Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I love the way they stress that line.

Don't forget me!

It's like they're begging you to remember them when they're gone.

YOU THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm up to Chapter 3 and I'm really enjoying the look of the game as well as the collecting blades stuff. My first rare was Perun and it's taken me FOREVER to learn how to unlock her Level 2 stuff. It's a shame I can't actually do it yet. I don't get why hers is so weird but everyone else feels more normal.
It's also cool that Rex is from Bolton and Nia is Welsh! Not as much of a fan of Pyra having a generic American accent but you can't win them all.

And I loving hate all the easy bossfights that then act as though I lost. God drat, why does it do that? It makes the fight feel pointless. I've wasted like 10 minutes fighting Malos or whatever and then a 30 minute cutscene tells me "Actually, you lost".

Someone earlier said there's an easy way to get the map. What is it other than "Press X, scroll to the location you're in, scroll to the part of that location, look there"? Because it's the worst part of the UI to me and I just want to look at where to go since the compass is absolutely worthless.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 8, 2017

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Boss fights were like that in XC1. The point isn't that you're killing them, but that you're fighting them to the point of a climactic point.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Taear posted:

Someone earlier said there's an easy way to get the map. What is it other than "Press X, scroll to the location you're in, scroll to the part of that location, look there"? Because it's the worst part of the UI to me and I just want to look at where to go since the compass is absolutely worthless.

That is the easy way to get to that map. And, just to hammer home what a dumb idiot I am, I literally didn't even realize you could just bring up the Skip Travel menu with X at any time for the first 40 or so hours I played. I seriously have no idea why I never pressed that button or why it never crossed my mind, but I always went into the pause menu, pressed right once and then went to Skip Travel menu, adding another unnecessary step to the whole process. Doesn't really bother me too much all in all tho, other than that it could maybe preselect the area you're currently in or something.

I do however wish that the skip travel map was the actual map you can bring up as an overlay in-game as opposed to them just blowing up the tiny mini map area to fullscreen and zooming in way too far. How did nobody notice this was total crap for navigation? I think my Skip Travel access is like 75% checking the map and 25% actually wanting to quicktravel somewhere.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

abraxas posted:

I do however wish that the skip travel map was the actual map you can bring up as an overlay in-game as opposed to them just blowing up the tiny mini map area to fullscreen and zooming in way too far. How did nobody notice this was total crap for navigation? I think my Skip Travel access is like 75% checking the map and 25% actually wanting to quicktravel somewhere.

Ugh. XCX made it a pain to leave the map and now they're making it a pain to get to it. Surely in playtesting the testers were going onto the thing constantly to check where to go? I don't get why they have to make it such a huge struggle!

And XC1 did have some boss battles where it does what this does but I didn't feel it was every single time. Here, unless it's some generic monster, it's every single fight so far.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Boss fights were like that in XC1. The point isn't that you're killing them, but that you're fighting them to the point of a climactic point.

It works a lot better in some instances than others, like the fight where bad poo poo happens after bringing the boss down to half health.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Srice posted:

It works a lot better in some instances than others, like the fight where bad poo poo happens after bringing the boss down to half health.

I was thrashing them though so it just felt strange. It constantly telling me we're on the brink of death when I'm not even hurt is extra grating.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The point I think is that bosses are challenging and for a lesser player who might die a few times to them, the time where they win with barely any health might have a fixed cinematic like that make more sense. You've optimized that fight to the point where you dont see that (using mechanics well, being overlevelled, just being a veteran rpg player) and it might make better sense if you were a newer player. Plus, its super anime and its an anime cliche.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The point I think is that bosses are challenging and for a lesser player who might die a few times to them, the time where they win with barely any health might have a fixed cinematic like that make more sense. You've optimized that fight to the point where you dont see that (using mechanics well, being overlevelled, just being a veteran rpg player) and it might make better sense if you were a newer player. Plus, its super anime and its an anime cliche.

Also it's kinda hard to sustain a recurring villain being dangerous if you just come within a hair's breadth of killing them repeatedly. It's also not so much a complete no-sell as you managed to keep them on their toes long enough to actually piss them off.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I just wish it was a bit less often.
It's not as grating as the ridiculous boobs and constant underwear shots but it's still annoying. Two or three times I can deal with but it's genuinely been every proper boss battle so far.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

Looking at Zenobia's affinity chart I have to imagine she is hands down the best boss/unique killing blade because goddamn those bonuses. :eyepop:
For the low low price of killing literally 45 different uniques or whatever :shepicide:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I beat the game. My strategy of turtling as a healer until I had like 5 orbs going paid off.

I feel like the plot is a lot weaker than the first one but basically everything else is a lot better. I didn't like that they end game spoilers reused the "scientist does experiment and alters reality" thing again. Feels a lot weaker the second time. it's also weird how the young architect's art style looks a lot like XB1. Is he someone we're supposed to know?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

nerdz posted:

I beat the game. My strategy of turtling as a healer until I had like 5 orbs going paid off.

I feel like the plot is a lot weaker than the first one but basically everything else is a lot better. I didn't like that they end game spoilers reused the "scientist does experiment and alters reality" thing again. Feels a lot weaker the second time. it's also weird how the young architect's art style looks a lot like XB1. Is he someone we're supposed to know?

Did you somehow miss that (endgame) that is literally the same Klaus (well, half of him) that became Zanza?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Once you get enough rare blades, it's not worth using common cores anymore. I used about 200 of them with not a single rare.

I have 12 of the 20 rares you get from common/rare/legendary cores and even rare cores have been complete duds. I'm beginning to think there's a cap based on your story progress.

I'm at chapter 5. I have used the Beastly and Lucky Core, I own the Vess and Praxis cores but not used them.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Did you somehow miss that (endgame) that is literally the same Klaus (well, half of him) that became Zanza?

It's been a long time I've played but yeah, that was my suspicion. Was the third aegis lost to another dimension supposed to be the Monado?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Is there any way to get around the Nullify Heal status? I'm trying to take on a unique monster in Leftheria and it just blocks all my healing for like 30 seconds and whittles everyone down. You can't seal it and there's no accessories that resist it, I'm at a loss.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bland posted:

Is there any way to get around the Nullify Heal status? I'm trying to take on a unique monster in Leftheria and it just blocks all my healing for like 30 seconds and whittles everyone down. You can't seal it and there's no accessories that resist it, I'm at a loss.

There are blades with blade arts that undo debuffs like these.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Moon Monster posted:

Honestly, I'm on chapter five and it seems like a lot of the fights would be virtually impossible without using cancelling/blade combos/party attacks.

Final fantasy 13 had a ton of people that apparently played the entire game treating the stagger mechanic as "bonus" and fighting even basic enemies in 15 minute fights.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

nerdz posted:

There are blades with blade arts that undo debuffs like these.

Is there a way to manually trigger blade arts? I've gone the whole game so far assuming they just happened automatically but Drommarch can cleanse that debuff with his art apparently but for some reason he won't

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Honestly, I'm on chapter five and it seems like a lot of the fights would be virtually impossible without using cancelling/blade combos/party attacks.

Is it just me or are the unique monster wildly variable in difficulty? That crab in the fief of forgetfulness was a real beast, but some just feel like regular enemies with more hp.

I did rely on blade combos and chain attacks for most of my damage, but I felt like driver combos were too risky and with very little payoff, not to mention all the enemies resisting them.

One thing that I seemed to be missing about the game was how to play with attack/tank blades. At the end of the game the damage was so high and so constant that there was no way to survive if you weren't healing the party constantly. After I got the blade with supreme healing power, even switching to regular healing blades meant that you couldn't keep up the pace. How are you supposed to set up your AI partners to keep you alive?

Bland posted:

Is there a way to manually trigger blade arts? I've gone the whole game so far assuming they just happened automatically but Drommarch can cleanse that debuff with his art apparently but for some reason he won't

There is a core thingy called telepathy that increases their proc rate. The strongest one boosts it by over 100%.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

nerdz posted:

There is a core thingy called telepathy that increases their proc rate. The strongest one boosts it by over 100%.

Excellent, thank you.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Godammit, Rex. You dense bastard.

This applies to pretty much the entire game but the end of a certain chapter just made me say this out loud.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Damone posted:

Godammit, Rex. You dense bastard.

This applies to pretty much the entire game but the end of a certain chapter just made me say this out loud.

You've gotta be pretty loving dense to have a girl tell you she loves you, right to your face, and respond by saying you love everyone in the group. Either that or he's trying to let her down gently, but I don't think he's smart enough for that.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How's the music? I loved the track from the original and was happy to see ACE return for this game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mind_Taker posted:

How's the music? I loved the track from the original and was happy to see ACE return for this game.

Wonderful

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

For me there haven't been as many earwormy tracks as the original XC, but XC2's soundtrack is very much in the vein of the original's and great none-the-less.

That said though, the unique-enemy track is pretty boss.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Can someone make a (spoilered?) list of all the unique cores in the game and how/where to aquire them? I'm talking about the ones that guarantee you get a specific blade like the Beast Crystal, Vess, the Inherited Crystal I think it was called... I seem to remember there are 33 unique blades in the game? I'm wondering how many of those I have to "farm" from rare/common crystals and how many I can get through story/side quests/other means.

I'm in Chapter 5 and I feel like I've missed out on a couple maybe, because I'm still absolutely lacking in Launcher Arts. I have plents of Breaks, I have a couple of Topples and I have one Smash that I can remember off the top of my head (Roc), but nobody ever launches anyone anywhere and it's kind of starting to bug me!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

abraxas posted:

Can someone make a (spoilered?) list of all the unique cores in the game and how/where to aquire them? I'm talking about the ones that guarantee you get a specific blade like the Beast Crystal, Vess, the Inherited Crystal I think it was called... I seem to remember there are 33 unique blades in the game? I'm wondering how many of those I have to "farm" from rare/common crystals and how many I can get through story/side quests/other means.

I'm in Chapter 5 and I feel like I've missed out on a couple maybe, because I'm still absolutely lacking in Launcher Arts. I have plents of Breaks, I have a couple of Topples and I have one Smash that I can remember off the top of my head (Roc), but nobody ever launches anyone anywhere and it's kind of starting to bug me!

There's a few in Torigoth. Try investigating the rumors of Core Crystal thieves while you have 10+ of them in your inventory (You'll see a quest-starting "?" on the map). Or spend 500,000g on the one at the knick-knacks store (Salvage with Gold Cylinders at the Salvage Point near the fountain, trade loot at Exchange, repeat. Takes about ten mins, and you'll rocket the Dev Rating up to 5 stars in the process). There's also one from a quest chain that you'll start by running into someone at the marketplace in a non-story cutscene.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SlayVus posted:

Just walking through an area should give you a discovery to open up the map area. If not, you haven't been over there before. And yes, skip travel is the only way to view the map.

On this note, do all the available side quests in an area show up on the skip map? Because it seems like it shows at least some that you haven't encountered while walking. If so that would be really convenient, compared to XB1's side quests that almost required a guide to find/complete.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love how far the game goes to let you know that yes, a driver can have sex with the blades

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nerdz posted:

I love how far the game goes to let you know that yes, a driver can have sex with the blades

I think FF9 has that peeing of a bridge scene just to establish that vivi has a dick since it comes up later that mages can reproduce.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Let's see I'm in Chapter 3 and it's been days since I've looked at the XB2 thread I wonder what's going in th-

nerdz posted:

nice

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nerdz posted:

I dont think it's been that blatant, unless there's a Heart-to-Heart or sidequest I haven't seen yet. Mostly it's just been stuff like Aunt Corinne teasing Pyra about how it wasn't unknown for Drivers and Blades to marry in old stories.

Though I did laugh at something regarding Artificial Blade development by Soosoo; He spent ages going over smutty Blade photo books, because of COURSE that'd be a thing considering how half the unique Blades look. That's gotta be a fun surprise to discover in your next Resonance to a new Driver.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dont think it's been that blatant, unless there's a Heart-to-Heart or sidequest I haven't seen yet. Mostly it's just been stuff like Aunt Corinne teasing Pyra about how it wasn't unknown for Drivers and Blades to marry in old stories.

Though I did laugh at something regarding Artificial Blade development by Soosoo; He spent ages going over smutty Blade photo books, because of COURSE that'd be a thing considering how half the unique Blades look. That's gotta be a fun surprise to discover in your next Resonance to a new Driver.

At some point in the plot a character mentions that bandits will kill drivers with pretty blades and sell their cores with an attached portrait for "reasons"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So how alive is (chapter 5 speculation I guess Addam and is his being alive treated like a big reveal? I mean the game repeats over and over how blades are reformatted every time their drivers die and yet Mythra and Pyra are still all oh yeah you remind me so much of Addam

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
If you use somebodys favorite pouch item, do you get a bonus to that itm's benefit, and of so, what is it? Is there a different bonus for 'liked' versus 'favorite' items, and how long does the bonus last, and how does it activate--do you have to br using that character/blade? Or is the whole 'likes this item' mostly flavor and it doesnt really make a difference outside of characters needing items from their liked groups, and you need to find their favorite item to progress their skill trees sometimes.

I bought a bunch of roly poly maracas for Poppis favorite instrument, then realized I dont even have her 5th affinity unlocked so it doesnt matter.

I was wondering if using them would retroactively count when it does unlock-- but because the boost is so small, I was wondering if it would even be worth it to use them for anything other than her skill tree progression, even with a 'favorite item bonus' applied to the boost, compared to anothr item that might just boost it to that degree ingeneral, but without any 'liked' or 'favorite' bonus.

Also do blade arts just activate randomly?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Devoyniche posted:

Also do blade arts just activate randomly?

Blade arts have a chance to activate in some events. Acc up when you miss, clear debuff when you get a debuff etc. I have no idea what triggers the attack up ones, though.

I also really wish there was a way to upgrade common blades to take their skills to the max. I got a common blade with insanely good attack skills (a skill that boosts your attack by 60% after the first minute and humanoid hunter at a point in the game where every enemy in the game is human.).

Also no idea what is boosted when a liked item is active. Maybe trust point gain?

I'm just cheesing all blades to max trust with the wired turbo controller. You can lock in the A button and just feed hundreds of items to blades and leave it for a few minutes and come back to a max trust blade.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What unlocks golden cylinders at older locations? I'm in chapter four and can buy them at the third titan, but none of the other places have them, even though their development is higher.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I like the sidequests in this game better than XC1. the one about reuniting the Nopon singer with her son is pretty great, didn't expect it to have so many parts.

Found a weird maybe optional dungeon thing near the old factory, but couldn't break open some rusty door. Found a keycard thing but couldn't figure out where that goes. I'm level 35 for the whole party, is that over or underleveled for where I'm at (being at the point right after the first Lila fight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DLC Inc posted:

I like the sidequests in this game better than XC1.

The blade side quests are really blowing my mind. So many games make collectable monsters just a stat block that barely exists in story but this game has like a ten part quest with like voice acting and unique music and cut scenes and merc missions to get ursula in a band and you never see stuff like that. Games treating stuff like that as party members.