Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

astral posted:

About as good as it gets. The standalone 1password is pretty solid too, but that costs money, isn't well-supported (though the company has good support in general), and I'm not even sure they sell it any longer with the subscription stuff they are pushing now. On the plus side, I did read something saying their next major version will go back to supporting standalone vaults if that interests you.

Ok good, because that's what I've been using and I'd rather not have to redo EVERYTHING again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

djssniper posted:

I've found logging onto some sites an issue if I have UBlocker enabled for it, no idea why, works fine in safari (I'm on a mac)

Oh that's interesting...I never even thought of disabling plugins. I'll try that later.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

slidebite posted:

Oh that's interesting...I never even thought of disabling plugins. I'll try that later.

Not all work. For example, on fido.ca I cannot login using firefox (on linux, never tried in windows). It happened to me to not be able to use some websites due to addons so I disabled my adblockers and everything. No can do sonny (basically the login dialog doesn't do anything after i press "Login". Nothing in the console either). Chrome works. Are they just lovely developers? Of course they are. They took a perfectly functional website and upgraded it to the latest and greatest technologies of 2015 and now is broken. And even poor chrome struggles with it

But, what can you do? It's not like I have many cell companies /plans to choose from so ... yeah.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

slidebite posted:

Is there a problem with Firefox and forms? For some reason, I couldn't log into my banking website today. No matter what I did, got an error. Called tech support they reset my password (they have to do it themselves, I can't do an online recovery). Manually typed in my client card and my new temp password, still wouldn't accept it. Tech guy said Firefox gives them trouble and to use IE (gently caress that). Tried it on my android tablet, worked fine. For the heck of it, quickly downloaded Chrome, got to the login screen, worked like a charm. Go back to Firefox and it STILL doesn't work. I was using 56.xx. Upgraded to 57, still no dice. Deleted all my banking cookies and made no difference.

Any idea WTF is going on?

They probably use a script to scramble your real password against a one time pad and you're blocking it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure what you mean by that. I still can't log in with FF even though my password is now set and I can log in normally on Chrome and my tablet browser. :shrug:

I guess it's not a huge deal, I'll just use chrome when I need to go to the website, just a pain in the rear end... especially since it used to work.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Have you tried in a private browsing window? It's possible you have some old cookies/cache that are breaking things.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

slidebite posted:

Is there a problem with Firefox and forms? For some reason, I couldn't log into my banking website today. No matter what I did, got an error. Called tech support they reset my password (they have to do it themselves, I can't do an online recovery). Manually typed in my client card and my new temp password, still wouldn't accept it. Tech guy said Firefox gives them trouble and to use IE (gently caress that). Tried it on my android tablet, worked fine. For the heck of it, quickly downloaded Chrome, got to the login screen, worked like a charm. Go back to Firefox and it STILL doesn't work. I was using 56.xx. Upgraded to 57, still no dice. Deleted all my banking cookies and made no difference.

Any idea WTF is going on?

Sounds to me like the bank already told you: their web developers suck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

astral posted:

Have you tried in a private browsing window? It's possible you have some old cookies/cache that are breaking things.

Yeah, I've since tried that and with ublock origin turned off too. No dice.

Powered Descent posted:

Sounds to me like the bank already told you: their web developers suck.
I think that's what it is. I must admit, after playing with chrome a little bit, I really don't mind it that much. :shobon:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

slidebite posted:

Not sure what you mean by that. I still can't log in with FF even though my password is now set and I can log in normally on Chrome and my tablet browser. :shrug:

Password is hunter2.
One time pad is skdmjfksdfnvk.
Your password gets scrambled as you enter it to something like jsrgnrx.
The form submits jsrgnrx to the server which descrambles it against the OTP, validates hunter2, and logs you in.

Your Firefox might be submitting hunter2 to the server which descrambles it against the OTP and gets rubbish which doesn't match your password.

Even if you do have the Javascript enabled, this is also what causes Firefox not to be able to save the password.

Or it is just bad web devs.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

clockworkjoe posted:

So is there a good password manager with a Firefox add on?

edit: and a good replacement for Noscript?

Respectively, no, and uBlock Origin in Advanced User mode. The Advanced User mode basically has all the important NoScript functionality.

EDIT: LastPass you can safely pass on, it's hilarious garbage. The KeepAss browser extension is hot garbage, but they do have a copy-to-clipboard function in the client that automatically clears the clipboard after 10 seconds by default.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 6, 2017

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Why not use the Firefox built-in password manager?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Storm One posted:

Why not use the Firefox built-in password manager?

AFAIK this is a decent option if you don't care about passwords outside web pages being in your vault and also set a decent password for it.

I use KeepAss + KeeFox and it seems to work well enough, but I have autofill disabled and have to choose specific user/pass combinations from a dropdown when selecting logins.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 6, 2017

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

von Braun posted:

Is it possible to zoom in/out with the trackpad on Mac? I found some addon on the page but it's not working in this version.

I just noticed this too, and honestly stuff like this is a dealbreaker for me. I pinch to zoom and two-finger-double-tap to zoom all the time in Safari and not having this feature feels like a major oversight.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 6, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
ctrl + "mousewheel" (i.e. double finger drag) works for me on lunix, that's how I zoom, not sure if it's supposed to be different on mac :shobon:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I can pinch zoom in Firefox Windows, unironically hope this helps.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Ola posted:

My password management system:

1. Persistent logins.
2. Password recovery functions.
3. A very strong password on my main email.

This is the only sane way to handle the modern web.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

tankadillo posted:

I just noticed this too, and honestly stuff like this is a dealbreaker for me. I pinch to zoom and two-finger-double-tap to zoom all the time in Safari and not having this feature feels like a major oversight.

The extension I posted gives you a very rough pinch to zoom. Safari is the only one with the super smooth pinch zoom and double tap.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Might as well throw in my method, I guess:
I use 1Password on mobile. I don't own the PC version at all because I'm cheap, I didn't buy it before the subscription bullshit and I won't buy it now. I let 1PW generate passwords: at least 12 characters, mixed case, and throw in some numbers and a symbol in there too. I throw 2FA on everything I can, I use the strongest password I can remember for my mail, and a couple other unique passwords for services that I use frequently that have 2FA.

The downside is if you see me entering a password I'm squinting at my phone and slowly pecking in a bullshit string of mixed case letters with some numbers and symbols. Fortunately, I rarely make contact with other human beings and a PC at the same time so this is never a problem. I use Firefox's password manager to save most of these, and admit I don't put a master password on that, too. That's because I'm not as scared about people using my machine as I am scared of the hosts of the various forums, fly-by-night startups, and other sites that demand I set up an account having a data breach.

My old way was to have a bunch of memorized phrases of different severity with numbers of different severity after them, but something like the Cloudflare leak this year would have destroyed that system.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 6, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I just use keepass and use the auto-type feature. Bonus is that it also works for logging into online games.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Firefox is acting weird - dropped noscript and switched just to ublock origin in medium mode. However, now at random times, tabs just blank out and I have to reload them. I was listening to streaming music via youtube and it just stopped. I guess certain tabs are crashing? I also have to quit out firefox if I want to play a video game. Otherwise the game just crashes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Does anyone have any issues where they leave a post in the preview window for a while and when you hit post it fails to post (the browser just constantly tries to submit and eventually nothing happens)?

Trying to figure out if it's a problem with the internet at my house, the forums themselves or Firefox.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

clockworkjoe posted:

Firefox is acting weird - dropped noscript and switched just to ublock origin in medium mode. However, now at random times, tabs just blank out and I have to reload them. I was listening to streaming music via youtube and it just stopped. I guess certain tabs are crashing? I also have to quit out firefox if I want to play a video game. Otherwise the game just crashes.

Is that possibly due to the fact that firefox is doing a lot of work on the GPU now? Not had this issue myself, but I'm on an Optimus setup. Disabling hardware acceleration might fix it?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

clockworkjoe posted:

Updated your graphics drivers recently?

Because that's your graphics drivers.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

endlessmonotony posted:

Updated your graphics drivers recently?

Because that's your graphics drivers.

I googled around and found a post on the FF tech support forum to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185117

It works. Video games aren't a problem now.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

The Milkman posted:

This is the WebExtension version of the one I've been using. It's very chunky but it works.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/zoom-page-we/

Thanks this works. No pinch-to-zoom though.

e: No wait it does work.

von Braun fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 9, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
How do I deal with the search box popping up every time I begin typing?

I have one web site that has keyboard shortcuts and every time I use a few, the first one registers and subsequent ones don't because the search bar has popped up and is intercepting the keys.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Turn off accessibility.typeaheadfind (and as a more-general thing, it helps to try in a new profile sometimes if you have a tendency to mess with config settings).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's actually a "search for text when you start typing" checkbox in options, but I was blind and missed it. Thanks, though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

clockworkjoe posted:

I googled around and found a post on the FF tech support forum to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185117

It works. Video games aren't a problem now.

... are you using a third party antivirus? In this day and age?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Craptacular! posted:

There's actually a "search for text when you start typing" checkbox in options, but I was blind and missed it. Thanks, though.

Yeah, I couldn't find it in about :preferences either. :shrug:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

endlessmonotony posted:

... are you using a third party antivirus? In this day and age?

I went through this the first day Quantum came out, for me I think it's the insider threat monitoring software my company uses.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So FF57 finally broke BetterPrivacy for good.
Is there any alternative for LSO management? I haven't come up with anything good. I don't want a simple "delete all" button, but something where i can pick and choose, like with BetterPrivacy (RIP).

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Should I use the built-in tracking protection vs an add-on like Privacy Badger?

On that note, is there any good literature about the differences between different tracking protection choices? It seems like there are a ton of options and they all seem to do (or claim to do) the same thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tankadillo posted:

Should I use the built-in tracking protection vs an add-on like Privacy Badger?

On that note, is there any good literature about the differences between different tracking protection choices? It seems like there are a ton of options and they all seem to do (or claim to do) the same thing.

You should just use uBlock Origin.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

tankadillo posted:

It seems like there are a ton of options and they all seem to do (or claim to do) the same thing.

Yep! That's why

fishmech posted:

You should just use uBlock Origin.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Am I imagining things or did uBlock Origin uninstall itself from my Firefox today? Maybe I only installed it at home and not work but I could have sworn it was on my work PC as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Also to expand on why you should just install uBlock Origin in general: a lot of the various "privacy" based extensions tended to be based around blocking out one little aspect of tracking or whatever, and many of the developers didn't want to really interfere with ads directly for a number of reasons. Over time most of those extensions expanded to cover nearly every thing each other one did, and uBlock Origin also covers that territory while blocking ads (if you want of course) so it obsoletes them.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

fishmech posted:

Over time most of those extensions expanded to cover nearly every thing each other one did, and uBlock Origin also covers that territory while blocking ads (if you want of course) so it obsoletes them.
Exactly, plus the less extensions you have the easier it is to troubleshoot when something breaks. If you only use uBO, you know you can fix it within uBO. Don't be that person who uses ABP + Ghostery + Disconnect + an extension just to block Google analytics + another just for social buttons + ...

Tracking protection is an about :config setting and pretty much all it does is use Disconnect's block list that you can also use in adblockers, and if months from now it breaks something you won't even remember to turn it off, while uBO's icon is always right there on your toolbar.

As for why uBO and not ABP or whatever:
- no acceptable ads bollocks
- compatible with ABP filter syntax, what ABP can do uBO also can and more
- much lower on resources
- easy to use advanced mode that gives access to uMatrix-like functionality and targeted fixing of broken sites using the logger witout having to turn off blocking entirely for the site

Privacy Badger is the odd one out because it doesn't use pre-compiled filter lists, it monitors browsing history and automatically creates a profile of tracking sites based on it. In practice I found it meant that images would regularly break because image hosts were seen across many sites and started being blocked.
If you want that kind of proactive defense, I find default-deny mode in uBO/uMatrix to be more predictable.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

"Yesterday, some people noticed that The Mozilla Foundation hijacked their own in-browser "Shield Studies" program to distribute "Looking Glass", an Alternate Reality Game based on the TV Show Mr. Robot for Firefox 57 users. This was discovered as a fresh add-on with the entire description being "MY REALITY IS JUST DIFFERENT FROM YOURS.", leading some to suspect their browser had been hacked. Surprisingly, privacy-conscious users were not amused."

https://www.metafilter.com/171227/Your-Reality-Is-Driven-By-Marketing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Mozilla keeps doing poo poo like this, and I really wonder what in the hell they are thinking.