Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

JazzmasterCurious posted:

How are the Kailh brown switches compared to Cherrys? My Google research show they have bigger tolerances for variance in force / actuation distance etc and that they can be "wildly" different across a single board. That info is a few years old now, from what I found, so I wondered if they've ironed it out now that mechanicals are ever more popular?

e: Sorry, OP says nope lol. I'll trust the OP. drat, have to save up a bit longer for a proper one and go for clears (love blues but can't have the noise). I guess my fingers will thank me.

The OP's switch recommendations are pretty outdated now. Kailh has retooled their old switches and I'd say they have the best brown switches out there right now, with Gateron being 2nd. The new Kailh Browns have a sharper bump, Gateron Browns are very smooth and light, but has a less pronounced bump. Cherry Browns have a smaller bump and are slightly scratchy, though Cherry has retooled their switches as well so it's not as scratchy as before (bump is still pretty small though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Constellation I posted:

The OP's switch recommendations are pretty outdated now. Kailh has retooled their old switches and I'd say they have the best brown switches out there right now, with Gateron being 2nd. The new Kailh Browns have a sharper bump, Gateron Browns are very smooth and light, but has a less pronounced bump. Cherry Browns have a smaller bump and are slightly scratchy, though Cherry has retooled their switches as well so it's not as scratchy as before (bump is still pretty small though).
Good to know, thanks :) I've seen a metal chassis, plate mounted keyboard with plain white lighting (I code in the dark) and Kailh Browns for $60, and wondering if I should save for a $120 one with MX Browns instead. Might just go for the cheapo and try it out then.

I think I'd really like a WASD with MX Clears but at $150 plus $30-50 shipping to Norway - AND taxes / customs on top of that - it's prohibitively expensive these days :(

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

I think I'd really like a WASD with MX Clears but at $150 plus $30-50 shipping to Norway - AND taxes / customs on top of that - it's prohibitively expensive these days :(

https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/vortex-g104-ansi-mx-clear_21/

101EUR+shipping from Belgium. No taxes or customs. Vortex is a Costar OEM, made in Taiwan, in the same factory as WASD afaik.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

What the gently caress are Zealios?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Odette posted:

What the gently caress are Zealios?

They're a type of switch for mechanical keyboards

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
And overpriced as hell.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

mewse posted:

They're a type of switch for mechanical keyboards

Well yeah, but what's the appeal?

teraflame posted:

And overpriced as hell.

This entire hobby has huge profit margins, so I'm not really surprised.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Odette posted:

Well yeah, but what's the appeal?

They're supposed to be ~the cadillac~ of keyswitches but I think it's a perceived value thing (much less people are willing to pay the price premium for zeal PCB or stabilizers). They are made by Gateron. The tactile bump is supposed to be slightly more aggressive than other switches. The springs are gold plated and lubed.

Kailh pro purples are supposedly comparable and not priced by an insane person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0cnRdpMdWM

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Terminally Bored posted:

https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/vortex-g104-ansi-mx-clear_21/

101EUR+shipping from Belgium. No taxes or customs. Vortex is a Costar OEM, made in Taiwan, in the same factory as WASD afaik.

I ordered my Pok3r there, everything went quick and smooth. Would buy there again.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Looks like it could be a problem getting a Norwegian (or Nordic *shudder*) ISO layout. But I might go for ANSI anyway. Easier bracket keys for coding and better left shift. Thought it would be complicated but realised I could just change to Norwegian in software for the æøå keys the rare times I actually write Norwegian text.

Who'd-a thunk buying a keyboard would be this hard?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Looks like it could be a problem getting a Norwegian (or Nordic *shudder*) ISO layout. But I might go for ANSI anyway. Easier bracket keys for coding and better left shift. Thought it would be complicated but realised I could just change to Norwegian in software for the æøå keys the rare times I actually write Norwegian text.

Who'd-a thunk buying a keyboard would be this hard?

Same store: https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/ikbc-g104-iso-nor-mx-clear_247/

Costar OEM, too.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

dammit now you're gonna make me learn how to desolder and solder or wait for a million years for a premade kailh pro purple keeb

edit: oh poo poo i just remembered the gmmk and ofc novelkeys has kailh switches in stock

edit2: did the more sensible thing (hah) and got a switch tester to try out some other tactiles before going whole hog on the Kailh Pro Purples

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 12, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Received my gmmk TKL barebones from black friday and it seems to be everything as advertised. Don't have any switches to install in it yet but looking forward to it, I plugged it in and the SMD RGB LED's are nice, bright, and colorful.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

My mass drop keycaps shipped! Nautilus keycaps will be coming sometime soon!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Oh wow, those were estimated to ship on Dec 14. Is this the beginning of a new, more-dependable Massdrop??

Post pics of your keeb when the caps come in!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My Massdrop camera lens is running a bit late at the moment. I can't really use it at the moment anyway thanks to a shitstain opening his door into bicycle traffic. (Broken hand.)

Boy howdy typing is fun.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Oh wow, those were estimated to ship on Dec 14. Is this the beginning of a new, more-dependable Massdrop??

Post pics of your keeb when the caps come in!

Will do!

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010
I ordered the Plum 87 from Massdrop, and they said it would ship on Jan. 3 2018 and it looks like I might get it this week.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

My Massdrop camera lens is running a bit late at the moment. I can't really use it at the moment anyway thanks to a shitstain opening his door into bicycle traffic. (Broken hand.)

Boy howdy typing is fun.

Argh, that sucks. How long's the projected recovery?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I bought a Logitech K400 for couch surfing.

I tried the Logitech program for adjusting settings and didn't really find anything I wanted and I'm not sure if Windows 8.1 even has this as an option:

Is there any way to map the trackpad surface area to be relatively 1:1 with the screen?

A Wacom tablet I used to have I thought had a setting like this where you could adjust the draw space on the tablet to be just be based around wherever the cursor already was OR you could set it up where wherever you put your stylus on the tablet, the pointer would go to that part of the screen (which is how I'd like to try using this.)

I've tried increasing the sensitivity, but that still has me moving my finger or thumb all around.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Argh, that sucks. How long's the projected recovery?
Probably 3-4 more weeks to approach normalcy. The cast is optional now but I have to be ultra careful with the entire arm. Bone is apparently "tacky" but not fused. I can barely move the finger at all. First occupational therapy today.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone got any idea where to find the red ESC key from this collection, or something like it? https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-mechanical-keyboard-keycaps Cause I really like how it looks, but I can’t find it sold individually.

A red ESC key in general would be pretty boss, actually.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone got any idea where to find the red ESC key from this collection, or something like it? https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-mechanical-keyboard-keycaps Cause I really like how it looks, but I can’t find it sold individually.

They threw the red "ascend" cap into my gmmk tkl barebones order.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Pollyanna posted:

If you just want a red escape key, WASD sells them (though out of stock atm) as well as EliteKeyboards: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_redesc.

Neither is quite as cool as the ascend one though, alas.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Pfft not as cool as the 1.5U irreplaceable Race 3 Esc key ;)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

foutre posted:

If you just want a red escape key, WASD sells them (though out of stock atm) as well as EliteKeyboards: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys&pid=cds_redesc.

Neither is quite as cool as the ascend one though, alas.

So WASD makes custom singles, you could literally make a red one that says “durf”.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Signature Plastics has a collection of novelty 1u keys that you could put in the Esc position:

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/novelty/

I like the Panic button, but mainly because one came with my Godspeed novelties.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Pcmr poo poo is so cringe.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Pollyanna posted:

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/esc-keys-dcs-sa-dsa/

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
drat, I'm stupid. I accidentally ordered (and just received) a key cap set that is for a different layout than mine from AliExpress/KBFans, has anyone had any luck purchasing replacement keys?

Basically I ordered this: https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/327...rry-MX-Switches

But I have a CM Storm which is a standard ten keyless. So i got 1u modifier keys (when mine are actually 1.25u) and a 1.5u shift when mine is like 2.75u, so I need to get replacements.

I'll contact the seller but if they can't help I guess I'm screwed!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I don't think that keyset would have the right-sized keycaps you're looking for. If you can't return it and get a refund, your best bet to recoup would be to sell the set.

Alternatively, it's time for a 70% keyboard in your life :v:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I don't think that keyset would have the right-sized keycaps you're looking for. If you can't return it and get a refund, your best bet to recoup would be to sell the set.

Alternatively, it's time for a 70% keyboard in your life :v:

I have a Poker 3 coming in the new year but it also don't have the right layout :(

I'll try a return :(

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Aww nuts. I believe Poker3s are 60% keyboards :(

lol typing "70%" into reddit search will break it :doh:

mewse
May 2, 2006

This kit matches those caps and is $40 without switches

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

MD is dropping a keyboard designed by some keycap designers (one of them is t0mb3ry) together with GMK.

It’s a $300 70% board with a non standard bottom row with a weird size spacebar.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-uniqey-c70-mechanical-keyboard

mewse
May 2, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

MD is dropping a keyboard designed by some keycap designers (one of them is t0mb3ry) together with GMK.

It’s a $300 70% board with a non standard bottom row with a weird size spacebar.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-uniqey-c70-mechanical-keyboard

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

LochNessMonster posted:

What is it with keyboard geeks and l33tsp3ak? I guess they all adopted their screen names in 1993 when that was sorta cool?

Ma55Dr0p

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I've been on a miniaturizing kick over the past year, from a mini-ITX gaming PC to an 8.5" barrel SBR AR-15, but for some reason I just can't seem to get into keyboards smaller than TKL.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

$300 USD ... lol.

Also lol: https://thedailywtf.com/articles/these-are-not-the-security-questions-you-re-looking-for

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

the only keyboard none of us male nerds can ever learn to use proficiently

eta clarification

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 15, 2017