Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There are no write-in candidates in Finland. You don't actually write his name on the ballot.

"Independent" or "unaffiliated" is probably closest. It's like if someone in the US collected enough names in every state to appear on the ballot without running as a D or an R, except it's a lot easier logistically when you only have to collect 20 000 names in one country of 3-4 million voters instead of worrying about 50 different arcane processes.

It's like one of those numerous nonsensical "Both sides are bad" projects that pop up every single electoral cycle, except this one was concocted by a major party candidate to bolster his non-partisan credentials. He's endorsed by his actual party anyway and he was going to win in a landslide anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

RichardA posted:

Sharks and rays are quite different from "normal" fishes. For example they don't have bones.

Late to the party, but there is no such thing as a fish

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
That's right. It's really a ghoti.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Calling bullshit. I've been fishing. By definition anything caught while fishing is a fish. A fish is a fish. A jellyfish is a fish. Rocks are fish. Seaweed is a fish. At least one of my fingers is a fish.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've been bit by fish so I believe they exist.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Bill Dance's hat is a fish :aaa:

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Bill Dance's hat is a fish :aaa:

And by the principles of Synedoche, so is the entire University of Tennessee.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
Apologies in advance for the request-- I was just thinking about that horrifying 21st Century Skills education visual metaphor that uses the over-labeled bicycle, and I remembered that somebody posted an *expanded* version of it, where the new author had added even more components. Does anyone have that handy? Please and thank you :)

yessss thank you!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Sound Mr. Brown has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Dec 6, 2017

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

These?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745614&pagenumber=117&perpage=40#post474967120
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745614&pagenumber=117&perpage=40#post474956499

Also, just remembered, that weird business chart posted a while back:
Reminds me of Kaplan's "cultural thought patterns":

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

English: Yew fukkin wot mate? A straightforward language.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
This was posted in yospos to make the argument that gas prices are much less volatile than crude oil prices:

...yeaaaaaaah.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

your normal 26 to 146.6 axis

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Maybe I’ve crazy but I think for the purpose of comparing volitility the axis make sense? Both are on the same scale of 100% to 600% of the lowest value so you can compare the relative sizes accurately.

That’s not to say that it wouldn’t be better to just graph the volitity directly though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/938588134408904704

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I just like how in the new system patreon generates its share of the pie out of thin air.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There wasn't a flat fee before now was there? poo poo this is bad unless enough people cough up a stink metaphorically.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am glad webcomic artists will now get less money.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I am glad webcomic artists will now get less money.

This, also leftist podcasts.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

You have no idea how accurate the Swedish model is. Goddammit :negative:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If your business can be upended by a flat fee of 35c per monthly subscription, you shouldn't expect your business to survive for very long.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

steinrokkan posted:

If your business can be upended by a flat fee of 35c per monthly subscription, you shouldn't expect your business to survive for very long.

most patrons donate a buck or two a month (since if you donate more than a buck or two a month to a podcast or webcomic then imo you belong in jail for being a weirdo or sex pervert) and so the people who use patreon rely on volume of low donation subscribers. Doubling the amount of fees on these (in the case for $1/mo) hurts.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Foxhound posted:

You have no idea how accurate the Swedish model is. Goddammit :negative:

Should we have a meeting about your concerns regarding this post? I think we should have a meeting.

I'll also consult our crisis management team just in case we decide to start team counseling to get over your post-traumatic feelings over the Swedish negotiation processes.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Should we have a meeting about your concerns regarding this post? I think we should have a meeting.

I'll also consult our crisis management team just in case we decide to start team counseling to get over your post-traumatic feelings over the Swedish negotiation processes.

Let's think on it over the weekend and sit down on Monday to discuss if we should call for a meeting with the crisis management team after we run the idea by some other people. Anyway, time for fika.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For those curious about the corporate spin: (bolding mine)

Dear creator, 

In order to continue our mission of funding the creative class, we’re always looking for ways to do what’s best for you - creators. 

With that, we’re writing to tell you of a change we’re making so that all Patreon creators take home exactly 95% of every pledge, with no additional fees. 

Aside from Patreon’s existing 5% fee, you may notice that your income on Patreon varies because of processing fees every month. Your patrons may not even be aware that you actually take home a lower percentage of their intended pledges because of it. Our goal is to make your paycheck as predictable as possible, so we’re restructuring how these fees are paid. 

A new service fee of 2.9% + $0.35 will be paid by patrons for each individual pledge starting on December 18th. This streamlines fees for both creators and patrons to ensure that you pay no more than 5%.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Israeli isn't on here, but if it was, it would start out in normal text and get bigger and bigger until it was screaming at you in all caps.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/wombatoverlord/status/938849760198447104

https://twitter.com/Burrito_Tim/status/938847309223383045

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is the least surprising thing ever. They’re bleeding cash, and need revenue faster than they can grow their base. They should have done what charities often do: give a checkbox to cover the processing fees if the donor wants to.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species
Not sure if this one's been posted before but its a recent favorite of mine (found on amazon site)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vektuz posted:

Not sure if this one's been posted before but its a recent favorite of mine (found on amazon site)

Huge if true.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Sentient Data posted:

For those curious about the corporate spin: (bolding mine)

Dear creator, 

In order to continue our mission of funding the creative class, we’re always looking for ways to do what’s best for you - creators. 

With that, we’re writing to tell you of a change we’re making so that all Patreon creators take home exactly 95% of every pledge, with no additional fees. 

Aside from Patreon’s existing 5% fee, you may notice that your income on Patreon varies because of processing fees every month. Your patrons may not even be aware that you actually take home a lower percentage of their intended pledges because of it. Our goal is to make your paycheck as predictable as possible, so we’re restructuring how these fees are paid. 

A new service fee of 2.9% + $0.35 will be paid by patrons for each individual pledge starting on December 18th. This streamlines fees for both creators and patrons to ensure that you pay no more than 5%.

This is hilarious because by my math one would need to donate $16.67 for it to be true that they keep 95%.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
With the Patreon fee charge, notice also that it says service fee per pledge. This isn't like Paypal or cards where every pledge is a new transaction with its own fee, Patreon batches all of your pledges on each payment method (so if you have 10 pledges for $1, you'd see one $10 charge, not 10 $1 charges), but is still charging you fees as if they were all separate transactions.

It's absolutely misleading.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

KillHour posted:

Israeli isn't on here, but if it was, it would start out in normal text and get bigger and bigger until it was screaming at you in all caps.

do you not know what semitic means

i mean, even the graph they use to demonstrate it is pretty much literally what you're describing

also, israeli isn't a language

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Funny rather than awful, from a cognitive science paper I'm reading:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Who the gently caress keeps the bathroom door closed when there's no one in it

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Kim et al.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Subjunctive posted:

This is the least surprising thing ever. They’re bleeding cash, and need revenue faster than they can grow their base. They should have done what charities often do: give a checkbox to cover the processing fees if the donor wants to.

Well they’re really going to be in trouble when everyone migrates to d.rip

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I do to keep my cat out of it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Anyone who wants it to dry out after a shower?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anyone who wants it to dry out after a shower?

Maybe if you have an exceedingly effective exhaust fan.

Otherwise the opposite is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Maybe if you have an exceedingly effective exhaust fan.

Otherwise the opposite is true.

Nah, that's just a popular misconception. Research shows that keeping the bathroom closed is the quickest way to dry it out assuming you have a) proper venting and b) proper heating.

So it won't work in the UK, for instance. Probably not in Gun Crime UK either because their houses are also poo poo.