Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I mean we do have to be honest that BOTW being a Zelda title greatly affected perception of the game and critical acclaim. Try to imagine if another company took the core elements of the game, stripped away the very Zelda elements and released it as a new title. What would the view of the game have been?

Surely every critic was blinded by the Zelda name and Nintendo nostalgia and not a single one was able to judge the game on its own merits. Thankfully, forums poster Xyrloc is here to wake us all from our brainwashed Nintendo nightmare world.

I’m only kidding I know you weren’t really bashing the game that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Infinitum posted:

Mario is in a zone and you have to collect a bunch of items, and do a bunch of minigame

Did I just describe 64, Sunshine, Galaxy or Odyssey?

Nice cherry-picked reductive argument.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't get me wrong, Odyssey could have easily won GOTY

Zelda was more deserving of it

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I mean we do have to be honest that BOTW being a Zelda title greatly affected perception of the game and critical acclaim. Try to imagine if another company took the core elements of the game, stripped away the very Zelda elements and released it as a new title. What would the view of the game have been?

Would Metroid Other M be a bad game if it wasn't a Metroid game?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Infinitum posted:

Mario is in a zone and you have to collect a bunch of items, and do a bunch of minigame

Let's just go full reductionist: aren't all games just game? You play game with controller, am I describing game or game?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the issue of who should have won the goty 2017 award, mario or zelda, is going to be an epic gamer debate for years to come

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mabels big day posted:

the issue of who should have won the goty 2017 award, mario or zelda, is going to be an epic gamer debate for years to come

Its mario tho

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I agree

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
mario vs. sonic... who could've predicted mario vs. link

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Hey friends, I just saw the thing about Bayonetta and I am very excited to buy Bayonetta again and also get a new one.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Bayonetta is one of those rare games where I will buy it as many times as you dangle it in front of me because it's the only way to communicate my ravenous hunger for more

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I was a hater at first but grabbed a copy of 1+2 from a friendly goon and it loving owns. I even love the aesthetic, which was initially that making me want to stay away.

Get Bayonetta.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bleck posted:

Bayonetta is one of those rare games where I will buy it as many times as you dangle it in front of me because it's the only way to communicate my ravenous hunger for more

Not emptyquoting

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lmao this gimmick for the Zelda DLC rules so hard

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Mad that I read this, doubly mad that it doesn't even apply to galaxy

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I was a hater at first but grabbed a copy of 1+2 from a friendly goon and it loving owns. I even love the aesthetic, which was initially that making me want to stay away.

Get Bayonetta.

same, I avoided it for years because I figured it was just embarrassing anime game but then I bought it on a whim for $8 and it turns out it's awesome anime game

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Possible Titan Quest release for Switch. For those that don't know, Titan Quest has received improved graphics and a recent expansion. I need this rumor to be true. Then Diablo 3 please.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/gamefly_lists_titan_quest_for_nintendo_switch_release

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Astro7x posted:

It’s not so much about bad or good [I happen to think it’s good obviously] but that being a Zelda title allowed it to escape the same review that other games are subject to. Most other games get evaluated on their major strengths balanced against their major weaknesses and then compared to other titles broadly. BOTW being a Zelda title almost forced reviewers or at least guided them toward viewing the game “for what it is,” which only certain games are afforded the luxury of. Had this been a non-Zelda IP with the game core content and mechanisms I think it would have been reviewed very differently.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

well yeah. so i guess it was smart to make a zelda game, that will receive scrutiny because its a zelda game, a good one?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

alf_pogs posted:

well yeah. so i guess it was smart to make a zelda game, that will receive scrutiny because its a zelda game, a good one?

It’s smart to make Zelda games and never stop making them

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Bayonetta owns. BotW owns. Switch owns.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Astro7x posted:

I'm genuinely wondering what the reaction would have been if Other M was a completely new IP with a female protagonist that got treated that way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ATTENTION SOMETHING AWFUL!

Switch is good.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I would love to peek into the Alternate Universe where Other M was it's own thing.

It’s not so much about bad or good [I happen to think it’s good obviously] but that being a Zelda title allowed it to escape the same review that other games are subject to. Most other games get evaluated on their major strengths balanced against their major weaknesses and then compared to other titles broadly. BOTW being a Zelda title almost forced reviewers or at least guided them toward viewing the game “for what it is,” which only certain games are afforded the luxury of. Had this been a non-Zelda IP with the game core content and mechanisms I think it would have been reviewed very differently.
If it stayed as WiiU only and didn't get a Switch release (Cause BoTW was so designed for it, come on the tablet is the WiiU controller screen) it would of reviewed good for the sheer freedom, burnt on how light the playable story was. A good heap of the side-quests are more fleshed out than the Rito line, a third of the Zora one was just following the path to the domain which you could skip if you went over the canyon.
But it would of became one of those Niche Darlings (like Alpha Protocol and such), mostly forgotten after a few months by most people apart from the fans.

BotW oozes nostalgia from nearly every pixel. I haven't played the N64/GC/Wii Zeldas and skipped out on most of the DS ones and there was still bucket loads of it for me recognise.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BOTW is the GOAT open world game. A huge reason why the game is great is how you just wander around. Pick a spot on the map that looks cool and you will find something. No other open world game has felt the same.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hm. I dunno. Don't get me wrong it's a really really good game but I think the way it handles open world exploration is cooler than the world itself. Which is really great, but on it's own I don't really know if beats a good handful of other open worlds out there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spacebump posted:

BOTW is the GOAT open world game. A huge reason why the game is great is how you just wander around. Pick a spot on the map that looks cool and you will find something. No other open world game has felt the same.

Will you find something.

My biggest issue with BOTW is exploring felt great but you never found anything worth looking for

Which is why I got bored and quit playing.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I'm glad Zelda won GOTY, I think it definitely deserved it.

I guess I will be adding to my 170 hours with the DLC finally (didn't get around to playing the DLC1). Maybe I will even get all 900 seeds.

Odyssey was a great game too, and I can see why people would prefer it. If it wasn't for Zelda, I would have put it at the top too. However, I 100%'d it and probably will never play it again unless they release some DLC with new levels (especially if you can control other characters like Peach and her cappy... or capette, whatever). The fact that I will go back to Zelda for more, and will restart it at some point in the future, is more telling in why I personally put Zelda as GOTY.

HZD is great as well, but it just felt more confined and typical mission style compared to other open world action/adventure games. If I played it before Zelda, I would have appreciated it more, however, I still would have put Zelda over it.

Well, may as well offload my WiiU copy of Bayo 2 + 1. I barely played 1 and if I ever do get around to playing it in the future, it'll be on the Switch.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 8, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

Yes. The basic underlying character-writing and themes are pretty unsalvageable, Samus or no.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes. The basic underlying character-writing and themes are pretty unsalvageable, Samus or no.

It's also really clunky.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You face roll to dodge and actually aim the Wiimote to shoot missiles my God no game would survive that nonsense.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Platinum released some official details about the Bayo 1+2 port.

Here's the long and short of it if you're too lazy to click: Bayo 2 will be updated with a local wi-fi version of Tag Climax mode (alongside the original online version), Amiibo support (including the Smash Bayo amiibo) and the video capture functionality.

Bayo 1 and 2 will be released on the eShop in NA/EU/AU as separate games on Feb 16. How much they cost depends on what order in which you buy them, oddly - It's either $49.99 for Bayo 2 and $9.99 for Bayo 1, or $29.99 for Bayo 1 and $29.99 for Bayo 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mycot posted:

I'm genuinely wondering what the reaction would have been if Other M was a completely new IP with a female protagonist that got treated that way.

It would still have sucked because the gameplay is also poo poo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

acksplode posted:

BotW deserved it, feels like it was designed five years into the future

It's just Far Cry 2 without guns and malaria.

See above

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 8, 2017

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Horizon: Zero Dawn is "only" a solid 30-ish-hour job. Tack on another ten for The Frozen Wilds DLC expansion.

Mega Man Legends 1&2 were both well-loved games and very unsubtly drawing from Ocarina of Time.

Legends 1 predates OoT :ssh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Kins posted:

Platinum released some official details about the Bayo 1+2 port.

Here's the long and short of it if you're too lazy to click: Bayo 2 will be updated with a local wi-fi version of Tag Climax mode (alongside the original online version), Amiibo support (including the Smash Bayo amiibo) and the video capture functionality.

Bayo 1 and 2 will be released on the eShop in NA/EU/AU as separate games on Feb 16. How much they cost depends on what order in which you buy them, oddly - It's either $49.99 for Bayo 2 and $9.99 for Bayo 1, or $29.99 for Bayo 1 and $29.99 for Bayo 2.

I wonder if it's still gonna be 720p though. Gorgeous as the game was, and it ran at 60 FPS which was dope, it would be nice if it wasn't still 720p in full screen. That was my only real complaint I had about Bayo 2 at least

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhhhh Bayonetta 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti-i40Ez6KY

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xenoblade 2 will crash if you dont close the app for a few days. No autosave :negative:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Switch is gonna have a loving ridiculous library of games by the end of 2018, even more so than it does now, what the hell

edit: Even if Bayo 3 doesn't come out in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even though I haven't played #2, I CANNOT WAIT!

• Locked thread