Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why not just add your mom to your account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Already on my account, but I want to shrink my bill by going with the senior plan and then my third line will probably go to mintsim.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

If by senior plan you mean the 55+ one, that's limited to 2 lines and account owner must be 55.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can sign her up then transfer your line to her account.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Is the $30 nerd plan still available through Walmart? I've got that plan now, and my wife wants to switch over to it too.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Toebone posted:

Is the $30 nerd plan still available through Walmart? I've got that plan now, and my wife wants to switch over to it too.

Nope. They closed it to new subscribers early this year. For alternatives, consider MintSIM (5 GB with unlimited talk+text on the T-Mobile network for $20/month right now, though you need to prepay for 3 or more months of service) or Cricket (5 GB (limited to 8Mbps) with unlimited talk+text on the AT&T network for $35/month with auto-pay discount).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 9, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Wow, MintSIM is pretty nice. I think the only drawback is no free international roaming/texting, but if you don't cross borders or have friends in other countries that you need to keep in sms/mms contact with, that seems like a smoking deal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Family member of mine is looking to switch two lines to T-Mobile, are they running any promos right now?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
BOGO via prepaid card looks like.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
T-Mobile just bought Layer3, who are a IPTV cable company in the Midwest. Their service apparently requires a dedicated set-top box, but that could (and probably will) change.

That, plus the 5G network that they're rolling out, suggests that they're planning to become an ISP/Cable/Wireless triple threat, like AT&T and Verizon. If their services are good and cheap (which it probably will be), it could be a huge deal. I currently pay ~$280/month total for internet, Playstation Vue, HBO, and two T-Mo lines. I bet T-Mo could get me all that for under $200.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Here's some ways to lock down your account more.

https://www.t-mobile.com/company/privacy-resources/account-security/account-verification.html

Be warned that a lot or CSRs are not well versed in this yet.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lelandjs posted:

T-Mobile just bought Layer3, who are a IPTV cable company in the Midwest. Their service apparently requires a dedicated set-top box, but that could (and probably will) change.

That, plus the 5G network that they're rolling out, suggests that they're planning to become an ISP/Cable/Wireless triple threat, like AT&T and Verizon. If their services are good and cheap (which it probably will be), it could be a huge deal. I currently pay ~$280/month total for internet, Playstation Vue, HBO, and two T-Mo lines. I bet T-Mo could get me all that for under $200.

I generally try to avoid brand loyalty, especially in this particular field, but I like T-Mobile a lot outside of their awful retail stores. This is good news to me. At worst it’s competition that could force other companies to improve their services and pricing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is 5g a real technological thing or a branding thing

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

glassyalabolas posted:

Here's some ways to lock down your account more.

https://www.t-mobile.com/company/privacy-resources/account-security/account-verification.html

Be warned that a lot or CSRs are not well versed in this yet.

Asking for drivers license in store is a really good thing, and most carriers have been doing it for a few years , yet there are still people every day who are like “why do you need my drivers license?” I’m just like “would you rather I let people potentially steal your info?”

hiddenriverninja posted:

Both.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

hiddenriverninja posted:

It will be a real technological thing, but all of the technologies that comprise it are still being worked on, so no one knows exactly what it will be.

grumple wumpkins
Jan 9, 2009

what’s the number or dept I contact for actual bill/bank account help? tired of the runaround

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
My sister is going to study abroad in Spain and we wanted to know what we needed to do with her phone situation. We're currently on the simple choice plan and she has an iPhone 8. Do we need to switch to the One plan? I really don't want to since I have the 20 dollar unlimited plan.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there a simple plan that would be good for an older person? My grandma needs a new phone since she's still on an old keyboard dumb phone that's dying but I don't want her bill to jump drastically by adding data. Right now she pays about $35 for unlimited Talk & Text.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there a simple plan that would be good for an older person? My grandma needs a new phone since she's still on an old keyboard dumb phone that's dying but I don't want her bill to jump drastically by adding data. Right now she pays about $35 for unlimited Talk & Text.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55

Two unlimited lines for $30/line (tax included) if there's someone who wants to go in on a plan with her. Otherwise check out the $30 MetroPCS plan (tax included) with unlimited talk/text and 2GB high speed data.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chaotic Flame posted:

Add her to your account you ungrateful brat.

Or get her like project fi or a prepaid provider.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

prepaid provider.

Do this, get simple mobile with 1gb of data and unlimited talk/text for 25/mo. Uses tmo as backbone

You can get an iPhone se for like 160

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 25, 2017

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

SamDabbers posted:

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55

Two unlimited lines for $30/line (tax included) if there's someone who wants to go in on a plan with her. Otherwise check out the $30 MetroPCS plan (tax included) with unlimited talk/text and 2GB high speed data.

Don Lapre posted:

Add her to your account you ungrateful brat.

Or get her like project fi or a prepaid provider.

Blue Train posted:

Do this, get simple mobile with 1gb of data and unlimited talk/text for 25/mo. Uses tmo as backbone

You can get an iPhone se for like 160

Thanks! I don't have T-Mobile (I'm Project Fi) but while she was here I just happened to see she was having issues getting group texts and pictures from other family members since she doesn't have data on her plan (according to her) and she told me she was paying ~$35 for this non-data plan with a non-smartphone through T-Mobile. I'm thinking I'll get her an updated phone when I visit her in February but wanted to know if there were comparably priced plans with data so her bill wouldn't change because she likes the price point. She won't be using data that much but just being able to get all the family group texts, pictures, etc. would be appreciated.

Prepaid may be the way to go it seems.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Chaotic Flame posted:

Thanks! I don't have T-Mobile (I'm Project Fi) but while she was here I just happened to see she was having issues getting group texts and pictures from other family members since she doesn't have data on her plan (according to her) and she told me she was paying ~$35 for this non-data plan with a non-smartphone through T-Mobile. I'm thinking I'll get her an updated phone when I visit her in February but wanted to know if there were comparably priced plans with data so her bill wouldn't change because she likes the price point. She won't be using data that much but just being able to get all the family group texts, pictures, etc. would be appreciated.

Prepaid may be the way to go it seems.

If she is like a super super low user look at ting

https://ting.com/rates

100 minutes/100 texts/100mb a month would be $15/m

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Man I’m paying $177 a month for me and my mom’s phone. What are all these $15/mo plans and why is TMobile always ripping me off :/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Quidthulhu posted:

Man I’m paying $177 a month for me and my mom’s phone. What are all these $15/mo plans and why is TMobile always ripping me off :/

$177/m with who?

You guys financing a bunch of phones?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Quidthulhu posted:

Yeah you are getting ripped off unless you have a bunch of device payments on it as mentioned above. I have 3 lines with unlimited + tmobile one plus for $80/month (usually less with kickback)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah you are getting ripped off unless you have a bunch of device payments on it as mentioned above. I have 3 lines with unlimited + tmobile one plus for $80/month (usually less with kickback)

Are you an employee? 80/month for 3 lines unlimited is definitely an outlier.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Maneki Neko posted:

Two lines on T-Mobile one is $120 w/ taxes fees, two lines of full device payments is $60, that's $180.... but still, that's high considering all the promotional plans they offer.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My wife and I are at $140/mo, two lines, two device payments. It would be less but I haven't gotten off my rear end and sold my old V20 yet. I'm probably gonna keep it so that the next time I get the urge to switch back to Android I'll use it for a bit and remember why I switched back to iOS.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
FWIW, ~$85 after taxes for two phones and two tablets. 6gb each with binge on and unlimited rest. Don't think I can ever leave. Too good of a deal.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nimper posted:

Are you an employee? 80/month for 3 lines unlimited is definitely an outlier.

Nope just a good combo of promos: 2 for $100 + 20% off for life + one of the random "free 3rd line" promos, those were all from earlier in 2017.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
$160/mo for 4 lines all unlimited is what I got my family on right now

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I posted in here cause I have T-mobile, lol. Financing one phone. Guess I need to check my bill and yell at someone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Nope just a good combo of promos: 2 for $100 + 20% off for life + one of the random "free 3rd line" promos, those were all from earlier in 2017.

Same here. Best deal around IMHO.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Are all these promos for new accounts when they come up or can you figure out a way to swap a current account to them?

My 177 is 100 for two lines + 10+15 per line for...existing or something, then my phone financing, then fees. I guess it’s actually a pretty accurate deal but “100 for two lines!” when you’re really paying 125 after everything is poop :/

Unrelated - has anyone been having iPhone issues since the carrier update pushed yesterday? Apps on my 7 are straight locking for 30 seconds (can still close them but rebooting them returns them in a locked state) and my home screen movement is lagging sometimes. Might be unrelated but that’s the only thing that changed yesterday

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
If I'm planning on switching to Tmobile from AT&T with 5 lines, is there any likely benefit to waiting or is the current price likely to be approximately the best we're likely to see? I saw there was a Hookup promotion earlier in the year, is that something that TMobile regularly does or was it a rare one off?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Steampunk Hitler posted:

If I'm planning on switching to Tmobile from AT&T with 5 lines, is there any likely benefit to waiting or is the current price likely to be approximately the best we're likely to see? I saw there was a Hookup promotion earlier in the year, is that something that TMobile regularly does or was it a rare one off?

From my experience, T-Mobile has been slowly increasing their pricing (or more accurately, removing promotions) for new accounts over the past couple years.

Can't guarantee anything, but now is most likely better than later.

Someone else, feel free to give a better analysis.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
FolioFirst wants me to either unlock brokerage features for $5/mo or pay $15/yr annual maintenance for my one share of T-Mobile stock? This is some bullshit, I don't even know why they transferred my share over there in the first place.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

isndl posted:

FolioFirst wants me to either unlock brokerage features for $5/mo or pay $15/yr annual maintenance for my one share of T-Mobile stock? This is some bullshit, I don't even know why they transferred my share over there in the first place.

The original holder, Loyal3, went belly up or something and FolioFirst was the default place the shares were sent. Back when it happened, you also had the option to have the share transferred to a brokerage account of your choice fee-free, but I guess you missed that window. You should still be able to transfer that share to a brokerage account you have somewhere else, but I don't know if they charge any fees. Or you can just cash out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Transferring to another brokerage would make sense if I actually had a brokerage account somewhere, this is pretty much the only stock I have. Guess I'm cashing out.