Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Since one maximum difficulty let's play at a time is evidently not enough to send me to videogame Valhalla, I'm going to aggro a second!

Episodes:

Days 1-2: Unbound
Days 2-3: Bleak Falls Barrow
Days 3-4: Like Old Tiber Septim
Days 4-5: Dragon the Legion Into This
Days 5-6: A Word to the Wise
Days 6-7: Two Words from the 'Wise'
Day 7: Tome Raider
Days 8-9: Driften Through Riften
Days 9-10: Horrible Creatures
Days 10-12: (pl)Under Saarthal
Days 12-13: Another Apprentice Incinerated (part 1)
Days 12-13: Another Apprentice Incinerated (part 2)
Day 14: Hjalted Streams Camp
Days 14-15: Feim and Fortune
Day 15: Low Elf-Esteem (part 1)
Day 15: Low Elf-Esteem (part 2)
Days 16-17: Hike Hrothgar
Days 17-18: Meddling Kids
Days 18-19: Drag(on) Racing
Day 19: Psijic Disorder
Day 20: The Wages of Synod (part 1)
Day 20: The Wages of Synod (part 2)
Days 20-21: Claws and Effect
Day 21: A Minor Maze
Day 22: A Major Maze (part 1)
Day 22: A Major Maze (part 2)
Days 23-25: Sphere Today, Gone Tomorrow
Days 25-26: Cantripped Shenanigans
Days 27-28: The Music of Life
Days 28-29: Murder is Novice
Days 29-31: Lore is a Battlefield
Days 31-32: Undeath of the Party
Days 32-33: A Mark(arth)ed Man
Days 33-34: Redwater Done
Day 34: Actually Crazy
Days 35-36: Such a Drag(on)
Days 36-37: A Blunder of the World
Days 37-38: The Eponymous Scroll
Days 38: Castlevania: Elegy of Boredom
Days 38-40: Soul Survivor (part 1)
Days 38-40: Soul Survivor (part 2)
Days 41-42: Best Item in Skyrim
Days 43-44: (f)Lame Atronachs
Days 44-46: Orcish Manners
Day 46: Bookwyrm
Day 47: Expedition Exposition
Day 48-49: Humongous Fungus (part 1)
Day 48-49: Humongous Fungus (part 2)
Days 50-51: Alduinterrupted
Days 51-53: Arngeiring Up
Days 53-54: Convection Detection
Days 54-55: Fungeon Crawl
Days 55-57: Serana, Begana!
Day 57: Like Moths to Flame
Days 57-58: Cold Cache
Days 58-59: Frenzy Road
Day 59: Truce or Dare
Days 60-61: Brodahviing
Days 61-62: Skuldafn fen koz Krongrah
Day 62: Victory and Sovngarde!
Day 63-64: Cultes des Fooles
Day 64: Doomsday Plot IV
Day 64-65: Lurkers & Horkers
Day 66: The Spider Provider
Day 66: He Stole the Soul!
Days 66-68: The Destruction Expert
Day 69: (pr)Icy Spear
Day 69: Neloth 2?
Day 70: The Companion's Cubes (part 1)
Day 70: The Companion's Cubes (part 2)
Day 70: The Realm of Badness
Day 71: Need for Mead
Day 71: Benkongerieklings
Day 71: Glitch Trials
Day 72: Uneventful so Far
Day 73: Miner Setbacks
Day 73: Sunfire or Stunfire (part 1)
Day 73: Sunfire or Stunfire (part 2)
Day 74: A Tour of Solstheim
Day 75: Mushroom Stew(ard)
Day 76: Re-un-re-unearthed
Day 76-77: The Manmer in the Iron Mask
Day 77-79: A Thrilling Page-Turner
Day 79: Caution: Glitched Floor
Day 79-80: Fire with Fire
Day 80: Dark Roast
Day 80: 'Dov' means Dragon

About Me:

Some of you may know me from my ongoing or finished LPs of Age of Mythology, Civilization 2, Fire Emblem, or Fire Emblem: Binding Blade- but since Skyrim is a very different kind of game, many of you probably don’t.

What I do is make challenge runs of my favorite strategy (or strategy/skill) games, piling up obstacles on top of max difficulty and then finding the most elegant way to win. My style is to go in-depth about the best possible tactics, hidden mechanics, and what I think of the narrative and game-design choices.

Although you can see I’ve done quite a few screenshot LPs, I’m still fairly new to video editing and always looking for feedback on how to improve.

About Skyrim:
Skyrim is the fifth main series game in Bethesda’s Elder Scrolls franchise, and the first to become widely popular- with good reason. While the other entries in the series were often groundbreaking and unique, they were also usually rather bad as games.

Skyrim changed that, so I loved it from the first time I turned it on. The mechanics were simple, yet deep. There was finally enough everyday detail included that you could play a character rather than just a game. The world was wide and open, with innumerable interesting things to find and places to explore both on and off the path. The aesthetic was a dream come true for me personally, the kind of setting and style I’ve often written and always longed for in a videogame. Most importantly, it never stopped being fun.

Combat was fast-paced and easy to pick up yet complex to master; winning even small fights was more about player skill than stats and numbers.

Even leveling up wasn’t a pointless treadmill because you got to choose new and interesting capabilities rather than merely gaining higher numbers, but leveling didn’t trivialize the game either because the enemy powered up too.

Replay value was nearly infinite with so many places to go and different approaches to take. Plus there was room for the player to replay and grow because the difficulty modes were admirably balanced, offering everything from a borderline god mode on Novice to a massive challenge for even expert players on Legendary. Which brings me to the subject at hand…

About this LP
There are thousands of LPs of Skyrim of all styles, many even on legendary difficulty. So why make my own? Two reasons.

First, I think I have unusually deep knowledge of both the game mechanics and the game lore, so I can talk about some little-trod ground.

Second, none of those guys actually played on legendary as far as I’m concerned. Nearly all of them relied upon one of a handful of simple, cheap tactics that trivialized the game and let them completely avoid the challenge of legendary: that enemy damage is tripled and player damage is quartered.

Most of them just used followers. That alone makes difficulty irrelevant. Enemies will mindlessly attack your followers, so you will never face any danger at all.

Many of them broke the game in half with silly crafting grinding. By abusing the crafting system a knowledgeable player can become a literally invincible killing machine without ever facing a single fight along the way. For that matter, even a little bit of smart crafting grants vast amounts of money and matchlessly strong equipment with no real effort and no impact from the difficulty.

Others simply used stealth. Now I readily concede that stealth should be a legitimate tactic, but the fact of the matter is that the enemy AI can’t deal with it. That’s one of Skyrim’s biggest flaws. Even a player with no knowledge and no investment in the stealth skill is borderline undetectable unless they try to be found, and you can shoot arrow after arrow into most enemies without them even being certain you exist, let alone finding and fighting you.

My problem with these tactics is not that they’re effective but that they’re equally effective on all difficulties, so LPs using them don’t actually show anything about legendary difficulty. My LP will be nearly unique in that I will face the challenge head-on, relying on tactics and skill and limited resources to not merely survive but roleplay through the world.

So here are the rules (feel free to suggest others as I get ready to get this started):

1) I do my own stunts: No followers. If a quest makes me take a follower I have to get that part over with as fast as possible. No silly little things like recruiting a follower, stripping them of all their gear, and then immediately telling them to go home either. Also, no summon staves. Regular summons that I have to spend mana on are alright though.

2) I see what you did there: No defeating (or avoiding) enemies with stealth. The only thing I can use it for is taking a five-finger discount when I’m already unseen (because even if you’re inside a locked room NPCs psychically know you’re stealing unless you’re in stealth mode).

3) Bannedicrafts: No crafting at all. Cooking is alright except…

4) No soup for you!: No using the soups or other foods that restore 1 stamina per second to infinitely stunlock enemies. For that matter, no carrying around a stack of 50 stamina potions and chugging one per power attack (a few stamina potions used in a non-silly way are fine though).

5) Noverhead: No getting up on cliffs or boulders the enemy can’t climb and just sitting there getting free hits because I’m the only one in the universe who can jump.

6) Right into the danger zone: No fast traveling, wagon rides, etc. At least not until I’ve taken that route a bunch of times so it would be boring.

7) Nil trainers: No using skill trainers (or silly grinding) to boost up my skills without effort. Every level up has to be earned through actual adventuring, finding skillbooks, etc.

8) Oh know you don’t: No abusing out of character knowledge. This is a really broad one, but basically I’m going to try to roleplay my character such that their choices may be very smart mechanically but always make in-character sense. So no traipsing off to a place I’ve never heard of to go get a legendary weapon I shouldn’t know is there.

9) Victory… or SOVNGARDE!: Permadeath in battle. Anything where my character would take their rightful place in Sovngarde, but not silly things like a basket I bumped richocheting back at 1000 miles an hour (that’s killed me on 3 separate occasions) or walking around a corner and getting one-shot-killed by an arrow from an enemy I didn’t even have a chance to see.

Well there we go, one each for all 9 divines.

The polling on whether I should be a warrior or mage was so close it came down to a single vote! If my mage character Hjalti Montrose dies early (or I successfully complete his intended story), then I'll try again as a warrior.

Melth fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Through might of muscles, prove yourself. Warrior.
And
9) I swear these are for when I forget my keys, officer: Only lockpick doors you cant find the keys to. chests are fair game because fuuuuck that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mage because playing as a warrior seems tedious and boring to me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Mage because playing as a warrior seems tedious and boring to me.
lol :v:

Mage, it should increase your survivability slightly. As long as you don't mind running out of mana before you've even taken half the hit points off an enemy.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Through might of muscles, prove yourself. Warrior.
And
9) I swear these are for when I forget my keys, officer: Only lockpick doors you cant find the keys to. chests are fair game because fuuuuck that.

I’m not sure I understand? Like if a key exists for a door I must go and find that key rather than picking the lock? That seems like it would require a lot of out of character knowledge (and also for me to have a perfect memorized list of all keys and doors in the universe)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Melth posted:

I’m not sure I understand? Like if a key exists for a door I must go and find that key rather than picking the lock? That seems like it would require a lot of out of character knowledge (and also for me to have a perfect memorized list of all keys and doors in the universe)

Sounded good in theory. Mainly because usually I tend to go lazy and just lockpick sequence break through some dungeons.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mage, because I find the difference between spells more interesting than the difference between weapons.

Also, are you married to vanilla or will you accept mod suggestions?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hmm, this may be more interesting than the other LP going on right now. The guy knows his stuff, that much is true, but every video eventually turns into him plinking away with a bow and arrow from stealth for 45 minutes. It's one thing if you're doing that yourself in your own game, but it really doesn't make for interesting viewing.

Anyway, I'd actually like to see a Fighter, because permadeath makes combat much more meaningful when you don't have a dozen flame atronarchs backing you up at every turn.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Ooh, this sounds entertaining.

So is the thread over if you get a suitably metal death, or will you restart a time or two?

Spellblade: One-handed weapon + spell. Axes are neat too.

edit: Not one of the fuckin' beast races, please. Mad Khajiit and Wizard Lizards are not funny anymore.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 7, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Hmm, this may be more interesting than the other LP going on right now. The guy knows his stuff, that much is true, but every video eventually turns into him plinking away with a bow and arrow from stealth for 45 minutes. It's one thing if you're doing that yourself in your own game, but it really doesn't make for interesting viewing.

Is that the Ironman one where he can die 8 times before it becomes an actual Ironman challenge? Because boy yeah that sure sounds like a boring waste of everyone's time twice over.

I got bored of Sneak Archery when I was playing, because it's both really boring, really easy and yet really slow. At least Sneak Daggers deal all of the damage ever and get you sweet kill anims every time for good measure. Still gets old real quick tho'.

I might be forgetting some fun builds, but I think the only one I haven't at least attempted at some point is good ol' fashioned fisticuffs - biggest, heaviest armor and the almighty Iron Fist bearing down on poor fools. Probably isn't that good at damage for the longest time, though, so it'd probably be really tedious for ages especially without smithing real stuff to use with it.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 7, 2017

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Regarding mods, I’m going to keep things very close to vanilla. I guess I’m open to suggestions but I plan on only:

1) the unofficial patch

2) the quest reward leveler so I can do the fun quests without waiting for level 40

3) Disable killcams against the player. I have no idea what they were smoking when they decided to give enemies a luck based chance of cinematically one-shotting the player with no chance to dodge, block, stun, etc. It’s one of the stupidest ideas I’ve ever seen in a video game. If I’m a mage I’ll disable killcams for myself too since they glitch constantly for magic.

RickVoid posted:

Ooh, this sounds entertaining.

So is the thread over if you get a suitably metal death, or will you restart a time or two?

Spellblade: One-handed weapon + spell. Axes are neat too.

edit: Not one of the fuckin' beast races, please. Mad Khajiit and Wizard Lizards are not funny anymore.

Don’t worry, there’s no way in Coldharbor I would ever play one of the sub-human races. With my LPs I always try to show the smartest ways to approach a game. Khajiit are completely worthless even at their intended role (and I’ll go into which races are best and worst at great length later). Argonians are not completely worthless but they do suck.

Similarly though I’m not going to play with spells in one hand and weapons in the other; that’s one of the worst possible fighting styles. Now I could play a hybrid magic and weapons character, but I wouldn’t use that fighting style.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dragonatrix posted:

Is that the Ironman one where he can die 8 times before it becomes an actual Ironman challenge? Because boy yeah that sure sounds like a boring waste of everyone's time twice over.

Yup, that's the one. He also did a New Vegas run that was a little more interesting, due to added conditions, but, again, it all boils down to sneak&snipe&sneak&snipe&...

Like I said, the guy knows the game well, which is good, but anything even looks at him, he runs to the other end of the map. Even speeding up combat (which is all bow and arrows), every fight takes way too long, and he only gets into melee combat if he has a follower with him and the enemy is fighting them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

mage, the added variety in spell schools should help avoid the tedium of bashing the billionth zombie with a slightly bigger club than the one before that.

actually, here's a thought: after the mandatory tutorial dungeon, don't go to riverwood/whiterun, but anywhere else.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 7, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Do it as a mage because I think magic in this game is dumb.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you're not wrong.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

double nine posted:

mage, the added variety in spell schools should help avoid the tedium of bashing the billionth zombie with a slightly bigger club than the one before that.

actually, here's a thought: after the mandatory tutorial dungeon, don't go to riverwood/whiterun, but anywhere else.

This is part of why I love Skyrim. Finished the tutorial?

Pick a direction. Have fun.

After several hundred hours it's now hard to find something that feels new, but it took several hundred hours and I dunno how many characters and mods to get there.

I've only actually finished the game once though.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Oh as a note for you guys voting; if I'm a mage then I will definitely be a vampire. If I'm a warrior I guess I'll join the dawnguard but it's not going to be a priority.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Even more reason to be a Mage then.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I have an arbitrary challenge for you, should you choose to accept it:

No Graverobbing: You cannot loot dead enemies (unless it's necessary for quest/progression reasons).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Melth posted:

I have no idea what they were smoking when they decided to give enemies a luck based chance of cinematically one-shotting the player with no chance to dodge, block, stun, etc.
They were probably thinking that it would be pretty funny. And it is!

Melth posted:

If I’m a mage I’ll disable killcams for myself too since they glitch constantly for magic.
You mean how you get the slow-motion shot of your attack zooming harmlessly past your enemy's elbow and hitting the side of a hill 100m behind them? But that's literally the best thing in the entire game!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I suspect that it is more how it's just random slow motion of your spells being normal. You don't even get a screaming burning corpse collapsing or anything. It's just a waste of time. Arrow hits at least have the projectile cam and melee has neat stuff where you kick a dog/wolf in the ribs and drive an axe through its back.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Poil posted:

I suspect that it is more how it's just random slow motion of your spells being normal. You don't even get a screaming burning corpse collapsing or anything. It's just a waste of time. Arrow hits at least have the projectile cam and melee has neat stuff where you kick a dog/wolf in the ribs and drive an axe through its back.

It’s both. The arrow cam can glitch sometimes too, but not all the time at least. And seeing that projectile cam can be a fun pat on the back if you made a skillful trick shot against a moving target or something. On the other hand, projectile magic takes very little skill to hit with, so there’s not much to celebrate following the projectile. And then yeah it always glitches and misses. And then sometimes you’re frozen in time for minutes on end as enemies walk up and kill you in slow motion.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

ApeHawk posted:

No Graverobbing: You cannot loot dead enemies (unless it's necessary for quest/progression reasons).

Hm. I think I'd miss out on too many unique, interesting items and like 90% of all quest rewards. Thanks for the suggestion though.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Mage

I remember the damage spells being useless rear end and I look forward to you getting around that.

I'm guessing paralysis/illusion spam.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

No Graverobbing: You cannot loot enemies Objects, including chests, shelves, and sarcophagi. (unless it's necessary for quest/progression reasons).

Fixed that for ya.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That also seems really dumb to me. Most of the "challenges" in this run are basically Melth saying "I won't exploit this feature of the game to become ridiculously OP". This, on the other hand, coupled with the "no crafting" challenge, just seems to be saying "don't have money".

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
It's not a bad challenge idea for another kind of LP, but I don't think it's a perfect fit here. My goal is more to show how to face legendary at its full ferocity and defeat it without exploits, so I'm mainly looking for exploits to rule out in advance. I also think it would add less raw difficulty than you might think. As a mage, I will be drowning in money before long. Warriors may have a money shortage for a while, but eventually anyone in Skyrim can become extremely rich with normal play. Taking away one out of about 4 major money sources would certainly slow the gain, but not eliminate it entirely.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A real nord uses weapons. Warrior.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Go with a Nord Warrior who uses two-handers and guzzles potions like there's no tomorrow.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Currently Mage has a hefty lead so I’m going with that (unless a ton of people vote for warrior this morning before I start working on the first episode). If I die though I’ll try again as a warrior. Either way, I’ve got a character idea in mind.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'd like to vote warrior if it isn't too late

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

ilmucche posted:

I'd like to vote warrior if it isn't too late

It's not too late yet, but the clock is really ticking now! Rickvoid, since I'm not doing a spellblade are you going to pick a side in warrior vs mage?

emormu
Jan 16, 2012
I'll toss in another vote for Warrior.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Gimmick option: both. Warrior and mage, but each episode you only use one loadout - either regular spells, or the special short-ranged spell that is "a big loving weapon."

This is probably a bad gimmick though. It would change things up a bit, but it's probably not worth doing.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I"ll vote for Warrior too, avoiding exploits means you have honor, not like those tricksy mages always cheating their way through life.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Jeez, Magic is pretty trash in Skyrim I find. Wouldn't mind seeing a mage run to be proven wrong.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Melee, heavy armor, FISTICUFFS!

So yeah, Warrior

lordlimpet
Apr 9, 2005
that one in the corner
Fun Shoe
I'm going for mage. zap, zap, zap!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Mage wins by 1 vote then, I'm going to start working on the video. And if I get killed, I'll try again as a warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Mage would have been my vote, so this works.

Looking forward to the video.