Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
that part of the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I thought it was kinda odd that so much of Fallout 3 is about slavery and yet it's not in 4 at all outside of that one quest with the ghoul kid.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I thought it was kinda odd that so much of Fallout 3 is about slavery and yet it's not in 4 at all outside of that one quest with the ghoul kid.

Fallout 3 took place below the Mason-Dixon

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If I’m going to make the whole commonwealth into raider settlements, is there anything I should setup before I begin that process? I’m playing on survival so I wanna connect some of my poo poo together.

I did this. It was probably my favorite playthrough. I think this video and his other one were the only reference I needed.

https://youtu.be/cgUQCpIbRMo

There are a lot of little rules that can gently caress you out of resources and cash. Pretty sure this dude covers them all. But briefly, raider settlements automatically connect workbenches, so that worry goes away. The new worry is food for your raider horde.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

I did this. It was probably my favorite playthrough. I think this video and his other one were the only reference I needed.

https://youtu.be/cgUQCpIbRMo

There are a lot of little rules that can gently caress you out of resources and cash. Pretty sure this dude covers them all. But briefly, raider settlements automatically connect workbenches, so that worry goes away. The new worry is food for your raider horde.

Seems easy enough. Cheers.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is it possible to make sanctuary into a raider base? I haven’t met Preston. The only quest I’ve done aside from some nuka world parks are escaping from the vault. I hate to imagine how Bethesda deals with Preston wanting to live there and me wanting to make it a raider hell hole.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is it possible to make sanctuary into a raider base? I haven’t met Preston. The only quest I’ve done aside from some nuka world parks are escaping from the vault. I hate to imagine how Bethesda deals with Preston wanting to live there and me wanting to make it a raider hell hole.

IIRC you can do it but you have to get rid of any named characters, which means ODing Mama Murphy, joining the Minutemen and then moving Preston and Sturges to a different settlement.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean.

The synths being slaves is the Railroad's whole deal to the point of ignoring everything else about the Institute worth fighting. But yeah human slaves are only really alluded to with the ghoul kid and Cait's background. Whcih is pretty weird. Guess the Commonwealth is too low in population for it to be organised with the main settlements being against it and the Brotherhood likely wiped it out further south.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Wolfsheim posted:

IIRC you can do it but you have to get rid of any named characters, which means ODing Mama Murphy, joining the Minutemen and then moving Preston and Sturges to a different settlement.

Or just leave him in Concord. But yeah there's no alternate raider route that dissolves the Minutemen or anything. Man on other things that Bethesda should have done, faction territory control could have been more game like. Clear out raider nests to give to factions for forts (or have them expand into naturally if they're close), help settlements to get them to join the Minutemen or go in and either help or force them into Brotherhood protection (racket). That poo poo would be easy to do and would have been easy to sell to people.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

A Sometimes Food posted:

That poo poo would be easy to do and would have been easy to sell to people.

Please, this is Bethesda we're talking about. We're just going to get inexplicable bugs where the Brotherhood goes hostile because a mutie nailed a touchdown or something.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

isndl posted:

Please, this is Bethesda we're talking about. We're just going to get inexplicable bugs where the Brotherhood goes hostile because a mutie nailed a touchdown or something.

...that's not a bug, that's a feature?

("Touchdown" is the achievement you get when a super mutant suicider rushes into the score zone and spikes the mini-nuke.)

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi guys we got our first real footage of Fallout 4 VR.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/53ztTpcdK8CKSmG8migYsU/fallout-4-vr-launch-details

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A Sometimes Food posted:

Or just leave him in Concord. But yeah there's no alternate raider route that dissolves the Minutemen or anything. Man on other things that Bethesda should have done, faction territory control could have been more game like. Clear out raider nests to give to factions for forts (or have them expand into naturally if they're close), help settlements to get them to join the Minutemen or go in and either help or force them into Brotherhood protection (racket). That poo poo would be easy to do and would have been easy to sell to people.

This would have been pretty neat if it played a bit like Mafia 3 in that you have to give administration of settlements and territories to one of the factions. Each faction will do something else with the territory that the others won't and will conflict with the others. If you want to go all in on a faction, that's easy enough, but if you want to play all sides then you've got to keep them happy.

Of course, doing that would really have required them to introduce you to all the outfits a little bit earlier than most of them are. Perhaps you wake up in an institute facility after being pulled from cryo, so you get your first introduction to the Institute and how they see things from inside their safe little science lab bubble. The Brotherhood start their attacks on Institute facilities and patrols that result in you getting disconnected from the institute (maybe it damages your pip-boy), and they interrogate you but offer you a chance to "do the right thing" and sign on with them. You quickly meet Minutemen patrols that are trying to keep the wasteland from falling apart, focusing on raider problems and can sign up with Preston, but the Railroad seeks you out because you've already been on the inside of the Institute and they want to help you back in while keeping you on their side. They help you get back in touch with the Institute and now you can keep working for the people you started with or stick with one of the other guys.

fallout4whatcouldhavebeen.txt

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

A Sometimes Food posted:

You can't leave him in Concord because Codsworth won't leave Sanctuary until you rescue his group, and I can't even imagine what kind of bizarre bugs would occur if they let you finish that quest afterwards and have Preston and co. walk into a preexisting raider camp to settle down. Basically they won't even give you the option to do raider poo poo at any settlement that has active quest stuff going on, I believe.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One nice thing about Raiderizing the commonwealth is that vassal farms don't require any upkeep. You lose the ability to build anything there, but you don't really need to either. Raider Outposts are automatically connected as if by supply chains, too, and if you've got a lot of farms under your thumb the overboss chest in Nuka World starts filling up with a LOT of caps.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

oh yeah the Video Game Awards are today, Todd Horward will be there and maybe announce something????

isndl
May 2, 2012

Glazius posted:

...that's not a bug, that's a feature?

("Touchdown" is the achievement you get when a super mutant suicider rushes into the score zone and spikes the mini-nuke.)

Yeah, but why's the Brotherhood mad at me for it? :iiam:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I guess I can’t ever make sanctuary a raider base because of Preston? That’s so Bethesda lol. It’s funny how less elegant their safety ending is compared to New Vegas. I haven’t raised the commonwealth at all but it seems he’ll magically know that I’m overboss when I rescue him even if I’ve never raided.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Maybe because I'm used to the game as I've tweaked it, and because they're projecting an image designed for a 3D headset onto a monitor, but that looks just awful... really. The low res textures look like they're from about 10 years ago and the funky distortion that occurs whenever the player looks up or down makes it look like they ported this back to the Build engine or something.

Think I'm going to wait another 20 years before hopping on the 3D bandwagon.

edit: also

frajaq posted:

oh yeah the Video Game Awards are today, Todd Horward will be there and maybe announce something????
This is what our buddy Todd is probably doing at tonight's award ceremony.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 8, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I guess I can’t ever make sanctuary a raider base because of Preston? That’s so Bethesda lol. It’s funny how less elegant their safety ending is compared to New Vegas. I haven’t raised the commonwealth at all but it seems he’ll magically know that I’m overboss when I rescue him even if I’ve never raided.

Yeah you can, but you have to buddy up with him long enough to get him as a companion so you can send him some place else. You also have to complete mama Murphy's questline, and send sturges and all those other fools somewhere else. If you think that sounds contradictory to the role you are playing, buckle up, because raider boss is probably the least accommodated story in the game. It's accommodated very well in the environment though, so once you jump over all the dumb hurdles, the end result is really cool. If role playing is a concern, I'd recommend the institute as a faction. Running it like Stalin fits well with being a raider boss, although you'll lose vertibirds as an alternate fast travel in survival.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Yeah you can, but you have to buddy up with him long enough to get him as a companion so you can send him some place else. You also have to complete mama Murphy's questline, and send sturges and all those other fools somewhere else. If you think that sounds contradictory to the role you are playing, buckle up, because raider boss is probably the least accommodated story in the game. It's accommodated very well in the environment though, so once you jump over all the dumb hurdles, the end result is really cool. If role playing is a concern, I'd recommend the institute as a faction. Running it like Stalin fits well with being a raider boss, although you'll lose vertibirds as an alternate fast travel in survival.

So even if I’m overboss I can still join the minutemen long enough to kick him out of sanctuary?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

isndl posted:

Yeah, but why's the Brotherhood mad at me for it? :iiam:

A super mutant succeeded at something.

Clearly this is The Protagonist's Fault.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So even if I’m overboss I can still join the minutemen long enough to kick him out of sanctuary?

I knocked out the minutemen stuff then went raider boss and never looked back, so I don't remember the details. I think Preston is still available to be a companion up until you conquer a certain amount of settlements in the commonwealth. Maybe 3. He'll give you a warning first telling you to cut it out, but you can still tell him to shut his dumb loving mouth and follow orders and he will.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
For VR I would expect them to implement eating by shoving stuff into your face and manually shooting stimpacks into your arms, but I guess they would have shown that off in the videos if they had done it. Big missed opportunity.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Seashell Salesman posted:

For VR I would expect them to implement eating by shoving stuff into your face and manually shooting stimpacks into your arms, but I guess they would have shown that off in the videos if they had done it. Big missed opportunity.

Looking forward to VR cannibalism

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dr.Smasher posted:

Looking forward to VR cannibalism

Can you imagine the 90s headlines for a game that let you eat your son's corpse in VR?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Vault interior walls are powered, as long as a generator is connected via wire to a conduit - stick a conduit on a connected section of wall, you got juice.

Exterior walls are entirely unpowered, and don't pass power to other sections - unless poo poo has changed/been patched since I finished Nuka World when the DLC released.

If nothing else, you can put a single atrium wall segment backing onto your vault cabin on the outside and put a vault conduit on it, use that as your power accessor.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Or just leave him in Concord. But yeah there's no alternate raider route that dissolves the Minutemen or anything.

To be fair, partially this is because the Minutemen exist as a final fallback for the factional storyline completions.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 10, 2017

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can someone explain nuka world to me. Because I raided the commonwealth and it told me to setup 8 raider settlements to unlock this chest, but that was the total number of settlements I could attack total so now there is no one to give tribute. Do I need to go start my own settlements so I actually have people that can give tribute? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of all this?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Can you avoid this settlement building part of the game and just go explore in the Wasteland? I liked FO3, didn't care about FO4's writing, so not sure if this would be right up my alley.

e: Las Vegas' writing, not FO4 duh

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 14, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012

mike12345 posted:

Can you avoid this settlement building part of the game and just go explore in the Wasteland? I liked FO3, didn't care about FO4's writing, so not sure if this would be right up my alley.

Apart from a couple points in the main quest where you need to use the settlement workshop mode to do something, you can ignore settlements entirely.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Looks like you're about to drop the hottest rap album in 200 years.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

mike12345 posted:

e: Las Vegas' writing, not FO4 duh

the only downside to ignoring settlements is they do have one nice function: they collect crafting scrap for you while you're out adventuring. (and if you link them with caravans, they all have ALL your resources). Of course, you can just scavenge or buy all your own stuff if you want to go that way, just take more ranks in Fortune Finder so you have the caps to do so (Fortune Finder is incredibly good, as is Scrounger)

Speedball fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 15, 2017

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, partially this is because the Minutemen exist as a final fallback for the factional storyline completions.

You can piss off Preston and what's her name that joins you after you take the castle, Ronnie Shaw I think? so much that they attack you on sight. I'm pretty sure this is after you capture 2 settlements (Preston gets super pissed and won't follow you around anymore after you capture 1, which I consider a bonus since he's loving irritating). If you piss off every other faction can you still complete the game?

I think you might be able to patch things up with the minutemen if you then go back and reconquer all of your raider settlements in the wasteland but it would be a super douche move to HAVE to do this to complete the main game.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Speedball posted:

the only downside to ignoring settlements is they do have one nice function: they collect crafting scrap for you while you're out adventuring. (and if you link them with caravans, they all have ALL your resources). Of course, you can just scavenge or buy all your own stuff if you want to go that way, just take more ranks in Fortune Finder so you have the caps to do so (Fortune Finder is incredibly good, as is Scrounger)

Ammo press is pretty nice. Literally the only manufacturing item worth anything besides maybe weapon/clothes if you want to kit out all your settlers in snazzy suits and gatling lasers.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
the settlements do not gather scrap at all after a hilariously early point

It's something like 200 individual items or some such poo poo? the wiki has the exact number but it's basically useless

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fallout 4 vr is a TON of fun. It's quite janky in some ways but in other ways it just works so intuitively and perfectly, mostly involving combat. sidling up to a corner and peeking around it to take long range shots and then switching to VATS as a raider comes running around the corner and point blank shotgunning him just feels so dang cool. I took an hour and stealthed corvega just crawling around on my hands and knees IRL. so much better than vanilla FO4.

I just posted the below in the VR thread as a somewhat rhetorical question, but may as well ask it for real here : I'm not sure if I've just gotten lucky or if the quests in Fallout 4 are better than I remember. So far I've done Tenpenny Pines/Corvega, went towards town and found Cambridge Fabrication, then did the BoS ArcJet Systems quest. Hit up Diamond City but on my way responded to the Trinity Tower distress call. Then in Diamond City some guy wanted me to help him intimidate the bartender that his wife was cheating with, but that turned into a whole thing where I ambushed a drug deal, killed everyone and got directions to some secret chemlab.

i had done maybe half of these before and half were new, but they were all pretty great. I'm wondering if I've lucked into some better than average quests or if the game is just better than I remember. or maybe these quests really just suck but the VR factor is making them more fun?

edit

https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientIntelligentDragonBatChest

aaah this game owns

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 16, 2017

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deceitful Penguin posted:

the settlements do not gather scrap at all after a hilariously early point

It's something like 200 individual items or some such poo poo? the wiki has the exact number but it's basically useless

That's what that was... I wondered why the mobs would disengage from that task but didn't do anything about it.

That's nothing that a few hauling runs in a stripped down power armor frame can't fix. So now I can run one base as a scrap factory as long as I don't mind junk hauling a bit... I think I'm going to do this.

Is there a Provisioner mod out there that could automate that process, so I could set a scav base that keeps getting unfilled? Idk how the chunks are being loaded, but the crops don't seem to grow when I sleep in Diamond City for a while so...

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

osirisisdead posted:

That's what that was... I wondered why the mobs would disengage from that task but didn't do anything about it.

That's nothing that a few hauling runs in a stripped down power armor frame can't fix. So now I can run one base as a scrap factory as long as I don't mind junk hauling a bit... I think I'm going to do this.

Is there a Provisioner mod out there that could automate that process, so I could set a scav base that keeps getting unfilled? Idk how the chunks are being loaded, but the crops don't seem to grow when I sleep in Diamond City for a while so...

Simpler to just use a mod to remove the scrap cap.

• Locked thread