Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
So this came out of nowhere, a PC Engine CD ODE for original non duo models: https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1

pretty expensive at $300 but it just kind of came out of nowhere and not only plays CD ISO and Hucard images off of an SD but also acts as a RGB graphics booster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Alucardd posted:

So this came out of nowhere, a PC Engine CD ODE for original non duo models: https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1

pretty expensive at $300 but it just kind of came out of nowhere and not only plays CD ISO and Hucard images off of an SD but also acts as a RGB graphics booster.

This plus a Supergrafx is the complete package. Nearly $600 for the combo though.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

univbee posted:

I looked into this a while back and as far as I'm aware on both the Famicom and Disk System the only game which might require the microphone to complete is Takeshi's Challenge. Every other game I'm aware of it's an easter egg-level gimmick or like used for an optional minigame that you don't have to do.

You can skip pretty much everything in that game if you just throw 30,720 punches on the title screen. I don't think it takes you to the ending, but to the final area (where you have to walk left to get the treasure, which then starts the ending). I forget, but I did actually verify that this was the case years ago; most people reported it was about 20,000 punches.

(I may have cheated a little by reverse engineering that part of the code.)

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

mycophobia posted:

I think you can hit select on controller 2 or something?

The original Famicom omitted the Start and Select buttons from controller 2 to make room for the microphone (which was really just a sound-activated button; the console is way too weak to do any sort of voice recognition). They're obviously present and working on the NES/AV Famicom, but a lot of games still didn't bother checking them because of this.

Fun fact: at least one of the secret bonuses in Star Soldier is unobtainable on an NES because it requires you to yell into the microphone. The US release did not fix this.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Alucardd posted:

Why doesn't this work with Turbografx? Is the pinout different somehow?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

falz posted:

Why doesn't this work with Turbografx? Is the pinout different somehow?

The shape of the expansion port on the TG16 may not allow for an easy fit, is my guess.

EDIT: Or they just didn't try it out, if it was developed in Japan and didn't have access to a US TG16.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 7, 2017

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

The shape of the expansion port on the TG16 may not allow for an easy fit, is my guess.

EDIT: Or they just didn't try it out, if it was developed in Japan and didn't have access to a US TG16.

The team is based in Spain. They developed the first Neo-Geo flashcart and apparently have a lot of other projects in the works. Their M.O. is to simply announce the product when it is ready for release which I think is the best policy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Alucardd posted:

That's really cool.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oh sure... release that a month after I order a PCE Duo

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Who am I kidding, though. I'll probably still get one.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mister Chief posted:

The team is based in Spain. They developed the first Neo-Geo flashcart and apparently have a lot of other projects in the works. Their M.O. is to simply announce the product when it is ready for release which I think is the best policy.

Good to know.

I imagine the same hardware availability / market focus thing applies for why they don't mention compatibility with the TG16, since its presence in Europe was about as substantial and lasting as a mouse fart in a hurricane. So it wouldn't surprise me if the TG16/PCE community over there is mainly about Japanese hardware and software imports, which is why it seems to be their explicit target market.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Looks like the board itself is compatible with the TG16, but the plastic casing is not; the TG16 requires a slightly wider case. Videos show that the bare card does work.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheMadMilkman posted:

Looks like the board itself is compatible with the TG16, but the plastic casing is not; the TG16 requires a slightly wider case. Videos show that the bare card does work.

This is what I figured would be the case; the physical dimensions of the TG16's expansion port blocking a successful pairing, but it otherwise being compatible.

Good to know for those with TG16 units, though!

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Good to know.

I imagine the same hardware availability / market focus thing applies for why they don't mention compatibility with the TG16, since its presence in Europe was about as substantial and lasting as a mouse fart in a hurricane. So it wouldn't surprise me if the TG16/PCE community over there is mainly about Japanese hardware and software imports, which is why it seems to be their explicit target market.

The TG16 was released as the TG16 in France for a little bit but the vast majority of the European market just got imported and cheaply PAL-modded PCEs and Japanese games.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Looks like I will probably sell my Duo for one of these. I'm curious about compatibility though

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Quiet Feet posted:

He was never really into the SNES. The wired controllers would be a no-go too unless they're super long.

Edit: I guess I didn't mention, where he sits in the living room I can't see an average wired controller reaching from where a system would be hooked up.

RetroPi with a wireless 360 controller works well. Just make sure to get an actual power supply and not just a USB->outlet converter, otherwise you'll get random slowdowns (you'll see a yellow lightning bolt in the corner of the screen when that happens).

I have one in my living room for link to the past rando and a bunch of old game gear games I played growing up, works great.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quiet Feet posted:

He was never really into the SNES. The wired controllers would be a no-go too unless they're super long.

Edit: I guess I didn't mention, where he sits in the living room I can't see an average wired controller reaching from where a system would be hooked up.

http://www.8bitdo.com/#Products
http://www.8bitdo.com/retro-receiver-snes-sfc-classic/

Grab one of these controllers and an adapter - the controllers work with PC, Switch and Pi and the adapters let them work with NES/SNES Mini plus Wii and Wii U.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I asked neosdstore, who pointed to this thread:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?273291-PCE-Super-SD-System-3-Terraonion-New-Product-(Dec-2017)

It says there should be no pinout issues but perhaps physical with the case. On page 2 it sounds like someone tested it and it does work.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

d0s posted:

just wondering because idk your use case, are you going for 15khz/240P? I'm wondering which would be best for that, or if both would be pretty much the same. I'm concerned with the RGB video quality foremost, and all the stuff like the software is secondary to me. If it looks as close as possible to a real PCB on a 15khz CRT I am willing to put up with a lot.
FWIW I ordered my rpi2jamma yesterday, dude shipped it same day so it should arrive soonish.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

FWIW I ordered my rpi2jamma yesterday, dude shipped it same day so it should arrive soonish.

cool, excited to hear your impressions!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Alucardd posted:

This is some insanely awesome poo poo. I'm assuming it doesn't work with Duos so that kinda sucks for people who have them. I don't think standard PCEs or Coregrafxes are very expensive though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Said to me an hour ago: "I've been playing this obscure game lately. You probably haven't heard of it. Wolfenstein 3D."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Said to me an hour ago: "I've been playing this obscure game lately. You probably haven't heard of it. Wolfenstein 3D."

hahahaha what

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hipsters are out of control, man.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I bet this the type of motherfucker that says Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt is worth the 50 dollars.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I bet this the type of motherfucker that says Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt is worth the 50 dollars.

IT KICKSTARTED A REVOLUTION MAN

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hexwren posted:

hahahaha what

Not even Spear of Destiny...

Hey guys, I've been playing an obscure game you probably haven't heard of. Tetris.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If that dude was reppin’ Rise of the Triad or Blake Stone, I’d forgive it. But c’mon. That’s still id Software!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
There is this hidden gem I discovered. Its called Pong. Also, on the go, the Snake game is a must play, I can't believe it isn't more popular.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

FireMrshlBill posted:

There is this hidden gem I discovered. Its called Pong. Also, on the go, Nibbler is a must play, I can't believe it isn't more popular.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random Stranger posted:

Not even Spear of Destiny...

Hey guys, I've been playing an obscure game you probably haven't heard of. Tetris.

Pffft, that's that rip-off of Dr. Mario, right? :smug:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Now if he'd said Castle Wolfenstein...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Now if he'd said Castle Wolfenstein...

I was thinking Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, actually. Or Curse of the Catacombs to go the other direction in the family tree.

I know we're game nerds so our standards of "obscure" are completely out of whack (what is the most obscure game that everyone here would instantly recognize, anyway? Magic Knights Rayearth for the Saturn, maybe? Devil World?), but Wolf3D has been featured in the national media.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

I know we're game nerds so our standards of "obscure" are completely out of whack (what is the most obscure game that everyone here would instantly recognize, anyway? Magic Knights Rayearth for the Saturn, maybe? Devil World?)

Trio the Punch
Pu-Li-Ru-La
Wrecking Crew 98
Bio Force Ape

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Discount Viscount posted:

Trio the Punch
Pu-Li-Ru-La
Wrecking Crew 98
Bio Force Ape

I only know bio force ape.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Depends on what "recognize" means, honestly. Look at a picture of and know, or read the name of and know, or what?

e: I think the second one is the Patriots, didn't you play MGS2

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Mother 3.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

what is the most obscure game that everyone here would instantly recognize, anyway?

NES:
Taboo
Monster Party

SNES:
Front Mission: Gun Hazard
Ranma 1/2 (the fighter)
BS F-Zero

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
My NES RGB board just came in the mail today. I figure the easiest thing to do is just attach it to a multi-out that I harvested from a dead SNES rather than hook up the different connectors that come with it.

But I can't find a good guide for how to wire that up. Is it as simple as matching the pinout from an SNES to the pads on the NES RGB board?

And then can I just use a standard SNES RGB cable to plug it in? I don't want to screw up this board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mmmmmmmn boi...