our revolution is not yet complete.

This first triumph of the Sirtan people is certainly cause for celebration, but we cannot deceive ourselves into believing all our battles are won. Many among the regime escaped offworld, no doubt plotting to return, and many more still here will no doubt attempt to avoid justice. There are those among the stars who would see us bent to the old ways, seeking to clap us back in shackles, be they iron or gold. We must stand vigilant against these threats to our young democracy, and yet we must also ensure that our zealotry doesn't cloud our judgment. We must always remember - we are here for the people, not the other way around.”

As Luxemburg steps away from the podium, the crowd’s cheers grow in volume.

Now that we have a proper government, it’s time to explain the mechanical aspects of being a Minister. Generally, each Minister sets their Ministry’s policies on various issues, allocates its’ budget among the various departments and programs, and comes up with projects and initiatives not mandated by law. Additionally, Ministers must decide how to handle crises and events that may come up in the areas they are responsible for. At any time, the Ministers may ask me for a report on the current state of any of these areas, and I will try to reply on short notice, either in the thread or in private, depending on the nature of the Minister’s request and their intentions.

As mentioned earlier, the Prime Minister may dismiss and appoint the other members of government at his or her own discretion, but is personally responsible to Parliament. The PM is the most public facing role in the government, and is expected to inform the people of any major steps the government takes, as well as represent the government in official ceremonies and events. So, I hope Crazycryodude likes writing speeches!

Additionally, the PM has plenty of powers and responsibilities in many other different contexts, which we will get to in due time. For the time being, there is no need to worry about them.

Now, back to the ceremony.

Once more, the loud sound of Councilor Aurora clearing her throat makes the crowd quiet down a bit.

“Thank you all for your strong show of support. Obviously, the Prime Minister won’t be the only one burdened with your hope. I will now call the others’ names one by one and ask them to accept their new positions, and their new burdens:

Victor Knapfstein, designated Minister of Justice, do you accept the position?”

Victor doesn’t waste a single moment in marching up to the podium and responding:

“I accept. Despite all obstacles, I will carry on in our struggle until every single one of the regime’s criminals gets their proper punishment! No one will evade Justice!”

The Ministry of Justice is responsible for managing prosecution on all levels of Sirta’s regular court system. Aside from employing prosecutors, the Ministry sets all relevant standards and procedures with regards to what cases should be pursued and how they should be prosecuted.

“Member Hill, designated Minister of Defence, do you accept the position?”

“I accept.”

The Ministry of Defence is responsible for the Sirta Defence Force. While the Ministry determines many of the external aspects of the SDF – such as recruitment, procurement of arms and other equipment, project oversight, areas of deployment, behavior standards and personnel compensation – it isn’t involved in operational planning on any level. That authority lies exclusively with SDF Central Command.

“Member Radek, designated Minister of Internal Security, do you accept the position?”

“I humbly accept my designation as Minister of Internal Security. May we build a stable, secure, and prosperous future, in the name of The People.”

The Ministry of Internal Security is responsible for the municipal police forces and the Intelligence Service. However, its’ control over the latter is extremely limited. It also maintains a list of individuals and organizations that threaten public safety and should face increased scrutiny from the government. The Minister of Internal Security may declare any piece of information to be “vital to the security of the people”, making it illegal to publish in public.

“Rutherford T. Vanderbush, designated Minister of Foreign Affairs, do you accept the position?”

“I would like to say once again that it is an honor to be chosen for this position, and I humbly accept. Engagement in the international community is vital for Sirta's economy, and I will do all at my disposal to ensure that prosperity comes to Sirta once more.”

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is responsible for dealing with all foreign countries and organizations. Nothing unusual.

“Danube, designated Minister of Interior, do you accept the position?”

“I'm honored to accept the office of Interior Minister. It's truly a remarkable thing to not only watch, but be a part of a free and democratic Sirta rising from the ashes of tyranny.”

The Ministry of Interior is responsible for managing citizen records and documentation, as well as social programs not associated with the other Ministries.

“ReSeAu Gen, designated Minister of Finance, do you accept the position?”

“ReSeAu accepts the portfolio of Finance. I aim to serve this nation well through the efficient collection and distribution of governmental revenues.”

The Ministry of Finance is responsible for tax collection, trade regulation, economy analysis and monetary policy.

“Member Bookchin, designated Minister of Education, do you accept the position?”

“I humbly accept the position as Minister of Education. I know I am entrusted with the future of Sirta in more ways than one, and will ensure that trust is well founded in the days to come.”

The Ministry of Education is responsible for the management of all public education institutions, the mandatory education curriculum and government research grants.

“Prime Minister Luxemburg, also designated Minister of Infrastructure, do you accept the second position?”

“Yes.”

The Ministry of Infrastructure is responsible for developing and maintaining all aspects of transportation, energy and communication. This includes the Sirta Communication Network.

“Dr. Xavier Dubois, designated Minister of Health, do you accept the position?”

“It is with solemn gratitude and dedication that I accept the position of Health Minister. I look forward to our bright future.”

The Ministry of Health is responsible for managing all public hospitals and clinics, as well as medical research, health regulations and epidemic prevention.

“Roger Rockwell, designated Attorney General, do you accept the position?”

“Yes, with enthusiasm. I look forward to working with our first democratic government in decades.”

The Attorney General is charged with advising the government on legal matters, as well as representing it in court.

“That’s all for our new government. These people carry your hopes and dreams with them. From tomorrow on, they shall try their best to make them a reality.

The acceptance ceremony is now officially over, but I want to use this opportunity for another announcement. In any proper democracy, the government can’t just do whatever it pleases. The minority makes themselves heard through the voices of the opposition, who have the important responsibility of criticizing the government’s conduct and holding it to account. Their role is vital to the health of any democracy, as it ensures that the government remains honest and able to justify its’ decisions, preventing misconduct and corruption.

This is why I use this occasion to announce the Guardian Council’s choice for Leader of Opposition – Micheal Janstin, leader of the Freedom and Stability Party and former cabinet minister under Vallstein. Who knows, perhaps some day he will be Prime Minister and his party’s ambition of restoring the “stability” of times past will be a reality!”

A series of uncertain murmurs passes through the crowd at her words, but her bold and reassuring smile manages to calm them down.

“Then again, perhaps not. My friends, in our democracy, the ones with the power to determine your future are you yourselves. We are only the means by which your will manifests itself.”

The Leader of Opposition has a variety of tools in their disposal to effectively oppose government policy and make the government justify its’ actions. I will go over each of those tools when we reach their proper context, but for now here is one of them – the Leader of Opposition may ask the government five specific questions each month and the relevant Minister is obligated to respond with the full information they have on the topic.This is a constitutional duty, so failure to provide an accurate and timely response may see Ministers removed form their positions by the Constitutional Court.

“This is all from me for now. Enjoy yourselves tonight, since tomorrow marks the dawn of a new era for our society. I believe it will be a good one.”

The hologram disappears and the speakers begin playing the instrumental version of Today, We Sing of Freedom. It doesn’t take long for the entire crowd to be singing along, many of them knowing the lyrics by heart. The Ministers of government join in, sharing in the crowd’s infectious excitement and jubilation, if only for tonight…

That’s it. The government is now fully operational, albeit lacking a proper budget. The Ministers may begin asking me for reports on the topics they want to focus on first, and setting policies in areas they are already familiar with. They may not make any budgetary arrangements yet, since there is no approved Budget Bill.

Speaking of which, the government needs to present and pass a Budget Bill in Parliament this month or automatically lose its’ confidence. The Budget Bill should describe the monthly allocation of funds among the Ministries and any external programs or bodies (such as the Truth and Reconciliation Commission which you’ve recently passed into law) via either percentages (e.g. “The Ministry of Defence gets 30% of our income every month.”) credits (e.g. “The Ministry of Education gets 60 million NSC each month.”) or both (e.g. “The Truth and Reconciliation Commission gets 4 million NSC plus 80% of our income each month, with a minimum of 5 million NSC and a maximum of 999 million NSC.”). The budget may apply to any number of months you specify, up to a year. The estimated income and expenses summary for February will go up later today. The Sirtan Budgetary Office’s estimates for the bills passed last month (remember that if they require funding, they won’t go into effect until you have an approved budget) will go up tomorrow.

In any event, the February 3062 drafting phase begins now and ends on Wednesday – the 13th of December – at 12:30 UTC. Good luck!

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 8, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Members of Parliament, we have a lot of work ahead of us this month. I would submit, for the consideration of Prime Minister Luxemburg, a suggestion for the staffing of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, a national hero and a woman of irreproachable integrity, Marta Kayembe.

Marta Kayembe, President of the New Sirtan Bar Association

Marta Kayembe, born to a family of bio-researchers in Opal, studied law at the University of Sard and practiced law in her hometown. Less than a year before Vallstein gained power, she became the youngest high judge in Sirtan history with her appointment to the Opal Region High Court. Kayembe became nationally famous as the judge of the sensational Mohammed Cook trial of 3035-3037, in which Cook, the police chief of Opal and an outspoken critic of Vallstein, was charged with corruption. Kayembe declared three mistrials for jury intimidation and witness tampering before a jury finally found Cook innocent. The whole affair proved to be quite embarrassing for the regime. A few weeks after the verdict was rendered, Cook was killed in an apparent robbery gone wrong, and the next day, Cook's attorney and Kayembe were arrested on trumped-up corruption charges of their own. Kayembe was sentenced to 12 years in prison by a more pliable judge and disbarred.

In the final years of the regime, Kayembe became an organizer in the Popular Resistance. After the coup that toppled the Greene government, Kayembe was among the founding members of the New Sirtan Bar Association, intended to replace the old, corrupt body, and she was elected President of the association. In December 3061, she published a bestselling book, "The Wilderness," about her life in prison and the years inbetween. In it, she praised the "incorruptibles," her term for honest public servants who steadfastly served their communities and never gave in to corruption even as their colleagues and bosses profited enormously from it.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Expected Government Income and Expenses for February 3062:

All amounts listed are in millions of New Sirtan Credits.

Income Breakdown: Entries are listed in the “income source – income amount – algorithmically estimated loss from tax evasion and other relevant forms of crime” format.

Meaning that, in a crime free world, you would have both of them combined.

Sources that are one-time only (aren’t replenished on a monthly basis) are marked with square brackets.

* Income tax, bottom bracket – 76 – 14

* Income tax, lower middle bracket – 80 – 18

* Income tax, upper middle bracket – 75 – 16

* Income tax, top bracket – 95 – at least 135

* Sales tax – 54 – 31

* Personal Vehicle Tax – 11 – 15

* Legal Addictive Substances Tax – 0.3 – 2.9

* Corporate Tax – 75 – too many factors for remotely accurate estimation, but at least 50

* Foreign Aid – 10 – 0.4

* Trade Tariffs – 12 – 9

* [Interstellar Foundation for a Brighter Tomorrow Donation – 15 – 0.13]

* [Remaining From Previous Month – 70.5 – 0]

* Other Sources – 1.4 – 0.6

Overall Income: 575.2

Expenses: In the absence of a proper budget, the newly formed government’s expenses are a combination of the transitional government’s expenses with the salaries of Ministerial staff and other costs associated with operating in the new organizational structure.

* Prime Minister’s Office – 6

* Ministry of Justice – 64

* Ministry of Defence – 68

* Ministry of Internal Security – 67

* Ministry of Foreign Affairs – 21

* Ministry of Interior – 30

* Ministry of Finance – 39

* Ministry of Education – 62

* Ministry of Infrastructure – 71

* Ministry of Health – 62

* Office of the Attorney General – 4

* Sirtan Budgetary Office (in unofficial capacity) – 1.2

* Regular Court System – 17

* Parliament – 10

* Guardian Council – 9

* Other Expenses - 2

Overall Expenses: 533.2

Remaining: 42

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Some numbers in that expenses breakdown don't seem right to me... why does the Guardian council (consisting of 5 AMRs) get almost the same funding as parliament (80 members and a fancy building?). Also, why does the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have more than both combined? It's taking 4% of our budget(hard to compare, but Earth governments spend less than 1% on this, even the US) , and we're a small outlying planet with not many near by threats or neighbors. I think we've found our first target for budget cuts.

Also: I don't know if this is a fair point of comparison, but if it is, what's the GDP of Sirta? It makes it easier to see proportionally how much the government is spending on things (and how much government spending is in total)

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 8, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
ReSeAu enters the building housing the Ministry of Finance. His holoprojected face closes its eyes, as if almost savoring his return to where he once was. Then he begins the walk to his office, his expression darkening as he reviews the budgetary report. His machine body begins to hum with rapid heat as he takes into account how his staff look overwhelmed and understaffed. He strides into the office, slamming his finger on the intercom

R: Divisional Managers, please submit an operations report for each area for review as soon as possible and please dispense with the usual pleasantries in the report, I simply need raw data and needs. Thank you.

it looks to be a long day, he thinks as he begins to review the first report

OOC: If AFQM will provide the following data in private to the questions below
1. Staffing/Budgetary needs for full operations (or failing that, focusing on tax collection/enforcement and audit)
2. The rationale for finances in the current budget
3. Existing rates for sales tax, trade tariff and interest rates
4. Current expected GDP growth, inflation, unemployed (expressed as a %)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek
Minister of Security

Via All-Staff Memo

To: Assembled Staff and Employees of the Ministry of Security
Subject:

Greetings, comrades!

I look forward to working with you all to advance one of the most fundamental needs of the people: the need to be secure in their person and property. For too long, those who have ostensibly been tasked with the protection of the people have in truth been their oppressor, from the casual oppression of the corrupt local policeman to the brutal oppression of Vallenstein's thugs.

No longer!

I intend to run a clean ship, and that means sweeping out the detritus from top to bottom. In coming days I will be announcing initiatives on several pressing fronts, from anti-corruption efforts to police reform. These efforts will start at home - if you have been guilty of abusing the public trust, expect to be called to account for your actions. If, on the other hand, you have kept faith with the people, then rejoice, for your day has come. Together, hand in hand, let us strive to do our very best to protect and serve.

Once reliable men have been installed in the relevant positions, I'd like info on the following
1. What my departments are (in addition to the Police.)
2. What the state of those departments are (morale, staffing, funding needs, corruption)
3. The global state of the established police, breaking down regionally/locally as much possible along the lines in #2
4. As much information on the Intelligence Service as can be gathered.
5. Any other information deemed relevant or interesting

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 9, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Comrade Bookchin
Minister of Education

Via All-Staff Memo

To: Assembled Staff and Employees of the Ministry of Education
Subject: Introductions

Comrades,

I'm not one for words when it comes to memorandums, so I will keep this brief. I know I am the new one here, and all eyes are on me. I hope that I will be of positive impact to this Ministry and all who work to brighten the futures of our children for the years to come. I know great work has come out of these halls in the past, but with a radical new government born of revolution we must ensure that work encompasses the body of the revolution as well. That obviously means to expect changes to come in the future, as Parliament will want nothing but excellence coming from this Ministry.

To that end, I present to you your first new student post revolution: Myself. I wish to know the following information when possible:

1.) Staffing/Budgetary needs for full operations of the Ministry of Education.
2.) The current mandatory education curriculum.
3.) Full details on all government research grants including pending ones.
4.) Status on all public education institutions.

In Solidarity,
Minister Bookchin

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Sirtan Budgetary Office Law Cost Estimates:

* SIRTRAK Act – This law’s cost is hard to estimate, especially since it is deliberately left incomplete, due to the high amount of variables present in the act. Nevertheless, we at the Budgetary Office have done our best to present relevant figures for most plausible eventualities:

- The act mentions compensation of current owners “as deemed appropriate by the Ministry of Infrastructure”. We can’t account for what the Ministry will deem “appropriate” but at the very least we can reasonably expect the relevant companies to request a full advance payment of the remainder of amounts specified in extant agreements and contracts for the current year. This sum is about 8 million NSC to be paid in bulk. Further compensation may be requested for the loss of future income. Though it is not required of this office, we recommend a significant reduction in compensation amounts, justified by the companies’ severe negligence of contractual obligations and embezzlement allegations.

- Considering that many sectors of the present transportation network are deemed inoperable and many more have severely deteriorated due to the lack of maintenance, a repair project to restore the network to full capacity will be an immense undertaking, requiring several thousands of qualified workers. While the estimate is somewhat crude, we believe that such a project will require 6 – 8 million NSC a month until completion.

- The cost of operating the network (existing worker salaries, maintenance and auxiliary expenses) in its’ present state is 2.6 million NSC a month. Once restored to full capacity, the cost will rise to 3.5 million a month.

- A positive aspect of the act is the new income sources in the form of passenger and freight fares. Assuming present rates are retained, the government can look forward to 1.8 million NSC a month, a figure likely to rise dramatically once the network is restored to full capacity.

- This assessment doesn’t attempt to factor in the use of “penal labor” mentioned in the act, as without further details on the matter, any such estimates will amount to nothing more than pure guesswork.

* SISTER Act – In a way, proper cost estimation is difficult. However, that is merely a result of the high amount of flexibility the act grants the Ministry of Education, in both time and scope, in carrying out its’ new responsibilities.

- The act doesn’t mention how many “Civic Education Centers” the Ministry is required to open, nor does it mention anything about the size and quality of each center. Based on a cursory review of existing trade school financials, we estimate that cost ranges are as follows: 3 – 5 million NSC in bulk for opening a single center, 1.5 – 3 million NSC a month to fully fund a single center’s operations without charging tuition fees.

- Funding all current public education institutions without charging tuition fees will require an additional 28 million NSC a month.

* Census Act – To make the relevant preparations in terms of census survey forms, processing systems and statistical models, an upfront cost of 2.5 million NSC is required. Carrying out the census itself should take no more than 150,000 NSC a month.

* Care and Shelter Act – The relevant residential properties are in peak condition, so no upfront cost will be required. The act provides the Ministry with plenty of discretion with regards to the wages of employees. The monthly cost of the agency should be between 250,000 and 450,000 credits.

* Sirtan Budgetary Office Act – This “estimate” is the most accurate one we could possibly give. Our office requires 1.3 million NSC a month for proper operation.

* Bill F-1 – The present tax collection and enforcement mechanisms in the Ministry of Finance are grossly underfunded. An additional 8 million NSC a month is necessary for proper enforcement of the bill’s stipulations.

* Truth and Reconciliation Act – Estimation is difficult, due to the TRC’s ability to designate new subcommittees for investigation and deliberation. However, we can’t conceive of a scenario where the TRC requires more than 4 million a month to operate.

* PEOPLE’S ASSEMBLY Act – The reorganization of present municipal administrations will cost somewhere between 7 and 10 million NSC in bulk. No further regular expenses are required, as the assemblies are authorized to levy taxes to fund their own operation.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Aside from Parliament, the government, the courts and the Guardian Council, the constitution defines another important class of bodies – special committees. Most of them have very narrowly defined responsibilities and meet 2 – 4 times a year on average. Here they are:

* Judicial Appointments Committee – Appoints judges on all levels of the regular court system and the Constitutional Court. Chaired by a member of the Guardian Council. The other members are the Minister of Justice, an MP selected by the Prime Minister, an MP selected by the Leader of Opposition, the Chief Justice of the Constitutional Court and a representative from the New Sirtan Bar Association.

* Sensitive Information and Special Security Committee – Oversees the Intelligence Service and is the only body authorized to grant secret warrants and order detention without charges. All meetings take place behind closed doors, and revealing the discussions or decisions that take place there is a serious criminal offense. Chaired by a member of the Guardian Council. The other members are the Minister of Internal Security, an MP selected by the Prime Minister, an MP selected by the Leader of Opposition, a representative of the Intelligence Service, the Government Advisor on Public Safety and the Citizen’s Rights Commissioner.

* Defence Objectives Committee – Oversees SDF Central Command and monitors the SDF as a whole. Chaired by a member of the Guardian Council. The other members are the Minister of Defence, an MP selected by the Prime Minister, an MP selected by the Leader of Opposition and a representative of Central Command.

* Government Oversight and Transparency Committee – Uncovers misconduct and corruption in all government and civil service organizations. Can compel the government to hand over records and officials to testify. All proceedings are broadcasted live over the SCN. Chaired by a member of the Guardian Council. The other members are an MP selected by the Speaker, two MPs selected by the Leader of Opposition, two MPs holding citizen seats selected by the Guardian Council and the Citizen’s Rights Commissioner.

* Emergency Administration Committee – The supreme government body in a State of Emergency, it can issue temporary decrees that contradict existing laws. Chaired by the Prime Minister. The other members are the Minister of Internal Security, the Minister of Defence, the Leader of Opposition and three members of the Guardian Council.

Outside of the constitution, there is the Truth and Reconciliation Commission recently passed into law, whose membership and duties can be found in the act of the same name.

Everywhere I have written “MP selected by X” I mean any MP, including players, major NPCs, generic party NPCs, and even X themselves if they are an MP and aren’t already listed as a member of that committee. The Prime Minister, Speaker and Leader of Opposition are required to present their selections for all relevant committees and the TRC before Monday – the 11th of December – at 12:30 UTC.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In accordance with the concerns I've articulated about the People's Assembly Act, I am introducing the Self-Determination Act to modify the process of the governmental transition.

Self-Determination Act posted:

1. On Monday, 28 April, 3062, a nationwide referendum shall be held to allow each locality to choose the structure of its local government.

2. The question shall be rendered on the ballot as
"Should the officially-recognized local government of ________ change to the People's Assembly model, as defined in the People's Assembly Act, or remain the previously existing Representative Democratic model?"
Where the blank is the name of the local municipal or rural government body where the ballot exists.

3. The results of the vote in each municipality or rural government body shall be binding. Those with a majority of votes in favor of the Peoples' Assembly model shall transition to a People's Assembly in accordance with the timetable defined in the People's Assembly Act. Those with a majority of votes in favor of the Representative Democratic model shall not transition to a People's Assembly at this time.

4. Section 1 of the People's Assembly Act shall be changed to read as follows:

quote:

Section 1. That the local municipal and rural governing bodies of Sirta in such municipalities or rural areas that elect to change their officially recognized local government, in accordance with the results of the Referendum mandated in the Self-Determination Act in that locality, will be governed by direct Assemblies of the People of Sirta, broken out by municipal or rural area.
(a) All political, economic and social issues not under Parliament's purview will be decided upon by voting within these People's Assemblies. 
(b) The People's Assemblies otherwise will self-determine all other aspects of the meeting, but are ultimately answerable to Parliament. This includes the ability to levy tax on the citizens in the Assemblies' governance. 

5. 28 April, 3062 shall be designated a national holiday known as Referendum Day. All non-essential employees shall be given a paid day off so they may exercise their right to vote, and all possible accommodation shall be made for essential employees to be given time off to vote.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 9, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

nothing to seehere posted:

Some numbers in that expenses breakdown don't seem right to me... why does the Guardian council (consisting of 5 AMRs) get almost the same funding as parliament (80 members and a fancy building?). Also, why does the Ministry of Foreign Affairs have more than both combined? It's taking 4% of our budget(hard to compare, but Earth governments spend less than 1% on this, even the US) , and we're a small outlying planet with not many near by threats or neighbors. I think we've found our first target for budget cuts.

The Guardian Council isn't "just 5 AMRs", it has a pretty sizable staff of advisors and analysts of various kinds to properly and independently assess the government's actions in all sectors.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs' main expenses are the costs of getting their diplomats to other countries to ask for grants and encourage foreign investment and coordinating them. Considering Sirta's remote location, and the fact that information exchange on an interstellar scale can only be accomplished via ships, and therefore happens only at the speed of travel, these costs are immense. This should decline once actively seeking out foreign aid is no longer necessary.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Ministry of Internal Security Overview (February 3062):

Currently the Ministry controls the following major organizations:

* The Municipal Police Forces – Each of the cities has its’ own police force, charged with enforcing the law, maintaining order and protecting public safety. During the past two decades, and especially during the last few years, these forces were endemically plagued by corruption at every level. Aside from being used as tools of intimidation and persecution by the regime, many police officers have ties to local organized crime. While the former problem has solved itself after the revolution with the transitional government replacing all police chiefs, the latter problem has only intensified in severity, with the links between officers and local criminal organizations becoming even tighter and more obvious as they try to secure their own future in the face of uncertainty. As with many other legacies of the Greene administration, Opal is where these problems are most visible - the “gang allegiances” of the different police precincts are common knowledge, and officers are frequently seen openly participating in gang wars.

There used to be police forces in each of the rural settlements, but they are all long gone, as the settlements are policed by the CLF, or (in very few cases) a separate local militia.

Current Funding: 37 million NSC

* The Investigative Agency – A country wide organization dealing with criminal and forensic investigation. In the aftermath of the Greene administration, the agency is underfunded and understaffed, with most Vallstein and earlier era employees having abandoned it. The transitional government easily managed to remove the few criminally connected members left, but the agency is currently perceived as utterly powerless and incompetent. Early on during the transitional government’s tenure, a plan to merge it with the Intelligence Service was considered, but ultimately abandoned in favor of focusing on other priorities.

Current Funding: 3.5 million NSC

* The Correction and Rehabilitation Authority – An organization that nominally manages all prisons in Sirta. In reality, it is nothing more than a vehicle for distributing funds among the prisons, which are independently managed. Many prisons are controlled by gangs or otherwise linked with criminal elements.

Current Funding: 8 million NSC

* The Government Guard – Provides security in government offices, including Parliament and all Ministries. Is an entirely new organization, having been created by the transitional government and staffed by a mixture of new recruits from the general public and retired soldiers from the rebellious SDF divisions.

Current Funding: 2.5 million NSC

* The Intelligence Service – Charged with information gathering and active monitoring of individuals and organizations, through both electronic and human means, for the purpose of discovering and thwarting threats to public and government safety. Many assets from the relatively short-lived Department of Information have been folded into the Intelligence Service by the transitional government, and much of the Greene administration appointed leadership was removed, but other than that, it is unclear what, if any, changes were made to its’ membership, methods and procedures. As before, the service is divided into separate taskforces called “projects” (such as Vivian Grey’s THREAD) which are entirely mutually independent and opaque, reporting only to the Director.

Most personnel, resource and operational records are confidential, and can only be viewed by high-ranking members of the service itself or the Sensitive Information and Special Security committee.

Current Funding: 12 million NSC

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 10, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Comrade Radek

This will not do, upon my honor, no it will not. Regaining the trust of the people through honest, effective policing is a requirement, our first requirement in this Ministry, and I shall be exerting every effort to ensure it done.

(Will have something out once I've finished this paper.)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
To: All Staff, Ministry of Interior

It is my distinct pleasure to say "let's get back to business." I'm sure all of you are itching to get some real work done after nearly a year floating in this interim state, and we definitely have a lot on our plate in the coming months. The census will be a major undertaking, and the Care and Shelter Program, being the first welfare program established by the new government, has an importance beyond the immediate care given to the beneficiaries of the program. It's up to us to prove the peoples' faith in our new government is not in vain.

I saw a lot of empty offices on my way in today. To the old veterans, I say congratulations on your integrity.

Minister Danube

To: All Acting Department Heads, Ministry of Interior

The records left by my predecessor are curiously incomplete. Please submit an executive summary of your department, including last month's expenditures and ongoing projects, not including the census and the Care and Shelter Program. In addition, send me an evaluation of your department's staffing needs.

Real work on our new projects can't begin until a funding bill is passed, but we can lay out the groundwork in the coming weeks. I'll have directives for the census and the Care and Shelter Program shortly.

Minister Danube

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Ministry of Education Overview (February 3062):

Public education institutions in Sirta can be divided into several categories:

* Basic Education (Municipal) – The schools that provide the mandatory education curriculum. Formally divided into Lower (ages 7 – 11), Middle (ages 12 – 16) and Upper (17 – 20) levels. While officially tuition free, most schools charge parents for “supplementary costs” in order to be able to keep operating properly following the funding cuts of the Greene administration. Even with that, most schools are chronically understaffed and what little teaching staff exists is constantly overworked.

Current Funding: 27 million NSC

* Basic Education (Rural) – The same type of schools in rural settlements. While their status was similar or worse than their municipal counterparts three years ago, standardized evaluation and periodic tests and assessments were not performed during the CLF insurgency, for obvious reasons. Therefore, while still operating, the current status of schools in most rural settlements is unclear. It is assumed that their students are several years behind their urban peers on most subjects.

Current Funding: 14 million NSC

* Specialized Education – A few facilities in Topaz and Amber are dedicated to vocational training in the areas of engineering, system design and electronic maintenance. Despite suffering a funding cut during the Greene administration, they have continued providing the same quality of training by supplementing their budget with increased tuition fees.

Current Funding: 3 million NSC

* Academic Institutions – Sirta has several public higher-education institutions:

- Sard University – The oldest and most prestigious university in Sirta, it is consistently the most highly rated in both education and research. It weathered the Greene years almost untouched, with many of its’ former and current faculty forming the academic wing of the Popular Resistance. Current Funding: 6.5 million NSC

- Charlotte Pierro Memorial University – A Topaz based university, once valued for its’ strong Complex Systems Science department. Declined significantly over the years of the Greene administration, though still has some famous names among its’ CSS faculty. Current Funding: 2.5 million NSC

- State University of Sirta – Founded in Opal during Vallstein’s first term, it saw relative success during the two decades of his administration. However, as another legacy of the Greene administration, the university is all but deserted having been gradually abandoned by the faculty due to poor living conditions and safety concerns in its’ host city. Current Funding: 750,000 NSC

- Sirtan Academy for Arts and Media – A small yet well-known school for aspiring artists, writers, directors and creators of all kinds. Based in Peridot. Doesn’t seem to have declined in any way during the last three decades. Current Funding: 250,000 NSC

- Sirta Biotechnology Institute – Once the pride of Sirta, now only a pale shadow of its’ former self, as most faculty members and alumni left the country during Greene’s administration. Current Funding: 1.5 million NSC

Mandatory Curriculum: The current mandatory curriculum in Sirta follows the outlined program (subjects marked with an asterisk were introduced by the transitional government and are only taught starting from the current student year):

Lower Level – Arithmetic, English, SCN Interaction, Fitness, Drawing

Middle Level – Basic Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics OR Creative Writing OR Electronic Maintenance, Formal Writing, Introduction to Complex Systems Science OR Physics OR Chemistry OR Biology, Fitness OR Athletics, Abstract Art OR Media Appreciation OR Music, Overview of Earth History, Recent Sirta History*, Civil Society*

Upper Level – Advanced Mathematics OR Creative Writing OR Electronic Engineering, Complex Systems Science OR Physics OR Chemistry OR Biology, Fitness OR Athletics, Expressive Art OR Film OR Classic Literature OR Modern Literature OR Modern Media OR Specific Music Style, Specific Period of Earth History OR Solar Union History, Vallstein History*, Revolution Ideals*, Political Science*

Research Grants: After all but disappearing during the Greene administration, the following monthly grants are given by the Ministry of Education, set up by the transitional government (which hasn’t bothered to explain its’ choices in this area):

* Complex System Science Research at Charlotte Pierro Memorial University – 350,000 NSC – An encouragement to the brilliant veteran professors to keep at their promising projects.

* Biotechnology Projects at the Sirta Biotechnology Institute – 700,000 NSC – An attempt to call back the sun after it has set.

* Societal Modeling at Sard University – 2 million NSC – A seemingly niche new discipline based on applying mathematical models from the realm of Complex Systems Science in combination with statistical methods from the realm of Sociology to model modern societies on the macro scale, with the intention of being able to predict future behavior.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 10, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Dr Xavier Dubois

I would like to have a report of the current state of Sirta's health care, so I can have an idea where resources can be reassigned.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sorry I'm late, real life has been a tad busy. Here are my committee member appointments:

Judicial Appointments Committee: Comrade Radek

SISCO: Comrade Hill

Defense Objectives Committee: Amnesty, of the Community

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Ministry of Interior Overview (February 3062):

The Ministry has a lean structure, with only three internal divisions:

* Citizen Records – The division responsible for maintaining and analyzing accurate records on all aspects of the population. Currently has only minimal staff and the latest remotely accurate records date back to the Vallstein administration. Is the best equipped to carry out the planned census, pending further funding (see SBO cost estimate for the Census Act).

* Passes and Documents – The division responsible for issuing and verifying various official documents for individuals and organizations. Notably, it’s in charge of maintaining the biometric database for the Citizen Identification Cards that every citizen must carry on their person at all times. Is reasonably staffed and funded, though more funds certainly wouldn’t hurt.

Current Funding: 7.5 million NSC

* Social Welfare – The division responsible for carrying out various social programs and projects not covered by the other Ministries. The planned Care and Shelter Agency could be placed under its’ authority, or managed as a separate entity under the Ministry. The current social programs are:

- Unemployment Allowance – Every citizen with no registered source of income is entitled to a modest allowance intended to cover basic living needs until they can find a new income source. Unfortunately, since the unemployment rate has risen sharply over the years of the Greene administration and funding for this program hasn’t experienced a corresponding rise, the individual allowance was lowered. Moreover, many unemployed citizens don’t receive an allowance at all.

Current Funding: 5 million NSC

- Disability Allowance – Every citizen with a physical or mental disability inhibiting their regular interactions with society or ability to work is entitled to an allowance, which varies in size depending on the severity of the impairment. Is generally perceived to be much lower than what is necessary for survival.

Current Funding: 2 million NSC

- Food and Essentials Rationing – All but eliminated under Greene in favor of direct distribution by the SDF, the program was restored by the transitional government. This program provides basic food products, toiletries and other essentials to citizens unable to afford them. Seems to work fine currently but requires significant expansion to truly cover all who might need it.

Current Funding: 4.5 million NSC

- Child Care – The program handling orphans and children from abusive families. Grossly underfunded and understaffed, its’ workers are frequently overworked. During the last year of the Greene administration, there was a widely publicized string of suicides among workers of this program.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

FSP Committee appointments

Judicial Appointments Committee: Tarquin Black (FSP MP)

Sensitive Information and Special Security Committee: Micheal Janstin(FSP leader)

Defence Objectives Committee : Valance Farasi (FSP MP)

Government Oversight and Transparency Committee: Amnesty (Community MP), Tarquin Black (FSP MP)

The government has yet to propose members of TRC, which is odd as I thought justice was one of their vital aims. In that absence, I would propose Jade Ross, William Viner, Janet Oliphant, and Silvia Collins from the Guardian council appointees to that role.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 11, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Honored Members if Parliament, I would like to nominate Ms. Janet Oliphant of the Guardian Council apointees as a member of the Government Oversight and Transparency Committee selection.

OOC: sorry for the late reply. Work caught up with me.
Whenever the overview for finance is ready, please also let me know. Thanks

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Committee Appointments (February 3062):

The initial composition of the special committees is:

* Judicial Appointments Committee – Chaired by Councilor Rhamnusia. The other members are Minister of Justice Victor Knapfstein, Minister of Internal Security Radek, Member Tarquin Black, Councilor Minerva[1] and Rebecca Arendt.

* Sensitive Information and Special Security Committee – Chaired by Councilor Ariadne. The other members are Minister of Internal Security Radek, Minister of Defence Hill, Leader of Opposition Micheal Janstin, Intelligence Service Deputy Director Alistair Farrow, Government Advisor on Public Safety Alicia Stone and Citizen’s Rights Commissioner Amber Russo.

* Defence Objectives Committee – Chaired by Councilor Saturn. The other members are Minster of Defence Hill, Member Amnesty, Member Valance Farasi and Lieutenant General William Worrel.

* Government Oversight and Transparency Committee – Chaired by Councilor Minerva. The other members are Member Janet Oliphant, Member Tarquin Black, Member Amnesty, Member Susanne Brandt, Member Grace Wright and Citizen’s Rights Commissioner Amber Russo.

* Emergency Administration Committee – Chaired by Prime Minister Luxemburg. The other members are Minister of Internal Security Radek, Minister of Defence Hill, Leader of Opposition Micheal Janstin, Councilor Saturn, Councilor Ariadne and Councilor Rhamnusia.

[1] – Councilor Minerva is there in her capacity as Chief Justice of the Transitional Constitutional Court (a role filled by the Guardian Council), and will only remain on the committee for as long as the proper Constitutional Court Justices haven’t been appointed.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 11, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

To: All Staff, Ministry of Foreign Affairs

My warmest greetings to all of you. It is a sincere pleasure to be working with such an experienced group of individuals. Unfortunately, our time for pleasantries is low. Given that we have distinctly different needs than the Greene administration, we are in the unenviable position of creating our foreign policy essentially from scratch. There is a great deal of work to be done, and it will be starting at a very basic level. As such, I would like to set the following priorities for this month:

1. An overview of our closest neighbors. In the course of my time with Apex Industries, I have worked with most of these nations, but in a capacity that required a different viewpoint. I would like a summary of their: government structure, basic history, relationship with the Greene administration, and an overview of their economy.

2. An overview of the Outer Alliance. In particular, I would like to know the membership requirements, current policies, and what members of the Outer Alliance wield the most influence within the group.

3. A summary of our existing trade agreements. While we do want a relatively clean break from the Greene administration, I would rather not interrupt commerce if it is at all avoidable. Our primary objective at the moment is Sirta's economic well-being, after all.

4. Our ministry's budget breakdown. I will fight for every piece of funding that I can, but there are others in government who would see our budget slashed at this juncture. Any information that can help justify our budget to the rest of the government would be appreciated, and would at least help ensure the cuts are distributed for minimal impact.

I have great faith in all of you. A better tomorrow is ours to craft.

Thank you,
Rutherford Vanderbush

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Ministry of Health Overview (3062):

These are the major elements of the Sirtan public health system, managed by the Ministry:

* Public Hospitals (Municipal) – There are 21 public hospitals in the cities of Sirta with varying sizes, facilities, staffing and expertise. However, there are some major commonalities between all of them: overcrowding, long wait times, a shortage of professional doctors and overstressed nursing staff.

Current Funding: 26 million NSC

* Public Hospitals (Rural) – Each settlement is obligated to have at least one public hospital. As could be expected, rural hospitals are smaller than their urban equivalents and have fewer facilities. Since the start of the Greene administration, they have also experienced severe shortages of basic medicines and qualified personnel.

Current Funding: 14 million NSC

* Specialized Clinics – There are a variety of public clinics in the cities specializing in specific areas of medicine. However, most of the narrow specialists have left the country following the rapid economic downfall precipitated by the Greene administration. As a result, most specialized clinics have closed down, with only a few remaining, all charging “supplemental fees” to keep operating despite formally being free to all citizens.

Current Funding: 3 million NSC

* Mental Health Facilities – There are currently 4 public facilities dealing with mental and psychiatric health problems in Sirta, one in each of the three major cities and a big one in Peridot called the Mental Recuperation and Wellness Center. All are overcrowded, but the MRWC is the only one able to properly cope.

* Sirtan Pharmaceuticals – A government contractor responsible for researching and manufacturing both basic and specialized medicine. In the last five years, it has experienced a rapid decline and is on the verge of bankruptcy. Some of its’ manufacturing facilities have ties to the drug trade in Opal.

Current Funding (Contracts): 3.5 million NSC

* External Trade – Due to the sorry state of Sirtan Pharmaceuticals, the transitional government has set up some contracts with foreign companies to secure a regular supply of specialized medicines. The major contractors currently are The Ambrosia Group and Cure All Interstellar, both operating mostly in Outer Alliance countries.

Current Funding (Contracts): 8 million NSC

* Immediate Response Service – The program responsible for handling medical emergencies with all possible haste. Dispatches specialized evacuation vehicles upon receiving requests through the SCN. Could use more funding.

Current Funding: 850,000 NSC

Healthcare in Sirta: All healthcare required to save lives or alleviate “major pains or impairments” is free to all citizens. Nevertheless, following Greene’s failures and the civil war, demand has risen sharply while the amount of qualified professionals has decreased, so many of those left charge patients for prompt and proper care. Those unable to afford these fees are left with many months long waiting times or receive subpar treatment.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 12, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Nighboring Countries Overview (February 3062):

* Republic of New Frontier

## Travel Time – 3 months

## Interstellar Affiliation – Outer Alliance

## Government System – Presidential Democracy

## Population – 93 million

## Current Head of State – President Margaret Edwards (64)

## Relations With Sirta – As Sirta’s nearest neighbor, New Frontier has typically been its’ biggest trading partner, with New Frontier’s major conglomerates benefiting from Sirta’s biotechnology research and products. As Sirta’s biotechnology industry declined, so have its’ economic ties with the republic, and now only minimal trade takes place.

## Brief History – Having declared independence from the Solar Union in 3024, it endured a two year long independence war and a decade of economic isolation after that. The resulting hardships shaped the country’s society and institutions, with a handful of stable and powerful corporate and religious organizations controlling access to most goods and services. Over time, these organizations have become the main drivers of the republic’s economy, government and society. The formation of the Outer Alliance in the late 3030’s and the economic relief it brought to New Frontier have eased their stranglehold somewhat, but, at this point, these organizations are New Frontier, with no changes visible in the near future.

* Unitary State of Saguenay

## Travel Time – 3.5 months

## Interstellar Affiliation – Outer Alliance

## Government System – One-Party Democracy

## Population – 126 million

## Current Head of State – Secretary General Uri Levinson (46)

## Relations With Sirta – The main basis for trade with Sirta, as with other countries, is Saguenay’s main export, a rare metal used in the outer hull of most interstellar vessels. In the last five years, trade has diminished due to Sirta’s economic decline leading to a corresponding decline in the construction of new ships.

## Brief History – Due to the aforementioned valuable metal which exists in abundance on Saguenay’s largest moon, the Solar Union fought hard to keep it. Saguenay’s independence wars took over a decade and a half, leading to eventual victory through attrition, at the cost of mentally scarring an entire generation. The wars created a sense of shared solidarity among the population, leading to the birth of a strong new national identity. Even today, Saguenay’s society is incredibly militarized, with service in the armed forces being a central part of regular life. Most public functions are organized around mandatory national service and each and every citizen is expected to do their part for their country.

* Kingdom of Hesperides

## Travel Time – 4 months

## Interstellar Affiliation – Established Nations

## Government System – AMR Based Constitutional Monarchy

## Population – 232 million

## Current Head of State – Queen Kate IV (23); Eternal Privy Council Chair Maria Fernandez (167 [52])

## Relations With Sirta – In the past, the kingdom was one of the foremost foreign investment sources for many Sirtan biotechnology companies. There was a comprehensive trade agreement between the two countries , and cordial relations on the governmental level – during Vallstein’s second term, he was even made an honorary knight in one of the kingdom's many orders. Lately, relations have soured once the depth of the corruption and incompetence in Greene's administration became obvious to foreign observers.

## Brief History – The country dates back to the initial wave of space colonization, long before the formation of the Solar Union. In its’ early decades, it was a chaotic and hyperpolarized parliamentary democracy, characterized by constant political violence and the weakness of its’ institutions. After the conclusion of a series of incredibly violent revolutions and counter-revolutions in the mid 28th century, the population, weary of constant conflict, yearned for peace and, even more so, stability.

This was the time when long-term AMRs first became viable, so the subject of AMRs was fresh in the public’s consciousness. Unexpectedly, an unassuming thought experiment by a political science professor gained near-universal popularity and led to the creation of an entirely new government system, which the country uses to this day with almost no modifications: When the throne is vacant, a lottery is held among all eligible citizens (most adults with no criminal record) to select a list of 1,000 candidates. The Eternal Privy Council, which consists of AMRs of all past successful monarchs, sifts through the list and selects the candidate it believes best suits the current situation. That candidate becomes the next King or Queen of the kingdom and reigns at the EPC’s discretion. If the monarch makes it through a decade without being removed by the EPC, their AMR is added to the EPC, the throne is vacated and the process begins anew.

Despite the somewhat unusual nature of this system, the overwhelming majority of the population consistently claims to be “very satisfied” with their government in impartial polls. Elements of this system serve as inspiration to the governments of other nations.

* Self-Reliant Enlightened Cooperative Community (SRECC)

## Travel Time – 4 months

## Interstellar Affiliation – Established Nations

## Government System – Managed Society

## Population – 70 million

## Current Head of State – Unclear

## Relations With Sirta – Sirta was, in the past, one of the SRECC’s few major trading partners, as it had a strong interest in some of the more cutting-edge products of the biotechnology industry. Of course, after the industry’s decline all of that went away.

## Brief History – Not much is known about this isolationist country, as it strictly prohibits foreigners from setting foot on its’ planet except under exceptional circumstances. However, the basic premises of their society – as the old colony was founded specifically for the purpose of bringing it into reality – are widely known.

Every member of the SRECC is sterile, having been born through in vitro fertilization and “designed” through genetic engineering. In this way, the SRECC directly controls its’ population size and composition and can change it at will. Every member’s role in society, familial partner, access to luxuries and more are determined by an “external evaluation” of the member’s preferences, capabilities, work-ethic, contributions to society and “community consciousness”.
Everyone knows their place in society and what needs to be done to change it. In this way, “all members of the community strive directly for the benefit of all other members”, an ethos which is constantly reinforced by the structure of “the community” itself. Adherence to that structure is enforced via remotely monitored chips implanted at birth in every member’s skull.

Since its’ creation hundreds of years ago, the SRECC has kept itself almost entirely isolated, conducting trade and other relations only through specific individuals negotiating short-terms agreements with specific countries and organizations.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 1, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Ministry of Finance Overview (February 3062):

These are the Ministry’s divisions:

* Taxation and Revenues – The division charged with collecting taxes as well as tax audits and enforcement measures. It is grossly underfunded and understaffed, and there is the impression that, under the Greene administration, not much work was done here.

Current Funding: 8 million NSC

* Trade Standards – The division charged with enforcing trade regulations on all levels, from stocks to real estate to consumer goods. The outside perception is that regulations are enforced selectively, both due to corruption and due to intimidation by criminal elements.

Current Funding: 6 million NSC

* Analysis and Recommendations – The division charged with analyzing economic and market activity and setting policy recommendations based on its’ observations. The record of this division is mixed, especially in light of the gravity of the Greene administrations’ failures.

* Currency Control – The division in charge of monitoring changes in the NSC’s value and directing Sirta State Bank to put more currency into circulation when necessary.

Current Funding: 5.5 million NSC

* Subsidies and Incentives – The division in charge of subsidizing certain businesses, goods or services to affect some changes in the market. Also responsible for providing economic incentives such as tax breaks to certain companies or individuals to encourage certain behaviors. During the Greene administration, it was used less as an instrument of policy than as a vehicle for corruption.

* Tariffs and Customs – The division in charge of collecting tariffs on imported goods as well as running customs. As can be expected, the lower levels of this division are overwhelmingly corrupt.

Tax Rates:

Income Tax, bottom bracket - 15%

Income Tax, lower middle bracket - 30%

Income Tax, upper middle bracket - 50%

Income Tax, top bracket - 75%

Corporate Tax - 20%

Sales Tax – 15%

Legal Addictive Substances Tax – 30%

Personal Vehicle Tax – 10% of vehicle cost monthly

Tariffs on Imported Products:

Manufactured Goods – 15%

Pharmaceuticals – 2.5%

Food and Essentials – 0%

Commercial Software – 20%

Complex Systems – 25%

Manufactured Goods and Commercial Software (Outer Alliance Countries): 10%

Other Goods – 5%

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 12, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Private Message

To: Micheal Janstine (FSP)

The Honorable Mr. Micheal Janstin, Leader of the Loyal Opposition,

Greetings, please allow me and the KNK to congratulate you on becoming the official voice of the Opposition.

While we may not agree on the exact ways and means, please be assured that both our Parties do not want to see the end of private ownership and the complete redistribution of wealth and assets on Sirta.

If there is anything that the KNK can do to support you and the FSP in your efforts, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Ever your humble servant.

-Eli Masamune
Kikuzakura no Kai (KNK)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Arthur Subtallier

"We speak of openness, of transparency. A noble concept, a noble goal, but we have a duty to the people to do more than make promises and statements about such things. So, I hereby propose the Right to Know Act."

Right to Know Act posted:

Recognising that each person is the ultimate arbiter of their own personal information,
Acknowledging the abuses of previous regimes with regard to the personal information of the citizenry,
Affirming the will of the present administration to uphold the principles of openness and transparency,
It is proposed that:

1. All citizens have the right to request of any and all government agencies all the information they have pertaining to that citizen.
2. All citizens have the right to request of any and all government agencies all the information they have pertaining to deceased or missing citizens for whom the applicant is Next of Kin, defined as the nearest relation by blood or marriage, in the order of spouse, parent or child, sibling, grandparent or grandchild, aunt/uncle or cousin, other relatives. .
3. With the exception of the Justice Department and Internal Security Department, all government agencies are obligated to fulfil such requests promptly.
4. Given that information pertaining to a given citizen under active investigation may be sensitive to that investigation, the Justice Department and Internal Security Department are not required to release that information until charges have been pressed against the citizen in question. They may inform an individual that they are not under investigation, but they are not obligated to do so to prevent confirmation by omission.
5. All citizens have the right to refer cases where information is not given to them to the Government Oversight and Transparency Committee, or to a body set up by that committee to handle said referrals.
6.If the Internal Security Department has deemed information about a citizen to be classified, then the Sensitive Information and Special Security Committee or a body set up by that committee to handle such cases should rule on the matter.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Comrade Radek
Minister of Security

Comrades, there are many pressing issues before us, but I must draw your attention to one of the most pressing: police reform.

For too long, the law enforcement of Sirta was a tool of the Dictator, serving as his tool of repression to enforce his will on an increasingly restive population. Even after our liberation, this situation has hardly improved - see the so-called "police" who now serve as little more than common thugs for organized crime!

Enough! Bold action is what is required, and bold action is what we shall take!

I accordingly am prepared to institute a top to bottom restructuring of the police forces of Sirta, restoring accountability, legitimacy, and effectiveness to a body that has become at best a laughingstock, at worst the same oppressors under new management. To the urban populations we offer a new order, to the rural population we legitimatize the existing effective forces while bringing additional accountability and fairness, and to all we bring a centralized, professionalized, and effect Federal police force.

The Police Reform Act posted:

Police Reform Act

Section I. Law Enforcement Council:

For purposes of coordination, a Law Enforcement Council shall be formed consisting of:
The Minister of Internal Security
The Commissioner of the New Sirtan Police
The Commissioner of the New Federal Police
An elected representative of the Militia Union
Two civilian ombudsmen, appointed by the MIS:
One from an urban background
One from a rural background

This body will serve as a coordination and advisory policy board, while ultimate operational decisions remain with the MIS

Section II. Municipal Policing:

The Municipal Police Forces are hereby disbanded, to be replaced by two complementary organizations: the New Sirtan Police and the Militia Union. Both organizations will be responsible for localized policing and minor crimes.

1. The New Sirtan Police will be formed as the direct successor, and assume responsibility for urban policing. Former police officers who can prove themselves free from ties to crime will be allowed to reapply, and civilians of known quality and character will be encouraged to do so as well. Interim leadership will be provided by NFP agents as well as certain verified elements of the existing command structure. SDF troops will be deputized to help enforce order during the brief period of transition.

A study shall be undertaken after two years to determine the feasibility of returning control to local governments, with every attempt made to do so if so

2. The Militia Union will take the disparate militias currently de facto policing the countryside and make them de jure. Each organization will be expected to adhere to the same universal code of laws, and will be required to accept a NFP liason officer to serve as ombudsman in case of local overreach. Otherwise, each branch will have full operational authority to enforce the law in their own territory as best as possible.

In areas where there may not be an existing militia body, the government will take the initiative to create one.

Section III. Federal Policing:

The Investigative Agency will be combined with the Government Guard to form the New Federal Police, responsible for government security and higher level crimes. The NFP will receive commensurate funding and materiel, and new recruits will screened to ensure a high standard of devotion to the ideals of the revolution and resistance to corruption. NFP will be stationed in all government buildings to provide security, and such other duties as required and directed by the MIS. Rather than the laughingstock of the Transitional Era, we shall create a modern, professional, and thoroughly effective law enforcement body.

Section IV. Other bodies
All other Law Enforcement bodies are to remain unaffected for the moment, subject to further review

My current budget should hopefully suffice, though certainly more is always helpful.

On another subject, a brief amendment to fix the oversight in SIRTAK

quote:

The SIRTAK advisory board shall consist of 5 members appointed by the Minister of Infrastructure and confirmed by the Parliament.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Dr Xavier Dubois

Considering the aching lack of medical personel, both in urban and rural areas, there is a law I would propose. It is not a nice law. Not one I'll line up on the wall and said 'I did this', but it's a law that can improve nad save a lot of Sirtan lives, and thus I must propose it. The sad fact is that there are a lot of our medical personnel who have worked for the Vallstein and the Greene administration. I worked with many of them. It's hard to work in a pigsty and not get the filth on you. And some of them, well, they got way too used to it. Some of them likely deserve to to appear in front of the TRC, and some of those likely deserve to go to jail. But every doctor that goes to jail, even if richly deserved, are many more Sirtan in need of medical help that waits longer, is many more infection that ruins a life before medical help can come. And we will not only lose those doctors who face the TRC, we might lose the doctors who fear they might be called there. Who might follow the path others have done, and leave their home, to find work elsewhere.

I believe in transparancy and honesty. We do not have the economy to tempt doctors here with great working rates. The big money grabbers? The worst of the worst? I'm sorry to say, but they've already flown the coop. They are now beyond our reach. What we have here, what I have here are people who stayed with Sirta, even when things seemed bad. Some of them assisted the rebels. Some of them kept their heads down and simply healed those in front of them. Some of them, in error, believed they best served Sirta by supporting the regime. And many of them, faced with a government that ran on corruption, simply learned to work in the environment they were raised him. Sirta cannot afford to lose them. And in fact, we should hope that some of the less flagrant sons and daughters that have gone elsewhere, might return one day, to see to their fellows in need.

And so, I propose the

quote:

Healer's Amnesty Act[/b]
That any person on Sirta or abroad licensed to work as a doctor or nurse not be given a prison sentence for financial crimes committed during the Vallstein or Green regime, including but not limited to bribery, graft and collusion
The commission may still convict defendants for this crime, and demand financial restitution. "

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Proposed Budget

Overall Income: 575.2

Expenses:

* Prime Minister’s Office – 6

* Ministry of Justice – 65 (+1)

* Ministry of Defence – 68

* Ministry of Internal Security – 68 (+1)

* Ministry of Foreign Affairs – 21

* Ministry of Interior – 33 (+3)

* Ministry of Finance – 57 (+18)

* Ministry of Education – 65 (+3)

* Ministry of Infrastructure – 81 (+10)

* Ministry of Health – 65 (+3)

* Office of the Attorney General – 4

* Sirtan Budgetary Office – 1.2

* Regular Court System – 17

*Truth and Reconciliation Comission - 3 (+3)

* Parliament – 10

* Guardian Council – 9

* Other Expenses - 2

Overall Expenses: 575.2

Remaining: 0

E: I should clarify that this is a 1 month provisional budget that we will revist in the near future as we manage to secure loans/grants, one-time upfront expenses are paid, and revenues improve. Sorry I'm not doing any IC posting, it's 1 AM and I haven't had much free time lately.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 13, 2017

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Finance Ministerial Directive I:

The following staffing and budgetary allocations of the current ministry are to be made as follows:

1. All staff are required to undergo review to as certify that their performance is in line with expected ethical and professional standards in line with the Code of Conduct and Integrity of the Ministry (to be published shortly). This review will be undertaken over 6 months in the following order: Tariff and Customs Division, Subsidies and Incentives Division, Currency Control, Analysis and Recommendations, Trade Standards and Taxation and Revenues. Staff found to have violated said standards will assessed on a case by case basis. Staff who have committed minor transgressions be given an opportunity to correct said behavior and undertake a probationary review under the watch of a sectional manager AMR selected by the Minister. Staff found to have breached the Code in an egregious manner or failure to uphold behavior during the probationary period can be dismissed by the Ministry and could even potentially barred from further employment in the Civil Service.

2. All current funding for projects in the subsidies and incentives division are to cease immediately pending further review. All current staff and funding will be reallocated to the Taxation and Revenues Division until further notice from the Minister. The Minister and senior management may on ad-hoc basis, allow for the resumption of subsidies to critical or strategic industries.

3. The Trade Standards division will enforce their mandate vigorously. Any attempts by a non-Ministry individual to subvert or hinder the activities of the division are to be referred to the Ministry of Internal Security for further investigation. Any attempts by a Finance Ministry individual to hinder or subvert the mandate of the Trade Standards Division should be referred to the Minister or upper management for corrective action.

4. The Minister authorizes the lowering of the prime rate set by the Sirtan State Bank from 3% to 1%. This rate will be reviewed and adjusted as necessary on a bi-annual basis until further notice

5. The Minister also authorizes the sale of up to 200 million in Sirtan governmental bonds in order to bolster the finances of the government to fund future projects.

6. Assuming the Budget Bill passes. Funding will go accordingly
a) 10 million to Taxation and Revenues
b) 3 million to Trade Standards
c) 1.5 million to Analysis and Recommendations
d) 1.5 million to Currency Controls
e) 1 Million each to Tariffs and Customs and Subsidies and Incentives

Signed,

ReSeAu
Minister of Finance

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 13, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The drafting phase is now over. The voting phase begins now and will last until Friday - the 15th of December - at 12:30 UTC. Ministers may still make policy changes and all other decisions regarding their Ministries, but editing the submitted bills or submitting new bills is prohibited. As always, I will decide the NPC votes at the end of the voting phase.

The proposals up for vote are:

1. The Self-Determination Act, submitted by Minister of Interior Danube.
2. The Right to Know Act, submitted by Member Arthur Subtallier.
3. The Police Reform Act, submitted by Minister of Interior Security Radek.
4. Amendment to the SIRTRAK Act, by Minister of Interior Security Radek.
5. The Healer Amnesty Act, submitted by Minister of Health Dr. Xavier Dubois.
6. The Budget Bill for March 3062, submitted by Prime Minister Luxemburg.

Note: Some of these bills include vague wording (e.g. "prove themselves", "known quality of character", etc.). That means judges in the regular court system will have to interpret the law as they want to if there are ever any cases relevant to these bills. It's probably a good idea to be more specific in the future.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 13, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

AYE.
AYE.
AYE.
AYE.
NAY. I must respectfully disagree with my colleague, Dr. Dubois. I don't think this law is necessary. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission already offers protection from prosecution under the regular court system for those who pay reparations.
AYE.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

AYE

AYE

CONDITIONAL AYE. While I agree with this bill in principle, I find the call that NFP recruits be "loyal to the ideals of the revolution" to be excessively vague. I would like Comrade Radek to describe more explicitly what he has in mind as the Revolution's ideals. I do not believe that the Revolution meant the same thing to all of Sirta.

AYE.

NAY. As has been previously stated, I'm not convinced that this law isn't just redundant legislation, although I am open to persuasion.

AYE.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The Revolution we all strove for, of course. Fealty to the people, to honest policing and the rule of law. Surely we can all agree on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

NAY

AYE

AYE

AYE.

NAY

AYE